Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » wo aug 23, 2006 10:24 am

Ayman schreef:Hi, everyone, I am addressing the American people on this forum, Im 24 yrs old, post graduate, with 3 years experience as an Accounts and Administration assistant. Over the past year I have been trying to engineer a move to America. The reason for this post is that there is a sense of urgency now. Im not going to go on the lines of politics/religion, but because of whats going on in the world, discrimination in London from my personal experience is getting very bad, I wont go into it in too much detail, as I dont want to bore you. The other reason why I want to leave, is so I can see more of the world, I mean Im in my mid 20's and America would be ideal for me. I have made acquaintances with people who work over there who also originate from the middle east(like me), in London that is, they dont experience the same discrimination that I do. To be honest I dont feel like going out at night anymore like I used to in London, my moral is low a bit, forgive me for being melodramatic but its true. Since I have duel citizenship, would there be a chance if I wanted to emigrate to America, because Ive also met some Brits (middle east origin) who were rejected unless they have a sponsorer there. Can anyone clarify this for me.
just a question, do you think that the racism and discrimination is less in America?
Henk de Gier is geniaal en zijn tijd ver vooruit.
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » wo aug 23, 2006 5:04 pm

I know you didn't ask me, but it depends on the area of the US that you're talking about.

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » wo aug 23, 2006 5:17 pm

are you sure? In think it's just as worse wherever you go, Arabs are the new 'niggers' :(

A friend of mine, black man with rasta hair, drives a SUV and lives in NYC. With the power down 2 years ago he saw an elderly lady looking for transportation, he offered her a ride and to his suprise she accepted, while before 9/11 nobody would think of getting in a car with a black rasta. But now, nobody will get in a car with Arabs (unless they are taxidrivers).
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo aug 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Henk de Gier schreef:are you sure? In think it's just as worse wherever you go, Arabs are the new 'niggers' :(

A friend of mine, black man with rasta hair, drives a SUV and lives in NYC. With the power down 2 years ago he saw an elderly lady looking for transportation, he offered her a ride and to his suprise she accepted, while before 9/11 nobody would think of getting in a car with a black rasta. But now, nobody will get in a car with Arabs (unless they are taxidrivers).
Well I think you're just asking for trouble getting a ride these days anyway. It's all very perceptive.

If you had a group of 400 pound white women bombing places, rioting or enerally causing mayhem, trust me no one would ride with 400 pound white women anymore.

Didn't americans lock up japanese, russians, koreans before during wars with those people. Unluckily for the arabs, it's just their turn to be in the spotlight.

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » wo aug 23, 2006 5:37 pm

Amol schreef: Didn't americans lock up japanese, russians, koreans before during wars with those people. Unluckily for the arabs, it's just their turn to be in the spotlight.
That's what I said, Arabs are the new 'niggers', as hard as that sounds.

Unnessecary to say that i hate racism, and that I don't blame all arabs or muslims for the actions of a few motherfuckers.
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Amol schreef: If you had a group of 400 pound white women bombing places, rioting or enerally causing mayhem, trust me no one would ride with 400 pound white women anymore.
There are plenty of other reasons to refuse a ride from a 400lb white woman. Particularly if you've had a few drinks too many.

Please, learn from my mistakes. :blush:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » vr aug 25, 2006 8:46 am

Are there any computer wizkids out there?

Since I installed TV Ants all these windows explorer windows have been opening automatically on this site:

http://www.7939.com/

It looks like some kind of Asian Yahoo or something. I've tried to reset my homepage to yahoo, but it won't go.

My pc has been showing some other problems as well. Some 'errors' here and there. It's really ticking me off. Can anyone help me?

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr aug 25, 2006 9:27 am

Did you tried some tools like Ad-Aware or Spybot - Search and Destroy ? I think it can help for this kind of problem. (I must say I also installed TVants and didn't noticed any problem since)
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » vr aug 25, 2006 9:30 am

I've used Spybot and Hitmanpro so far, and neither one have worked. :sad:

dws

Bericht door dws » vr aug 25, 2006 11:04 am

Thomas schreef:Are there any computer wizkids out there?

Since I installed TV Ants all these windows explorer windows have been opening automatically on this site:

http://www.7939.com/

It looks like some kind of Asian Yahoo or something. I've tried to reset my homepage to yahoo, but it won't go.

My pc has been showing some other problems as well. Some 'errors' here and there. It's really ticking me off. Can anyone help me?
Thomas, this link should prove very useful: http://majorgeeks.com

Register and then click on the link for the support forum at the top of the page. Seems you may have a hijack problem

ps; prior to the above you could download and scan with ewido: http://ewido.net/en/

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » vr aug 25, 2006 7:45 pm

Thanks, DWS. I've registered at majorgeeks.com and told them about my problem. I'm waiting for their reaction now.

