Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

SQD interview

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do jul 14, 2005 6:44 pm

Nice Escudé interview on Ajax.nl! Here's a translation:
Julien Escudé has faith in his team

Danny Blind appointed Julien Escudé as captain of Ajax-1 earlier this week. The Frenchman feels he is a not a 'born leader'. "But I think I can do it," said the captain, who only wished to speak Dutch during the interview.

Unlike many of his team-mates Escudé had a long period of rest after a rather eventful season. The defender had five weeks off, in order to charge his batteries for the upcoming season. "That's a long time, but I enjoyed it. It's not something that happens very frequently," the relaxed Frenchman says. He spent the first three weeks of his vacation in a house in Cannes. "Wonderful. We shared an appartment with friends. The weather was great, there was sun, see and a beach. During those weeks I did nothing to stay fit, there was too much distraction, haha. The last two weeks we went to a familyhouse on the Atlantic coast. It was nice and quiet over there and I did some training according to the schedule that was given to everyone."

Escudé did not only work on his fitness, but also on his Dutch. "I brought a little book along that I wanted to read and I spoke some Dutch with people who were visiting France for their vacation. A Dutchman started talking to me on the beach and we had a chat. Also, I saw a car with a Dutch license plate parked in front of a little shop. I went inside and had a talk with those people."

Especially now that he's been chose to be Ajax's captain, he finds it important to speak the language well. He knows that he was made captain because of his professional attitude. "I am not a born leader or something and I'm not a Dutchman either, but I can be captain," says Escudé. One of his tasks is to talk to the younger players in the squad. "That is not really necessary at the moment, but I think it will be as the season develops. It also depends on the results, of course. When things go well the job of a captain is not that hard. I talk to them on the pitch, of course, but the training sessions are currently focused on fitness. For young players it is very important that they have confidence. I am not the type that will talk everywhere and always, but I do talk on the pitch. I try to show that I respect the other players and the staff. I want good communication. The most important thing now is to make progress. Together. As a team. The squad is almost exactly the same as last year, which is nice. It makes it easier to work towards a solid team in a short time, because we already know each other."

Escudé believes in his team for the upcoming season. "We have three newcomers and they're all good. Olaf Lindenbergh has a lot of experience. He knows the Dutch league very well and I think he's got the right attitude. Markus Rosenberg will have to get used to his new team. He's from another country and everything is new for him. It's logical that he needs a bit of time. Finally, Edgar Manucharyan. We already knew him a bit. He's a good, young player."

"Mauro Rosales is recovering from his operation and he's doing well. Finally, a few people will return from the vacations later on: Hedwiges Maduro and Ryan Babel, for example. We have a good side for the upcoming season. We didn't play well in our friendlies so far, but that really isn't that important. I understand that the people always demand good football from Ajax, but we have to build up our fitness first. This training camp [in De Lutte, ed.] is very good for that."

The Dutch championship and qualification for the Champions League are missions that Ajax can accomplish, Escudé thinks. "With this team we should be able to make it to the second round of the Champions League. Also, I hope we'll start well in the league. Last season we didn't. We were seven point behind the league leaders before we knew it. This time we have to be at the top from the very start. If we start well, this could become a very nice season."
K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Re: SQD interview

Bericht door carcajou » ma sep 12, 2005 3:22 pm

Julien still has a slight back injury and he will not see action against Praha. Seems that Juanfran is not match-fit either.
meh :|

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr okt 21, 2005 12:39 am

What happens with Escudé ??? He started this season as captain and now he is not even on the bench. I don't really care of that, but still, it's really strange....

There were lot of news about him on Ajax Netwerk this week, but all I understand is that he had a meeting with Blind on monday... :nooo:
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr okt 21, 2005 5:52 am

Here's a quick update on the Escudé situation...

It is quite clear now that he has lost his spot. He is fit (after a back injury and the flu) but did not get his spot back. He was even on the stands a couple of times (not in the squad of 18).

According to a few newspapers in Holland Danny Blind blamed him quite heavily for the defeat against Feyenoord. He had a poor one against Feyenoord indeed (particularly when Kuyt scored the second goal), but he surely wasn't the only one. Which is what he told Blind. Reportedly he stood up for himself and got into a bit of a row with Blind.

Anyway, then he lost his spot and in recent days there were some press reports in which his agent was quoted saying things to the following effect: "This is a bit strange: he was the team captain and now he's not even in the squad. What happened? If this situation doesn't change Julien might want to leave at season's end, but for now he wants to fight for his spot, have a talk with Blind and ask for playing time in Young Ajax, so that he will be match fit when he's needed."

That talk with Blind has now taken place. Blind explained him that he prefers defenders with more aggression and more of a forward drive. Escudé asked for playing time in Young Ajax and it seems likely that he'll get it.

