Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do jan 12, 2006 8:29 pm

... and does so to allow the legislation to cover VOIP and internet telephony.

Here's an opinion from legal blogger Orrin Kerr which throws a little cold water on the "you're going to get arrested for annoying phone calls and emails" line.
Orrin Kerr schreef:Seems pretty broad, doesn't it? Well, there's a hook. It turns out that the statute can only be used when prohibiting the speech would not violate the First Amendment. If speech is protected by the First Amendment, the statute is unconstitutional as applied and the indictment must be dismissed. An example of this is United States v. Popa, 187 F.3d 672 (D.C. Cir. 1999). In Popa, the defendant called the U.S. Attorney for D.C on the telephone several times, and each time would hurl insults at the U.S. Attorney without identifying himself. He was charged under 47 U.S.C. 223(a)(1)(C), and raised a First Amendment defense. Writing for a unanimous panel, Judge Ginsburg reversed the conviction: punishing the speech violated the Supreme Court's First Amendment test in United States v. O'Brien, 391 U.S. 367 (1968), he reasoned, such that the statute was unconstitutional as applied to those facts.

Under cases like Popa, 47 U.S.C. 223(a)(1)(C) is broad on its face but narrow in practice. That is, the text looks really broad, but prosecutors know that they can't bring a prosecution unless doing so would comply with the Supreme Court's First Amendment cases.

That brings us to the new law. The new law simply expands the old law so that it applies to the Internet as well as the telephone network. It does this by taking the old definition of "telecommunications device" from 47 U.S.C. 223(h), which used to be telephone-specific, and expanding it in this context to include "any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet."
In any event, I always wanted to use those asian p2p networks but I could never get them to work. At least they won't come after me for that.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do jan 12, 2006 8:54 pm

aveslacker schreef: In any event, I always wanted to use those asian p2p networks but I could never get them to work. At least they won't come after me for that.
Piracy is baaad m'kay ??

How is Lars Ulrich going to keep the third swimming pool of his fifteenth house warm if you use those P2P networks ?
meh :|

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jan 12, 2006 9:53 pm

Don't know if anyone outside the UK has seen Luton Town manager Mike Newell's comments about agents and bung payments in football. It's creating a big storm here and he has been invited to meet the FA.

It's all here anyway, with video interviews. A bit predictable but still rather sad and we're only talking 2nd/3rd division here :nooo:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4606434.stm
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Ajax95

Bericht door Ajax95 » vr jan 13, 2006 1:47 am

I'm heading off to the Bahamas next week and was curious about soccer there. I know they are a part of CONCACAF so I went to concacaf.com and followed the link to the Bahamas FA. There was almost no information on a local league and possible games there. Considering their British heritage there has to be some type of organised footie, right? The official bahamas tourist page had nada as well. Anyone ever been or have info on games? Thanks.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jan 13, 2006 2:23 pm

I went there about 12 years ago, but that was more for sailing, drinking and (unsuccessfully) chasing women. So I wouldn't know too much about the soccer. But I did wear my Oranje replica kit a few times, and no one said anything, so clearly they are not connoiseurs of the beautiful game (also probably explains why I had such bad luck with the ladies -- orange just isn't my color). X'C
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr jan 13, 2006 3:42 pm

Ajax95 schreef:I'm heading off to the Bahamas next week and was curious about soccer there. I know they are a part of CONCACAF so I went to concacaf.com and followed the link to the Bahamas FA. There was almost no information on a local league and possible games there. Considering their British heritage there has to be some type of organised footie, right? The official bahamas tourist page had nada as well. Anyone ever been or have info on games? Thanks.
The Bahamas is beutifull bro i would not waste my time on football, the beaches, the chicks, the party's all that stuff should keep you pretty busy, anyways i believe there is no profesional league on the island you might find some amateur league here and there but i would not expect much. Happy trip and enjoy :xyxthumbs:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jan 17, 2006 1:03 am

And Eredivise again has two Englishman. David Jones has signed for NEC Nijmegen from ManUre for the rest of the season. I just watched the "highlights" of the NEC game and couldn't work out who their sub 'Jones' was so I had to check.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 17, 2006 1:35 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:And Eredivise again has two Englishman. David Jones has signed for NEC Nijmegen from ManUre for the rest of the season. I just watched the "highlights" of the NEC game and couldn't work out who their sub 'Jones' was so I had to check.
Ummm... I posted this to the Other Eredivisie Teams thread a few days ago... :hypocrite: ;)
Kowalczyk schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:Well bye bye to Eredivisie's only Englishman. Sean Docherty of ADO just signed for Port Vale (seems he had some sense after all)
Isn't Michael Ball of PSV an Englishman?

I know he never plays, but I thought he was English.
Michael Ball was the only Englishman to play in the Eredivisie for only a couple of days... Today, NEC announced that they have landed David Jones on loan for one year. Jones comes from Man Utd and is a U-21 international for England.

He also has the same name as David Bowie, but that's irrelevant, I guess... :D
K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jan 17, 2006 7:51 am

Oh Yeah, Just Testing :blush: :withstupid:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jan 20, 2006 5:34 pm

I saw Walk The Line yesterday, the Johnny Cash biopic and I thought it was really, really good. Quite raw. Not as 'sweet' as you'd expect from a Hollywoord biopic about a legendary musician.

