The Committee's Conclusions

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di feb 19, 2008 11:00 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:"And one last plea - just remember when you are calling for this person or other to be sacked, that they too are a human being trying to earn a living the best they can and that by sacking them you might cause them and their family great suffering etc"

Oh puhr-leaze.

you don't think these guys haven't arranged lucrative golden parachutes for themselves?

It's a tough old world at the top of the tree, (or even as in this case, half way up it) and you either sink or swim.
So thats a good reason to hound these guys to this sort of level is it? Not in my books but then we all live by different standards.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo feb 20, 2008 2:23 am

Well if they aren't up to the job...

The likes of Jan Wouters and Danny Blind were obviously way out of their depth (but that's not their fault, they should never have been appointed in the first place). Although I agree it does get too personal a lot of the time.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo feb 20, 2008 2:28 am

Anyway, the following was just on the news...

John Jakke is quitting.

Johan Cruijff is being appointed in some kind of technical role. God help whoever the new manager is.

Then there was a load of shit about how commissions and boards will work differently, which sounded like a case of musical chairs.

I don't expect much will change. I don't think there was that much wrong in the first place to be honest. The two main problems were lack of decent scouting and a lack of hardman types in the youth system. I don't think the whole club was in crisis though, as the media seems to have been suggesting.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo feb 20, 2008 9:12 am

Cruijff terug bij Ajax.

Cruijff is back.

:welcome:

Afbeelding
Appie, stay strong !

Manneken Pis *

Bericht door Manneken Pis * » wo feb 20, 2008 9:57 am

philippe schreef:Cruijff terug bij Ajax.

Cruijff is back.

Afbeelding
Cruijff as the brains, Van Basten as the "hands and feet".

Well, it didn't work with the national team, but I guess this is different as they have 100% day-to-day control over the players.

I'm optimistic.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » wo feb 20, 2008 10:44 am

Manneken Pis * schreef:
philippe schreef:Cruijff terug bij Ajax.

Cruijff is back.

Afbeelding

Well, it didn't work with the national team, but I guess this is different as they have 100% day-to-day control over the players.

I'm optimistic.
Van Basten and Johan - El Salvador - Cruijff!! That's a friggin' playersmagnet-couple!

Finally some footballbrains in the organisation!

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo feb 20, 2008 11:46 am

I feel sorry for Jaakke, and very happy for Ajax.

A very good decision for the club.

Cruyff handed new post at Ajax
Wednesday 20 February 2008

Johan Cruyff has been given a new role to reshape AFC Ajax's technical policy after a members' meeting prompted the club board to step down.
New structure
The current board, under the leadership of chairman John Jaakke, have announced their intention to resign following the report of a committee led by Uri Coronel concerning the club's lack of success over the last ten years. The report suggested a change of management structure at the club, with the directors having less say in footballing matters and a strong general manager being put in charge of technical affairs. Cruyff, an honorary board member who attended the members' meeting, has been asked to take a hand in shaping this new system, with a club statement saying: "Cruyff said he is willing to do it. Further deliberation is needed before we know the details of all this."
Cruyff pedigree
The 60-year-old Cruyff retired from coaching in 1998 after an eight-year spell at FC Barcelona, having been in charge of Ajax between 1986 and 1988. He started his career at the Amsterdam club in 1964, spending nine seasons there before moving on to play for Barcelona between 1973 and 1978. He subsequently played in the United States, returning to the Netherlands for final spells with Ajax and Feyenoord in the early 1980s. In total, he won eight league titles and five Dutch Cups at Ajax as well as three European Champion Clubs' Cups. As a coach he led the club to two cup successes and the 1987 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup. Ajax have won three league titles and five Dutch Cups in the last decade, but rivals PSV Eindhoven have won six titles and one cup in the same period.
©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.

Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- AFC Ajax NV, the only Dutch publicly traded soccer club, said its supervisory board will step down and Johan Cruijff will return to the club as a technical adviser by the beginning of next season.
Cruijff, who became the first $1 million player when he was transferred from Ajax to Barcelona in 1973, won 10 national titles as a player at Ajax, Barcelona and Feyenoord. He won two league cup titles with Ajax as a coach in 1986 and 1987.
Details of Cruijff's role haven't yet been determined, the Amsterdam-based club said in an e-mailed statement today. An internal committee this week recommended Ajax investigate a termination of its listing on Euronext Amsterdam.
Appie, stay strong !

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Van Basten has never managed a club in his life. The last two managers with no club management experience appointed were Jan Wouters and Danny Blind. I had hoped we would have learned a lesson or two from that.