There were some reports in the press that Ajax are 'open for talks' if any club is interested, but both Blind and Escudé have denied that on TV. Blind does not want to let him go and Escudé said that he does not want to leave during the season. Johan Derksen (chief-editor of Voetbal International and one of the hosts of football talkshow Voetbal Insite on RTL5) added that there is no interest for him at the moment.

Some of these media reports contradict each other, but my personal prediction is that Escudé will leave at season's end. After this season he has only one more season left on his contract and I don't think he or Ajax will be interested in renewing it. But he will finish the season, for sure, and get plenty of playing time.

All in all, I don't think he deserved this situation. He was flawless throughout last season. Seriously one of our best. He had a crap game against Feyenoord and looked very bad indeed when Kuyt made it 1-2, but Blind has come down on him like a ton of bricks after that... and I don't think he deserves that.

A bit of a shame, this.

K.
Still alive...

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » vr okt 21, 2005 6:49 am

I don't know Ko. Julien is a very talented player. He seems to understand the game well and he's played some very strong matches in the past. What I think he lacks is the ability to lead the defense. And that is what we've been missing; leadership and organisation at the back. If he can somehow add that to his game I hope he'll stay many more years.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr okt 21, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks Ko :xyxthumbs:

I also think he will leave at season's end. In fact, it's what I think since he signed at Ajax, '3 years and he will be sold to a "bigger" club', but if it continues like that, I'm not sure it will be a bigger club. ;)

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma jan 16, 2006 12:56 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:Thanks Ko :xyxthumbs:

I also think he will leave at season's end. In fact, it's what I think since he signed at Ajax, '3 years and he will be sold to a "bigger" club', but if it continues like that, I'm not sure it will be a bigger club. ;)
Rumors are running that he'll leave for FC Sevilla pretty soon.

To Blind : Nice job asshole. Good luck with Heitinga.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » ma jan 16, 2006 1:17 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: 2. The Escudé affair. This dude was one of Ajax's best last season and - very important - the only Ajacied who is enough of a pro to seriously work on his shortcomings. His sprinting improved and he worked in the gym to get physically stronger. He started scoring, his passing improved, he was selected for France and he became Ajax's captain. Good for him and he really deserved it. He started the season as the captain of Ajax-1, but was then dropped after one (1) poor game (against Feyenoord). I genuinely don't understand that, especially given the fact that Blind - for some mysterious reason that is absolutely beyond me - seems to rate John Heitinga, who was once again a big f*cking nightmare defensively and as a passer.
Is Escude injured or not ?
I've read several times that he suffered from his back... And Ajax.nl don't seem to speak of him in their training reports, and I can't see him in any recent picture... Is he still alive ? :shock:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jan 16, 2006 1:23 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:Is Escude injured or not? I've read several times that he suffered from his back... And Ajax.nl don't seem to speak of him in their training reports, and I can't see him in any recent picture... Is he still alive ? :shock:
Yeah, he's injured at the moment, so he couldn't have played anyway. But the few times that he's been fit in recent weeks he was not even on the bench, so it's very clear that he's completely out of the picture.

If Blind goes, there's a chance he will stay, I think. He's happy here in Amsterdam (he's doing all his interviews in Dutch now, by the way!) and last season his Ajax career was everything he expected it to be: starting slot, a few goals, the captain's armband and an invitation for France. Ajax were crap last year, but for Escudé and Grygera it was a good year.

And now this... He must be extremely unhappy with Danny Blind. But what if Blind disappears...?

K.
Still alive...

LouisXIV & co

Bericht door LouisXIV & co » ma jan 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:He must be extremely unhappy with Danny Blind.
Who isn't... :sad:
Zé of zeehond, rookies huren voor een jaar is ongezond!

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma jan 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Cedric_AeF schreef:Is Escude injured or not? I've read several times that he suffered from his back... And Ajax.nl don't seem to speak of him in their training reports, and I can't see him in any recent picture... Is he still alive ? :shock:
Yeah, he's injured at the moment, so he couldn't have played anyway. But the few times that he's been fit in recent weeks he was not even on the bench, so it's very clear that he's completely out of the picture.

If Blind goes, there's a chance he will stay, I think. He's happy here in Amsterdam (he's doing all his interviews in Dutch now, by the way!) and last season his Ajax career was everything he expected it to be: starting slot, a few goals, the captain's armband and an invitation for France. Ajax were crap last year, but for Escudé and Grygera it was a good year.

And now this... He must be extremely unhappy with Danny Blind. But what if Blind disappears...?

