General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SE6Ajacied

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma mei 09, 2011 10:51 pm

OK, so here's Barnet v Port Vale as well. http://s322.photobucket.com/albums/nn40 ... 1QQtppZZ24

Quite a bit of interest in this one (hence the flags in attendance including the Dutch one). Barnet had been bottom or second bottom on the whole football league for most of the season but had a mini revival at the end of the season and needed to win this one and hope Aldershot Town beat Lincoln City (who had been mid-table before a horrible run of one win in ten games) in order to stsy in the league after surviving in similar circumstances last year. They got a 1-0 win via a penalty and Lincoln lost 3-0 at home so Barnet stayed up.

Nice little team and ground this - Barnet are historically a non-league team and the ground hasn't changed much since I fiirst came here in the first league season back in 1991-92 to see Blackpool play them in the old division 4.

They are trying to move but are still at their famously quirky (and sloping) ground. There's a history of the team here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... h=&button=
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di mei 10, 2011 8:58 am

A quick update on Braintree Town - they finished champions of the their division of the 6th level so will play next year in the top division outside of the football league. The push for Europe is really on !!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang.gif:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di mei 10, 2011 9:06 am

Over Pasanens Head schreef:A quick update on Braintree Town - they finished champions of the their division of the 6th level so will play next year in the top division outside of the football league. The push for Europe is really on !!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang.gif:
Nice one - I wondered when you'd post something. I assume they'll stay part time so there'll be some really tough games next season.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr mei 13, 2011 2:55 pm

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr mei 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:Here's a good link for you SE6

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... cle/46760/
LOL. I knew about the banner but I hadn't seen that one - priceless!!

Frans

Bericht door Frans » vr mei 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Spare 15 minutes? Check out the pride of the A-League

Amol

Bericht door Amol » za mei 14, 2011 1:24 am

Frans schreef:Spare 15 minutes? Check out the pride of the A-League

I don't think I had laughed that hard all month.

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » za mei 14, 2011 6:08 am

I couldn't stop laughing. The funniest one was the clip were the striker thought he had scored only to realize the ball had actually gone wide. What is the statistic for own goals in that league? They must have their own trophy for that. Anyone catch a glimpse of robbie fowler at the end?
Godenzonen

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » zo mei 15, 2011 8:35 am

:ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:A quick update on Braintree Town - they finished champions of the their division of the 6th level so will play next year in the top division outside of the football league. The push for Europe is really on !!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang.gif:
So, OPH, I'll be able to see Braintree at Telford, (hopefully), in 11/12...
Shrewsbury in 12/13,
Walsall in 13/14,
Wolves in 14/15,
Aston Villa in 15/16.....
and then finally at the Arena in 16/17.......it's a long wait, but I'm sure it'll be worth it!! Hope they've got a place at Braintree where zimmer frames and walking sticks can be stored while we're supping our cocoa and watching the game!!!!

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
34 will always be with us

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo mei 15, 2011 10:59 am

Sorry OPH but the promotion push is already faltering. It seems that Braintree's manager has resigned as he didn't like the company car that was offered :biggrin.gif: . Apparently he drives a Mercedes and thought the secondhand Kia the club offered wasn't up to scratch.....

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » zo mei 15, 2011 7:21 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Sorry OPH but the promotion push is already faltering. It seems that Braintree's manager has resigned as he didn't like the company car that was offered :biggrin.gif: . Apparently he drives a Mercedes and thought the secondhand Kia the club offered wasn't up to scratch.....
Oh thee of little faith :smallgrin.gif:

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo mei 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:Sorry OPH but the promotion push is already faltering. It seems that Braintree's manager has resigned as he didn't like the company car that was offered :biggrin.gif: . Apparently he drives a Mercedes and thought the secondhand Kia the club offered wasn't up to scratch.....
lol - have to say in all seriousness, I don't watch any particular team live regularly and do watch an awful lot of Blue Square Premier and BS South football. I really enjoy it. the standard is reasonable, certainly entertaining and the clubs and league are all very professional and glossy in presentation but this sort of story does make the whole thing look like some tinpot little competition and does that glossy image no favours at all.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma mei 16, 2011 8:56 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:
lol - have to say in all seriousness, I don't watch any particular team live regularly and do watch an awful lot of Blue Square Premier and BS South football. I really enjoy it. the standard is reasonable, certainly entertaining and the clubs and league are all very professional and glossy in presentation but this sort of story does make the whole thing look like some tinpot little competition and does that glossy image no favours at all.
Allegedly the car issue was just the straw that broke the camel's back. There were other financial issues that the club refused to go into debt over.

Anyway the Special One will soon be up for grabs.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Diego Maradona was in Grozny the other day for a friendly all-star kickabout against a Russian all-star team. This was part of the official opening of the new stadium in Grozny.

