Why are we playing so bad?!

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr sep 23, 2005 7:44 am

old people will remember that "playing possum" was the title of one of Carly Simon's first albums. :band:
Laatst gewijzigd door Philippe op vr sep 23, 2005 12:46 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Appie, stay strong !

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr sep 23, 2005 12:42 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Steef schreef:Did you know that Neeskens is currently unemployed?
Are you recommending him as a player...?

My God, am I glad you're a scout for Feyenoord.

K.
Goed zo, Ko.

:xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:

It's been a while since I used my favorite emoticon, but I think you deserve it. :dancing:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » vr sep 23, 2005 1:09 pm

You really love that emoticon, don't you?

Why can't we have Neeskens do some special training with the back four, like van Basten did earlier with our forwards. Zlatan took some huge steps under his helm.

EDIT: Yes, I know he was a midfielder, but he could still do some individual training and bring some stones to the back four, right?
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr sep 23, 2005 2:12 pm

Per schreef:You really love that emoticon, don't you?
God help me, for some reason I can't get over the image of Spiderman, Voltron(?) and the others cavorting around a la the Backdoor, er Backstreet Boyz.
Per schreef: Why can't we have Neeskens do some special training with the back four, like van Basten did earlier with our forwards. Zlatan took some huge steps under his helm.

EDIT: Yes, I know he was a midfielder, but he could still do some individual training and bring some stones to the back four, right?
Sounds like a good idea, but IIRC, Neeskens was a pretty crappy coach at NEC.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

bryan

Bericht door bryan » vr sep 23, 2005 4:22 pm

We have to show belief in Blind and his players, otherwise Ajax stand to repeat the mistake they made in sacking Adriaanse.
I think you have good point here.

As long as Blind is barred from making transfer decisions, I think we should let him carry out his plan on the pitch. It's not like we have a lot to lose, huh...

Danny Blind still has to go a long way to convince me that he's not the Dutch Glenn Hoddle though.

cdnajaxfan

Re: Disappearing act!

Bericht door cdnajaxfan » vr sep 23, 2005 4:35 pm

Carcajou schreef:
cdnajaxfan schreef: Feyenoord are off to a good start but a team can't rely on just one person (DK) scoring all of their goals.
Geez man !! Haven't you heard of Salomon Kalou ?
Yes but he is not getting all of the attention that he should. BTW, I have noticed other Kalous around the soccer world. Any relations to him?

cdnajaxfan

Bericht door cdnajaxfan » vr sep 23, 2005 4:54 pm

dws schreef: Blind is the man to take Ajax back to the top table of European football. We have to show belief in Blind and his players, otherwise Ajax stand to repeat the mistake they made in sacking Adriaanse.
We have gotten rid of Co and van Gaal who gave this club the pride and respect that is deserves again. Yes, that was a mistake but at least they gave us positive results.

Deschamps just stepped down at Monaco after taking them to the CL final 2 years ago and after doing pretty well in League un under his tenure. I'd rather have him coach our team than Blind!

I have seen no real consistency under Blind since he took over. There have been lots of disappointments, lots of underachieving, and very few results worth celebrating. And the problem seems to just get worse and worse instead of better. Let's hope I eat my words over the next week!

Feest

Bericht door Feest » vr sep 23, 2005 5:18 pm

cdnajaxfan schreef:
Carcajou schreef:
cdnajaxfan schreef: Feyenoord are off to a good start but a team can't rely on just one person (DK) scoring all of their goals.
Geez man !! Haven't you heard of Salomon Kalou ?
Yes but he is not getting all of the attention that he should. BTW, I have noticed other Kalous around the soccer world. Any relations to him?

PSG's Bonaventure is Salomon's big brother. Bona started his Euro career at Feyenoord too btw.

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr sep 23, 2005 6:36 pm

Steef schreef:
cdnajaxfan schreef:
Carcajou schreef: Geez man !! Haven't you heard of Salomon Kalou ?

PSG's Bonaventure is Salomon's big brother. Bona started his Euro career at Feyenoord too btw.
Does Zlatan have a younger brother ??? :D
BRING IT ON !!!!...

dws

Bericht door dws » vr sep 23, 2005 7:24 pm

cdnajaxfan wrote
Deschamps just stepped down at Monaco after taking the to the Cl final 2 years ago and after doing pretty well in League under his tenure. I'd rather have him coach our team than Blind
Monaco are currently in twelfth position in France . They have lost 4 times in eight league matches.