K.
Blind won't disappear, he's here to stay. People are going ballistic now because of the results, but if we manage to defeat Inter Milan, he'll be praised as the Saviour. And I guess Julien wants to play. What if a lot of injuries happen in France's central defence ? He was one of the many names for the WC a few months ago, so maybe somewhere in his head he still believes he could make it.

And by the way : is he really injured ? The management of his case is something I don't really get anyway.... One bad game (or should I say one bad defending against Kuyt) and that was the end of his Amsterdam career. It's still really strange to me. The whole club management is strange to me anyway (rating De Mul over De Ridder, playing Boukhari, buying tens of strikers and not the side backs we'll desperately need next season, relying on South American / Spanish players that never fit in Northern countries and so on).

What a waste it is. It's been a while since I've seen a game so my comments might not be accurate. In February/March/April, I'll see more action than a Red Light District prostitute, so I'll be more aware of what's happening there.
Laatst gewijzigd door carcajou op ma jan 16, 2006 1:58 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma jan 16, 2006 1:57 pm

Well, staying with Ajax with the only hope that Blind leaves does not make sense.
And if Blind definitely decided not to play him, right or wrong, why don't we sell him and hire another player ?
This is a waste of time for Escudé and of money for Ajax.
Appie, stay strong !

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » ma jan 16, 2006 2:59 pm

carcajou schreef: K.
And by the way : is he really injured ? The management of his case is something I don't really get anyway.... One bad game (or should I say one bad defending against Kuyt) and that wasind won't disappear, he's here to stay. People are going ballistic now because of the results, but if we manage to defeat Inter Milan, he'll be praised as the Saviour.

What a waste it is. It's been a while since I've seen a game so my comments might not be accurate. In February/March/April, I'll see more action than a Red Light District prostitute, so I'll be more aware of what's happening there.[/quote]

I honestly dont think anybody in their right mind can see Ajax defeating Inter Milan. Been to a couple of Inter games this season and if they play to their full potential this game could well be over in the Arena - hope not but could be quite embarassing. So all you will have to look forward in Milan is getting drunk mate :D

Re the seeing more action than a Red Light prostitute, there is more chance of Ajax beating Inter. Honestly, going to watch Ajax at home just now is more like a chore than pleasure. Good on you for making the effort to come upto Amsterdam from Paris - more dedication than a lot of Ajax fans. Did anybody think that the stadium yesterday looked emptier than for a long long time.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma jan 16, 2006 3:13 pm

jamcocteau schreef:Honestly, going to watch Ajax at home just now is more like a chore than pleasure. Good on you for making the effort to come upto Amsterdam from Paris - more dedication than a lot of Ajax fans.
Or in my special case, just the chance to have some money to spend and a fast speed train to get my ass to Dam in a fews hours. I don't like comparing dedication, as the comparison is biased from the very beginning.

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » ma jan 16, 2006 3:51 pm

carcajou schreef:
jamcocteau schreef:Honestly, going to watch Ajax at home just now is more like a chore than pleasure. Good on you for making the effort to come upto Amsterdam from Paris - more dedication than a lot of Ajax fans.
Or in my special case, just the chance to have some money to spend and a fast speed train to get my ass to Dam in a fews hours. I don't like comparing dedication, as the comparison is biased from the very beginning.
Sorry I was actually making the comparison to Ajax fans resident in Amsterdam and not to anybody on this board. I think too many Ajax fans in Amsterdam and the surrounding area are what can be called fair weather fans - will only turn out when the club is doing well, but this is also typical of many fans of the larger clubs throughout Europe anyway
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jan 16, 2006 4:06 pm

jamcocteau schreef:And by the way : is he really injured ?
In today's training report it says that Escudé trained apart from the group for the last time. His rehab is completed and he is ready to return to the group now. The report ends with a remarkable paragraph: "No surprise that the only smile on the training pitch (a very 'sunny' smile) came from Julien Escudé. After one hour of running the French defender left the pitch reasonably satisfied. After weeks of injury worries the Frenchman feels fit again. Who knows new, heroic performances in the Ajax jersey lie ahead for the French Ajacied."

Hmmm. That's remarkable.

Indeed, I have a feeling that we will see Escudé on the pitch some time soon. Vermaelen sustained an injury yesterday, Heitinga is crap, Trabelsi is in Africa... I think he will get a chance...

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma jan 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
jamcocteau schreef:And by the way : is he really injured ?
In today's training report it says that Escudé trained apart from the group for the last time. His rehab is completed and he is ready to return to the group now. The report ends with a remarkable paragraph: "No surprise that the only smile on the training pitch (a very 'sunny' smile) came from Julien Escudé. After one hour of running the French defender left the pitch reasonably satisfied. After weeks of injury worries the Frenchman feels fit again. Who knows new, heroic performances in the Ajax jersey lie ahead for the French Ajacied."

