The One & Only Official Music Geeks' Thread

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

carcajou

Re: Noir Désir lyrics

Bericht door carcajou » do dec 29, 2005 12:21 am

Lassent is the third person plural of the verb lasser which means : feed someone up.

An example : Toutes ces défaites de l'Ajax me lassent : I'm fed up with all these Ajax defeats.

So "Les joints, le cul lassent" could be translated to :

"#Any slang for weed joints (blunts, bones, you name it)# and sex eventually feed you up.

i.e. "I'm done with sex and joints, I'm over it now".

I hope I made myself clear this time :)

Edit : Your version is better, because way less litteral. Good job.
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Okay, I've played with the words a bit more, in a pathetic attempt to make them rhyme and stuff and turn this thing into a English version...

How about this?
if nothing changes

I am writing still
when a creeping threat
from the back of the yard
gives me the chills

look, what is that?
on the tip of my thumb
if nothing will change
the skies will turn red

let me tell you a tale
a tale about this guy
he wanted to get laid
he wanted to get high

at the end of the day
they found him dead in his bed
everything fades
even lust goes away

I'll tell you again
now that the winter has died
and your braids have grown long
you better run and hide

two lovers, swept away
like dead leaves on the streets
and all the dead leaves
laugh because they can stay

fair chance that nothing will ever change

where will the shadow go?
behind the horizon she'll disappear
safe bet that no-one
will remember she was here

oh, my little flame
I press my lips on your eyelids
crawling out of my shell
I love you more than I ever did

This is fun, I must say... :yes:

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do dec 29, 2005 4:05 pm

Excellent !!!

So now we need to find some musicians and create a band. I'll provide some French lyrics, you'll translate and enhance them, we'll tweak the music a little bit, and the the $$$$ will be ours. :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:
meh :|

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » do dec 29, 2005 4:13 pm

And have Tiesto remix it and he'll double your bucks :cheer:
Get a Cock

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do dec 29, 2005 8:46 pm

Well I'd read so much about it that I went to the sales today and bought "Down In Albion" by Babyshambles. A bit weak on a couple of tracks but I have to say I'm not disappointed. Bought the new A-ha album as well (that's what I went in the shop for). Haven't played that one yet but hopefully will be as good as their others.

I suppose liking these two will put me in a minority of one on this forum though :D :blush:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

DanK

Half Decent Radio Stations

Bericht door DanK » di jan 10, 2006 12:32 am

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good alt/indie type stations in the following countries:
Holland
Sweden
Denmark

I found it almost impossible to find a decent radio station when I spent sometime in Sweden last year. It was the same in Holland (although, this may have had something to do with the people we were staying with!). I know that they are there, I just didn't manage to find them. The only one that came close was Eins Live (germany).

Anything that would play the following type of genres: alt.country, ambient, indie, non pop alternative etc. Basically these sort of artists Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Ryan Adams, Gorillaz, Bright Eyes, Nick Drake etc. Basically I am trying to avoid the dreaded Top 40 type artists where possible.

Even a station that would play artists I have never heard of, or even in another language would be much better than the top 40 crap we had to put up with.

I would like to be prepared for the next time i am over (hopefully later in the year). Any assistance would be much appreciated :headbang:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 10, 2006 8:08 am

DanK schreef:I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good alt/indie type stations in the following countries:
Holland
Sweden
Denmark

I found it almost impossible to find a decent radio station when I spent sometime in Sweden last year. It was the same in Holland.
Holland is a terrible place for music radio... In Belgium, for example, they have Studio Brussel, which is a fantastic station for alternative music. No station in Holland can be compared to that.

The only public radio station for pop/rock music (3FM) is subsidized by the state and officially has the task to play all sorts of music, but they totally behave like a commercial station and play 95% crap.

The two best indie stations in Holland can't even be listened to via cable. There's Kink FM, who don't have a cable radio slot but can only be listened to via the 'wave' (antenna) and online (http://www.kinkfm.nl/)

The by far best, though, is VPRO 3voor12. They are 100% web-based. They used to be the 'alternative voice' on Radio 3FM, but when that station became more and more commercial they decided to 'flee' and start an alternative 'guerrilla station' on the internet: http://www.3voor12.nl/

They were pioneers. They have grown and developed and are now (seriously) one of the best internet radio stations in the world, especially because they have an online (and free!) database of thousands of concerts and DJ sets. Every show they broadcast live remains available 'on demand' and you can listen to a number of live stations (no DJs talking), totally dedicated to the genre of your preference. They also have one for americana/alt-country.

http://www.3voor12.nl/ is (just like Ajax USA) free and free of advertising.

