Ajax Coaches

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jan 17, 2006 12:45 am

We wont get Jol. He is actually doing a reasonable job at Spurs, they are currently 4th. He is building a youngish team with lots of english players with of course the Pitbull to quide them and also Mido is starting to score goals .

I don't see many Spurs games as of course my son supports their big enermy in North London ie the French speaking lot at Highbury.

Jol will i am sure stay at Spurs for a while and could get them challenging for second place in future( Chelsea are in a league of their own at the moment)

Ajax will have to look elsewhere for a new coach.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di jan 17, 2006 5:10 pm

Morten Olsen.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di jan 17, 2006 5:42 pm

bryan schreef:Morten Olsen.
Johan Cruyff ;)
meh :|

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di jan 17, 2006 5:45 pm

carcajou schreef:
Johan Cruyff ;)
We need him more than he needs us. In Sunday's edition of Kick Off there was a photograph of the guy and boy did he look one healthy dude. I wouldn't imagine that he would want to change that.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jan 17, 2006 5:52 pm

carcajou schreef:
Johan Cruyff ;)
If we can wait till after the WC, how about Van Basten. I know he's another rookie but he seems to be doing OK for for Holland (when is his KNVB contract up?).

If/When he goes I'd like to see Blind retained in some role or other. He knows the players and system and frankly I think (and thought silently at the time) that he was promoted far too soon - that is now becoming obvious. I'm sure he remains a good "trainer", just not first team coach material and certainly doesn't seem good at tactics.

(Blinds tactics at the moment = :oops )

Just wanted an excuse to use that Emotion!
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jan 17, 2006 6:52 pm

I would go along with Blind being retained as a coach of the reserves etc as he has done a good job in bringing through some juniors and although I do not think he should be in charge of our 1st team he is Ajax through and through and clearly wants this club to be full of dutch players. The current junior squads
of which he was in charge of only 12 months ago are almost entirely dutch and our reserve team is nearly all local.

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » di jan 17, 2006 7:35 pm

If we need a new coach again, it should be an experienced man. Someone who has had good runs at previous clubs, and someone who doesn't need to prove anything.

If we get such a guy, we need to keep him for 5-10 years. Not switch again after 1-2 years, even if the results don't go our way. We need continuity! That is the single most important factor for success in the long run. Apart from rich russian billionairs, of course.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Yeah. Jakob is right. An experienced man for a longer time. That's what we need. Henk ten Cate, Martin Jol and Morten Olsen would fit into that picture. Michael Laudrup much less so. He's got about as much experience at Brøndby as Blind has at Ajax.

K.
Still alive...

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di jan 17, 2006 10:32 pm

I cant believe I am reading this.....Morten Olsen?!!! The reason why Ajax are in such a mess started off with him and the de boers saga, they wanted to leave because of his dodgy tactics and Danish influence e.g. Laudrup Bros, Tobiasen and Gronkjaer, he wanted to build a foreign legion. I remember he screwed us up in the champions league when we lost at home to Croatia Zagreb, thumped away to Porto and finishing last in our group table. If there is anyone that is able to get us out of this mess its none other then Louis Van Gaal, ok he is not exactly my first choice but a better one then that fat dane!!!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di jan 17, 2006 10:37 pm

A new chairman. What about luring Cootje back here?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm

Okay, let's discuss Danny Blind (and his possible successors) in this thread, folks, not in the Board/Management thread...

To me it's plain simple: 15 points out of the next 5 (easy) games. If not, Blind must be sacked, although I would not be surprised if he resigns himself.

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma feb 06, 2006 3:09 pm

From Sporting life:-

Blind warned before the match he would only quit if he felt the players weren't motivated but recognised the board might make his decision for him.

So the question is - why hasn't he quit today?

Simple question - all answers on a postcard to.........................
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma feb 06, 2006 6:26 pm

Ayman schreef:I cant believe I am reading this.....Morten Olsen?!!! The reason why Ajax are in such a mess started off with him and the de boers saga, they wanted to leave because of his dodgy tactics and Danish influence e.g. Laudrup Bros, Tobiasen and Gronkjaer, he wanted to build a foreign legion. I remember he screwed us up in the champions league when we lost at home to Croatia Zagreb, thumped away to Porto and finishing last in our group table. If there is anyone that is able to get us out of this mess its none other then Louis Van Gaal, ok he is not exactly my first choice but a better one then that fat dane!!!
The De Boers wanted to leave because they wanted to go to Barcelona. Of course, they wanted to up and leave just as the season began (giving the club no chance to properly look for replacements), and then threw a tantrum when the club said it was unreasonable. They screwed Olsen over and they screwed Ajax over. Olsen was a fine Ajax coach (the pre-De Boer tantrum results speak for themselves) and I don't know what this Danish conspiracy you're on about is. Michael Laudrup is possibly the greatest ever player to don an Ajax no. 11 shirt, Tobiasen was unlucky and Gronkjaer made a nice profit for the club. As for Brian Laudrup, he signed the season after Olsen left, so there goes your Danish conspiracy theory.