I actually fell in love with Reese Witherspoon (as June Carter). I can't believe myself. I always thought she was a very un-interesting girl next door, but in this film... wow. Very pretty. Very good, too.

And in some of the scenes Joaquin Phoenix resembles Johnny Cash so much it frightens you. Amazing.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I saw Walk The Line yesterday, the Johnny Cash biopic and I thought it was really, really good. Quite raw. Not as 'sweet' as you'd expect from a Hollywoord biopic about a legendary musician.

I actually fell in love with Reese Witherspoon (as June Carter). I can't believe myself. I always thought she was a very un-interesting girl next door, but in this film... wow. Very pretty. Very good, too.

And in some of the scenes Joaquin Phoenix resembles Johnny Cash so much it frightens you. Amazing.

K.
Yeah, looking forward to seeing this as well. They both do the singing in the movie, which imo pretty impressive.

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » vr jan 20, 2006 11:18 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I saw Walk The Line yesterday, the Johnny Cash biopic and I thought it was really, really good. Quite raw. Not as 'sweet' as you'd expect from a Hollywoord biopic about a legendary musician.

K.
I¨m seeing it tomorrow, I already had high expectations, now theyre on top!

Well see.....
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za jan 21, 2006 3:15 am

June... I mean, Reese... Hold me. Or something.

:inlove:

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za jan 21, 2006 4:22 am

Kowalczyk schreef:June... I mean, Reese... Hold me. Or something.

:inlove:

K.
It's like 3 in the morning buddy, you should be sleeping :D :xyxthumbs:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za jan 21, 2006 11:17 am

I think I was a little bit pissed when I wrote that... :blush: :D

Which was Jamcocteau's fault, by the way.

K.
Still alive...

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » do jan 26, 2006 11:13 am

Greetings from the Aid&Trade exhibition in Geneva! I'm here with my father's company selling blackboards.

I spoke to some Amsterdammers yesterday evening at a coctail reception. They we're both Ajax fans so we ended up discussing Ajax all evening, even though I was surposed to be walking around talking to customers. Ah well, Ajax is much more interesting than the international aid market. :yes:
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » do jan 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I think I was a little bit pissed when I wrote that... :blush: :D

Which was Jamcocteau's fault, by the way.

K.
Ko, Just seen this - you were typing this at 3, shit I thought we left the bar much later than that - never got home until about 5.30am - those missing hours :D
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr jan 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Nobody on the draw of the Euro 2008 qualifiers ?

Where should it be discussed by the way. I have to admit I'm completely lost, since the number of threads has gone through
the roof recently...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » za jan 28, 2006 1:40 am

carcajou schreef:Nobody on the draw of the Euro 2008 qualifiers ?

Where should it be discussed by the way. I have to admit I'm completely lost, since the number of threads has gone through
the roof recently...
Yeah, some great games coming up. France - Italy, Sweden - Denmark, Netherlands - Luxembourg. ;)

Some seriously great games to look forward to after the WC.

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » za jan 28, 2006 8:33 pm

I guess we are to busy talking about transfers and such to even think about Euro 2008. By the way i do think the dutch finally grabbed an easy group.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo jan 29, 2006 1:55 am

Venezuelan Ajacied schreef:By the way i do think the dutch finally grabbed an easy group.
Yep...problem is they will probably f*ck it up now its considered "easy". We shall see.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 01, 2006 8:28 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Okay, folks. Allow me to ask you for a favour... :D

As you may or may not know I published my début novel this year. It's called Vak 127 and it's about Ajax, being a supporter, friendship and growing up. My book is on the longlist for the annual Nico Scheepmaker Trophy, a prize for the best Dutch sports book of the year. There will be two votes: a 'professional' vote (by a jury of sports journalists) and a 'popular' vote on the internet.
Just wanted to let you know that... I WON IT!!! :eusa_dance: :bis: :cheer: :party:

I was completely and utterly taken by surprise. I was invited for the party at the start of the whole thing (when the voting started) and I never heard anything since. I wasn't informed that I won or something, so I did not expect it at all. When my name came out of the envelope I was flabbergasted.

Anyway: I received the trophy and flowers and stuff, and was interviewed on stage by the master of ceremonies. No idea where it came from, but my first reaction was: "So, one Ajacied will win a trophy this year after all..."

Anyway: thank you all very much for voting. This is great.

K.
Still alive...

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » wo feb 01, 2006 8:51 am

Nice to get some appreciation after, what I assume, was hard work! Congratulations! :xyxthumbs:
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo feb 01, 2006 8:58 am

Well done Ko, that's great news, suppose that means Champagne not beer next time we're over is the order of the day :bis:

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » wo feb 01, 2006 9:20 am

carcajou schreef:Nobody on the draw of the Euro 2008 qualifiers ?

the roof recently...
Finally! ;) I presume anybody NOT in group A is pleased. Oranje is in one of the easist groups, whereas I can understand any Irishman feeling slighty pessimistic about going to Switzerland.

Plaats reactie