New Players for Ajax

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di jul 22, 2008 6:43 pm

I agree about the spending levels, but Rodney Sneijder, Darko Bodul, and Daley Blind, to name a few, don't appear quite ready for prime time . Jan Vertonghen, Gregory van der Wiel , and Siem de Jong are at prime time, but are still developing. Thomas Vermaelen's been around since, I believe, about 2004 and is fairly consistent. Urby Emanuelson is maddeningly inconsistent . Maarten Stekelenberg is probably for Ajax one or two years at most before he moves on. Alot of in house potential, but not proven in house Eredivisie winning quality. Certainly not enough to win titles in the here and now without the spending. I say again, what is a club with aspirations of league and cup glory to do without spending the coin of the realm ?
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo jul 23, 2008 8:48 am

gordonvandekamp Posted:
I would still like to see one more defensive signing as well, but feel much more optimistic about the upcoming season so far.

I don't think I've seen it here, but according to Barca's official site, Henrique is being loaned out to Bayer Leverkuesen. I'd prefer a signing over a loanee anyways.

The Voetbal International says in an "exclusive" that Ajax want to sign Wileart from Twente.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » wo jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm

AISSATI ARRIVAL SURPRISES PEREZ

Ajax midfielder Kenneth Perez admits he was surprised by the acquisition of Ismail Aissati from PSV Eindhoven.

The 19-year-old Aissati penned a four-year contract at the Amsterdam ArenA on Monday morning and has been handed the number 11 shirt by new coach Marco van Basten, with 33-year-old Dane Perez given the number 21.

"That is not a very promising number," Perez told AD Sportwereld.

"I thought Ajax was looking for defenders. Ajax now have a lot of attacking midfielders."

Perez is prepared to battle for his place in the team, though, and hopes his versatility will aid his cause.

"I don't know what the coach wants with me," he said. "That will become clear in the coming weeks. I focus on the position behind the central striker, but I can of course also play on the left."

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo jul 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Uh-oh. Does this mean another appearance by Kenneth Perez's pouty evil twin is in the offing ? Seriously , given Ajax's injury history, I don't think number 21 , even 33 year old number 21 , should be fretting just yet.

Danny Blind note to self: Notify Kenneth Perez before pulling trigger on future attacking mf acquisitions.

Can Perez be serious? How long has he been playing football? Addition and subtraction of players is as old as the game.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo jul 23, 2008 9:17 pm

The transfer song and dance routine has started again. The Twente chairman , according to a report on Ajax Netwerk, has indicated Wielaert is not for sale. In my demented mind, this means that Ajax didn't wow said Voorzitter with their first offer.

Next tune in this opera if you please maestro :frank.gif: :frank.gif:
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jul 29, 2008 10:15 am

Okay, so Ajax are trying to land Rob Wielaert of FC Twente. I hope this will work out, but if not, one of the reserve options would be Glenn Loovens, an ex-Feyenoord man, now playing for Cardiff City. Read this piece in The Herald. How ironic: he'll play against Ajax in friendly on Friday...

I don't know... This is just my gut feeling (as I never followed Loovens), but wouldn't this be a 'Colin-type signing'...?

Anyway: according to an article on the website of Sportweek magazine Ajax are also following Per Ciljan Skjelbred, 21 year-old midfielder of Rosenborg BK. Everyone involved admits that this is very premature and that there has been no official contact whatsoever. I'm just sharing.

K.
Still alive...

jamieem

Bericht door jamieem » di jul 29, 2008 10:22 am

You're right, it's Colin all over again. Loovens is a decent defender for the championship, but he's not Ajax quality, by any means...

Skjelbred is also linked with Newcastle and Blackburn, but the coaching at those clubs is way below what a young player could get at Ajax. Money or development? Must be hard for a young footballer with pound signs in their eyes...
pour le monde, pas pour la guerre

Pablo.V

Bericht door Pablo.V » di jul 29, 2008 10:33 am

What about Socratis Papastathopoulos from AEK athens?
We were interested in him before, he is regarded as one of the best
talents in greece. He is a central defender and not to expensive(4M tops).

jamieem

Bericht door jamieem » di jul 29, 2008 10:50 am

Can we just get him to call himself 'Papa' like a Brazilian player?

In my ignorance of Greek/ Cypriot pronounciation that would make life much easier.

