New Players for Ajax

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Davids & Van der Meyde

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo mar 06, 2005 1:09 pm

Italian sports newspaper Gazzetto dello Sport claims that Edgar Davids and Andy van der Meyde will return to Ajax this summer...

Would not be a bad idea. We could use a guy like Davids in midfield.

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Re: Davids & Van der Meyde

Bericht door carcajou » zo mar 06, 2005 3:10 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Italian sports newspaper Gazzetto dello Sport claims that Edgar Davids and Andy van der Meyde will return to Ajax this summer...

Would not be a bad idea. We could use a guy like Davids in midfield.

K.
And which of our excellent players are we supposed to throw them in exchange ? Maxwell ?? Trabelsi ? De Ridder ??

Mr. Ajax

Bericht door Mr. Ajax » zo mar 06, 2005 3:21 pm

I think De Ridder will be staying at AJAX for a while, if not leaving to a lower ranked club. However, Maxwell might certainly take part in an exchange, seeing as his name has popped up in the Italian gossip papers...
- Je bent net zolang gestoord tot je een genie bent -

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » zo mar 06, 2005 5:37 pm

Don't know about VD Meyde. He hasn't really impressed me from the Inter games I've watched this season, even tho he was actually quite good today.

Davids I think would be excellent. An experienced skillful defensive midfielder would be just perfect. I think he would add a lot to this squad.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Service404

Bericht door Service404 » zo mar 06, 2005 9:07 pm

Bring back VDM, Davids, Kluivert, and Gronkjaer. HARK BACK TO THE DAYS OF GLORY!!!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo mar 06, 2005 9:26 pm

jakobg schreef:Davids I think would be excellent. An experienced skillful defensive midfielder would be just perfect. I think he would add a lot to this squad.
Exactly. In addition to that: Davids is experienced, skillful and 100% familiar with the Ajax system, but - more than anything else - he's also a pitbull and a complete pain in the ass of the opponent. A Jan van Halst who can also play football. We could use that.

I am not too sure about VdM either. He was very productive in his last season for Ajax (a good handful of goals and assists), but I've always found it very annoying that he just stands around like a wimpy most of the time. Quite frankly, I thought he was shit most of the time - and in my opinion his last season was the first (and only) in which he was more or less effective, due to his good moments.

I've never seen him play a full game for Inter, but I take it that this is still the case (probably even more so than at Ajax, actually).

Let's wait for a comment from Vak 425/Out Of Pasanen's Tree. He's a season ticket holder and has seen Mandy in action for them a few times.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo mar 06, 2005 9:47 pm

Couldn't agree more. Davids would make a great captain as well. Actually if there is a type of player Ajax need now its someone like Davids.

Dont feel that vdm would add anything we dont already have in the squad.

Maybe we can get back Overmars, Finidi, Kluivert, vd Sar, Blind, Rijkaard etc ;)

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » zo mar 06, 2005 10:39 pm

Interesting one to discuss. Up until recently I thought like Ko that Davids would be a great signing but in the last few games that I have seen him he has only been as a substitute and has not performed that well when he has come on. I have a feeling that he feels he is still too good to come back to the Eredivisie though and his name has been linked with Chelski through a swop deal + money for Veron.

As to Mandy, the times I have seen him play at Inter he has really performed well - but the crowd are constantly on his back and even groan when he comes on as substitute. So there is a chance that he would want to leave.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma mar 07, 2005 10:28 am

Can mandy play somewhere other than the right wing? Based on what little I've seen, I think Rosales and Ridders both have more potential than Mandy. Unless by potential you mean "lots of useless stepovers and a bad cross." Cos then mandy's got them all beat, save for possibly CRonaldo.

But if Mandy is more versatile, and can play somewhere else, where he is not so tempted to try cross overs, then sure why not.

Davids has long been a favorite of mine (I think it's the glasses). He would also add some spine and leadership to the defensive effort. He'd be a good addition.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mar 07, 2005 11:09 am

aveslacker schreef:Can mandy play somewhere other than the right wing?
Nope...and there are questions as to whether he can even play there!

:kloguck:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 07, 2005 12:22 pm

van der Meyde is an excellent right winger, and we may need him there, because Rosales has not been convincing at all.
the problem with Inter is that it is the worst club for an Ajax player : trade total football for catenaccio …
so he has had his ups and downs over there, but that does not mean much

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 07, 2005 12:39 pm

philippe schreef:Rosales has not been convincing at all.
I totally disagree with that, but I don't want to repeat myself.

I think he's our best purchase in years.

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mar 07, 2005 1:00 pm

philippe schreef:van der Meyde is an excellent right winger, and we may need him there, because Rosales has not been convincing at all.
VDM can't cross the ball, lacks ball control, he does have pace, but frankly looks lazy.

