Former Ajax Players

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

aveslacker

Re: Former Ajax Players

Bericht door aveslacker » di mei 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:After a glorious career in Eindhoven PSV have decided to say goodbye to the great Andy van der Meyde.

Van der Meyde came very close to making a first team appearance on at least one occasion.

K.
It's kind of sad, this case. I wonder what happened to the guy. Maybe he left Ajax too early?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » za jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm

De Mul has just signed a contract with Standard Liege.
He was an option for our new right wing, but now it's too late.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo aug 01, 2010 6:55 pm

aveslacker schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:After a glorious career in Eindhoven PSV have decided to say goodbye to the great Andy van der Meyde.

Van der Meyde came very close to making a first team appearance on at least one occasion.

K.
It's kind of sad, this case. I wonder what happened to the guy. Maybe he left Ajax too early?
Andy is a bit of a mental case. I remember very well Adriaanse commenting on Andy's transfer to Inter. It was something like: "I was very surprised that Andy went to Italy. Andy had even troubles moving from Arnhem to Amsterdam."

He had one good season, that was under Koeman when Ajax reached the quarter finals CL in 2003.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » do aug 05, 2010 11:53 am

According to the dutch media, N. Mitea may sign a contract with NAC Breda.

Bertrand
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bertrand » zo aug 08, 2010 12:02 am

An article by Simon Kuper and Stéphane Régy in So Foot Magazine of August 2010.

Translation from the French courtesy of yours truly.

The last World Cup proved it: the world's greatest "small" football player is neither Messi, nor Xavi or Ribéry, but Wesley Sneijder.

Matchmaker and scorer, offensive midfielder and assist provider, Holland's midfielder might already have snatched 2010's "Ballon d'Or", much to the surprise of many football enthusiasts, but surely not his. Cause Wesley has always been Sneijder's biggest fan.

By Simon Kuper and Stéphane Régy for So Foot Magazine.

One day, as he's having breakfast with the rest of the Dutch national team, Wesley Sneijder calls out to Piet Velthuizen, Vitess Arnhem's goalkeeper.
"Hey, Piet, how much do you make?"
"400.000 euros" answers Velthuizen.

Pause.
Then Sneijder with the comeback:
"Dontcha think it's kind of funny that I make twenty times as much as you do?"
Even though Sneijder later stated that the exchange was merely a joke -which is possible, given modern footballers' sense of humor-, the episode is still quite enlightening: amidst that humongous ego clusterfuck that is the Dutch locker room, Wesley Sneijder is without any doubt the most in love with himself.
And this isn't anything new either. At age 19, seeing his coach relegate his name on the subs list got him in such a huff that when he finally got to see some pitch action and score a goal, he turned to the bench and gave his coach the finger. Not so subliminal message: don't mess with pure talent.

No one ever doubted the kid was gifted anyway. Even at Ajax Amsterdam, home of one of the world's most famous youth academies, his ability to play with both feet perfectly used to amaze everyone. As a teenager, as his friends were working on such basics like push passes, he was already delivering free-kicks on Nigel de Jong's head with his right and left foot, depending on his mood of the moment. Always perfect and surgical.
At age 18, he's already a frequent starter for the professional Amsterdam team. Three months later, he becomes an international for the Oranje.

In 2004, when Real Madrid is knocking on Ajax's door to get the kid for 27 million euros, he is not exactly awash with joy and excitement, but rather taking the news as something he had been deserving all along, a due.
Not really a surprise for someone self-described as an "intelligent anarchist". Why anarchist? Because Wesley likes it when he has total freedom on the pitch, short, long, one or two touches, deep or lateral, it's all good as long he's the one calling the shots. And why intelligent? Because the result is always matching his expectations. Beyond his achievements with the Oranje in South Africa, one had to remember his first game for Internazionale Milano on the 29th of August 2009. Six hours only after having landed in Malpenza to sign his contract, his jersey freshly slipped on, he humiliated AC Milan on his own pure talent. In the end, victory 4-0 against the historic rival and Gattuso's panties in a bunch after 30 minutes of an epic game of mouse and cat.

"Mourinho is my favourite coach ever because he understands what kind of player I am. He could have been my father".
As they say, takes an egomaniac to know one.

