World Cup 2006

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » ma jul 10, 2006 7:15 am

BTW Italy's victory may be a deja vu of their 1960 (i think) victory when in that year they had a scandal.
Get a Cock

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jul 10, 2006 7:56 am

All in all, this World Cup was crap.

Germany vs Italy was a thoroughly exciting game, but there were simply too many games that never got going. Too much caution, few scoring chances, little excitement.

I enjoyed watching Spain, Germany, Australia and Ghana. They more or less made the tournament for me. Also, France started to impress me after the group phase and Italy were most definitely not a horrible, negative team this time. Their only 'dirty', typically 'Italian' win was against Australia. In all the other games I actually liked them and I think the tournament got the winner it deserved.

The worst disappointments were Brazil and England, two teams that I thought were good enough for the final, but they didn't impress me for a single minute. I mean come on: even Holland played well for about 45 minutes in total (the first 20 against Serbia and the first 25 against Ivory Coast). Brazil and England have about ten times as much quality and experience, but they never got the engine started.

Worst team of the tournament: Portugal - by a lightyear. I really hate that diving, whining, cheating bunch of wankers, especially Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo. They were everything that Italy (surprisingly) weren't, and more. They also had the most annoying coach, with the most annoying 'latin/mediterranean' gestures at the sideline (and the most annoying little moustache).

(Holland did not really disappoint me, for the simple reason that I never expected anything from them)

K.
Laatst gewijzigd door Kowalczyk op ma jul 10, 2006 8:00 am, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma jul 10, 2006 7:56 am

ZoefdeHaas schreef:BTW Italy's victory may be a deja vu of their 1960 (i think) victory when in that year they had a scandal.
You mean 1982 when AC Milan had just been relegated due to a betting scandal and Rossi came back from a two year ban to win the Golden Boot (and the WC of course).

(1960 was a European Championships year (the first - won by the Soviet Union)
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » ma jul 10, 2006 8:09 am

Kowalczyk schreef:All in all, this World Cup was crap.

Germany vs Italy was a thoroughly exciting game, but there were simply too many games that never got going. Too much caution, few scoring chances, little excitement.

I enjoyed watching Spain, Germany, Australia and Ghana. They more or less made the tournament for me. Also, France started to impress me after the group phase and Italy were most definitely not a horrible, negative team this time. Their only 'dirty', typically 'Italian' win was against Australia. In all the other games I actually liked them and I think the tournament got the winner it deserved.

The worst disappointments were Brazil and England, two teams that I thought were good enough for the final, but they didn't impress me for a single minute. I mean come on: even Holland played well for about 45 minutes in total (the first 20 against Serbia and the first 25 against Ivory Coast). Brazil and England have about ten times as much quality and experience, but they never got the engine started.

Worst team of the tournament: Portugal - by a lightyear. I really hate that diving, whining, cheating bunch of wankers, especially Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo. They were everything that Italy (surprisingly) weren't, and more. They also had the most annoying coach, with the most annoying 'latin/mediterranean' gestures at the sideline (and the most annoying little moustache).

(Holland did not really disappoint me, for the simple reason that I never expected anything from them)

K.
Except for the first sentence you've put many things that I've been saying over the past few weeks into one post. :xyxthumbs: :D

Didn't you forget Argentina as one of the teams you enjoyed watching though?

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma jul 10, 2006 8:26 am

Kowalczyk schreef:

The worst disappointments were Brazil and England, two teams that I thought were good enough for the final
You're serious as well! I don't think anyone here seriously believed that (other than the people who were writing it in the papers).

I think it comes from looking in from outside, In England you get so used to the press hyping the team that you almost never believe a word of it.

I expected better things from the Netherlands to be honest (but then maybe that's the same thing).
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma jul 10, 2006 9:18 am

Kowalczyk schreef:All in all, this World Cup was crap.

K.
Pretty close to the mark Ko.

I thought this WC was pretty good for the first 2 weeks and then it got worse pretty quickly from there.

I was extremely happy that Australia did well and I also enjoyed watching Spain, Germany, Ghana, and I have to mention Argentina in spells. The Cambiasso goal for me was the best by far (25 passes). Simply brilliant.

I also have to say congrats to Italy. They cheated their way past Australia in rnd 2, but I have no hard feelings that they won. When they attacked they played extremely well.

Also agree with you re: Holland. Didnt expect them to shine. Still think 2008/2010 maybe their years.

And of course Portugal sucked dogs balls and got what they deserved in the end.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma jul 10, 2006 11:10 am

As usual Ko sums things up pretty well.

My biggest memory of this tourney will be diving and cheating perfected by
Portugal. They have been a disgrace to football . I am not saying English players do not dive but Ronaldo should be red carded every game .Sad thing is he has talent but he is the worst diver in football , and there are some good ones.

