General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SE6Ajacied

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jun 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
Manneken Pis schreef:I see Ruud Gullit is going to take over Terek Grozny from Chechnia in the Russian league.

:drecul.gif:

Anybody want to take a bet on how long this will last before it ends in tears....

My vote is 4 months...
Since I wrote this on 20th January, and it's now 14th June, he lasted three weeks longer than forecasted.....

:smallgrin.gif:
You beat me to it but apparently he;s not quite gone yet. Surprisingly (oh such a surprise :hypocrite.gif: ) they say that he seems to like the "bars and disco's" a little too much :smallgrin.gif:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13762720
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
Manneken Pis schreef:
Manneken Pis schreef:I see Ruud Gullit is going to take over Terek Grozny from Chechnia in the Russian league.

:drecul.gif:

Anybody want to take a bet on how long this will last before it ends in tears....

My vote is 4 months...
Since I wrote this on 20th January, and it's now 14th June, he lasted three weeks longer than forecasted.....

:smallgrin.gif:
You beat me to it but apparently he;s not quite gone yet. Surprisingly (oh such a surprise :hypocrite.gif: ) they say that he seems to like the "bars and disco's" a little too much :smallgrin.gif:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13762720

OK lol, I posted that about 4 hours ago....http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13769663.stm

Fairly predicatable stuff anyway.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » di jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Not a clue where to post this :confused.gif:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1659/south- ... town-coach

But, confused me at first (reading the headline) lol.. :biggrin.gif: :drecul.gif:

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo jun 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Funniest story of the day (and maybe the month/year): http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... es?cc=5901
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » wo jun 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Don't know where to post this since it concerns ajax and is not general. However, our calendar for next years eredivise looks horrrible!! I know wehave to beat them all to be crown champions but we have to play: psv, twente, groningen, az, and fword from september to october in what looks like a proof of worth. Don't like it that much but whatever.
Godenzonen

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jul 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Really interesting column on U-17 football and age grouping: http://11tegen11.wordpress.com/2011/07/ ... eneration/
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » di jul 05, 2011 3:46 am

Anyone else watched the Chile game? They are an Ajax incarnate man, so good to watch. I think even Mr van Gaal would be impressed with their 3 man defence. I have been a fan since I saw them play under Bielsa before the world cup, because they reminded me of the van Gaal Ajax.

We should definitely be looking at their next generation if they play like this, back to back toulon winners 2009 & 2010.
T.I.P.S.= Technique, insight, personality and speed, this is the Ajax way.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jul 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Flipster81 schreef:Anyone else watched the Chile game? They are an Ajax incarnate man, so good to watch. I think even Mr van Gaal would be impressed with their 3 man defence. I have been a fan since I saw them play under Bielsa before the world cup, because they reminded me of the van Gaal Ajax.

We should definitely be looking at their next generation if they play like this, back to back toulon winners 2009 & 2010.
The Chile/Mexico match, correct? I watched it last evening. They are really fast and seem to have a warp driver right out of Star Trek when they get the ball. I didn't think that Mexico could hold them off even as they tried to bunker down with the fluke one goal lead. They played like this last summer at the WC. Only problem is they are suspect defensively and also seem to lack a clinical finisher. It will be interesting to see how they do as the tournament progresses.

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » di jul 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah, I watched them through qualifying and their World Cup games, they do play a super fast possession and pressing game.

It's a pity they don't have a quality finisher, but I'm going to be supporting them and Uruguay this Copa America.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jul 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Flipster81 schreef: It's a pity they don't have a quality finisher, but I'm going to be supporting them and Uruguay this Copa America.
It's interesting in that Chile have an Argentine as manager and he's created something special. On the other hand, Argentina who have many more quality players cannot play a decent game of football. Curious indeed.

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » di jul 05, 2011 5:31 pm

If my memory serves me correctly Bielsa tried this with Argentina but their players couldn't cope with the physical demands of the system and a lot of them moaned about being played 'out of position'.

Now that Borghi has taken over he has cleverly kept Bielsa's tactics and ran with it. Borghi has also kept the youth teams playing the same way.

ofey
Contacteer:

Bericht door ofey » vr jul 08, 2011 6:33 am

Flipster81 schreef:Anyone else watched the Chile game? They are an Ajax incarnate man, so good to watch. I think even Mr van Gaal would be impressed with their 3 man defence. I have been a fan since I saw them play under Bielsa before the world cup, because they reminded me of the van Gaal Ajax.
Your statement made me go hunt down a torrent to watch them.
Like wow. Put them 11 in an ajax kit and it would have looked right.

Brings me back to a point I made in another thread.

If Toby == Jan.
Perhaps we could pull off a 3-2-2-3 with both Jan and Vurnon anchoring the midfield.
A 3 man defence would be ideal for our pressing/possession game. Problem has always been the staff we have don't allow for that.
Even then, I still have no place for Siem which is worrying.
AJACIED

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » vr jul 08, 2011 8:01 am

ofey schreef:
Your statement made me go hunt down a torrent to watch them.
Like wow. Put them 11 in an ajax kit and it would have looked right.