I've also downloaded the trial of Ewido. Let's hope this works. :eusa_pray:

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za aug 26, 2006 2:53 am

Amol said:
Didn't americans lock up japanese, russians, koreans before during wars with those people. Unluckily for the arabs, it's just their turn to be in the spotlight.
The problem is unlike the japs, koreans nd russians, this is gonna last a lifetime, and if anything else WILL get worse.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za aug 26, 2006 10:33 pm

Hey does anyone know Steve Gordon, an Ajax fan from North Carolina?

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma aug 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Yes, I know Steve well. LONG time Ajax USA 'member' and friend...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo sep 06, 2006 2:21 pm

Far-right politicians criticized France soccer players Lilian Thuram and Patrick Vieira for inviting evicted squatters to watch Wednesday's European Championship qualifying game against Italy.

About 200 squatters - mostly illegal immigrants - have lived in a gymnasium south of Paris after being evicted from an abandoned university dormitory on Aug. 17.

"Why don't they go even further and invite these illegal immigrants to stay in their homes?" said Philippe de Villiers, a far-right presidential hopeful, on French radio RTL. "It's always interesting to see billionaires give lessons to society."

France's national soccer team has been hailed as an example of diversity for its large number of immigrants and players of black and North African descent.

Thuram has defended the team in the past against accusations by extreme-right leaders that its players are not "French" enough.

Fidel Nitiena, a spokesman for the squatters, said about 70 of them would take a chartered bus to watch France play Italy at the Stade de France outside Paris in a replay of the July 9 World Cup final, which Italy won in a penalty shootout.

"We haven't decided who will go yet," Nitiena said. "But we're pretty organized so I'm sure we'll be able to discuss it."

Good to see that we also have clever footballers...Well done guys ! :xyxthumbs:

PARIS, Sept 6 (Reuters) - French soccer star Lilian Thuram has invited 80 homeless immigrants to watch France play Italy in Paris on Wednesday, sparking criticism by a right-wing politician at a time of fierce domestic debate over immigration.

Thuram's offer has struck a nerve as France has one of the world's most ethnically diverse soccer teams but remains deeply divided over immigration, notably after youths -- many of them descendants of immigrants -- rioted in poor suburbs last year.

'It's great that Thuram is taking us to the match tonight,' said Fidele Nitiema, one of some 200 immigrants who have been sleeping in an overcrowded gym since being expelled from a squat south of Paris three weeks ago.

'It will show the French that we are still here,' said the 35-year-old from Ivory Coast, who has refused to leave the gym until authorities find the immigrants permanent homes.

'The French soccer team reflects France. We're all the same, no matter what skin colour we have,' he said.

During this year's World Cup, many immigrants said they felt frustrated that the country was praising France's multi-ethnic soccer team on the field, but treated its immigrants like second-class citizens in daily life.

Zinedine Zidane, who retired after the World Cup, is the son of Algerian Kabyle immigrants. Like Thuram, striker Thierry Henry is also of West Indian origin while many others have African roots, including Patrick Vieira and Claude Makelele.

Thuram has previously criticised Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, who has pushed a tough immigration stance and is a conservative frontrunner for 2007 presidential polls, for imitating the policies of far-right leader Jean-Marie Le Pen.

The defender's invitation to the squatters, which won wide coverage on French media, triggered sharp criticism from right-wing politicians.

The squatters say they fear officials will send them to shabby, isolated hotels and force them out shortly afterwards.

French Sports Minister Jean-Francois Lamour said players could invite who they liked, but urged France's soccer federation 'to take care that a match of the French national team is not exploited.'

Sarkozy tightened immigration rules after the riots and has vowed to expel thousands of illegal foreigners this year.
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di sep 12, 2006 7:59 pm

We had this conversation a while back I know but someone please solve this one for me.

I just started watching the PSV - Liverpool game and the ITV commentater was talking about Dirk Kuyt saying that he'd pronounced his name all sorts of ways but that the proper way was "K-OUT".

I've always called him K-OY-T. Small point but it bugs me - which is correct please??
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di sep 12, 2006 8:16 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:We had this conversation a while back I know but someone please solve this one for me.

I just started watching the PSV - Liverpool game and the ITV commentater was talking about Dirk Kuyt saying that he'd pronounced his name all sorts of ways but that the proper way was "K-OUT".