Deshamps is unfamiliar with Ajax and how Ajax plays football. How would he be a better Ajax coach than Blind?

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr sep 23, 2005 7:25 pm

One point that I was going to mention before . Is Van Basten doing this club any favours by putting every young dutch kid in the full Orange side.

Babel, Maduro and now Emanuelson have all been put straight into the full national squad before they have really started their careers and this might make them think they have already made it!!!! At present De Jong and Heitinga are also in the squad but cannot get regular first team action.

It is just a thought I have had since young Maduro was selected after his 2nd game.

I am sure some of you will come back and tell me this is crap. !!

One point that I have made before we are still no nearer giving Pienaar and De Jong new contracts. If they have not agreed them by January I think we should sell them and get some money as we cannot afford to let them go on Bosman's.If we are still struggling by then I think we should look to sell Trabelsi for the same reason.He is going to leave at the end of the season so why not get some money in January.

Looking at the team and seeing all the goals we have conceeded our defence is the main problem and Blind needs to decide who are the best players and stick to them. Watching the AZ game they were very poor .

As to the attack I feel we are missing Mitea who is a proper left winger. Why Babel is played there is a mystery. He should be given the central strikers role .

One positive point this season. Thanks to Van Der Vaart being sold Sneijder is now blossoming and playing well and scoring.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr sep 23, 2005 7:27 pm

cdnajaxfan schreef:Deschamps just stepped down at Monaco after taking them to the CL final 2 years ago and after doing pretty well in League un under his tenure. I'd rather have him coach our team than Blind!

I have seen no real consistency under Blind since he took over. There have been lots of disappointments, lots of underachieving, and very few results worth celebrating. And the problem seems to just get worse and worse instead of better.
I wonder how you can seriously say that... If you had a lot of disappointments with Blind, your life must be sad since some years ... ;)
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

bryan

Bericht door bryan » za sep 24, 2005 2:27 pm

Deshamps is unfamiliar with Ajax and how Ajax plays football. How would he be a better Ajax coach than Blind?
This is always the standard line that people trot out when a foreigner is mentioned as a possible Ajax manager. Jack Reynolds didn't do too bad and Morten Olsen got us 88 points and 112 goals in the 97-98 season (but that didn't stop the De Boers and the press criticising him for being a defensive minded foreigner as soon as they got the chance). As far as I know AS Monaco's 2004 CL Cup run was based on attacking football with wingers too. They beat Deportivo 8-3, remember?

That said, I don't think Deschamps would be much of an improvement over Danny Blind. He's a quiet, cryptically vague, leather jacket wearing, former captain. Another Glenn Hoddle.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za sep 24, 2005 3:44 pm

Very good point, Bryan.

An extra advantage of foreign managers is the fact that they have no allegiance to either Cruyff or Van Gaal or anyone else in the infanous "old boys' network". Which is a very good thing.

Having said that: I am pro-Blind. He's doing good work and as far as I'm concerned he is absolutely no point of discussion.

K.
Still alive...

dws

Bericht door dws » za sep 24, 2005 4:06 pm

I do not think my previous post alludes to Deshamp being unsuitable to coach Ajax because he is foreign. I think he is not an option for Ajax because we have a coach who has a plan for making Ajax a great side again. Removing Blind and replacing him with whoever would only serve to set Ajax back when there are signs of them progressing.

dws

Bericht door dws » za sep 24, 2005 5:00 pm

oops... sorry Bryan , my post on Deschamp very much alludes to him being foreign ,ie unfamiliar = foreign. :blush: However , i stand by my reasons for wanting to keep Blind as coach , namely
we have a coach who has a plan for making Ajax a great side again. Removing Blind and replacing him with whoever would only serve to set Ajax back when there are signs of them progressing

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za sep 24, 2005 6:44 pm

I am confident Blind will get us back to the top of the league at least and put this club on the right lines but he must be given time.He must be given this season and half of next before we can judge him.

All clubs demand instant success and managers/coaches are only ever given a year. You have to give a manager 2 years minimum ,wherever he is.

Moan U gave Ferguson 5 years and he has done a great job, even I who hate him and his club cannot dispute his record. In this day and age he would have been sacked after 2 years max.

