Ajax USA's 6th Annual Rendezvous in Amsterdam 2006

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Ajax USA's 6th Annual Rendezvous in Amsterdam 2006

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo dec 11, 2005 4:58 pm

Here it is, the official thread where we waffle about and ponder details about the annual trip. :cheer:

One thing's not in doubt; after 5 straight years, we KNOW the trip will happen... So, first topic: WHEN? (What games shall we see?)

Looking at the schedule, there seems two obvious possibilities:

05 Mar: Ajax - Sparta Rotterdam 14:30 AND
12 Mar: Ajax - PSV 12:30

OR

09 Apr: Ajax - AZ 14:30 AND
12 Apr: Ajax - Vitesse 20:00

I much prefer the latter, for several reasons:

#1. Only 3 days between games. This means a 5-day trip still gets us two games, versus an 8 day trip for the PSV game.
#2. Later in the season means better weather AND more likely drama from end-of-season standings (and UEFA places).
#3. We (almost) always play like shite against PSV at the ArenA. X'C

Only downside: Airfares will be a bit more in April than March. Also: Is there some chance of a Champions League game some other time?

Comments?

PS: Some links...
* Last year's trip
* This season's match schedule

Arthur

Re: Ajax USA's 6th Annual Redezvous in Amsterdam 2006

Bericht door Arthur » zo dec 11, 2005 5:54 pm

ajaxusa schreef:more likely drama from end-of-season standings (and UEFA places).
The way things are progressing at the moment there's a real chance that Ajax have nothing to play for in april. They'll never become champions and if the results keep improving as they do now Ajax will be 4th without competition. That means the games until the playoffs will have little significance and may even see some players benched to get some rest.

Maybe you should put off the trip till the playoffs? Guaranteed drama, matches close together and only opponents from the top of the table.

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo dec 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Hm, interesting. But... how far in advance will the schedule be set? We foreigners need to have several weeks - for some, months - advance knowledge to arrange flights, hotels, time away from work, etc. Without knowing the opponents, when will we know the dates for playoff games?

DrDuncan

Bericht door DrDuncan » zo dec 11, 2005 6:58 pm

Remember that the away leg of our next CL tie will be between the Sparta and PSV games - uefa.com says Wednesday 8th March.

(FWIW the home CL match is on Tuesday 21st February, a few days after the home Eredivisie game with RBC.)

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » zo dec 11, 2005 7:05 pm

Good question. I think the dates are set, although there will probably be a draw for which team is playing home first.

To be honest I think the whole playoff system is ridiculous, so I haven't paid much attention to the details yet. Any experts here?
It does seem ideal for foreign vistors who want to see a couple of spectacular games in a short time.

There's also the question of whether Ajax will even make it to the playoffs X'C , but hopefully that will be much clearer around february.

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » zo dec 11, 2005 10:49 pm

ajaxusa schreef:#3. We (almost) always play like shite against PSV at the ArenA. X'C
\

Yep. Don't do it. :eusa_pray:
Het stinkt aan alle kanten!

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » zo dec 11, 2005 11:35 pm

But if you get lucky like two years ago, the trip is all the more glorious.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma dec 12, 2005 4:42 am

Arthur schreef:But if you get lucky like two years ago, the trip is all the more glorious.
That was a killer trip! :xyxthumbs:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma dec 12, 2005 9:17 am

ajaxusa schreef: 09 Apr: Ajax - AZ 14:30 AND
12 Apr: Ajax - Vitesse 20:00
For what its worth, the above 2 games would be pretty darn good. AZ & Vitesse are pretty tough games. PSV always kick our butts and Sparta are pretty dull. Plus, more time to save the funds, warmer weather...what more could you want.

The idea of going around playoff is interesting. How close are we to the World Cup when the playoffs are on?

The later games are my thumbs up :xyxthumbs:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma dec 12, 2005 6:31 pm

Speaking selfishly for myself I can make the March date, but will have work commitments in April (the park open April 1st).

Just one vote, but there you go...
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » ma dec 12, 2005 8:50 pm

I should be able to make the week end game of the april choice. I think I'll have a hard time getting vacation approved my first year and all but I'll try and make one of the games either way.

ANyways, would be nice to meet some regulars.

/ Per
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » ma dec 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Now I'm living abroad am I eligible for this trip? ;)
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » ma dec 12, 2005 11:46 pm

of course, i will be there :eusa_dance:
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

Ajax95

Bericht door Ajax95 » di dec 13, 2005 1:46 pm

I would have rather been there last year than in cold, windy Oklahoma where I had to spend two and a half months. The year before was a great trip. Beating PSV in the ArenA was terrific. Looks like I may have training agian this year during both possible trip times. Hopefully, I make it to Amsterdam for the rendevous or to Germany in the summer.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » di dec 13, 2005 8:04 pm

As a big Ajax fan in the U.S., I have been a forum lurker for a number of years (yes, even for a long time at the previous forum home site). I've always read about these annual trips and been very jealous.