He was brilliant as usual. Check these two videos!

Number one: Cool free-kick, but - more than anything else - an absolutely brilliant dive! *LOL* :drecul.gif:

Number two: The way he shakes those hands! That cigar! And then the climax! :drecul.gif:

What a dude... Whahahaha.

K.
Still alive...

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » wo mei 18, 2011 8:17 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:OK, so here's Barnet v Port Vale as well.
Funny you should mention this game, i was asked to go by an old friend with a spare ticket. I actually used to play for Port Vale until i was about 16 and found girls and booze! haha.. And a horrific knee injury!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mei 18, 2011 8:35 am

afcajax73 schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:OK, so here's Barnet v Port Vale as well.
Funny you should mention this game, i was asked to go by an old friend with a spare ticket. I actually used to play for Port Vale until i was about 16 and found girls and booze! haha.. And a horrific knee injury!
Well you missed a cracking game - not sure what it was like in the Vale end but I really enjoyed being a Barnet fan for the day....

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mei 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Sad to see Blackpool relegated yesterday. We had the match on the television over here and I was pulling for them against ManU, realizing when the miraculously went up 2-1 that it was probably a bit too much to hope they could hold out for 30 more minutes given their defensive frailties. I guess I had a chance to watch them about 4-5 times this season and they were an entertaining team, going out and attacking regardless of the opposition. Given the slight financial resources I suppose it will take another miracle to make it back into the EPL.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma mei 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Orange14 schreef:Sad to see Blackpool relegated yesterday. We had the match on the television over here and I was pulling for them against ManU, realizing when the miraculously went up 2-1 that it was probably a bit too much to hope they could hold out for 30 more minutes given their defensive frailties. I guess I had a chance to watch them about 4-5 times this season and they were an entertaining team, going out and attacking regardless of the opposition. Given the slight financial resources I suppose it will take another miracle to make it back into the EPL.
Cheers O14, I was a bit too gutted to post anything yesterday. Never actually made a league game (no chance of getting a ticket at anything like reasonable money as the home ones were only sold in multi-packages and the away ones were restricted) but I have seen them loads on TV and have some programmes and Ian Evatt's shirt from Ebay.

All put into some perspective anyway by Menno's post on the Ajax USA thread, despite what Bill Shankly said football is not more important than life and death.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » ma mei 23, 2011 4:15 pm

How bad for Suarez to leave us for a better team, which hasnt achieved anything and will not play in Europe next year! Then of course we will be waving the Champions League "cloth" at least till December... :1evil.gif:
May the Force be with you

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma mei 23, 2011 7:11 pm

souras84 schreef:How bad for Suarez to leave us for a better team, which hasnt achieved anything and will not play in Europe next year! Then of course we will be waving the Champions League "cloth" at least till December... :1evil.gif:
This makes it all the more impressive what Frank managed. Plus, we got a good chunk of money from that sale. So: sell Suarez + win the league = win!
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » ma mei 23, 2011 7:19 pm

:biggrin.gif:
FRANK'S the best!!! However, Suarez deserved to be to a bigger team at the moment. Although that being in Liverpool will either make him a legend or destroy him. He is destined to be their leader...

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mei 23, 2011 7:23 pm

souras84 schreef:Suarez deserved to be to a bigger team at the moment. Although that being in Liverpool will either make him a legend or destroy him. He is destined to be their leader...
I suspect Liverpool will be in the top three next year as the new strike tandem of Suarez and Carroll settle in. The also get Gerard back from injury and will probably pick up a couple of transfers during the summer. Now that the ownership and management issues are settled the team will go forward.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » ma mei 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Yes, and what an ownership! Money flowing on and on... even though I like London teams. I prefer Liverpool from Man Utd

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di jun 14, 2011 8:13 am

Manneken Pis schreef:I see Ruud Gullit is going to take over Terek Grozny from Chechnia in the Russian league.

:drecul.gif:

Anybody want to take a bet on how long this will last before it ends in tears....

My vote is 4 months...
Since I wrote this on 20th January, and it's now 14th June, he lasted three weeks longer than forecasted.....

:smallgrin.gif:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

arizonaajax
Contacteer:

Bericht door arizonaajax » di jun 14, 2011 9:00 am

Orange14 schreef:
souras84 schreef:Suarez deserved to be to a bigger team at the moment. Although that being in Liverpool will either make him a legend or destroy him. He is destined to be their leader...
I suspect Liverpool will be in the top three next year as the new strike tandem of Suarez and Carroll settle in. The also get Gerard back from injury and will probably pick up a couple of transfers during the summer. Now that the ownership and management issues are settled the team will go forward.

I certainly hope you are correct. Even though I hate the Red Sox, they always try to make the needed additions to keep them challenging so I hope the same goes for Liverpool. :biggthumpup.gif:

Plaats reactie