And Zidane being sent off just about summed up the tourney.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma jul 10, 2006 11:20 am

As per usual international is one long bore with very few good moments. To play this tournie in the blistering heat just never seems to make any sense to me - with the heat and humidity you will invariably get a go-slow, put you to sleep game.

Footie is all about club football and bloody cold days on the terraces - roll on real football.

BTW looking back in the thread nice to see that my prediction of France being the dark horses almost came right even though the idea was rubished at the time.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » ma jul 10, 2006 11:47 am

Zidane has been voted 'man of the tournament' today, with Cannavaro close behind him and Pirlo in third place.

I don't think anyone really dominated the World Cup and Zidane was piss poor in the beginning. His 'header' yesterday was for sure not worthy a World Cup king. The best goal scorer had 5 goals, the worst number for some 40 years.

My man would have been Cannavaro. His interceptions were as beautiful as defending can be.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jul 10, 2006 12:05 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:Footie is all about club football and bloody cold days on the terraces - roll on real football.
:headbang:

That's it, mate. Rock on. :D

Yeah.

K.
Still alive...

dws

Bericht door dws » ma jul 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:As per usual international is one long bore with very few good moments. To play this tournie in the blistering heat just never seems to make any sense to me - with the heat and humidity you will invariably get a go-slow, put you to sleep game.

Footie is all about club football and bloody cold days on the terraces - roll on real football.

BTW looking back in the thread nice to see that my prediction of France being the dark horses almost came right even though the idea was rubished at the time.
Almost is nothing :yes: ;)

I'm not sure anyone did rubbish your prediction of France as a darkhorse. I did state that they were in no way a better bet than Germany or the Netherlands, but that is quite some way different to dismissing their prospects.

I'm happy France didn't win the World Cup; they've been shit for the last 4 years ..... would have been terrible to have a World champion that has played only a couple of good games in that time.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma jul 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Here are some of my very-wacky reactions to some of the teams:

France: Terrific performance by the over-the-hill-gang. I was pulling for them.

Italy: Negative, cowardly, lackluster. I do not agree that football is war. It is sport. And if you don't have the stones to PLAY instead of just keeping both teams from playing, you are a disgrace. I don't blame the players, only the coach.

Netherlands: My god, what a dead-on-arrival effort. Geez, this team coulda used KJH.

England: Just sad. I didn't expect much better.

USA: Ditto. I told everyone they would not make it out of the group. Told you so.

Portugal: So much talent wasted on soccer-as-snuff-film.

Germany: Amazing. I can't believe I was rooting for Germany. Eff me. This team totally changed my perception of German football. One of the most positive things of this tournament, for me.

Brazil: They came in expecting to win based on the number of Nike commercials they've made. Didn't work out that way, and I must say, I'm glad.

Australia: Awesome. Similar to USA in '02, for me. Over-achievers that in the end deserved better. Anyone remember Frings' handball in the 1/4finals?

Korea: The myth is busted. Mediocre team, lacking ideas. Next.

Africa (okay, I'm lumping several teams together here, but here's my point): People didn't expect much because the "big" African teams (Nigeria, Cameroon) weren't there. But Ivory Coast, Ghana, even occasionally Togo, played some of the best football. Other than a bit too much diving (understandable considering how many of them play in Italy), they were always fun and inspiring to watch. Nice way to get us pumped for South Africa 2010.

Zidane: Just so sad. I think the poor bastard has a screw loose. Such a wonderful, composed player 95% of the time, and such a nutter on rare occasion. His foul is the only indelible moment of the tournament, which is really sad.

Did I mention how annoyed I am by the Italian tactics? This commentary expresses my feelings well: http://www.smh.com.au/news/world-cup-20 ... 78139.html

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » ma jul 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Worst team of the tournament: Portugal - by a lightyear. I really hate that diving, whining, cheating bunch of wankers, especially Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo. They were everything that Italy (surprisingly) weren't, and more. They also had the most annoying coach, with the most annoying 'latin/mediterranean' gestures at the sideline (and the most annoying little moustache).
I think you took it in the wrong way, because according to Fifaworlcup users, Portugal was the most entertaining team... I wonder if they're seriously speaking of Football here. :X
I think they could be more successful in swimming or at the Cannes Film Festival... :pukey:

( http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060709/1/8r3w.html )
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » ma jul 10, 2006 6:48 pm

Amazing thing... I've just read an interview with Miroslav Klose's father and I am really shocked. He was asked about "polish attack" of Germany (both Klose and Podolski were born in Poland) and he said that we should "stop talking this bollocks". As he said, all the things that Klose has got are thanks to Germany, so he is 100% German and that's how we should treat him. As he told to the journalists, Klose didn't get absolutely nothing from Poland and all the good things that polish press write of his son are because of crappy World Cup of polish team.

