Ajax on Television (+ Webcasts, YouTube etc.)

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Harm

Re: Setanta to show Eredivisie games in North America

Bericht door Harm » wo aug 09, 2006 3:36 pm

ajaxusa schreef:I got email from Setanta NA saying that they plan to televise Dutch soccer in the U.S.! This will be the first time in at least two (?) years that North American fans can see Eredivisie games on television!! More info available on Ajax USA TV Page

:xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:

Upcoming Broadcasts on Setanta NA: (all times Eastern US)
* Round 1:
o Sat 19 Aug 1.30pm: Willem II Tilburg v. FC Utrecht
o Sun 20 Aug 8.30am: AZ Alkmaar v. NAC Breda
o Sun 20 Aug 8.30am: SC Heracles Almelo v. Twente Enschede
* Round 2:
o Sat 26 Aug 2pm: FC Utrecht v. Sparta Rotterdam

:cheer: ... AND THEN HOPEFULLY A WHOLE BUNCH OF AJAX GAMES!!! :cheer:
They have a strange way of selecting matches... Why would anyone in the US watch Utrecht vs Sparta?

Oh, and AZ - NAC will be played on Saturday.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 09, 2006 4:58 pm

I imagine that they get their feed from another network, and I don't think they'll be showing every match live (which is why some of the Saturday matches will be broadcast on Sundays).
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » wo aug 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Maybe the suits at Setanta didn't want to pay extra for matches with Ajax, PSV and F-word, and you'll all be wasting your bucks and pounds on an entire season of games like NEC vs. Heracles.

:666:
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 09, 2006 10:08 pm

666 schreef:Maybe the suits at Setanta didn't want to pay extra for matches with Ajax, PSV and F-word, and you'll all be wasting your bucks and pounds on an entire season of games like NEC vs. Heracles.

:666:
That's not a waste for some. I'd rather watch that than Serie A any day.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

BPBlueSox
Contacteer:

Bericht door BPBlueSox » do aug 10, 2006 5:46 pm

Those games aren't going to be on Sentanta. Go look at the schedule on their website. The only thing they have listed is a match at 6:30 on Sunday the 20th "to be confirmed".

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do aug 10, 2006 6:33 pm

Just to let my British mates know that Channel 5 will be showing Dutch footy this season. I Emailed them. These will still be on the following Thursday
when the results are known but you still get to see about half of Ajax's league games whick is okay as you do not have to pay for this channel.

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » za aug 12, 2006 12:28 am

For British viewers watch ESPN classic on channel 442 on sky. They have been showing some great matches lately from the 70s including one of the Ajax European Cup Finals, the others to be shown at a later date.

And tonight for our scottish members, a wee treat - the England v Scotland game from 1977 at wembley, where after our brilliant victory we decided to do a bit of a makeover on the stadium by removing the turf and the goalposts and shipping them back North. :D

http://www.espnclassic.com/deadgoodspor ... /index.asp
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

Sevag

Bericht door Sevag » za aug 12, 2006 12:41 am

SPL schreef:Just to let my British mates know that Channel 5 will be showing Dutch footy this season.
What time will they be shown, I expect it to be after 1am, like last season?

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » za aug 12, 2006 2:02 am

No Setanta for me .I've cable not Direct TV . The first time I try to install a Direct Tv dish, the blue-haired crowd who govern my condo association , a.k.a. State Correctional Facility Media, will have me flogged . X'C

I'll need photos of either the president of the cable tv company en flagrante delicto :redcard: before they add Setanta.

One comfort . I know the sterling types on this message board will keep me informed of what they see via their excellent posts .
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 12, 2006 7:33 pm

Hi Sevag yes Channel 5 will be showing 1am or later

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo aug 13, 2006 12:19 am

BPBlueSox schreef:Those games aren't going to be on Sentanta. Go look at the schedule on their website. The only thing they have listed is a match at 6:30 on Sunday the 20th "to be confirmed".
That original list of matches came straight out of an email to me from Setanta staff. Not sure what that was all about... but their website schedule now says they will televise this:

Sun 20 Aug 6:30am: PSV v NEC (L)

So, it's not Ajax, but it's live, and it's a "big 3" game. That bodes well for getting some Ajax in future...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo aug 13, 2006 8:51 am

There's no mention on the Setanta website of any live Eredivisie games next weekend (though there are a couple of "to be confirmed" games from Europe so they may show something).

There is an hour long Eredivisie highlights programme at 5.45pm on Tuesday though. I'm really happy about that, Sunday night would have been better but this will beat the Talpa highlights (on a 2" screen on my PC) hands down!!

So, there should be highlights at least of Ajax every week (in proper tv Quality on a proper TV sized screen) :xyxthumbs:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

dws

Bericht door dws » zo aug 13, 2006 11:56 am

A web tv link for Ajax v PSV can be found in 'the Match of the day' thread.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo aug 13, 2006 1:19 pm

I wonder whether Channel 5's Dutch games will be the same as Setanta!

Last week I emailed Channel 5 to ask about dutch footy and they told me the first game will be NEC v PSV. Now you are quoting that game for Setanta.

Last season 14 Ajax league games were shown on Channel 5, the previous 3 seasons we were on about 17/18 times. However as we struggled last season and Az were also shown more we were on less.

