General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 11, 2007 7:56 pm

They say its a small world.

I was at cricket today(a major domestic game) and a guy next to me said
Sunderland won . I replied I am not interested in Premier football the football love of my life is Ajax. He replied he too was a fan and had lived in Amsterdam during the seventies and went to De Meer regular in those days and the Olympic Stadium for Europe games.

We had a good chat and I told the name of this site . He said he would look us up.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di aug 14, 2007 3:58 am

Oh great!
http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/ind ... &cid=93522
Advocaat to coach Socceroos

I wonder if he will continue his policy of substituting an attacker for a crappy midfielder as was the case in Euro 2004?

I'm not sure if I am happy with the move, but will wait and see before I pass judgement.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di aug 14, 2007 9:19 am

From the superior, bon vivant coolness of Guus Hiddink to the frustration and paranoia of grumpy old Dick Advocaat...

Australia, I hate to tell you, but you are well and truly fucked. :smallgrin.gif:

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo aug 15, 2007 6:43 am

Kowalczyk schreef:From the superior, bon vivant coolness of Guus Hiddink to the frustration and paranoia of grumpy old Dick Advocaat...

Australia, I hate to tell you, but you are well and truly fucked. :smallgrin.gif:

K.
LMAO! I have this horrible feeling you might be right mate.

Everyone here is acting like its a brilliant move, and are shocked to learn that I think his coaching isn't up-to-scratch. I remember the backlash to him in Holland after Euro 2004.

There was talk of van Gaal, which I can't see happening - esp after he said he would only take on a national team that could actually win the WC. :drecul.gif: I think someone of his calibre would be perfect for the socceroos.

Happy for Dick to prove us wrong though.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo aug 15, 2007 9:17 am

Ah, I guess I'm being a bit too negative about the Dickster... His resumé isn't that terrible.

It's just that I really like eloquent, intelligent coaches who are totally superior, genuinely don't seem to care about what other people have to say, and don't even seem to know what stress is. I can't help myself, but I always notice that I look down upon coaches who are easily wound up by the media and things like that.

Every coach has to 'explode' every once in a while at the sideline, freaking out at a referee or something. That's all part of the game. But I like coaches who, apart from the odd moment of rage during games, come across as if they have nothing to prove.

That's why I like Guus Hiddink. You just can't touch him. That's why I like Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten (he's made his coaching mistakes, but I like the man). That's why I really liked Louis van Gaal in his Ajax days, but the Oranje disaster really changed him and he's become considerably more paranoid and frustrated.

This is also the reason why I will never be a real fan of Henk ten Cate. He's a good coach, I think he's done a good enough job at Ajax so far and I don't hope he will be fired or anything, but as a man he will never be my favourite. He's a 'street kid' with a tendency to prove and defend himself. My favourite type of coach radiates something like: "Why would I have to defend myself when there's no attack of any significance?"

Football journalists can ask very annoying questions, we all know that. I prefer the type of coach that will raise one eyebrow and then calmly answer the question (Van Basten, Cruyff). I find that more convincing than a coach who will explode and start a rant about 'the media' (Van Gaal, Advocaat).

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo aug 15, 2007 10:24 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Ah, I guess I'm being a bit too negative about the Dickster... His resumé isn't that terrible.

It's just that I really like eloquent, intelligent coaches who are totally superior, genuinely don't seem to care about what other people have to say, and don't even seem to know what stress is. I can't help myself, but I always notice that I look down upon coaches who are easily wound up by the media and things like that.

Every coach has to 'explode' every once in a while at the sideline, freaking out at a referee or something. That's all part of the game. But I like coaches who, apart from the odd moment of rage during games, come across as if they have nothing to prove.

That's why I like Guus Hiddink. You just can't touch him. That's why I like Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten (he's made his coaching mistakes, but I like the man). That's why I really liked Louis van Gaal in his Ajax days, but the Oranje disaster really changed him and he's become considerably more paranoid and frustrated.

This is also the reason why I will never be a real fan of Henk ten Cate. He's a good coach, I think he's done a good enough job at Ajax so far and I don't hope he will be fired or anything, but as a man he will never be my favourite. He's a 'street kid' with a tendency to prove and defend himself. My favourite type of coach radiates something like: "Why would I have to defend myself when there's no attack of any significance?"

