General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr dec 05, 2008 2:50 am

I hope Ajax go for broke on the 17th. I don't believe Villa or Hamburg will do any different.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr dec 05, 2008 1:13 pm

jackson schreef:We got their A team. Zilnia got the reserves.
we sucked ass bro...plain and simple...we should have at least tied that game but we were sleepwalking....good thing we woke up against Hamburg :hupajax.gif:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr dec 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Hadn't seen the lineup from yesterday until now. That makes a little more sense. :drecul.gif:
AFCA

jackson

Bericht door jackson » vr dec 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Venezuelan Ajacied schreef:
we sucked ass bro...plain and simple...we should have at least tied that game but we were sleepwalking....good thing we woke up against Hamburg :hupajax.gif:

We hardly sucked ass. We controlled the ball and the field for large parts of the game on the road against a top 5 English squad. It wasnt the greatest game of the year, but we definintely did not suck ass against Villa.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di dec 09, 2008 11:00 am

I wanted to post something here about a book I bought a while ago, but I never did... Oh well, it's never too late.

A few months ago I bought a (Dutch language) book named Het Stadioncomplex (literally 'The Stadium Complex') by a bloke named Ferry Reurink. It's pretty much an encylcopedia of all (and I repeat: all) grounds where professional football was played in The Netherlands.

It is superbly researched, very well written and has loads of pictures: old ones, new ones, maps that indicate the location of the grounds (many of them are no longer there).

Absolutely love it. Again: it's in Dutch (and it's got quite a lot of text), but this is one of those encyclopedia-type books that are just nice to thumb through, even if it was in Chinese.

If you're interested: you can order it here or here, or in a physical bookstore here in Holland.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di dec 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I wanted to post something here about a book I bought a while ago, but I never did... Oh well, it's never too late.

A few months ago I bought a (Dutch language) book named Het Stadioncomplex (literally 'The Stadium Complex') by a bloke named Ferry Reurink. It's pretty much an encylcopedia of all (and I repeat: all) grounds where professional football was played in The Netherlands.

It is superbly researched, very well written and has loads of pictures: old ones, new ones, maps that indicate the location of the grounds (many of them are no longer there).

Absolutely love it. Again: it's in Dutch (and it's got quite a lot of text), but this is one of those encyclopedia-type books that are just nice to thumb through, even if it was in Chinese.

If you're interested: you can order it here or here, or in a physical bookstore here in Holland.

K.
Cheers Ko, that looks like an intersting book. They do a few similar books about grounds here in the UK which I've and also an excellent bi-lingual one about Czech grounds which I got in Prague a few years back.

I assume the postage on this is huge so I'll probably leave it till I'm over next to have a look.

Tlking of huge books on Dutch football though, has anyone else got "50 Jaar Betald Voetbal De Complete Geshiedenis" written by Matty Verkamman and Frans v.d. Nieuwenhof and published by VI? No reason for asking really but again it's a really great book listing all the profesional teams, even the defunct one's from the Netherlands. I got it in Amsterdam a few years back so no real reason for asking, again I've been thinking of doing so for ages, it's just a really great book, full of great pictures even with my rather limited Dutch vocabulary.

It's another possible Christmas present though but I'd suggest waiting until the NL trip to get one as the postage abroad would be huge.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di dec 09, 2008 10:49 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Tlking of huge books on Dutch football though, has anyone else got "50 Jaar Betald Voetbal De Complete Geshiedenis" written by Matty Verkamman and Frans v.d. Nieuwenhof and published by VI?
Yes Sir, I got it. Great book indeed!

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di dec 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Thank you for the great book ideas. As long as the pictures are in english, any and all football book ideas are welcome !
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » wo dec 10, 2008 4:02 am

Speaking of books (and please forgive me if this topic has already been beaten to death--I'm a relative newcomer), what do y'all think of David Winner's Brilliant Orange? I read the original edition several years ago and absolutely loved it :biggthumpup.gif:, but recently reread an updated (paperback) edition and was less overwhelmed by some of the new material. Still think it's one of the most creative and wittiest books on football I've ever read, though.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » wo dec 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Great Fanzine type book is by Robert Banks called "Irrational Hatred of Luton". It really is a great read and laugh - well recommended even if you aren't a spanner fan

T'other great fanzine type read is Playing At Home by John Aizlewood who attempts to visit all 92 league clubs in a season and rates each one by their pies :drecul.gif:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
T'other great fanzine type read is Playing At Home by John Aizlewood who attempts to visit all 92 league clubs in a season and rates each one by their pies :drecul.gif:
Not seen that but I've just bought a similar one on Ebay called "Hunting Grounds" by Gary Sutherland - same concept except with Scottish grounds. I've not read it yet but it has got some good write-ups.