I've always called him K-OY-T. Small point but it bugs me - which is correct please??
The actual pronunciation involves a vowel sound that is very difficult for non-native speakers to replicate. In my opinion, "Kout" is closer to the correct pronunciation than "Koyt" is.

And while I'm at it, it annoys me that English-speaking commentators say "Shtam" and "Shneijder."
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di sep 12, 2006 8:44 pm

aveslacker schreef: The actual pronunciation involves a vowel sound that is very difficult for non-native speakers to replicate. In my opinion, "Kout" is closer to the correct pronunciation than "Koyt" is.

And while I'm at it, it annoys me that English-speaking commentators say "Shtam" and "Shneijder."
OK, I'll have to remember that. Have to admit, I've not heard anyone badly mangling Stam or Sneijder (Stam played here for years which might explain with him). I think it must be a US TV thing though the Scottish Setanta commentators seem to be having a go with just about every other name this season.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di sep 12, 2006 9:37 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
aveslacker schreef: The actual pronunciation involves a vowel sound that is very difficult for non-native speakers to replicate. In my opinion, "Kout" is closer to the correct pronunciation than "Koyt" is.

OK, I'll have to remember that. Have to admit, I've not heard anyone badly mangling Stam or Sneijder (Stam played here for years which might explain with him). I think it must be a US TV thing though the Scottish Setanta commentators seem to be having a go with just about every other name this season.
It is the Scottish Setanta commentators that I'm referring to here. There is only one good American soccer commentator, John Harkes, and he no longer does any commentary work.

The rest suck huge donkey balls.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di sep 12, 2006 10:04 pm

aveslacker schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:

It is the Scottish Setanta commentators that I'm referring to here. There is only one good American soccer commentator, John Harkes, and he no longer does any commentary work.

Ah, must have missed that...so you get the Scottish commentators as well then. I thought that the USA would have had it's own commentary team.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di sep 12, 2006 10:09 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef: OK, I'll have to remember that. Have to admit, I've not heard anyone badly mangling Stam or Sneijder (Stam played here for years which might explain with him). I think it must be a US TV thing though the Scottish Setanta commentators seem to be having a go with just about every other name this season.

Ah, must have missed that...so you get the Scottish commentators as well then. I thought that the USA would have had it's own commentary team.
Thank goodness no. (See above rant about lack of quality commentators.)

Although they could be speaking Urdu and I wouldn't care. I'm just happy that I can see Ajax play with some regularity this year.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di sep 12, 2006 10:15 pm

aveslacker schreef: Thank goodness no. (See above rant about lack of quality commentators.)
Well, if you think the Setanta ones are good, then what you had before must have been really bad. I think they're alright, but certainly wouldn't rate them above anyone else, even mad Joanthon Pierce on the BBC.

Anyway, it's great to see Ajax a bit more (and the other highlights as well, I've been watching that show for a year over my PC but the TV is about 10,000 times better.....)

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do sep 21, 2006 12:44 pm

I was in SE6Ajacied's backyard of Blackpool yesterday and I felt that I just had to warn you that if you guys ever make it up there make sure that you take a translator with you to turn English into the language that the locals understand. Is my southern accent that difficult to understand? (BTW guys don't answer that one :D) I always thought that beer sounded like beer in whatever place you were in. :bier:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do sep 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:I was in SE6Ajacied's backyard of Blackpool yesterday and I felt that I just had to warn you that if you guys ever make it up there make sure that you take a translator with you to turn English into the language that the locals understand. Is my southern accent that difficult to understand? (BTW guys don't answer that one :D) I always thought that beer sounded like beer in whatever place you were in. :bier:
Did you go to see the lights? I hope you said "hello" to my brick in the walk of fame outside the ground - I must pay it a visit myself soon, haven't been up there for a year or so now.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do sep 21, 2006 9:51 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef: Did you go to see the lights? I hope you said "hello" to my brick in the walk of fame outside the ground - I must pay it a visit myself soon, haven't been up there for a year or so now.
I went to see the final day of the Waterloo (no it isn't the grand finale to the war between Jammy and Philippe) - its the crown green bowls equivalent of a Wemberley final - lots of tradition involved.
Great atmosphere with about 2 to 3000 people getting steadily rat faced from 9.30 in the morning to about 6.30 in the evening, lots of betting opportunities, some great heckling from the crowd. and even some great bowls - I really love it and try and make sure that I make it every year. Didn't bother with a trip to the ground which isn't that far away - if I had known your name is up in lights I would have wandered around - maybe next year if the competition is still on as doubts surround it due to the company that owns the pub and ground going into administration last week.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Plaats reactie