Another tip: Amsterdam's two most important venues for alternative music (Paradiso and the Melkweg) show many of their concerts live on the internet ( http://www.fabchannel.com/ ), for free and in absolutely superb DVD quality. A unique service. These concerts remain available 'on demand' for a number of months after the live broadcast.

K.
Laatst gewijzigd door Kowalczyk op di jan 10, 2006 9:35 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Still alive...

jakobg
Contacteer:

Re: Half Decent Radio Stations

Bericht door jakobg » di jan 10, 2006 8:55 am

DanK schreef:I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good alt/indie type stations in the following countries:
Holland
Sweden
Denmark
I would love to answer you about the Swedish part of your question, but I don't know shit about music. All I listen to is the "regular" stations with the popular music. Most of it is crap though.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di jan 10, 2006 7:02 pm

Idon't think there is such a thing.

Closest you come to good music radio is p3, but that has alot of speaking and humour progrtammes as well.

On swedish radio's website you can listen to music only wereadio, www.sr.se and thay offer some different types pof channels. none of them are really top noth though.

/ Per
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 10, 2006 7:06 pm

Per schreef:progrtammes ... only wereadio ... thay offer ... different types pof channels ... top noth
Question...

Are you pissed? :D

K.
Still alive...

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di jan 10, 2006 7:09 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Per schreef:progrtammes ... only wereadio ... thay offer ... different types pof channels ... top noth
Question...

K.
Strange keyboard :D

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo jan 11, 2006 12:10 pm

Per schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:
Question...

K.
Strange keyboard :D
LOL. Actually when I was using a keyboard in Denmark/Sweden I found the keyboards weird. The shift key was too small for a start and that doesnt even count the weird arse letters like:å, æ, ø, µ. I kept typing in lower case as it made it easier as I didn't have to use the shift key.

Anyway. Pretty much what I thought. Maybe I am just spoilt for alt. stations in Melbourne. Appreciate your help guys. :xyxthumbs:

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo jan 11, 2006 4:44 pm

DanK schreef:Anyway. Pretty much what I thought. Maybe I am just spoilt for alt. stations in Melbourne. Appreciate your help guys. :xyxthumbs:
3RRR had a whole segment on Scandinavian music in the mid-afternoon (was it today or yesterday?), not sure if it's a regular thing or just a presenter with a bee in their bonnet though...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do jan 12, 2006 10:01 am

Chugger schreef:
DanK schreef:Anyway. Pretty much what I thought. Maybe I am just spoilt for alt. stations in Melbourne. Appreciate your help guys. :xyxthumbs:
3RRR had a whole segment on Scandinavian music in the mid-afternoon (was it today or yesterday?), not sure if it's a regular thing or just a presenter with a bee in their bonnet though...
Hmmm. I had a look at triple r's sched, nothing about scandinavian music as such, just the program names.

Thats what I love about 3RRR (http://www.rrr.org.au/index.php). They play whatever they want. I have picked up so many bands that I would never have heard of because of this station. Totally indipendant too :xyxthumbs:

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jan 12, 2006 8:50 pm

DanK schreef:
Thats what I love about 3RRR (http://www.rrr.org.au/index.php). They play whatever they want. I have picked up so many bands that I would never have heard of because of this station. Totally indipendant too :xyxthumbs:
Cheers for that, I'm listening now, don't know what it is but fairly mellow. :yes:

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do jan 12, 2006 9:14 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
DanK schreef:
Cheers for that, I'm listening now, don't know what it is but fairly mellow. :yes:
Nice work :D

Actually, most of the DJ's are having a break for summer (and have temps or bit timers filling in) and most wont be back until next week or the week after. So you will probably find a slight improvement then.

For a laugh and some great music (some of it you will hate and others you will love), try to have a listen to The BreakFasters Morning show b/w 6am and 9AM (Aust East Time) - I think at the moment in the UK you would be 11 hours behind with daylight savings time on in Aust at the moment.

