World Cup 2006

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Feest

Bericht door Feest » do jun 08, 2006 12:17 pm

I also believe England can do it. For the first time in recent history, they won't be faced with a crushing blow during the head-to-head stages, but with an amazing moral boost in the return of Rooney to the pitch.

This years surprise package: Ukraine.

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » do jun 08, 2006 12:24 pm

What about Italy?
Het stinkt aan alle kanten!

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » do jun 08, 2006 1:14 pm

I believe Italy has a strong chance if theyre fit but that's not the case atm..

Team that will surprise will be Sweden imo
Get a Cock

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » do jun 08, 2006 1:24 pm

I think England are very overrated. Their midfield is excellent, but they have a mediocre coach and I don't think Rooney will be fit enough to make the front line good enough to be a contender.

My guess is a Brazil-Italy final.

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » do jun 08, 2006 2:08 pm

ZoefdeHaas schreef: Team that will surprise will be Sweden imo
If that's gonna happend, Sweden needs an excellent keeper in good form. Isaksson was injured yesterday and is out with a concussion. He will miss the opening game against T&T (which shouldn't be a problem anyway) but might be our for the Paraguay game.

Hopefully he'll recover. I would like to see Sweden make it to the quarter finals at least.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » do jun 08, 2006 4:19 pm

To my previous poist I can add that former Arsenal keeper Rami Shaaban is expected to replace Isaksson in the first game. Any of you remember him? He came from nowhere straight into the Champoins League with Arsenal a few years ago, before he was injured and never returned. Since that he's been looking for clubs all over Europe before ending up in Norway. I really have no idea how solid he is these days.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » do jun 08, 2006 4:47 pm

jakobg schreef:To my previous poist I can add that former Arsenal keeper Rami Shaaban is expected to replace Isaksson in the first game.
Funny, Danish media has John Alvbåge replacing Isaksson. Of course, not being in the world cup, we cling on to everyone remotely connected to Denmark who have a shot at playing the WC. Christ, up until May our hopes we're with a ref being selected. But alas, he got booted and has to stay at home with the rest of us. X'C

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » do jun 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Italy-Holland is my final, yeah people say i`m mad but im looking forward too a european final. Brazil will be the bigest surprise going out in the round off 16, Czech Republic or Italy will be their killer. I think Tunisia will be the only African team to reach the second round, Togo might steal a win from Korea but will not do much else, Ivory Coast would have made it trough in any other group, tough luck for them. Group B is very very dangerous, Paraguay could surprise either Sweden ( who has been in a slump recently) and England(with out their wonderboy till the second round...if they make it.). Germany should take third place for the fans :yes: . Those are my predictions, for what their worth :D .
BRING IT ON !!!!...

manila

Bericht door manila » do jun 08, 2006 7:44 pm

There will be surprises in this tournament. England are overrated. They have a mediocre coach, their forward line is weak and they're just a bunch of good playes (not stars) with weak team work. Argentina are overrated again and Brazil are good but I have a feeling they will not win it.

The real forces are going to be Germany and Holland. Germany because they always are and because they are playing at home. Holland because we have the right players on form, the right coach, the right team spirit and we're almost playing home as well.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do jun 08, 2006 9:56 pm

manila schreef:There will be surprises in this tournament. England are overrated. They have a mediocre coach, their forward line is weak and they're just a bunch of good playes (not stars) with weak team work.

The real forces are going to be Germany and Holland.
Not that I believe that England are going to win it, but to say that they are just a bunch of good players is amazing. Every other team would love to have world class players such as Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Owen and even the 2 Coles. England with the players they have at their disposal should go far but under the current manager has consistently underperformed.

Cannot see either Germany nor Holland lasting the full distance, but watch out for France - well worth a bet.

However, I have bet on Brazil and just cannot see any reason to change my mind.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » do jun 08, 2006 10:11 pm

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'm going to say Italy doesn't even advance from their group. Czechs and USA to advance.

Feest

Bericht door Feest » do jun 08, 2006 10:30 pm

I think this US squad is simply poor. Arena has done a great job over the last decade, but it's time for a new face and fresh player pool.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do jun 08, 2006 11:44 pm

I hope Paraguay and Sweden qualify. As for Group C..Holland will win 1-0 over serbia...Ivory Coast will do a cameroon against argentina. The teams in orange will go through :yes:

dws

Bericht door dws » vr jun 09, 2006 1:10 am

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
England with the players they have at their disposal should go far but under the current manager has consistently underperformed.

Cannot see either Germany nor Holland lasting the full distance, but watch out for France - well worth a bet.

The current England manager has a good record: three qualifications out of three and a QF appearance at each of the tournaments at which he has managed England. I think that qualifies him as second only to Alf Ramsey in terms of success.

Things could be worse for England ........... they could have an English manager. :D Just remembered ... they will have after the World Cup. X'D

Have to agree that Brazil are fav's to win the tournament, but France are in no way a better bet than either Oranje or Germany.

ps: I know Bobby Robson managed England to a world Cup semi in 1990, but it should be recalled that during his tenure England failed to qualify for the European Champ's in '84 and lost all three group matches at the Euro's in '88.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr jun 09, 2006 2:54 am

I don't see the US going through.As much as I'll be wishing it so in front of the telly. The US record in matches played vs European nations in Europe has been miserable . Okay, we beat Poland and tied Scotland in recent matches.Going back a bit, we also got crushed by Germany, lost to Italy, lost to the Netherlands,WC 98,etc....