I really don't understand it. Both Klose's parent are Poles (his mother was in polish handball national squad), he wasn't born (and even wasn't grow up) there... He moved to Germany at the age of 8, so I wonder how is it possible that they could say that he is 100% German... It was the biggest shock in my life when I saw him singing german national anthem before the game Poland vs Germany. Podolski is different kind of man - he never forget where is he from and always says that his heart beats for Poland, too...

I don't know what to think about it... The interview was printed in a tabloid, so it's possible that they changed Klose-senior words. If not - Kloses are the biggest suckers I've ever known...

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » ma jul 10, 2006 7:51 pm

I can't say I hate Portugal for being diving, cheating cry babies. I think all the fucking teams of the world do that nowadays. There are a few stand up - do your work without taking a piss - real players. Zambrotta and Cannavaro are two of those. I salute thair play and enjoy that they got to take the cup home.

France got a penalty on a dive. Holland has Robben and van Persie, worthy of ANY Portuguese team in my book. Germany were faking injuries that my grandmother would have stood up after a simple brush-off of the grass from.

Well, rant over. Good thing that the world cup is too.
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

dws

Bericht door dws » ma jul 10, 2006 8:14 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Here are some of my very-wacky reactions to some of the teams:

Italy: Negative, cowardly, lackluster. I do not agree that football is war. It is sport. And if you don't have the stones to PLAY instead of just keeping both teams from playing, you are a disgrace. I don't blame the players, only the coach.
I think you must have been watching a rerun of Italy's efforts at the Euro in Portugal. :yes:

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma jul 10, 2006 9:26 pm

Per schreef:I can't say I hate Portugal for being diving, cheating cry babies. I think all the fucking teams of the world do that nowadays. There are a few stand up - do your work without taking a piss - real players. Zambrotta and Cannavaro are two of those. I salute thair play and enjoy that they got to take the cup home.

France got a penalty on a dive. Holland has Robben and van Persie, worthy of ANY Portuguese team in my book. Germany were faking injuries that my grandmother would have stood up after a simple brush-off of the grass from.

Well, rant over. Good thing that the world cup is too.
A penalty on a dive? Think again. And the referee forgot a clear call on Malouda in the second half. I hate this world cup. The italians don't deserve to be world champions. They never deserve anything anyway.
meh :|

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » ma jul 10, 2006 9:34 pm

I think it was a dive. Doesn't matter, as I said - I don't think anyone plays without dives, cheating or unsportsmanship conduct.

I do think the Italians deserved it, just as much as anyone else in the semis would have. Would have enjoyed seeing the Argentinians and Holland a few more games, but you can't have everything in life.

/ Per

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » ma jul 10, 2006 9:40 pm

carcajou schreef: The italians don't deserve to be world champions.
If Zidane deserves to be voted 'best player of the WC', then Italy do deserve the WC title for sure.

For once the Italians played really nice football, not even close to the shit they have done so many times before. Italy and Germany showed the best football this World Cup (apart from some teams in the group stage).
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

mick

Bericht door mick » ma jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm

did anyone realize that france got all the way through the knockout rounds without scoring a goal from play? they were all from frees, and mostly dives at that! v spain, a henry dive, holding his face after puyol didn't even come anywhere near contacting his face (what a whinging bitch!), the resulting free was crossed in and viera scored; bullshit goal. against brazil, a cross from a free that henry scored. didn't see a replay, but i'd put a fiver on it that the "foul" wouldn't have knocked my three year old nephew over. against portugal, the magnificent henry again, going over like a ninety-year-old, diving in the area; another bullshit goal, and the reason the game turned into a dive fest with portugal looking for the obligatory make up call. then yesterday good ol malouda diving like a little fairy. i'm glad a team that relies on the dive as their only attack lost. this would put you off football. disgusting

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma jul 10, 2006 10:59 pm

Wow, it's amazing how so many level-headed (?) gentlemen can watch the same games and players and see such utterly different things.

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » ma jul 10, 2006 11:18 pm

THAT'S IT!

Now you may call me many things, but not level-headed.

:D

I also actually agreee with some people here. Ghana were great to watch. Germany really tried, and seem to have pulled that off quite well.

Holland were just like Holland always are.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di jul 11, 2006 12:00 am

ajaxusa schreef:Wow, it's amazing how so many level-headed (?) gentlemen can watch the same games and players and see such utterly different things.
Because too many people across the globe are just gluttons for some basic France bashing...

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » di jul 11, 2006 12:03 am

You could say the same about Italy.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di jul 11, 2006 12:29 am

Thomas schreef:You could say the same about Italy.
At least there are tons of good reasons to hate Italy. France is known neither for his cheaters nor for his divers.
Laatst gewijzigd door carcajou op di jul 11, 2006 12:36 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Gesloten