Give Danny a chance. He is putting his faith in Ajax youth and that has to be encouraged. After all Ajax are famous throughout the football world for their youth policy. ( As well as the small matter of 4 European Cups, which I never stop reminding my Arsenal loving son)

bryan

Bericht door bryan » za sep 24, 2005 8:41 pm

No problem dws, I may have read too much into it myself and gone off on a rant... :D
Give Danny a chance. He is putting his faith in Ajax youth and that has to be encouraged. After all Ajax are famous throughout the football world for their youth policy. ( As well as the small matter of 4 European Cups, which I never stop reminding my Arsenal loving son)
I have to agree, give Blind a chance to do his thing. I wouldn't have appointed him in the first place, but sacking him now that he's in the job would only make things worse. We'll see where we are at the end of the season.

pizza 5

Bericht door pizza 5 » za sep 24, 2005 9:00 pm

So......this is a new topic since I was last here.Why are we playing so badly?a few reasons in my view.

1-We have some very good young players,but they are consistantly played in the wrong positions.Babel is a striker not a winger,he is also right footed so he is not a left winger.Maduro is a centre half,play him there and leave the midfield to Pienaar,Wesley,Galasek etc.....

2-We MUST abandon 4-3-3 for 3-5-2.Wingers(who are not really wingers(see point 1)) and cannot get in enough crosses in to the box for one striker is not going to work.The lack of chances made is really a worry.

3-We must play with two strikers up front,Babel and Bubble.I think Charisteas will be allright in time but the poor sod gets Fuck all service.How can we only play with a single striker up front at home to Den Haag.I mean come on.....this is fuckin Den Haag not A.C.Milan or Barcelona,lets get a grip.

4-We have the wrong coach.I am not going to start having a go at Blind yet,but he was the wrong man from the start,we should have gone for the best coach in dutch football Super Guus.The best coach for the best team....simple really.As he has consistantly proved,he can get the best out of average players,which is exactly what we could do with at the moment.

5-Just when you think things cant possibly get any worse,you look over to the subs bench and you see Rosales getting ready to come on.It depresses me so fuck knows how it must make the players feel.

6-We should never have missed out on Davids,we badly need this type of player to kick some arses.Fuckin SQD with his alice band and suntanned legs,he needs to have a proper haircut and get stuck in.He would be better off back in the Moulin Rouge doing the can-can.And whos bright idea was it to sell De-Ridder?????Blind thinks,yeah I can sell him because I dont really need someone to beat full backs and get in crosses,I need a right footed striker on the left wing and an unbalanced dwarf who spends most of a match on his arse on the right wing............

time for my pills.
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

Sir Alex Ferguson

Bericht door Sir Alex Ferguson » zo sep 25, 2005 8:07 pm

Pizza 5. A little vague me thinks in your rationale. Can you please put a slightly longer post in next time so that we can understand the background to your thinking. Also one point of correction, Rosales is not tall enough to be classed as a full dwarf.

pizza 5

Bericht door pizza 5 » zo sep 25, 2005 8:57 pm

Background to my thinking???????............There is no background to my thinking,Im operations.
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo sep 25, 2005 11:37 pm

bryan schreef: That said, I don't think Deschamps would be much of an improvement over Danny Blind. He's a quiet, cryptically vague, leather jacket wearing, former captain. Another Glenn Hoddle.
You don't know much about him don't you ?
meh :|

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo sep 25, 2005 11:41 pm

pizza 5 schreef: 6-We should never have missed out on Davids,we badly need this type of player to kick some arses.Fuckin SQD with his alice band and suntanned legs,he needs to have a proper haircut and get stuck in.
You forgot about the eye-liner :)

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma sep 26, 2005 12:25 am

Carcajou schreef:
bryan schreef: That said, I don't think Deschamps would be much of an improvement over Danny Blind. He's a quiet, cryptically vague, leather jacket wearing, former captain. Another Glenn Hoddle.
Okay, perhaps quiet was an understatement.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma sep 26, 2005 12:44 am

bryan schreef:
Carcajou schreef:
Okay, perhaps quiet was an understatement.
No but seriously, I pretend to know what I'm talking about. Deschamps's been around for like 15 years in French football. He's nothing like your description.

The only thing that is true is that he wears suits on match days. But so do 95% of the coaches, so it's doesn't say much....

Gesloten