Now you're going to tell me that it's o.k., because Cruijff will be there to guide him. Ireland appointed a total rookie as manager (Staunton), and appointed Bobby Robson, one of the most experienced and successful managers in the game, to guide him. It didn't work out. In fact, it was an unmitigated disaster.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo feb 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Manneken Pis * schreef:

I'm optimistic.
I've said this earlier, but I think van Basten can actually do some good as the manager of the side. I really think he can build a squad, something which you are unable to really do as a national coach.

Its good to also see Cruijff finally stop complaining from the outside and getting in there to do something about it.

van Basten and Cruijff could be something in the making here. Maybe with those 2 at the helm a few players might decide to stay just a little longer. Although I am talking about vB as if its confirmed, which I don't think it is yet.

Lets wait and see...I am also very hopeful though

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 20, 2008 1:03 pm

I''ll save my 'serious' thoughts for later...

For now... I'M THRILLED!

Johan Cruijff and Marco van Basten taking Ajax by the hand... I'm very moved. I really am.

At least we won't have a lack of charisma.

K.
Still alive...

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » wo feb 20, 2008 2:15 pm

That's very nice indeed, but they have a huge task and I wouldn't like to see those two destroyed if they don't succeed, which is an option. But right now, none of them have an official function at Ajax. We have to wait...
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo feb 20, 2008 2:20 pm

bryan schreef:Van Basten has never managed a club in his life. The last two managers with no club management experience appointed were Jan Wouters and Danny Blind. I had hoped we would have learned a lesson or two from that.

Now you're going to tell me that it's o.k., because Cruijff will be there to guide him. Ireland appointed a total rookie as manager (Staunton), and appointed Bobby Robson, one of the most experienced and successful managers in the game, to guide him. It didn't work out. In fact, it was an unmitigated disaster.
Van Basten has not, that is correct.

But Cruijff has.

Successfully.

With all due respect, Cruijff @ Ajax is not comparable with Robson @ Eire because of the age difference.

I could go further about Cruijff's footballing vision, tactical nous, passion for youth development, lack of fear in tackling the 'establishment', international experience, e.t.c. but I'll stick to age difference because I still like ow' Bobby.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo feb 20, 2008 3:15 pm

official statement :
The Members Council and the Board of the club Ajax have met. The report of the committee Coronel has been discussed.

The first recommendation that the Members Council and the Board have adopted concerns changes in the governing model.

- The Managing Board of AFC Ajax PLC is responsible for the policy and its implementation.
- This Managing Board is headed by a managing director who will also be the figure head of the club.
- The Board of Governors operates on a distance and has a controlling and advisory role.
- The Members Council sollely fulfills the role of share holder and still has the authority to hire or fire board members of the amateur branch of the club.

This structure will be developed and implemented. The current Board, consisting of chairman John Jaakke, member technical affairs Hennie Henrichs and member financial affairs Joop Saan, are of the opinion that with a new structure there should be a new Board. The Board members have indicated that they will step down as soon as the new structure has been given shape, includin the new appointments. This will be before the end of the current football season at the latest. The authority of the Board of the club will be sustained until that time. The Board members will also stay on as Governors of Ajax PLC in this period.

Johan Cruijff, who was present at the meeting of the Members Council as honorary member, has been asked to give shape to the football-technical policy of Ajax. Cruijff has indicated that he is prepared to do so. Talks are ongoing about how he will do this.

I can not understand why they forced John to resign. :excited.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo feb 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I''ll save my 'serious' thoughts for later...

For now... I'M THRILLED!

Johan Cruijff and Marco van Basten taking Ajax by the hand... I'm very moved. I really am.

At least we won't have a lack of charisma.

K.
I understand totally Menno. What a sight it will be to see these two together on the sidelines. Look out the person who pisses them off - LOL

If we have Cruijff overlooking and van Basten on the field, there is a huge potential here. I know past players don't make great coaches - yadda-yadda-yadda. But if this works out as I hope, we have arguably Ajax's two favourite sons in charge. Their understanding of what Ajax is and should be is without question second to none.

Cruijff has already proved himself, and hopefully should cover any lack of knowledge that van Basten might have.

It gives me optimism and hope. Something I haven't really had with Ajax for sometime now.

Bring on 2008/2009 :onfire.gif:

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo feb 20, 2008 4:52 pm

If we do end up with Cruijff/van Basten in charge, which it's looking increasingly more like, I don't have much hope for next year and fear it will pretty much be like this year and last year. The reason I say this is that van Basten is going to be focused on Euro 2008 this summer, when Ajax really needs someone as soon as possible once this season is over.