As this station is independant they do play some (read: a lot of rubbish), but there are so many gems hidden in here I rarely listen to any other station.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do jan 12, 2006 9:19 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Cheers for that, I'm listening now, don't know what it is but fairly mellow. :yes:
One of my favourite webradio stations is AccuRadio.com, by the way.

Very good looking site and a very simple system: they have many different stations for different genres. My favourite ones are High Fidelity, BritRock, A Flock Of Eighties and sometimes Hiptronica.

http://www.accuradio.com/

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jan 12, 2006 9:39 pm

DanK schreef:
try to have a listen to The BreakFasters Morning show
Yeah, that's on now I think, I'm amusing myself listening to the newsreader mangling the names of Danish generals and Thai fishermen at the moment...he seems a bit mad actually as he's talking to himself..."and in local news, well it's not that local actually it's from NSW"; "and in todays weather...he says banging the microphone". Mad Station :xyxthumbs:

When I get bored with this, I'll give Ko's two a try-out though I tend to prefer "real" stations to web stations, good to catch the "local" news and ads too.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jan 16, 2006 3:08 pm

Okay, enough Ajax misery now... let's talk about something more fun.

I received the full Arctic Monkeys album last week and it's not been out of my player since. Holy living crap, are they the dog's bloody bollocks or what. It will be released on the 23rd here in Holland (not sure about the international dates).

Young lads, no nonsense, energy. swagger and a shopping bag full of great songs. The band of 2006 are about to reach record stores near you.

Man, I will never forget the moment I heard I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor for the first time. Adrenaline rushing through my body, a smile around my face and an instant urge to go down the pub, get pissed, chat up some tarty bird and shag the granny out of her.

And then I woke up, ladies and gentlemen, and I was a boring, thirty-something fart again, headed for his first midlife crisis. Anyway: this band can Make People Seriously Happy and that's something special.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za feb 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Ko, I bought that CD, 'Solopeople' that you recomended - good choice, I like it, I'm listening to it now - I can't really hear any 'Smiths' influence though I must admit, maybe in the lyrics but not in the sound.

Good album anyway :xyxthumbs:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za feb 25, 2006 5:42 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Ko, I bought that CD, 'Solopeople' that you recomended - good choice, I like it, I'm listening to it now - I can't really hear any 'Smiths' influence though I must admit, maybe in the lyrics but not in the sound.
Oh no, it doesn't sound like The Smiths at all. It's a very low-key 'Sunday morning' singer/songwriter album. But the lyrics to one of the songs (can't remember which one) are taken from various Smiths songs.

Solo are alright (I like the Solopeople album, too), but my favourite bands on the Excelsior Recordings label are (were...) Daryll-Ann, Caesar and Johan. Weeps by Daryll-Ann, No Rest For The Alonely by Caesar and Pergola by Johan, in particular. Those bands are more 'indie' than Solo.

Check out the label's website:
http://www.excelsior-recordings.com/

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo feb 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Check out the label's website:
http://www.excelsior-recordings.com/

K.
OK, yeah and I see that Solo are live on Talpa tonight, 10.00pm UK time. I think I will watch that :xyxthumbs:

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr mar 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Saw a great blues duo last night called Rag Mama Rag - if you like the blues then check them out if they are in your area.

http://www.ragmamarag.co.uk/

What made it really fun for us old timers was that the guitarist (he must have more than 2 hands to play as he does) was accompanied by his misssus on washboard and spoons - the washboard really took me back to when skiffle music was around and also to when we as kids used to try and play the spoons (and failed)

Great evening made even better by the duo so obviuosly loving what they were doing.

Now you youngsters can back to discussing what you lot call music :D
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 03, 2006 2:59 pm

I love the blues and will always take it seriously when someone discusses it.

Afbeelding
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » za mar 04, 2006 11:51 am

The Knife!

Awesome stuff.

We swedes rule!

Karin Dreyers voice makes me wanny crawl out of my own skin sometimes. I love the song she did with Röyksopp also (can't remember the name now).

Otherwise it's all oldies right now. Staple Singers have really stolen my heart.

Plaats reactie