My candidates, in order of preference:

1. Paul Le Guen
2. Morten Olsen
3. Henk ten Cate
4. Ruud Krol

...and Wim Jansen, if he could be bothered anymore.

I wouldn't want Martin Jol. He has been spending a lot of money at Spurs and is signing way too many midfielders. His starting XI changes every week, a bit like Danny Blind.

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » ma feb 06, 2006 8:20 pm

I think the issue of Olsen or anyone wanting to start a foreign legion is just silly and has been adressed enough. In my opinion it's rubbish. But Morten Olsen will not be the answer to Ajax's current coaching issues.

Morten Olsen signed an extension to his contract in November last year. This was despite the fact that we did not qualify for the WC with him. He extended his contract to 2010 despite having several club offers on the table (e.g. Shalke 04). Included in his new contract are executive powers to direct the talent development strategy of all the U-teams in Denmark. That means he also gets to direct the day-to-day running of the talent development that he reportedly missed from the club world. He has in other words a 4½ contract made on his terms with the best of both national and club coaching. I think we can forget about Morten Olsen coming to Ajax in the next couple of years.

Michael Laudrup would certainly be interesting. I think everyone that saw Ajax play Brøndby last year can see that he likes to play the same style of possesion-based, technically good attack football that is often thought of as the "Ajax-style". He is however not a "strong man". Not yet at least. He has assistant coach John Jensen (ex-Arsenal) for that. And Ajax needs that right now in my opinion. He enjoys immense popularity and respect in Brøndby. But that's Brøndby. A big fish in a small pond. I don't think the interests surrounding Ajax (Board, media, press, fans) would give him the time he needs to develop into a power-coach. I'd love to see him as coach of Ajax one day. He is a true gentleman of the sport and a great credit to the game. But let him develop (or bust) in another club first and, instead, bring in someone that can help Ajax RIGHT NOW. :xyxthumbs:
Laatst gewijzigd door afckeeper95 op di feb 07, 2006 4:19 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » ma feb 06, 2006 10:05 pm

From staff and board thread:
dws schreef:
Per schreef:I've said it before and I'll say it agin:

No recycling coaches! (that means no Co Adrianse).
Why?
I'll continue this here instead.

I think that Ajax the last years have had an incredibly inconsistent way of thinking when it comes to who's good enough on the pitch. We have a turnaround of loanees, youth, and A-teamers that probably is unmatched.

There is no consistency either in our starting eleven. All of this causes a stir, IMO. We don't have any clear lines of what to do or who to keep. A player stagnates a year between 18 and 19 and he's off. A player plays a bad game or two and he's off. Where's the long term thinking? Where's the master plan? If you really believe in a group of players you should stick with them. I am also one of those that belive in a fairly consistent starting 11.

I think this also should be transferred to coaches. Van Gaal out, van Gaal in, van Gaal out. I know that there might not be more examples on the coach side but the logic is still there. I think that the board would show incredible inconsistency bringing someone back that left no more than four seasons ago (wan't it, or was it five?).

Loooong answer. Do I make any sense?
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » ma feb 06, 2006 11:27 pm

bryan schreef:
My candidates, in order of preference:

1. Paul Le Guen
2. Morten Olsen
3. Henk ten Cate
4. Ruud Krol
Bryan

your number 1 choice in Paul Le Gen would definitely be top of my list at the moment too. Guy proved himself at Lyon and has the right credentials for the job.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di feb 07, 2006 12:05 am

jamcocteau schreef:
bryan schreef: My candidates, in order of preference:

1. Paul Le Guen
2. Morten Olsen
3. Henk ten Cate
4. Ruud Krol
Bryan

your number 1 choice in Paul Le Gen would definitely be top of my list at the moment too. Guy proved himself at Lyon and has the right credentials for the job.
He doesn't know shit about Ajax though, and Dutch will be tough on him. Plus his English is far from great. That'll be difficult. But he sure is a great coach.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di feb 07, 2006 12:48 am

It's a bonus that he doesn't know shit about Ajax, this way we trick him into taking on the job before he realises the mess he has gotten himself into. :D His Lyon teams always played great football, wouldn't mind seeing some of that.

I take your point about the language barrier though, I assumed his English would be decent enough. He did say that he would be interested in the Rangers job though, so we know he's willing to come to a big club in a smaller league.