Hmmm. That's remarkable.

Indeed, I have a feeling that we will see Escudé on the pitch some time soon. Vermaelen sustained an injury yesterday, Heitinga is crap, Trabelsi is in Africa... I think he will get a chance...

K.
That could be awesome if he could come back and prove everybody wrong. But I still think he's made his mind. A lot of media reports in France still talks about him like a potential Sevilla or Auxerre player.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » ma jan 16, 2006 5:27 pm

AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma jan 16, 2006 7:15 pm

bluedaddy19 schreef:here's the story
Well that's really sad - no doubt he'll go on to star, and at the world cup too. I honestly don't balme Escude though but would love to know what goes through Blind's head................
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

john_stein

Bericht door john_stein » ma jan 16, 2006 7:36 pm

I just can't understand why Escude has been kept apart from the team. He must have had a personal "fight" with Blind. In the beggining of the season Blind announced that Escude was his captain and he spoke really well about him. Then came that feyenoord game where Escude played really bad and since that day we didnt see him again. Remember last year when we all thought that Grygera-Escude was finally a good pair in the central defense ? Imagine how it could have been this season with those two knowing themselves a lot more and having more experience. But noo instead we have been playing around with Grygera-Maduro, Grygera-Vermaelen and in the last game we saw Grygera playing in the left...

I hope Escude does well in Sevilla, he deserves it. I hope Vermaelen turns out to be twice as good as Escude and most of all I wish Blind could finally realize that he's been in Ajax for almost a year now and its time to realize that he just cant let go his best players for personal differences (remember what happened with Galasek also) and its time to stop making weird changes in the lineup. Put the players in their right positions and put the players that really should be on the starting lineup. Simple as that.

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » ma jan 16, 2006 7:53 pm

What is it with Ajax coaches playing the players in wrong positions anyway? I mean, they (Koeman and Blind) can't be plain stupid. They must know where their players are used to play. Is it just that there are no better solutions? Or do they just think that they can 'change' a player in such a short while?

If any of us would be manager, I'm sure we wouldn't keep playing the players out of position. Or keep fielding the same players who obviously haven't got what it takes. And I'm sure Blind and Koeman would have said the same thing if they were regular forum writers like us.

Something is totally wrong with Ajax. We need to fix this a.s.a.p. We can't just keep saying that this season is just to prepare for the next one.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

ferry

Bericht door ferry » ma jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Just read on the VI website:
Julien Escudé verruilt Ajax voor Sevilla

16/1/2006 20:53

Exclusief - Julien Escudé is in onderhandeling met Sevilla. De Fransman die bij Ajax op het tweede spoor is beland, kan bij de Spanjaarden een contract voor drieëneenhalf seizoen tekenen.
Hoewel vorig seizoen nog aanvoerder, komt Escudé dit seizoen niet meer voor in de plannen van trainer Danny Blind. De Fransman kampte daarnaast lange tijd met een rugblessure. Hij speelde in hett lopende seizoen pas twee wedstrijden voor de Amsterdammers.

De linksbenige verdediger kwam in de zomer van 2003 over van Stade Rennes. In zijn eerste twee seizoenen was de Fransman basisspeler. Escudé speelde 61 wedstrijden voor Ajax (6 goals).
My free translation:

Exclusive: Julien Escudé is negotiating with Sevilla. The Frenchman, who became second choice in the Ajax squad, can sign a contract for 3.5 seasons with the Spanish.

Although being the captain last season this season Escudé does not appear in Danny Blind's plans. Besides to that Escudé suffered from a back injury for a long time. He only played two games for the Amsterdammers.

The Frenchman arrived at Ajax in the summer of 2003 from Stade Rennes. He was playing in the starting line-up in his first two seasons. Escudé played 61 games for Ajax (6 goals).

(apologies for any wrongly formulated translations)

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 17, 2006 7:12 am

Yeah, it's unconfirmed so far, but the rumours are that Escudé will join Sevilla today. We'll see what happens...

K.
Still alive...

LouisXIV & co

Bericht door LouisXIV & co » di jan 17, 2006 7:15 am

Bastard!

(I don't mean Escudé)

Another transfer we will regret... How many more to go mister Blindfolded?
Zé of zeehond, rookies huren voor een jaar is ongezond!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 17, 2006 10:45 am

LouisXIV & co schreef:Another transfer we will regret...
Yeah, I'm afraid I agree with you there.

Anyway: according to the latest reports (also in the Spanish press) ajax and Sevilla are talking about a loan deal until season's end, with an option for Sevilla to land him permanently in the summer.

I really hate to see Julien go.

K.
Still alive...

Gesloten