It would be nice to have a coach who could use the summer to do things like build a squad, bring in new players and train everyone along with working out the tactical game. That could be a bit of an issue with the possibility of so many players leaving this summer. Although I do hope that with Cruijff/van Basten at Ajax, it will be an incentive to bring new players in and keep those that are already here.

If van Basten does take over, I can only imagine his summer preparation will be cut in half and we'll be lucky to start out the season well.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » wo feb 20, 2008 4:59 pm

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

if the players wont listen to those two, i give up

:ajaxscarf.gif:
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo feb 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Are we sure it's going to be Van Basten? I'd heard rumors that Marco might go to Barcelona and Rijkaard to Amsterdam.

I wouldn't mind Cruijff/Rijkaard. In fact, I think I'd prefer it to Cruijff/van Basten.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » wo feb 20, 2008 6:08 pm

bryan schreef:Van Basten has never managed a club in his life. The last two managers with no club management experience appointed were Jan Wouters and Danny Blind.
True, but the last two managers with no club management experience before that were Van Gaal and Cruijff. Those two started the second 'golden age'.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm

aveslacker schreef:Are we sure it's going to be Van Basten? I'd heard rumors that Marco might go to Barcelona and Rijkaard to Amsterdam.

I wouldn't mind Cruijff/Rijkaard. In fact, I think I'd prefer it to Cruijff/van Basten.

Good point. I think we are all jumping to the van Basten conclusion probably because he has been most strongly linked in the past, and especially now that Cruijff appears to be taking his role.

You are right, though. I believe as recently as last week (it's in the Bouwes column on ESPN) Cruijff suggested van Basten could take over for Rijkaard at Barca. It seems to be becoming more clear the Rijkaard will be gone at the end of the season. So, it looks like Cruijff will have a big influence on both coaching selections.

I really hope Cruijff concentrates on Ajax rather than Barca with this new role as I think he may be stretching things to try and please both so much. I think if it did come down to it, I would actually prefer Rijkaard in charge, but I still am optimistic no matter who takes over as head coach.

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » do feb 21, 2008 12:27 am

DanK schreef: I really don't give a rats if we don't play the 'ajax-way' for a while. Lets just start to build a strong squad that can compete in the league and europe.
I totally agree. 343, 433, 442, 352 / wings, no wings, 'playing defenders' and tough D midfielders or lack thereof - it's all the dog's bullocks when Ajax consistently fails to compete for the championship and looses European games to second tier teams through a lengthy period of time.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » do feb 21, 2008 12:40 am

And besides, nobody knows what the "Ajax way" is anyhow. My understanding is that it's whatever way a given hated manager isn't playing.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » do feb 21, 2008 1:13 am

bryan schreef:And besides, nobody knows what the "Ajax way" is anyhow. My understanding is that it's whatever way a given hated manager isn't playing.
That sounds about right.

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » do feb 21, 2008 1:37 am

Johan will lay the new foundation. The cycle between editions of Super-Ajax is 24 years:

1971-1995 - Cruyff as player; then, upon his return, as coach laying the foundation for the success ten years later. (A total overhaul of the club culture, with for instance goalies in all ALL Ajax teams playing way outside of the penalty box. )
1972-1996 - We played a 'home game' in the final against Inter. Juve had that advantage in 1996, and barely won on pk's.
1973-1997 - The magic was gone. Success gets old. One cup and one semi-final.

This brings us to ..... 2019. ;)
So Johan is right on track. For the third and final time.

Enjoy the journey.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do feb 21, 2008 9:20 am

aveslacker schreef:Are we sure it's going to be Van Basten? I'd heard rumors that Marco might go to Barcelona and Rijkaard to Amsterdam.

Not true. Cruijff pointed out that Van Basten could be a future coach of Barca. Van Basten himself said in the sportsprogramme: Holland Sport that clubs like AC Milan or Barca are not an option. He want's to start at Ajax. He didn't say literally that he was going to start at Ajax, but it will be a matter of time. The press thinks that Van Basten wil sign friday at Ajax.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do feb 21, 2008 10:30 am

GangstaRiB schreef:

Not true. Cruijff pointed out that Van Basten could be a future coach of Barca. Van Basten himself said in the sportsprogramme: Holland Sport that clubs like AC Milan or Barca are not an option. He want's to start at Ajax. He didn't say literally that he was going to start at Ajax, but it will be a matter of time. The press thinks that Van Basten wil sign friday at Ajax.
It was a shrewd piece of positioning to announce Cruijff's 'involvement' in the future running of the club, just before the van Basten announcement, given the doubts about MvB's coaching skills.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Plaats reactie