News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

dws

Bericht door dws » do jun 22, 2006 7:32 pm

I'm with the Frenchies on this one :D

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » do jun 22, 2006 7:54 pm

dws schreef:I'm with the Frenchies on this one :D
Me, too. I'm not a hugely patriotic guy though. I cheer for a particular team because of, umm, well, the actual team and its players, and not the flag on their kit. I do cheer for the U.S., and I'd definitely like to see the U.S. do well, simply because it makes people here happy and creates excitement, but when it comes right down to it, the U.S. is an average team that doesn't really play an entertaining style of soccer. If the U.S. played Holland, deep down I would probably be pulling for Holland simply because I enjoy watching their team more.

And as for the U.S. exit today...

They just flat-out were not good enough. Horrible against the Czechs, good and gutsy against Italy, okay but ultimately lacking against Ghana. Overall, they were average, I guess, but the bottom line is they didn't play well enough in the three games to deserve going to the next round.

The big question now is whether Arena will still be coach after finishing last in the group after getting only one goal and one point.

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do jun 22, 2006 7:59 pm

AjaxPDX schreef:And as for the U.S. exit today...

They just flat-out were not good enough. Horrible against the Czechs, good and gutsy against Italy, okay but ultimately lacking against Ghana. Overall, they were average, I guess, but the bottom line is they didn't play well enough in the three games to deserve going to the next round.

The big question now is whether Arena will still be coach after finishing last in the group after getting only one goal and one point.
Agreed, and all the grousing about referees... ech. USA just didn't have enough venom.

Can someone enlighten me... what's up with O'Brien? I thought his ball-holding and distribution skills, especially his ability to create scoring opportunities for others, was sorely lacking. And when Reyna went down today, it would've been the perfect opportunity for him.

Is he injured?

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jun 22, 2006 8:22 pm

carcajou schreef:
jamcocteau schreef: My lack of understanding is people with no connection whatsoever with a country suddenly proclaiming that they are of that nationality and support that country against the country they were born and raised in.
Just to be clear about it, I never proclaimed to be Dutch. I'm as french as it gets, just not when it comes to football. Simple as that.
Well, I really started something here eh :D .

I'm with carcajou on this one, anyone who's met me (including you two) will see that I'm as English as it comes, I'm just not really very patriotic and especially not about football and sport in general. Sure, I have an England shirt or two but I never ever wear them and to watch the Paraguay game I actually walked out of one pub that was full of really "English" fans and went to one that was a bit more mixed (in terms of not being quite so madly patriotic - and in Lewisham's case not quite so exclusively white - around here that says something!).

I'd never suggest that I was Dutch or knew all about the national character etc and I don't know the words to the national anthem (even though I have a t-shirt with the words printed on it) but then you sure won't find me singing "God Save The Queen" either, even at football.

I understand the point jamcocteau is making 100% but I think that also says a lot about Scottish and English character as well though. In general terms most Scots will feel very Scottish and attached to their country but the English much less so to theirs for loads of reasons.

Anyway, since I only ever supported England less than 100% anway, I have no problems lending the rest to the NL team. There are just too many unpleasant connotations attached to "Englishness" anyway for my liking.

If/when England play NL, I shall be hoping for a good game, certainly won't feel torn if either team wins.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do jun 22, 2006 8:29 pm

I think O'brien was hurt. Surprise surprise. It might have been a different story if he was fit, but ultimately, despite officiating which left much to be desired, the US just wasn't good enough, and was unlucky where four years ago they had been lucky.

C'est la vie. I look forward to a new crop of players coming through, Oranje doing well, and a new Eredivisie season.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » do jun 22, 2006 8:50 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:.
carcajou schreef:
jamcocteau schreef:
Well, I really started something here eh :D .

I understand the point jamcocteau is making 100% but I think that also says a lot about Scottish and English character as well though. In general terms most Scots will feel very Scottish and attached to their country but the English much less so to theirs for loads of reasons.
LOL Well you certainly started something and has been interesting to read all the views. I respect others peoples views although not necessarily agree with them. I have attended 4 matches at this world cup and sat amongst the Poles, Swedes / Trinidadians, Portugese/Angolans and Americans but at the end of the day no matter how much I wanted somebody to win, the feeling was never going to be the same as watching my own country.

it is an international tournament after all with 11 players representing the countries they were born in, playing in their nations jerseys, having their national anthem played and the flag of their nation carried onto the pitch so no matter how much you can support another country, I personally feel that the support can never be as passionate for example as a Dutch born person or person of Dutch heritage supporting the NL, the players are representing them, their nation. For all of of the smaller nations like the Scots, Trinidadians, Angolans it is an opportunity for once to see their nation on a international stage so maybe national pride means more.