The main point is that all we Ajax lovers from outside of Holland will be getting the opportunity to watch our team. It does not compare with being at a live game but for myself watching us on Channel 5 even though I know the result at least gives me a regular chance to see the team and players.

And hopefully there will be the live CL games again this season.

Frans

Bericht door Frans » zo aug 13, 2006 2:49 pm

SPL schreef: The main point is that all we Ajax lovers from outside of Holland will be getting the opportunity to watch our team. It does not compare with being at a live game but for myself watching us on Channel 5 even though I know the result at least gives me a regular chance to see the team and players.

And hopefully there will be the live CL games again this season.
Some win, some lose. Everyone who relied on ESPN (south america, oceania) have evidently lost. Looks like we'll have to make do with the weekly highllights show on BVN

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » ma aug 14, 2006 6:30 am

yeah it a shame, but oh well i still get to see the ocasional champions league game and thanks to talpa get too see some cup games, ad a little web cast here and there and maybe it wont be so bad. By the way a heard somebody say that the Kobenhavn-Ajax games were going to be showed on RTL 7 well i do get an RTL trough an internet page, i would just like to know if that would work.....
BRING IT ON !!!!...

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » di aug 15, 2006 10:31 am

jamcocteau schreef:For British viewers watch ESPN classic on channel 442 on sky. They have been showing some great matches lately from the 70s including one of the Ajax European Cup Finals, the others to be shown at a later date.

http://www.espnclassic.com/deadgoodspor ... /index.asp
Ajax v Juventus European Cup Final from 1973 is to be shown this weekend on Friday and Saturday, not sure of times though. Programme to last one hour
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo aug 16, 2006 7:15 pm

ajaxusa schreef:
BPBlueSox schreef:Those games aren't going to be on Sentanta. Go look at the schedule on their website. The only thing they have listed is a match at 6:30 on Sunday the 20th "to be confirmed".
That original list of matches came straight out of an email to me from Setanta staff. Not sure what that was all about... but their website schedule now says they will televise this:

Sun 20 Aug 6:30am: PSV v NEC (L)

So, it's not Ajax, but it's live, and it's a "big 3" game. That bodes well for getting some Ajax in future...
Hold the phone... before anyone takes the plunge with DirecTV and Setanta, let's give this some time to see if they can get their act together re the Dutch League. This started with an initial email from Setanta to me, listing a whole bunch of games over the first two weekends. But those never appeared on their online schedule, so I wrote again and they said basically "We just haven't gotten around to adding them to the website." Well, a week later, and they're still not there.

Moreover, they had added the PSV game for Aug 20. Now that's gone.

I wrote back to my contact at Setanta, and got an auto-reply that he'll "be out of the office for a week. I should contact (another email address) with any urgent questions." So I wrote to THAT address, and... it bounced back s undeliverable.

I now have EXTREMELY low expectations for Setanta showing Dutch league games, e.g. I'll believe it when I see it... :nooo:

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr aug 18, 2006 11:36 pm

ajaxusa schreef:I wrote back to my contact at Setanta, and got an auto-reply that he'll "be out of the office for a week. I should contact (another email address) with any urgent questions." So I wrote to THAT address, and... it bounced back s undeliverable.
Update: Setanta HAVE responded to my emails and have given me as much info as they can. Seems that Premiership games will take precedence over Dutch league, and they don't always know too far in advance which games they'll have. So the schedule will be dynamic. They may end up showing more Dutch games on delay. That's cool; so long as the games are on... :xyxthumbs:

Currently, their online schedule says:

* Sun 20 Aug 10:00pm Eastern PSV vs NEC Nijmegen - Eredivisie
- repeated Tuesday, Wednesday,
* Sun 27 Aug 6:15am Eredivisie - tbc K.O. 06:30 ET (repeated 1am that night)

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » za aug 19, 2006 12:59 am

great first match :sad: 2 boring teams
Henk de Gier is geniaal en zijn tijd ver vooruit.
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » za aug 19, 2006 2:15 am

Henk de Gier schreef:great first match :sad: 2 boring teams
Like I said earlier: beats the Serie A.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » za aug 19, 2006 11:19 am

this match could be serie A (on the level of boring) but less quality.
Henk de Gier is geniaal en zijn tijd ver vooruit.
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

De Kuyper

Bericht door De Kuyper » zo aug 20, 2006 1:47 pm

any webcasts for the RKC game?

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di aug 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Well, I've just watched the first of Setanta's weekly Eredivisie highlights programmes. To be honest they could do better (I suppose it is their first go) but anything at all is better than just the one game on Channel 5 (and about 30 seconds on Eurosport Eurogoals).

They use the same titles and music as Talpa's "Eredivisie - De Wedstrijden" programme and seem to use Talpa's pictures as well (though their camera's missed a couple of the goals so there may be some problem there). You get a 50 minute programme with no links/studio content (or teamsheets!), just brief titles for each match. The (Scottish) commentators could also do with some Dutch pronunciation lessons as well - Hitttinger of Ajax and Matt Eason of AZ Alkmaar anyone?

Overall though, a good show. They are showing the whole of PSV v NEC from the weekend tommorrow and the website is promising 40 live Eredivisie games so I'm very hopeful of seeing some Ajax (I just hope they show them on Setanta 1 as I can't get Setanta 2 on my NTL cable TV....) :xyxthumbs:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » di aug 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Is there any chance of us watching Ajax tomorrow?

Plaats reactie