Ajax USA's 5th Annual Rendezvous in Amsterdam

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Feest

Bericht door Feest » wo mar 16, 2005 6:40 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
The weather is a very important thing On Match Day it doesn't matter, though...

K.
Ko, welcome to the post Ajax-AZ-ArenA-Era. Seems like weather could very well have a serious influence on Match Day. :D

sgordo

Bericht door sgordo » wo mar 16, 2005 8:21 pm

It's so frustrating that I can't make it to Amsterdam with Ajax USA this year, but at least I feel like I'm in Amsterdam right now, it's been raining and near freezing all day long and will be through the weekend as well, after a week of sunny, near 70 (20c) degrees! Seems like the weather here has swapped with Amsterdam. That's ok, I'm stuck working so at least you guys can enjoy the weather.

Have a great trip and go Ajax! in the new Danny Blind era.

Steve, NC

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 16, 2005 8:23 pm

Steef schreef:Ko, welcome to the post Ajax-AZ-ArenA-Era. Seems like weather could very well have a serious influence on Match Day. :D
Yeah... Perhaps a cancellation would be the best possible result, actually...

:eusa_pray:

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo mar 16, 2005 11:59 pm

So then why does your "Resultometer" tick up from 9% to 27% overnight? Sounds like you're brimming in the typical unjustified confidence the preceeds a big game... :cheer:

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do mar 17, 2005 12:41 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
Carcajou schreef:Kicks ass to be unemployed in moments like that.
Yeah, like having plenty of time to sit on the terraces of nice pubs, but no cash to buy a drink... ;)

Kidding! Kidding! You're right: it's awesome. I do have the cash to buy drinks, but absolutely no time to go out and sit down somewhere... I'm at my computer all f#cking day... Which is far worse, actually.

K.
HAHAHAHA, I'm in front of my computer all day long too !! Which makes things even worse. I have to come up with a plan, because I am not getting of Ajax, and it is slowly killing me :D

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 17, 2005 11:23 am

Forget about the whole 'spring is in the air' thing. The Ajax USA trip has more or less officially started today (I'll meet the large part of the group tonight), but it's grey and it's raining...

K.
Still alive...

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » vr mar 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Some of the 'locals' might want to meet up with our foreign guests on Saturday. Is there a way to find out what you guys are doing on Saturday? That is if you want to meet up with the locals ofcourse.
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » vr mar 18, 2005 1:50 pm

Raymon is a friendly local! :bis:

You're on www.ajax.nl , guys!

Afbeelding

To Daniel from Melbourne: Ajax is not playing the best football in the world anymore... :aai:

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » vr mar 18, 2005 2:03 pm

Well,

as usual the boys manage to impose on the training!

Good job!

In spite of rumours, I have not gone underground and left the Ajax world! And I do believe that Ajax actually will WIN against PSV, how about that??

Have a great week end guys!
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr mar 18, 2005 2:04 pm

joey schreef:Raymon is a friendly local! :bis:

You're on www.Ajax.nl , guys!

Afbeelding

To Daniel from Melbourne: Ajax is not playing the best football in the world anymore... :aai:
Well let's raise funds to buy Ajax a new photogapher.....

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » vr mar 18, 2005 3:47 pm

Carcajou schreef:

Afbeelding

Ha ha, amen to that, I can't see a face on that picture!

Bebs, aren't you there?

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 18, 2005 3:51 pm

Per schreef:
Carcajou schreef:

Ha ha, amen to that, I can't see a face on that picture!

Bebs, aren't you there?
My understanding is that he, along with Blind3 aka TattooQ (and aveslacker X'C), are not there this year. Could be wrong, though.

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » vr mar 18, 2005 3:53 pm

Along with yours truly, who bt the way even promised to be there this time....I have to start keeping my promises...

Will probably be able to vatsh the game on tv though....

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm

Per schreef:Along with yours truly, who bt the way even promised to be there this time....I have to start keeping my promises...

Will probably be able to vatsh the game on tv though....
Ugh. Lucky you. Apparently the Greeks don't care enough about Charisteas to show him on tv here.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr mar 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Hey All,

Great day at the ArenA today.. Probably the most enjoyable training session yet, other than the absence of our favorite, J. O'Brien. The team was in extremely high spirits and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I will post some better pictures tonight or tomorrow... BTW, the precise URL of the page with our group photo: http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=39574

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr mar 18, 2005 5:56 pm

aveslacker schreef: My understanding is that he, along with Blind3 aka TattooQ (and aveslacker X'C), are not there this year. Could be wrong, though.
That is correct. I'm living at the expenses of my family right now, the situation is pretty bad, as I've been involved in a hopeless project in the IT field with some friends. Hopefully I'm going to fill my pockets eventually and THEN I'll get a seat engraved with my name at the ArenA. So next year for me.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za mar 19, 2005 1:57 am

ajaxusa schreef:Hey All,

Great day at the ArenA today.. Probably the most enjoyable training session yet, other than the absence of our favorite, J. O'Brien. The team was in extremely high spirits and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I will post some better pictures tonight or tomorrow... BTW, the precise URL of the page with our group photo: http://www.Ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=39574
Nice pics Jim, love your new hairdo :headbang:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mar 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Just to wish all of you a great time in Holland and hope you enjoy a win tomorrow.