WESLEY, THE LOUD MOUTH

Truth be told, there is definitely a before and an after Mourinho in Sneijder's life. Before, it's the story of that annoying little spoiled wunderkind with an uncanny ability to make an enemy out of anyone crossing his path.
Mocked for his size -1.70m-, some Holland teammates call him "The Smurf", others "Sneijdertje" (which means "small Sneijder" and should be pronounced with disdain and scorn).
They all hate him with a passion, most notably Robin Van Persie, a player that Sneijder doesn't like either -when the two players are on the pitch, they squabble like snotty kids for the right to shoot free-kicks, and the former had nothing better to say when he got substituted during the game against Slovenia this summer that "Sneijder should have been the one being substituted, not me".
As a result, everyone was afraid for a long time that Sneijder would go the way of Clarence Seedorf, that is talented, a loud mouth and in the end getting sidelined from the national team for bad behaviour. Which almost happened on the 28th of March 2009 during a qualifier for the 2010 World Cup. Starting the game on the bench, to the benefit of... Robin Van Persie, Sneijder finally enters the pitch 20 minutes into the second half, moans and sulks, plays badly almost on purpose and rushes to the locker room as soon as the final whistly is blown, without the hint of a cheer for his teammates, in spite of a 3-0 victory. During the previous game, he had already confiscated all the free-kicks and a few months earlier during Euro 2008, he had asked no to stay at the same hotel than the rest of the team. At the time, observers are asking themselves the question: "Is Sneijder the pretentious too Dutch even for the Dutch"?

One thing is sure at this point in time: Real will not take it anymore. Enough of his selfishness and annoying tendency to take shots from about everywhere on the field. So when Florentino Perez became the new president of the Merengue, Sneijder was asked to pack his stuff and find himself a new club. Yet, Wesley Sneijder thought he would dodge the bullet. Convinced he was the greatest -after the goal he had scored against the archrival Atletico on his first game in Madrid- he had logically claimed the locker located between Kaká's and Cristiano Ronaldo's, the two new biggest recruits of the madridistas. He even went as far as telling Rafael Van der Vaart to find a club that would suit him better, read a less presitgious one.

So when the axe finally fell and saw Real Madrid keeping Van der Vaart while getting rid of him, it was quite the brutal wake-up call for Sneijder.

His comment: "What Xabi Alonso accomplishes on the pitch, I can do it too. Easily. And I'm not the only one to know it. Real Madrid is full of bad people".

YOLANDE AND THE SMS

Summer of 2009's soundtrack could have been the swan song of Sneijder's career. It is instead the stage of the most important evolution in his career so far.
As the player is busy calling Florentino Perez and Jorge Valdano "mafiosi" as soon as a mic is in voice range, José Mourinho is smelling blood.
Every day, for weeks, the Portuguese technician sends the Dutch player text messages to tell him how much he likes him.
Finally, Sneijder ends up signing for the Italian club and love becomes mutual. He likes everything about Mourinho: the way he sits at the back of the plane with the players like a mob boss, his aggressive pre-game talks and, of course, his unshakable self-confidence.
His best friends at Inter he says are "Balotelli, Stankovic and Materazzi", players not exactly known for their humility. With Milan, Sneijder won every single competition he entered past season (Italian Cup, Championship and Champions' League). In the meantime, Real was getting knocked out in the Spanish Cup by Alcorcón, a team playing in the Spanish Third Division, of the Champions' League as soon as in the 8ths of final and failed to claim the Liga against archrivals Barcelona. Wesley could have used the occasion to settle the score. But he had better fish to fry. Since December of 2009, the Dutch player has been engaged with Yolanthe Cabau van Kasbergen, an actress so beautiful that she decided not to take part in a recent national beauty pageant to give other participants a chance. To seduce her, Wesley Sneijder started sending her text messages. Once the deal was closed, he waited to be on a plane to propose to her using the pilot's mic. Wedding's supposed to take place on the 17th of July 2010. And the guests might have to watch all of the groom's goals during the World Cup during the toast.

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » zo aug 08, 2010 3:35 am

That was so funny. That's exactly what we need at Ajax in the present, players that just ooze confidence.
Godenzonen

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo aug 08, 2010 3:46 pm

The old-timers here know that Champions Magazine published a story about Ajax USA's annual trip to Amsterdam in 2006. Well, ever since then, I've received the magazine. (Apparently, I got a lifetime subscription or something.)

Anyway, this month's issue has the following article about Piet Keizer, titled "The Man Who Wasn't Cruyff" by Ernst Bouwes. There's also a touching little sidebar about Lawrence Adam, "inventor" of the scissor step-over, who played and died for Den Haag in the 20's and 30's...

(Sorry, there's apparently no online version available, and I haven't Bertrand's patience to type the whole thing out, so I scanned it and put it up on my Flickr site.)
Mark it 8, Dude.

Bertrand
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bertrand » zo aug 08, 2010 3:56 pm

heh, it's not patience man, it's just that the original article is in French and thus useless for 99% of the people hanging out on the forums. I didn't have much of a choice.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma aug 09, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for the reads Bertrand and Jim.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do aug 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Not sure how truth there is in this story but it was in last night's London Evening Standard and on the BBC site today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 929525.stm

Davids considers move to Crystal Palace.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

ofey
Contacteer:

Bericht door ofey » vr aug 20, 2010 1:43 am

I think if he had about 1/3 of his ability with us, it would be enough for him to do a job at Palace. I suspect in those tight midfield games, he could be one of 2 defensive midfielders who could shut the door for them.
AJACIED

WP_Legend

Bericht door WP_Legend » vr aug 20, 2010 4:22 pm

and the palace fans are going insane!