Football journalists can ask very annoying questions, we all know that. I prefer the type of coach that will raise one eyebrow and then calmly answer the question (Van Basten, Cruyff). I find that more convincing than a coach who will explode and start a rant about 'the media' (Van Gaal, Advocaat).

K.
That's a really intersting post Ko.
Reading I realise I too preffer the kind of self-confident coach who treats the whole media circus with complete disdain, rather that the kind of insecure guy who's desperate to justify himself.

In between some "normal" touchline and dressing room rants in this compilation, there's the classic Keegan rant from which I don't think he ever recovered as a coach:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSeCCHmw ... ed&search=

As for Tricky Dicky, he's not incompeted, it's that he spends his life second guessing himself. the net result is safe, consistent, mediocrity. He'll not embarass you, but you'll never excell.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do aug 16, 2007 8:12 am

Manneken Pis schreef:
In between some "normal" touchline and dressing room rants in this compilation, there's the classic Keegan rant from which I don't think he ever recovered as a coach:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSeCCHmw ... ed&search=

As for Tricky Dicky, he's not incompeted, it's that he spends his life second guessing himself. the net result is safe, consistent, mediocrity. He'll not embarass you, but you'll never excell.
A-ha, always good to see this one get an airing :ajaxsmiley.gif: . I've not watched the clip but I think we all know Mr Keegan of the oversized headphones in this one.

I don't know if Ferguson does run a correspondance course or whatever in Machiavelian mind games but if he does then this clip is sure to feature :1evil.gif:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma aug 20, 2007 10:23 pm

My other team Blackpool have just taken a trial from a F-word player Pieter Collen, from Belgium. I'm not sure what to make of it when the two quite seperate parts of my football world collide like this but if he's any good then we'll have him - anyone know anything about him?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 954840.stm

BTW, Ko, the mighty Blackpool play in Tangerine, not Oranje :1evil.gif: :hypocrite.gif:

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » wo aug 29, 2007 8:36 am

yeasterday afternoon in hospital died Sevilla player Puerta (Antonio Puerta Perez). he had heart attack during the match against Getafe. ewerything looked not bad, when he recovered and walked from the pitch, but in dressing room he had another heart attack and was taken to the hospital. he was just 22 and next month would become a father..

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » wo aug 29, 2007 9:11 am

unbelievable sadness.
three things of this crazy story made me wonder:

1) he had similar heart-problems, althoug lighter, in the past: how the fuck he was judged fit to play? (remember the kanu-case or the fadiga-one in italy?)
2) after the first recover on the pitch, he went out on his legs and seemed that the worst was behind. no one could have thought that they were the last images we have of him.
3) they say that after the match he had not one, but NINE heart attacks. just terriible.

may he rest in peace forever
Laatst gewijzigd door orange goblin op wo aug 29, 2007 10:35 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
O tempora o mores

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » wo aug 29, 2007 9:43 am

RIP, and lots of respect for Seville.
Get a Cock

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Sometimes it's just your time to go. Jim Fixx, who started the jogging boom in the U.S. died of a heart attack at age 52, after jogging.

My condolences to Puerta's family and teammates.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo aug 29, 2007 3:21 pm

Always very shocking when a very young lad, with a healthy athlete's lifestyle, dies so suddenly... 22 years old. Would have become a father next month. It's terrible.

If you live a healthy life, your life is more likely to be long.

If you live an unhealthy life, your life is more likely to be relatively short.

But these are averages. There's always exceptions. Death will take people away sometimes, seemingly randomly, and you just can't understand why. There isn't always a reason, or even an explanation. And sometimes this will be a footballer: David Di Tommaso and now Puerta.

Very sad. My sympathy goes out to his family, his friends and the people of Sevilla FC: officials, team-mates and supporters.

K.
Still alive...

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo aug 29, 2007 3:46 pm

Kowalczyk said:
If you live a healthy life, your life is more likely to be long.

If you live an unhealthy life, your life is more likely to be relatively short

Actually it is the exact opposite....Ive come across many people approaching their hundreds...who have had numerous heart attacks....take many pills....and have outlived many healthy people.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo aug 29, 2007 4:12 pm

Small sample size, man. Ko is correct, and there's tons of scientific evidence to back it up. :onfire.gif:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo aug 29, 2007 4:35 pm

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and ill (Snoopy).
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do aug 30, 2007 7:16 am

aveslacker schreef:Small sample size, man. Ko is correct, and there's tons of scientific evidence to back it up. :onfire.gif:
I'm sure you're both right. That's why the Guardian yesterday had a picture of a lady celebrating her 100th birthday with a cake. She was lighting up from one of the candles - a smoker since the age of 8 but it's because that doesn't make sense that they printed the photo.