If anyone wants a good Ajax book btw (apart from the yearbooks or 'Het Ajax Book') I can recommend "We re the Champions" which has a match report and pictures on every European fixture they've ever played. It's been out a few years so not bang up to date but an excellent book all the same and all the pictures/squads/match statistics/programme covers etc are in English which is even better :smallgrin.gif:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo dec 10, 2008 4:41 pm

I discovered this fantastic website years ago:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/

It has a profile of every league ground in England and Scotland. The guy who does the website, Duncan Adams, also published the profiles as books: one about England, one about Scotland. I ordered both. Wonderful stuff, by a true football fan.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo dec 10, 2008 5:16 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I discovered this fantastic website years ago:

It has a profile of every league ground in England and Scotland. The guy who does the website, Duncan Adams, also published the profiles as books: one about England, one about Scotland. I ordered both. Wonderful stuff, by a true football fan.

K.
That's a great site yes and for anyone interested there's http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/ which covers the non-league season.

There's a whole lot of football outside of the main league set-up here, certainly most of my footie fixes at the moment come coutesy of the Blue Square South or Premier (level 6 or 5) right now.

If I've got anyone interested I can recommend http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/index.php or http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/ for news from outside the PL and League. Personally I prefer the latter and I buy it every week.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Seeing as we were talking about stadium guides earlier on I thought I'd contribute another 3 weblinks. Two of these are German and the Dutch one is by a PSV Eindhoven fan but we shouldn't let that put us off - some great pictures/info on all three.

http://www.groundhopping.de/

http://members.lycos.nl/soccertour/index.htm

http://www.fussballtempel.net/main.html

Rooie

Bericht door Rooie » do dec 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Whose brother was attending the training this morning :drecul.gif:?

Afbeelding

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do dec 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Benji schreef:Whose brother was attending the training this morning :drecul.gif:?

Afbeelding
Did he dive...?

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr dec 12, 2008 8:02 am

This would certainly make things a bit more interesting and give us something else to talk about.

Argentines use 'free-kick' spray

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7776602.stm

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr dec 12, 2008 8:58 am

Kowalczyk schreef:I discovered this fantastic website years ago:

K.
Fantastic indeed. Here's one of my favorite excerpts, from the aptly named Nigel Cockram, a visiting Bristol Rovers fan, commenting on a local pub near the Wycombe Wanderers' ground:
There is a great pub, (but only for the lads) called the White Horse, at 95 West Wycombe Road, which is the A40, about 1 & 1/2 miles from the ground. It opens at 12.00 on Saturdays, has one real ale, BUT has gorgeous strippers from 12.30. Entry is free, but each girl does a collection after each act. I thoroughly recommend this pub...
:headbang.gif:
Mark it 8, Dude.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr dec 12, 2008 9:42 am

When is their next home game?

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do dec 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Sometimes even the EPL's resident rednosed windbag ,SAF , says something amusing. Today, after the story of a secret Real deal for Christiano Ronaldo popped up in the papers, Sky Sports reported that such talk was rubbished by ManUre ; with SAF quoted as saying " Jesus Christ, do you think I'd go into negotiations with that mob ? ( no one at press conference says a word) Exactly. I wouldn't sell them a virus " . :drecul.gif:
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » za dec 20, 2008 11:24 pm

We'll be spending the Xmas holiday with my in-laws in Colorado, and I expect I'll be "off the grid" until we return. So I just wanted to wish everyone here a happy holiday :xmas.gif: and say thanks for sharing the depth and breadth of your knowledge about Ajax, and also for the prevailing tone of general civility and respect for differing opinions. I really enjoy reading and learning from all of you.

And, finally, can we please end this year on a high note by beating the crap out of De Graafschap and ADO??? :hupajax.gif:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo dec 21, 2008 1:29 am

Mako, Happy Holiday to you and yours !! HUP AJAX !!! :ajaxscarf.gif:
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo jan 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Goal.com has posted an article listing the best 25 prospects in Holland.

No one on this site will be surprised that we have 7 on the list, Fword and AZ 4 and PSV only 3.

I am no good at transferring articles etc. Suarez was no 1 and Sulejmani and Vertonghen all near the top. Aissati, Urby Vermeer and Van der Wiel the others.Someone posted that Vermaelen Sarpong and Siem de Jong
should all be there.

It is only the thoughts of a jouro who lives in Holland but all it shows is we
have the most talent in the country. Moisander of Az is in the list and he was in our youth system.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Immediately after sacking Scolari, Chelsea owner Abramovich gave his good mate Guus Hiddink a ring, according to NOS Teletekst. Abramovich wants the boss of the Russian national team to help Chelsea out. Hiddink is quoted on NOS Teletekst saying: "This is an extraordinary situation. I would have said 'no' to any other club, but I have a very good relationship with the owner of Chelsea. I'd like to help, if I can."

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr feb 13, 2009 8:34 pm

so much red wine mis-typed nonsense!
Laatst gewijzigd door SE6Ajacied op za feb 14, 2009 10:04 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Plaats reactie