I'm writing now because if the April matches are picked this year for the trip, it just so happens that I might be able to make it. The week after the April matches, I'll be in England for the Man Utd-Sunderland and Sunderland-Newcastle matches, so since I'll already be in Europe, I might look into extended the trip a little early, and spending some time in Amsterdam with you all.

Hell, even if you don't choose April for the AjaxUSA trip, I might do the Amsterdam side trip anyway... and maybe still meet up with a couple of you locals (Ko?) for the matches?

(By the way, just the quick explanation for the Sunderland thing. They played our club on their summer tour, hit it off, had a blast, through the supporters that came on tour here we've created a relationship/exchange, the club and supporters invited us over due to the good time they had here, and there are now about 50 of us from here that are arranging to go there in April for the Man Utd and Newcastle matches.)

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di dec 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Am I right in guessing that you're from Portland?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » di dec 13, 2005 10:36 pm

aveslacker schreef:Am I right in guessing that you're from Portland?
Yes.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo dec 14, 2005 9:06 pm

I'm in regardless of date. Not even Pearl Jam in my living room keeps me away this year. I like the former, because of a Champion's League tie on or about 3/7 or 8. I'd gladly junket to whatever city or town Ajax end up playing in on the day.Heck, I may just have talked myself into two trips.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

roche
Contacteer:

Bericht door roche » do dec 15, 2005 2:36 am

Pearl Jam Cancels Living Room Performance

SEATTLE Veteran rock band Pearl Jam scrapped plans today to play select living rooms in Media, PA due to lack of interest. "We thought that since we are so popular in Philadelphia, it would be a no brainer to take it to the suburbs for something a bit different. I guess we were wrong," says frontman Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam has long been known for bringing innovative ideas to music ranging from official bootlegs of all their concerts to challenging the monopoly of Ticketmaster. Like the latter though, this idea seems to have hit a wall. "I guess some things are more important to the people of Media than even us," lament Vedder. What could some of those things be? "Ajax" says an unnamed Media resident. Who knew that a cleaning company was so hip? With their tails firmly between their legs, Pearl Jam now plans to head back to the studio to finish work on their new album.
"Just one more...then I'll quit...forever"

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » do dec 15, 2005 12:17 pm

Roche schreef:Pearl Jam Cancels Living Room Performance

SEATTLE Veteran rock band Pearl Jam scrapped plans today to play select living rooms in Media, PA due to lack of interest. "We thought that since we are so popular in Philadelphia, it would be a no brainer to take it to the suburbs for something a bit different. I guess we were wrong," says frontman Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam has long been known for bringing innovative ideas to music ranging from official bootlegs of all their concerts to challenging the monopoly of Ticketmaster. Like the latter though, this idea seems to have hit a wall. "I guess some things are more important to the people of Media than even us," lament Vedder. What could some of those things be? "Ajax" says an unnamed Media resident. Who knew that a cleaning company was so hip? With their tails firmly between their legs, Pearl Jam now plans to head back to the studio to finish work on their new album.

hehe good stuff, take a bow :bis:
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do dec 15, 2005 6:23 pm

I'll go for the April games please. It'd be good to see someone who we actually have a chance to beat plus coming over to W.I. has just about knackered all my leave from work for the near future :xyxthumbs:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr dec 16, 2005 7:27 pm

Take a bow is right. Good stuff Roche! A bevie of your choice on me. Put me down for April. I'll still make a February run , but the home tie v. Inter and home v. Sparta makes more budget sense.Hotel Hortis, here I come. :xyxthumbs:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

BPBlueSox
Contacteer:

Bericht door BPBlueSox » di dec 27, 2005 10:38 pm

I may be up for it this year. I'd go for the April games, as well.

Number9

Trip 2006

Bericht door Number9 » do dec 29, 2005 5:43 am

You guys are killing me!!

I thought for sure the PSV match would be a lock for the 2006 get together. Cmon... it's arch rivals PSV for crissake...

With the newfound fondness our lads have for finding the back of the net and the Hunter situation, we just may make a run at the light bulbers.

Anyway, I think my vote is obvious... I'd rather the March dates as I am already booked to be in Holland from March 2 to March 14.

As for the weather... There is no guarantee on good weather in The Netherlands no matter when you go. Been there during a beautiful January, March and April. One year I was there in August and it rained every damn day. Go Figure...

Cmon all you big A's out there... (as in ArenA)... band together and March on Amsterdam...

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » do dec 29, 2005 6:50 am

Raymon schreef:Now I'm living abroad am I eligible for this trip? ;)
Why? Does it say: Ajax ABROAD's 6th Annual Redezvous in Amsterdam 2006? :D

BTW, there's no way I can claim the time or the resources to come along. Count me out.

Gesloten