Over in the Dutch section of this site they are mentioning Foppe de Haan, I guess he would be pretty good too.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di feb 07, 2006 1:23 am

bryan schreef:It's a bonus that he doesn't know shit about Ajax, this way we trick him into taking on the job before he realises the mess he has gotten himself into. :D His Lyon teams always played great football, wouldn't mind seeing some of that.

I take your point about the language barrier though, I assumed his English would be decent enough. He did say that he would be interested in the Rangers job though, so we know he's willing to come to a big club in a smaller league.

Over in the Dutch section of this site they are mentioning Foppe de Haan, I guess he would be pretty good too.
It's time to bring God back (I mean Johan Cruyff).

dws

Bericht door dws » di feb 07, 2006 1:36 am

Per schreef:From staff and board thread:
dws schreef:
Per schreef:I've said it before and I'll say it agin:

No recycling coaches! (that means no Co Adrianse).
Why?
I'll continue this here instead.

I think that Ajax the last years have had an incredibly inconsistent way of thinking when it comes to who's good enough on the pitch. We have a turnaround of loanees, youth, and A-teamers that probably is unmatched.

There is no consistency either in our starting eleven. All of this causes a stir, IMO. We don't have any clear lines of what to do or who to keep. A player stagnates a year between 18 and 19 and he's off. A player plays a bad game or two and he's off. Where's the long term thinking? Where's the master plan? If you really believe in a group of players you should stick with them. I am also one of those that belive in a fairly consistent starting 11.

I think this also should be transferred to coaches. Van Gaal out, van Gaal in, van Gaal out. I know that there might not be more examples on the coach side but the logic is still there. I think that the board would show incredible inconsistency bringing someone back that left no more than four seasons ago (wan't it, or was it five?).

Loooong answer. Do I make any sense?
Per, I'm afraid that the Van Gaal example you utilise in your argument makes little sense. Van Gaal left Ajax for Barcelona as Head Coach, but the next time he left he was the Technical Director. The two jobs, as you well know, are entirely different.

I don't see that arguements about consistency of action should interfere with making the best decision for Ajax. The Ajax Board would be crazy to disregard someone such as Co Adriaanse, if he were available to coach Ajax, on the basis that they might look inconsistent.

Per , you say you want someone who has a master plan . Someone who selects a consistent starting eleven. But, you rule out just such a person with your line of arguement. That person being Co Adriaanse.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di feb 07, 2006 10:22 am

Per schreef:...

...Do I make any sense?
Absolutely! Changing the starting 11 each game is not a smart thing to do. It really can unsettle the side.

Its also not a great idea to get rid of youngsters before they have had a chance (I mean a real chance!).

I dont see why Babel for example wasn't allowed to flourish like Kluivert did. Babel came onto the scene, scoring and showing some real potential. Just as Kluivert did, yet Kluivert was allowed to be THE centre forward. Ajax didn't bring in 5 other forwards when a good one was already staring them in the face, then use him as a sub, then remove him from the line-up all together and then face the possibility of being loaned.

Its little wonder our talent leaves ASAP these days. Why should they stay at such an unsettled club?

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di feb 07, 2006 12:05 pm

Kluivert got his chance by accident. He had to compete for the striker position with Ronald de Boer (first choice), van Vossen, and Kanu. If PSV wouldn't have beaten us in signing Ronaldo Kluivert would have been one of 5 strikers, just like Babel.

In his first year Kluivert usually started from the bench or was substituted at halftime. Ronald de Boer was our striker in the CL final against Milan until Kluivert entered the pitch with only 20 minutes to go. His only full 90 minutes of CL action was in the away game against AEK.

He became striker #1 after a full year of being third in the pecking order. By then he was 20 years old. Babel just turned 19 a month ago.

Babel will have to wait. He's not ready for it yet, and we don't have Litmanen and Finidi and Overmars to help him out in his rookie year like we had back in 94/95.
DanK schreef:Kluivert was allowed to be THE centre forward
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » di feb 07, 2006 2:08 pm

Hey guys, Blind > Souness. We aint too bad :D

I'd like to see Laudrup be coach
Get a Cock

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di feb 07, 2006 9:42 pm

dws.

I have difficulties seeing Co Adriannse as the only guy around who can coach along some set lines and have a clear idea of how to play.

I think we've got a few toher choices without a history at the club.

You're right about van Gaal. I'm wrong.

Then again, if you ask van Gaal about his second spell, see if he thinks having a history at the club did him any good?

I think we need someone without luggage and with fresh eyes on how to run this ship.

We probably can't take this any longer, but at least we both know where we stand :xyxthumbs:
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

dws

Bericht door dws » di feb 07, 2006 10:45 pm

You're right about van Gaal. I'm wrong
Per, I'm always right :D :eusa_liar:

Plaats reactie