I understand SE16s point about the ugly side on nationalism too and this something which disturbs me as well as I did witness a few times last week.

Well just watched the Japanese take the lead against the Brazilians and no matter how much I support them, at the end of the day I can never understand how they must be feeling as at the end of the day I aint Japanese.

Well hope you all enjoy the rest of the World Cup as up till now it has been a great tournament, no matter who you are supporting

:D
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jun 22, 2006 8:58 pm

jamcocteau schreef:

LOL

it is an international tournament after all with 11 players representing the countries they were born in,
Having just weatched Alex set up the Japan goal against Brazil, it's my turn for the LOL now. I know what your saying though......
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » do jun 22, 2006 10:17 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Can someone enlighten me... what's up with O'Brien? I thought his ball-holding and distribution skills, especially his ability to create scoring opportunities for others, was sorely lacking. And when Reyna went down today, it would've been the perfect opportunity for him.

Is he injured?
I would't be surprised if he withdraws from playing soccer as of this week. Maybe he'll get to assist the new national coach.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » do jun 22, 2006 10:20 pm

ajaxusa schreef: Agreed, and all the grousing about referees... ech. USA just didn't have enough venom.
I'll be very disappointed if anyone tries to blame the U.S. elimination on the referees. The refs have been questionable to bad across the board in this tournament, not just for the U.S.

At the end of the day... ONE goal, ONE point, and only FOUR shots on target in three total games. That's not the ref's fault. The only two U.S. players that really showed anything in this tournament were Dempsey and McBride. Everyone else was pretty poor, and the biggest disappointment was the weak play of Donovan and Beasley.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » do jun 22, 2006 10:36 pm

jamcocteau schreef: I have attended 4 matches at this world cup and sat amongst the Poles, Swedes / Trinidadians, Portugese/Angolans and Americans but at the end of the day no matter how much I wanted somebody to win, the feeling was never going to be the same as watching my own country.
That's a really good point, mate. I agree with you... I'm not a fanatic patriot, but it will be strange for me to support my own nation's rivals. It is obvious for me that I support them, even if they play just like this year. OK, I may admire other teams for a will to fight, good technique and so on, but at the game Poland vs. Holland (you can put another country here) I'll be for the Poles.

But - in my opinion - it's completely different when you're talking about football clubs. Then there comes the love, so we can't blame anyone because he is Ajacied instead of Legia Warsaw fan :D .

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » do jun 22, 2006 10:55 pm

And as for today's games - I thought that it could be a big surprise when Japan scored a goal, but Brazil proved that they are one of the best teams. The result could be higher than 4-1, but Brazilians tried to make all the passes to Ronaldo, because he is very close to beat the most goals record.

As for the second game - men, I really wish I were Australian for a moment. I've almost got a heart attack. No doubts, it was one of the greatest games I've ever seen (I mean: emotional level, not the players abilities or great actions). That's the fantastic example of what will to fight, ambition and hearts are... Congratulation, Oz! You will have fantastic night tonight.

One thing was very strange - Geez, I'm young, but I've never seen such a crappy referee's decisions. The surprise is bigger, because it was Graham P., one of the best refs... Stjepan Tomas should get a red card for the second handball (I don't really know how did he miss that), a few Croats should get a card (just like Srna for pushing the referee)... And one more thing - maybe I missed something, but it looked for me that Josip Simunić got a second yellow card and he stayed on the field, because the ref forgot to show him a red card. Even camera operator noticed that and he put the information about the red card for Simunić. He got it at last, but - correct me if I'm wrong - after his 3rd yellow! At the end of the game Australians ran on the field to celebrate, but I am not sure if the ref made the final whistle. It looked like he wanted to tell something to the Croats but then didn't react... How is it possible that such a good referee lost control of the game?

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr jun 23, 2006 12:21 am

Ok I have to say that I am not patriotic with football and no I do not want England to win . The false hype in this country is driving me mad.

Let me make one thing clear I am proud to be english but my patriotism does not extend to football.

I make no apologies in saying I hope Holland wins if they play England next week.

I thought I was the only person who thought like this but a friend of mine ,A Crystal Palace supporter, shocked me today when he said the sooner we get knocked out the better as he too was fed up with the overhype.

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » vr jun 23, 2006 5:02 am

I hope Holland get revenge for Euro 2004 against Portugal, and Holland beat the Brits :D
Get a Cock

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jun 23, 2006 11:28 am

AsgAarD_xxx schreef:...As for the second game - men, I really wish I were Australian for a moment. I've almost got a heart attack. No doubts, it was one of the greatest games I've ever seen (I mean: emotional level, not the players abilities or great actions). That's the fantastic example of what will to fight, ambition and hearts are... Congratulation, Oz! You will have fantastic night tonight.
Cheers AsgAard - I was an emotional wreck after this game. I have never in my life felt such varied emotions. It was a truly amazing game. I have been watching football for a lot of years, and I really cannot think of one that had so much drama.