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » zo mar 20, 2005 3:36 pm

Man, I hope you guys will have enough fun during your stay to compensate for Ajax-Psv. :sad:

Marijn

Bericht door Marijn » zo mar 20, 2005 3:44 pm

Per schreef:What became of the likely lads? What became of the dreams we had?
Great song, ey?
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist."
-The Usual Suspects

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma mar 21, 2005 11:08 am

joey schreef: To Daniel from Melbourne: Ajax is not playing the best football in the world anymore... :aai:
hahaha...yep. what was i thinking when i said this one? Can i claim a mis-quote???

cc: Jim - the pics (most of) turned out well. will forward them on when i get the chance mate.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 22, 2005 8:38 am

Right. Jim and Ryan have just left my house and are now on their way to Schiphol Airport. Which means that the Ajax USA trip has reached its conclusion.

A few thoughts.

Sadly enough, the only thing we really can not control (the actual match) went horribly wrong in grotesque fashion. I am always hoping for a result for our group, who came from the other side of the planet to see Ajax, or at least a great goal, so that they can see the stadium erupt. Over the years we've seen a bad game (1-0 win) over NAC Breda, easy stuffings of De Graafschap and ADO Den Haag (4-0 both times, I believe), pretty exciting draws against Feyenoord and Valencia (1-1) and (easily the best one) the dramatic first-ever league win over PSV in the ArenA (last year, 2-1). In other words: our games have been alright over the years. This was the first time we were extremely out of luck.

But the rest of the trip? Nice as ever; even better in some cases.

For example: ArenA Day was better than ever. Last year training was kind of lame and Koeman was not really up for a group picture. John O'Brien gathered some players for us and, to make up for it, joined us for lunch. But this year: a very entertaining training session and the entire team was totally up for a 'team picture'. They took their time.

At night we were invited to Ajax's anniversary party at De Toekomst. It was, in a way, extremely lame. It was also, in another way, hilarious. But one thing's for sure: it was unique that Ajax invited our whole group for it. We never asked for that; they just did it. Five free drinks each included.

The History Tour: a nice day out, as usual.

And to finish it off: some of the Ajax USA'ers were still there for Young Ajax vs Young PSV, yesterday evening. A very nice atmopshere, Ajax legends such as Ruud Krol and Piet Keizer, plus current players such as Tomás Galásek and Filipe on the stands, nice football and a whopping 3-0 win on a beautiful evening. Perfect.

We had 21 ticket orders for Ajax vs PSV this year - and on match day we were joined by the 'Cockney Cloggies', who are either season ticket holders or made their own ticket arrangements. Prior to the game we were at the Grolsch Cine Café with at least 30 non-Dutch Ajax fanatics. Which was a blast. I am proud of you all. You are the reason why Ajax USA has been up and running for ten years - and also the reason why we can organize a succesful 'Rendezvous in Amsterdam' once every season.

Thank you all for joining us and keep the faith. Stay loyal to your club. In a few years' time we'll be better and you will feel like a diehard, because you've seen them in action (well, action...?) in the dark days.

See you all next time!

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mar 23, 2005 1:29 pm

Don't worry guys, it was still a great trip. When your "first" team is struggling along in the English Third Level you sort of get used to disappointment footy wise X'C .

At least we can honestly say that the only way is up :headbang: !!

Cheers for all the hard work anyway Jim, Menno and anyone else I've forgotton. Hope to see all again next year.

Like the phoenix from the flames we will rise again. Hup Ajax!!!
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » wo mar 23, 2005 1:34 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Sadly enough, the only thing we really can not control (the actual match) went horribly wrong in grotesque fashion.
You can, in a way. Next year, don't pick Ajax-PSV. :aai: ;)

Hope you all had a good time in Amsterdam, in spite of all.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo mar 23, 2005 1:55 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Don't worry guys, it was still a great trip. When your "first" team is struggling along in the English Third Level you sort of get used to disappointment footy wise X'C .
Hmmm....well SE6Ajacied, I know how you feel....my "other" team is struggling in the English 4TH DIVISION level (Notts County)

:eusa_doh:

Menno and Jim....thanks as always for your fantastic efforts in getting the group together... :bigups:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Gesloten