Anyway, terribly sad about Puerta. There was a game (Nottm Forest v Leicester City) called off in England on Monday night after a player collapsed in the dressing room at half time. I hope he's OK as two deaths in one football weekend would be an absolute tragedy.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr aug 31, 2007 8:56 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:Anyway, terribly sad about Puerta. There was a game (Nottm Forest v Leicester City) called off in England on Monday night after a player collapsed in the dressing room at half time. I hope he's OK as two deaths in one football weekend would be an absolute tragedy.
There was a death in Africa too this week... again heart attack.
Call me cynical, but I do wonder what modern footballers are swallowing or injecting these days.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr aug 31, 2007 9:12 am

Voetball International says (if I understand the article) Platini wants to reduce the number of teams in Champs league from the "sub toppers"... net net result the Eredivisie will have only one team as of 2009 unless they dramatically improve their performance and therefore their "coeficient" (plus chance of second team through a play off for the domestic cup winners of the top 16 countries for 4 extra places).

Good news: Kills the stupid Eredivisie play-offs
Bad News: Less income for Dutch football widening the gap witht the big leagues
Other news: Clever from Platini greater access to CL for small leagues means more votes in future elections
Other other news: CL final moved to Saturday evening from wednesday ("so more women and children can attend").

Please let me know if i misread any of it.....

Article:

http://www.vi.nl/NieuwsItem/NederlandLe ... waarIn.htm

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr aug 31, 2007 9:42 am

I think you can find everything in English on UEFA.com

I think you're more or less right anyway...
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » zo sep 02, 2007 2:14 am

Martin Jol already had pressure on him before today (strangely and ridiculously) and there have been media rumblings that he's on the verge of getting the boot from Tottenham (again, strangely and ridiculously). Today, Tottenham blew a 3-1 lead to Fulham in the last 15 minutes, settling for a 3-3 draw. I imagine the suits in the boardroom at Tottenham might be sharpening their knives even more furiously tonight. A couple more weak results for them, coupled with a couple below par results for Ajax (fingers crossed it doesn't happen, of course) after the obvious failure against Slavia Prague... and could we potentially be seeing a scenario of Jol replacing HTC at Ajax in the near future?
Portland Timbers FC - AFC Ajax - Southampton FC

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo sep 02, 2007 2:56 am

AjaxPDX schreef:A couple more weak results for them, coupled with a couple below par results for Ajax (fingers crossed it doesn't happen, of course) after the obvious failure against Slavia Prague... and could we potentially be seeing a scenario of Jol replacing HTC at Ajax in the near future?
Well, if he fails utterly at Tottenham then maybe he's not that good after all...
meh :|

kraz11
Contacteer:

Bericht door kraz11 » zo sep 02, 2007 9:17 am

Manneken Pis schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:Anyway, terribly sad about Puerta. There was a game (Nottm Forest v Leicester City) called off in England on Monday night after a player collapsed in the dressing room at half time. I hope he's OK as two deaths in one football weekend would be an absolute tragedy.
There was a death in Africa too this week... again heart attack.
Call me cynical, but I do wonder what modern footballers are swallowing or injecting these days.
I think you meant in Israel , it happened to an african guy.
new player that came to play for beer-sheva.
just saw him scoring twice on the previous friday :( .
R.i.p Puerta and chasawa.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo sep 02, 2007 3:09 pm

My Sunday paper , Express, says Spurs are lining up Koeman and Jol will come to us.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo sep 02, 2007 3:21 pm

SPL schreef:My Sunday paper , Express, says Spurs are lining up Koeman and Jol will come to us.
Not sure the Express is all that reliable.

I wouldn't be totally against that though. I don't classify Spurs last two years as a failure really (and this season is far too early to judge - including us IMO). Spurs hadn't quailified for Europe for years til recently and having ManUtd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in the same league doesn't exactly make 5th a easy/especially poor finish. I don't know what the compared budgets/income is but I expect Tottenham's is a lot less than the other four.

Plaats reactie