The Socceroos have my utmost respect right now. To say this team shows true spirit is an understatement. Sure we have some great individual talent, but it’s the way this bunch of guys play AS a team which gives them that extra spark.

I heard that one of the BBC commentators mentioned that this was THE best game at the WC and I don’t think he was too far off the mark. I think I will have to watch it again so I can actually watch it without swearing, crying, screaming, jumping etc. The game had everything from the great goals (man what a free kick), attacking football, some ridiculous errors (kalac – oh my god!), brilliant, brilliant stuff.

It was interesting to see how a neutral felt.

BTW – I agree with the ref. Australia had 3 legitimate penalties. First Viduka gets Rugby tackled by his old mate, then the 2nd, which got given, then the third when the Croatian defender Aussie Ruled the ball out of the box. How the ref missed all these is something beyond belief (plus what the hell was the linesman looking at?).

Then there was the 3 yellow card given to Siminic. WTF??????? Last time I checked 2 yellows mean a send off.

Anyway, its irrelevant now. We made it to the second round (and without sounding bias – deservedly so). Bring on the Azzuri.
jamcocteau schreef: Dan, one quick question with Croatia playing Australia this evening. What is the mood like down there considering the number of Croats down under and their influence in so many football clubs there.

The mood was a positive one. It has been really interesting.

The build up all week was around the 3 Australians that now play for Croatia. They went to the Aust Institute of sport (Simunic was there with Viduka btw). Then there was 6 Australians with Croatian backgrounds. Not too forget the large Croatian population here. Like a few of the Croatians/Australian fans said after the game here ‘We couldn’t lose’. They were upset by the loss but loved the fact the Australia made it.

Its going to be even crazier when we play Italy. Australia has a MASSIVE Italian population. Its going to go nuts. They had 20000 people watching the big screen in Melbourne’s centre this morning, not bad considering it was 5am and the middle of winter. They are expecting many, many more come Tuesday morning here.

btw - this is the best way I can describe my emotions during the game
:cheer: X'C :eusa_pray: :eusa_dance: :pukey: :sad: :nooo: :cheer: :eusa_dance: :yes: :worshippy:
Laatst gewijzigd door DanK op vr jun 23, 2006 11:41 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jun 23, 2006 11:37 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
Ayman schreef:Croatia will piss on the ozzies
Don't think they will.

K.
oh yeah - i remembered this :D

thanks for your support btw Ko :xyxthumbs:

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » vr jun 23, 2006 11:47 am

More like Graham Poll pissed on both teams
Get a Cock

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » vr jun 23, 2006 11:53 am

You summed up the game pretty well already. I can only agree with you, it was an excellently written drama that had it all.

I was cheering for Australia for several reasons. First of all, I have been enjoying all Australian games this far in the tourament. What a fighting spirit. Second, Australia deserved to win as they should have had two more penalties. Third, I predicted Brazil and Australia to the second round in our little betting tournament at home :)

Anyway, after a very well perfomed first stage the Aussies should be proud, but I do not believe they can defeat the Italians. Italy always defend very well and Buffon seems to be in great form. I simply believe Italy is a little too good for Australia, but I'm sure the Aussies won't give away the game easily. I'll keep rooting for this team, more than ever after the best game of the World Cup yesterday! :xyxthumbs: :worshippy:

EDIT: My sources also say that the Limecat is very impressed by this Australian team. ;)
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

dws

Bericht door dws » vr jun 23, 2006 12:42 pm

jamcocteau schreef: I personally feel that the support can never be as passionate for example as a Dutch born person or person of Dutch heritage supporting the NL, the players are representing them, their nation. For all of of the smaller nations like the Scots, Trinidadians, Angolans it is an opportunity for once to see their nation on a international stage so maybe national pride means more.
Now, if you were talking about Rugby :D

Watching Scotland play Rugby is a gut churning, nerve jangling, adrenalin fuelled, breaking out in a cold sweat experience for me. Watching Scotland play football has no such effect on me. However, whenever I watch/listen to an important match of the Netherlands I experience the same feelings as when I watch Scotland play Rugby.

Remember, we are talking about human behaviour ..... and some of us are just a little bit unusual, to say the least. :D

English Eagle

Bericht door English Eagle » vr jun 23, 2006 1:03 pm

SPL schreef:Ok I have to say that I am not patriotic with football and no I do not want England to win . The false hype in this country is driving me mad.