European clubs always seem to have a comfort level on home soil.WC 82, 90, and 98 for example. I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil got pipped in it's quest for 6. Either Italy or , using my heart, The Netherlands.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » vr jun 09, 2006 3:36 am

I hope a European team wins the lot. France perhaps, or England or Italy. Can't stand the Argentinians and like most people I want Brazil to lose.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr jun 09, 2006 8:19 am

dws schreef:
England with the players they have at their disposal should go far but under the current manager has consistently underperformed.

The current England manager has a good record: three qualifications out of three and a QF appearance at each of the tournaments at which he has managed England. I think that qualifies him as second only to Alf Ramsey in terms of success.
If you are making comparisons to records of old England managers results then your conclusions are valid. However, when you look at the players that Sven has had and compare them with the players at the disposal of all other managers since the 1970 world cup then you will surely agree that Sven has been very lucky. He came on board just as a number of excellent players appeared on the scene. That is why I believe that England have underachieved under the management of Sven.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jun 09, 2006 8:29 am

manila schreef:England are overrated. They have a mediocre coach
Okay, I'll give you that one.
their forward line is weak
Rooney and Owen... weak?
they're just a bunch of good playes (not stars)
Not stars? You must be taking the piss...
with weak team work.
Yups. That's true. That's why I'm saying: in the past England always had the ambition, the self-esteem and the big mouths, but in many cases their team was just mediocre. Always a few good players, but always a few absolutely shit ones, too.

For the first time in years I think that England (on paper) have the quality to make it to the final. Question is: will they be able to get their shit together this time? If they can, and if they can play like a team, I think they might reach very far.
The real forces are going to be Germany and Holland. Germany because they always are and because they are playing at home. Holland because we have the right players on form, the right coach, the right team spirit and we're almost playing home as well.
I can't see it. Holland are probably the 6th or 7th team when it comes to quality (on paper), but that might mean 2 out of the best 6 still have to go out in the quarter finals. Besides: there is a very serious risk that Holland will not get through the group. I, for one, am seriously afraid that we'll lose to Serbia. If that happens we'd be f*cked, as the Ivory Coast and Argentina games are not going to bring us more than 3 or 4 points.

K.
Still alive...

dws

Bericht door dws » vr jun 09, 2006 9:47 am

dws schreef:

If you are making comparisons to records of old England managers results then your conclusions are valid. However, when you look at the players that Sven has had and compare them with the players at the disposal of all other managers since the 1970 world cup then you will surely agree that Sven has been very lucky. He came on board just as a number of excellent players appeared on the scene. That is why I believe that England have underachieved under the management of Sven.
Eriksson took over at a time when England's 2002 World Cup qualifying campaign was threatening to fall apart.

Yes, he has a number of top players at his disposal .... as do Brazil, Portugal, Czech Republic etc.

Losing to Brazil and Portugal is not a sign of underachievement.

Now, if they lose to Paraguay ......... :D

He's not the best , I'll give you that. :yes: However , you may think better of him once the new guy has had time to make an arse of things. :xyxthumbs:

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr jun 09, 2006 9:56 am

dws schreef:Losing to Brazil and Portugal is not a sign of underachievement.

Now, if they lose to Paraguay ......... :D

He's not the best , I'll give you that. :yes: However , you may think better of him once the new guy has had time to make an arse of things. :xyxthumbs:
Losing to a 10 man Brazil in 2002 with piss poor tactics and then losing to Portugal with again piss poor tactics in 2004 looks to me as though we have underachieved. With the players we can put out on the pitch we should have mullered these 2. Also it was his wonderful tactics that had us showing ourselves up against such strong football nations as Northern Ireland and Wales in the qualifyers.
Our results should have been much better than they have been.

As to your comment about the next England manager, I agree with you 100% - what a crap appointment.

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » vr jun 09, 2006 10:22 am

If a mediocre team like Ecuador can beat Brazil and Argentina, any team can.
Get a Cock

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jun 09, 2006 2:34 pm

A quick update from the Dutch training camp in Freiburg...

All of the injuries (Van der Vaart, Sneijder, Cocu, Jaliens) are looking quite good. A few days ago Marco van Basten called up Nigel de Jong and Stijn Schaars, just in case any of the four injured midfielders needed to be replaced. Today, De Jong and Schaars were sent home. Their presence is no longer necessary, as Marco van Basten expects the entire Oranje squad to be fit for Sunday.

De Jong cancelled his vacation to the Bahamas for it. He can re-book it now.

K.
Still alive...

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr jun 09, 2006 2:52 pm

ZoefdeHaas schreef:If a mediocre team like Ecuador can beat Brazil and Argentina, any team can.
Ecuador have an absolute fortress at home, The Atahualpa Stadium in Quito is one of if not the most hard stadium to play in. Thats where thay have beaten both Argentina and Brazil, Ecuador won 8 out of their 9 matches at home, thats why they qualified. Then again they lost 3-1 to the likes of Venezuela when they faced "the Vinotinto" on foreign soil.

I went to that game :yes:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » vr jun 09, 2006 3:03 pm

is anyone going to watch the England game on Saturday somewhere in a pub in Amsterdam?
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

Feest

Bericht door Feest » vr jun 09, 2006 3:16 pm

Venezuelan Ajacied schreef:
ZoefdeHaas schreef:If a mediocre team like Ecuador can beat Brazil and Argentina, any team can.
Ecuador have an absolute fortress at home, The Atahualpa Stadium in Quito is one of if not the most hard stadium to play in. Thats where thay have beaten both Argentina and Brazil, Ecuador won 8 out of their 9 matches at home, thats why they qualified. Then again they lost 3-1 to the likes of Venezuela when they faced "the Vinotinto" on foreign soil.

I went to that game :yes:

It's not a fortress. It's simply the altitude that kills opponents. Also the reason LDU Quito always does well in the Libertadores and Sudamericana.

Gesloten