Rosales can cross, has ball control, has pace and works hard.

Just my POV.....
Laatst gewijzigd door Manneken Pis op ma mar 07, 2005 2:17 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma mar 07, 2005 1:57 pm

philippe schreef:the problem with Inter is that it is the worst club for an Ajax player : trade total football for catenaccio …
Well Philippe, I think that the above statement shows that you haven't been watching very much Italian football this year.
Inter, with Mancini as coach have played a very expansive game this season and in fact it is their defence that is very creaky.
With forwards of the calibre of Adriano, Martins and Vieri plus the players they have in midfield it is very difficult to be anything but attacking.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef: With forwards of the calibre of Adriano, Martins and Vieri plus the players they have in midfield it is very difficult to be anything but attacking.
please remind me how many of their league games ended with a draw this season :D

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » ma mar 07, 2005 4:09 pm

That's because of their leaky defense. Inter scored more goals than any other team in the serie A.

49 goals: Inter
46 goals: Milan, Roma, Lecce
45 goals: Juve

That's more goals than any french team!
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 07, 2005 4:25 pm

It is very strange to read that Inter are currently playing well (even their own fans do not think so) and in attacking style, especially on an Ajax fans forum.
Inter are well known (and have always been) for their counter attack philosophy.
They invented “catenaccio” just like Ajax invented “total football”.
Once they score, game is over. Doesn’t it ring a bell ?

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma mar 07, 2005 5:25 pm

My dear Philippe, it appears that whatever we say about how Inter are performing under Mancini you are not going to change your mind, so I for one will save my breath.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 07, 2005 5:27 pm

Philippe, he's a season ticket holder of Inter, you know... He's seen severl of their games this season and kind of knows what he's talking about.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 07, 2005 5:45 pm

as a matter of fact, an ex-colleague and friend of mine happens to be an Italian and an Inter fanatic (nobody is perfect), so he keeps me informed on a weekly basis; I will tell him that Inter now has worldwide support among Ajax fans; that will cheer him up, because he sounded rather depressed lately

Feest

Bericht door Feest » ma mar 07, 2005 6:05 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef: With forwards of the calibre of Adriano, Martins and Vieri plus the players .

You forgot Julio Cruz. :hypocrite:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma mar 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Please do not include me as a fan of Italian footy. Although I will be praying that AC Milan KO the moaning scum tomorrow .( so will most football fans in England)

How come our friend Over Pasenens Head goes to watch Inter? They may be playing more attacking footy this season but for the last 40 years have been famous for playing boring defensive style .

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma mar 07, 2005 6:47 pm

SPL schreef: How come our friend Over Pasenens Head goes to watch Inter? They may be playing more attacking footy this season but for the last 40 years have been famous for playing boring defensive style .
Very good question SPL.

I like everybody of my age grew up in the 60's and grew to hate the Italian style of football and in particular Inter. Not a Celtic fan by any means but they showed a way to beat this boring defensive football in the European Cup final in Lisbon and boy was I overjoyed.

Move forward about 14 years to 1979 and I was lucky to be able to travel Europe for my company and was taken to an Inter game (in the UEFA Cup)when I was in Milan. I was impressed with the stadium (it is my favourite), the atmosphere and believe it or not the football as it was a great game.
Since that time I have sparodically revisted the San Siro to watch Inter play and have on each occasion seen a really good game of football.
I live near Stansted and you can fly to Milan and back in a day for under £30 and the season card was only £70 - so I thought what the hell I have never seen a Milan derby and I wanted to see the ex-Ajax players (especially Chivu as he was a big favourite of mine) so I splashed out and purchased the season card. Every game I have seen this season has been very entertaining whereas at Ajax ..... well we all know the answer to that one. So if Ajax isn't playing at home then I take in some Inter games.
Long answer SPL to a very short question.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma mar 07, 2005 6:56 pm

Just in case anybody doubts my commitment to the red & white - I will be attending 13 Ajax eredivisie home games this season and even attended a preseason friendly in Holland. My blood is red & white.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma mar 07, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks for the answer 'OPH' You quoted £70 for a season ticket, Menno said his season ticket to Ajax ,last season, was 170 Euros which is
£ 110 approx. How incredibly cheap compared to england.

I believe my nearest big pro team Brighton charge about £500 for a season ticket and they play in an athletics stadium with only one covered stand and temporary open seats on the other side. I go and watch semi pro footy at Worthing for £7 a game.( ie they play in a league which is 6 levels below the Premiership) We really are ripped off over here.

Premiership is well over £ 1000 and I believe my friend will be paying over £1200 for a season ticket when Arsenal move to their new ground.

Gesloten