Am probably being blind here, but I can't see him on the AEK Athens wiki page?
Laatst gewijzigd door jamieem op di jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
pour le monde, pas pour la guerre

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jul 29, 2008 11:29 am

Loovens is wanted by Glasgow Rangers and Fulham so is better than Colin but Cardiff want 3m euros! Not happy that we are looking at championship players still.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Papastathopoulos ? If we did get him, that's one shirt I'm not getting. I'd be broke after the Fan Shop puts the letters on.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ozzerdibazio
Contacteer:

Bericht door ozzerdibazio » di jul 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Loovens is better than Colin, but still - like what's been said above, we can do much better.

Hope we don't waste time on this guy, and if we don't get Wielaert or whoever I hope we don't snap sign him, as I'd rather wait and get somebody better than have another Kuffour type situation, or worse another Colin type sit......

Does anybody know what happened about Jonathan Maidana? Lost interest?

Michael_B

Bericht door Michael_B » di jul 29, 2008 3:38 pm

There never was an interest according to Thomas on this forum. Just name-dropping.
Face your fears and live your dreams, No Fear

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » do jul 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Ajax Focus On Wielaert

Dutch giants Ajax are focussing on Twente defender Robbie Wielaert in their search for an extra defender. Wielaert will be the second defensive signing for Ajax after Oleguer.
Ajax manager Marco van Basten isn’t yet finished with the transfer market. The Dutch Eredivisie side have already secured the services of Dario Cvitanich, Miralem Sulejmani, Ismail Aissati and Oleguer Presas. Now Van Basten wants to add an extra defender to his squad.

Primary candidate is Twente defender Robbie Wielaert. Twente already rejected an offer from the Amsterdam side, but this didn’t stop Ajax from inviting the strong defender for a meeting about his future.

The 29-year-old defender is reportedly interested in a move to the Dutch giants. Ajax and Wielaert have an appointment to discuss a possible move today. This implies that Twente gave both parties permission to discuss a deal, as according to FIFA rules players are only allowed to talk with other teams with the permission of their current team.

Ajax saw an offer of two million euros rejected, but are confident of completing the deal.

However, Twente chairman Joop Munsterman is only willing to sell if Twente can sign a decent replacement with the money they receive for Wielaert.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 05, 2008 4:33 am

Ajax Netwerk are running an Algemeen Dagblad item regarding the Wielaert saga. Money and a player, is that right?
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di aug 05, 2008 7:03 am

Blind3 schreef:Ajax Netwerk are running an Algemeen Dagblad item regarding the Wielaert saga. Money and a player, is that right?
Yeah. Ajax's last bid was reportedly 2 million, but Twente demand 6 million (which is a bit outrageous, to be honest). That's why Ajax want to include a player in the deal. Twente would like to land Siem de Jong, but that seems very unlikely, as he was never named as one of the players who may drop out of the squad.

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di aug 05, 2008 11:10 am

Typical, we have about 12 players on the list to leave but Twente fancy one of our young talents.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di aug 05, 2008 3:19 pm

Yeah, I can't see us giving up de Jong. He was really about the only breakthrough youth player last year, he was seeing significant minutes during the end of the year. I'm not sure why (and I could be wrong) we have been focusing so much on Wielart with Twente so reluctant to let him go easily.

There surely are other defenders of similar quality in the Eredivisie we could, and possibly should be going after, at this point in the case this falls through, which looks more likely considering Twente's demands.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo aug 10, 2008 11:48 am

This story is still going. Talk still of de Jong wanted in the deal. I cannot see us letting him go but I assume it would be on loan. After all he has a contract for about 5 years and we would value him at more than Wielart . After 2 years in Twente they would be selling him for a big profit.Do not think Ajax have that in mind.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo aug 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Just thinking about our midfield if we let Siem go.

We only have Aissati Gabri Lindgren . Urby at Peking, Sarpong Donald VdHeijden all injured.Anita is more defender than midfield.

We could end up having to buy another midfielder which would not make any sense.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo aug 10, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm 100% convinced that Ajax will not let Siem de Jong go. I think it's a non-issue.

K.
Still alive...

Jeroen126

Bericht door Jeroen126 » zo aug 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Im guessing you didn't see the pre match interview with Van Basten yesterday, Ko. In football, everything except 'no, now fuck off' means 'yes, that could happen'.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo aug 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Weaken our mf to strengthen our defense. I'll wait until the smoke clears at the end of this month, but , on the face of it, letting Siem de Jong go would be really idiotic.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Jeroen126

Bericht door Jeroen126 » zo aug 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Ofcourse it would, although a one year loan deal wouldn't hurt either side.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

According to his agent Wielaert is not coming.

PS With Donald out for season if we let Siem go we would definately have to buy another midfielder.Thus this is all a non starter.

Time for Ajax to look for another defender.

Plaats reactie