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.p ... 9&page=112

wahahha!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr aug 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr aug 20, 2010 6:12 pm

WP_LeGeNd schreef:and the palace fans are going insane!

wahahha!
They really are over the moon, aren't they?

How moving... :smallgrin.gif:

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr aug 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
WP_LeGeNd schreef:and the palace fans are going insane!

wahahha!
They really are over the moon, aren't they?

How moving... :smallgrin.gif:

K.
They have a thing about over-the-hill "big name" foreign signings. I have one friend whose dog is/was called Lombardo and another who's son has the same middle name :drecul.gif: From what I've read at least Davids won't bankrupt them which is more than I can say about last time they went star shopping...
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr aug 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Pantelic to Olympiakos. After Rommendahl and this if they can loan or buy Mickey, they could have a possible last years Ajax attack...
May the Force be with you

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr aug 20, 2010 10:10 pm

souras84 schreef:Pantelic to Olympiakos. After Rommendahl and this if they can loan or buy Mickey, they could have a possible last years Ajax attack...
Did he get the two year contract he wanted?
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr aug 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Orange14 schreef:
souras84 schreef:Pantelic to Olympiakos. After Rommendahl and this if they can loan or buy Mickey, they could have a possible last years Ajax attack...
Did he get the two year contract he wanted?
Yeah he did... :drecul.gif:
May the Force be with you

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo aug 22, 2010 10:46 am

Youssouf Hersi made his début for De Graafschap yesterday evening, in their Eredivisie game against FC Groningen. Which means that Hersi has now played for seven different Eredivisie clubs, which is a new record!

K.
Still alive...

ofey
Contacteer:

Bericht door ofey » vr aug 27, 2010 1:08 am

So apparently thinking this year's Champions League will bring Klas-Jan back to the Arena may not happen.

AC Milan's Galliani is apparently in Barcelona now trying to force a part exchange for Zlatan.
Mooting 30million Euros + the Hunter!

Regardless, an Ajacied will be back here to visit... . Clarence will probably play against us... .

What a sad waste of a career for Klas.
When he left us for Real, he was quite possibly the best striker in Europe!
Now he just gets shunted from club to club as make weight!

It puzzles me why players do this.
A bigger pay cheque in exchange for sitting on the bench? I thought in your limited span as a pro, not only do you want to make money but a name for yourself!?
No one considers him an Ex-Madrista. No one at Milan would consider him Van Basten quality. Now he's being shunted to Barca!?

Just come home Klas, it'd be better for you... . You wouldn't have spent the last 3 yrs sitting on your bum... . Simply NOT good enough!
AJACIED

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr aug 27, 2010 11:42 am

Schalke are looking at him . I do agree he has gone from being one of the best strikers to a makeweight since leaving us.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr aug 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Maybe he was never all that good to begin with. Sure, he can score goals in his sleep, but in every other facet of the game he is a liability. In order for him to do well he needs to have only one responsibility - score - and not have to do anything else. Or he has to play against inferior defenses like in the eredivisie. Also, he could be the kind of person (like Suarez) who works best when he is a big fish in a small pond.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Julius

Bericht door Julius » vr aug 27, 2010 5:23 pm

If Hunter's name was Inzaghi, he would be in Milan's first eleven for life. Maybe afterlife as well. :D.

ofey
Contacteer:

Bericht door ofey » ma aug 30, 2010 2:47 am

aveslacker schreef:Maybe he was never all that good to begin with. Sure, he can score goals in his sleep, but in every other facet of the game he is a liability. In order for him to do well he needs to have only one responsibility - score - and not have to do anything else. Or he has to play against inferior defenses like in the eredivisie. Also, he could be the kind of person (like Suarez) who works best when he is a big fish in a small pond.
Perhaps you're right.
So I wonder why he just doesn't return and dominate the eridivisie. Rather be a Champion in one league than warm the bench all year round... . Or am I missing the point about being a professional footballer.

Surely the salary we paid him before he left is more than enough for him to look after his family and retirement fund... .

Same thing with Rafael.

I'm not just reminicising about old heroes... . Both Klaas and Rafael coming back would benefit them as it would benefit us. We need to be able to hop out of the group stages of this Champions League. A QF berth would be a great way to make back some money. A huge draw there would see us get buckets!

I just can't imagine KjH and RVdV warming the bench for another season... . Especially Klaas playing 2nd fiddle to Zlatan, the man he replaced here... .
As far as I can see, only: Wesley, Nigel, Julian, Markus, Sonck, Chivu and Maxwell will get regular gigs with their teams.
AJACIED

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma aug 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Quite frankly at this point I don't think Klaas would start for us. Suarez and El Hamdaoui look like a real special partnership up front and KjH certainly can't play left wing. Obviously VdV -- who would start at virtually any team in the world -- could be of use to us, though.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Plaats reactie