Let me make one thing clear I am proud to be english but my patriotism does not extend to football.

I make no apologies in saying I hope Holland wins if they play England next week.

I thought I was the only person who thought like this but a friend of mine ,A Crystal Palace supporter, shocked me today when he said the sooner we get knocked out the better as he too was fed up with the overhype.

Must be a Palace thing because i feel exactly the same.Despite following Palace up & down the country my passion has never attatched itself to watching England.I have to say that England games usually leave me angry & dissapointed, & while i will always try to be in front of a tv when they are playing i have never attended a game "live".The sooner we are knocked out the quicker we can stop worrying about who we are going to play in the next round etc etc & appreciate the game.

By the way i dont want to apologise for being English,i dont want to apologise for my country's history, & i dont see the Cross of St George as some symbol of the right wing. :sad:

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » vr jun 23, 2006 1:43 pm

English Eagle schreef:
SPL schreef:

By the way i dont want to apologise for being English,i dont want to apologise for my country's history, & i dont see the Cross of St George as some symbol of the right wing. :sad:
English Eagle, you never should have to either. Think that is the problem with living in a country which IMO to be quite honest has gone PC mad. No person should be made to feel that way. Personally I think it is great to see the English flying the Cross of St George - I remember attending lots of Scotland v England games at Hampden and Wembley in the 80s where the England support always flew the UJ which is not the english flag. Carry on flying the COSG

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jun 23, 2006 3:21 pm

AjaxPDX schreef:
ajaxusa schreef: Agreed, and all the grousing about referees... ech. USA just didn't have enough venom.
I'll be very disappointed if anyone tries to blame the U.S. elimination on the referees. The refs have been questionable to bad across the board in this tournament, not just for the U.S.

At the end of the day... ONE goal, ONE point, and only FOUR shots on target in three total games. That's not the ref's fault. The only two U.S. players that really showed anything in this tournament were Dempsey and McBride. Everyone else was pretty poor, and the biggest disappointment was the weak play of Donovan and Beasley.
I think you can add Convey and Onyewu to the list of players who acquitted themselves quite well. Other than that, I think you're right.

The penalty call was a bit harsh, imo, but even if there was no penalty call, the game would still be tied, and the US never really looked like scoring the goal that would put them into the second round.

As much as I love Arena, I think it is time for him to move on. I'd love to see Hiddink coach the US, but that's not going to happen.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jun 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Oh, and another thing:

Congrats Aussies! I'm really happy to see one of my favorite countries go through to the second round. I wish you guys all the best.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » vr jun 23, 2006 3:57 pm

Dan

Congrats to the Aussies on getting through to last 16 of the tournament. Great acheivement and one after reading your post that you must be extermely proud of.

Anyway, thought this was an interesting article on the BBC which might be of interest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 110042.stm

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » vr jun 23, 2006 4:35 pm

The last 15 minutes of the Australia-Croatia match as I saw it...

1. Blatant handball in the box by Croatia that should have been an Oz penalty. I mean, the guy's arm was straight up over his head when the ball hit it. Straight up. The best part... Poll saw the deflection and actually called a corner kick for Australia, yet he didn't say it was a handball, even though the ball deflected off the hand about two feet directly above the top of the guy's head.

2. On Oz's tying goal, not only Kewell, but also another player, were BOTH a couple feet offside.

3. A blatant Australia tackle in the box that should have been a Croatia penalty. The Croatia guy splits two defenders in the box with the ball, has a clear path between them, and BOTH guys slide tackle him to the ground after the ball is two feet beyond them. Easy call. Poll didn't call it.

4. Poll gave a Croatia guy (Simunic?) his second yellow... and didn't realise it was his second, and didn't send him off. Minutes later, the same guy gets his THIRD yellow, and Poll finally sends him off.

5. Poll blew his whistle to award Simunic's third yellow at the 93 minute mark. There were four minutes stoppage time. Some players on the bench and media folk around the field thought the blown whistle was for the end of the game and started milling around onto the field. Poll shows the yellow and red cards, then spends a minute trying to get everyone off the field so they can actually finish the last minute, and after 30 seconds of trying this, inexplicably just says, "screw it, we're outta here, game over."

And that was just the last 15 minutes. Exciting and entertaining, but... yikes.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » vr jun 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Geez, I'm afraid that this World Cup is dominated by referees' mistakes... They are just people, I know it - but how is it possible that the ref doesn't know that the red card is after 2 yellows (not 3) etc.? I thought (and believed) that it was only accident, but now I see that it is very sad rule this year. Have you seen a game Ukraine vs Tunisia? Men, I really don't know why Ukrainians got a penalty kick... There was no foul! Maybe even no physical contact...

:redcard: for all the men in black!!

Gesloten