Brings me back to a point I made in another thread.

If Toby == Jan.
Perhaps we could pull off a 3-2-2-3 with both Jan and Vurnon anchoring the midfield.
A 3 man defence would be ideal for our pressing/possession game. Problem has always been the staff we have don't allow for that.
Even then, I still have no place for Siem which is worrying.

Theres nothing worrying about having a good enough squad to keep a decent player out :biggthumpup.gif:

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » vr jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm

If our squad is good enough that de Jong has to fight for his place that's a good thing. Also for anyone interested, my pick for game of the tournament in the Copa America tonight. Uruguay vs Chile live on YouTube 10:15pm GMT

Get to see the fantastic Chileans against Suarez and his buddies.

My prediction Chile- 2 (Suazo, Sanchez) Uruguay- 2 (Suarez, Caceres).

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » vr jul 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Wow very specific prediction. The tournament has really lacked any flair and very few goals have been scored, with onl Chile gathering a win against an 11 man opponent. I was happy to see my colombian boys, with our Porto armed arsenal, pretty much ridicule Argentina on the field. But its alarming that despite having a central forward like Falcao who can score 15 times in the Europa League, we were so poor shooting on target, although Az's Romero was also to blame for us not beating Argentina. So anyway, hope Chile and uruguay really set it alight tonight and score as many goals as you predicter Flipster, the tournament's reputation is in dire need of it.
Godenzonen

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr jul 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Will it be that cold in 2014 in Brazil???
May the Force be with you

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr jul 08, 2011 8:00 pm

souras84 schreef:Will it be that cold in 2014 in Brazil???
Not as cold, and very dependant on which part of Brazil youre talking about. The northen part of Brazil(Manuas,Recife even Brasilia) will be hot (around 30 degrees celsius) Rio and Sao Paulo will alternate hot days with cool days while the southern part (Porto Alegre,Iguazu) will be cold (10-12 degrees celsius).

To be honest I would be more worried abot the rain; alot of games could be played under intense showers.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » vr jul 08, 2011 8:05 pm

In terms of goal or temperature? :confused.gif: :biggrin.gif: , Well I'll answer both just to be sure. Depends on what city of Brazil the matches our played, the south of the country will be mildly cold, but not as much as in this tournament, while the northern country will stay pretty much very tropical. In terms of goal scoring, well more and more, inetrnatioal football is lagging behind club competition for some obvious reasons (less continuity with coaching staffs for example and less player ontact to really gel in a team) and others that are hard to explain, I don't think it is merely a problem in South America, as south africa 2010 also saw some really defensive football with few teams really proposing any attacking and open play. The problem with the copa america is that 8 out of the 12 teams competing make it to the second round, so you get to pass as the second best team in third place in your group, so teams really don't see the need of going out to win the match and risking not winning a point when three points is enough to get you through. And last, what I believe could really make the difference is that the ten teams that make up the Conmebol don't have that big of a difference talent wise between each other as you could say Germany has oer San marino or Andorra or whatever. Even almighty Brasil and Argentina aren't years beyond the likes of Paraguay, Chile Uruguay and even Colombia. Take a look at Colombia vs. Argentina, yes they had Messi the best player in the world but we featured a striker in prolific form in falcao and his reble winning partener, Freddy Guarin, with a back four groomed in La liga and the Seria A, all of whom are playing for Champions league bound teams so it can get pretty even and hard to score in this tournament.
Godenzonen

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr jul 08, 2011 8:38 pm

ajaxcolombia schreef:In terms of goal or temperature? :confused.gif: :biggrin.gif: , Well I'll answer both just to be sure. Depends on what city of Brazil the matches our played, the south of the country will be mildly cold, but not as much as in this tournament, while the northern country will stay pretty much very tropical. In terms of goal scoring, well more and more, inetrnatioal football is lagging behind club competition for some obvious reasons (less continuity with coaching staffs for example and less player ontact to really gel in a team) and others that are hard to explain, I don't think it is merely a problem in South America, as south africa 2010 also saw some really defensive football with few teams really proposing any attacking and open play. The problem with the copa america is that 8 out of the 12 teams competing make it to the second round, so you get to pass as the second best team in third place in your group, so teams really don't see the need of going out to win the match and risking not winning a point when three points is enough to get you through. And last, what I believe could really make the difference is that the ten teams that make up the Conmebol don't have that big of a difference talent wise between each other as you could say Germany has oer San marino or Andorra or whatever. Even almighty Brasil and Argentina aren't years beyond the likes of Paraguay, Chile Uruguay and even Colombia. Take a look at Colombia vs. Argentina, yes they had Messi the best player in the world but we featured a striker in prolific form in falcao and his reble winning partener, Freddy Guarin, with a back four groomed in La liga and the Seria A, all of whom are playing for Champions league bound teams so it can get pretty even and hard to score in this tournament.
I think the weather is being a factor, right now players are just not looking comfortable on the field. Speaking of field some have mentioned that the damp cold weather is making the pitch slower than usual and thus working against the South American style of play. Venezuela 2007 was a goal fest, I mean after the first cycle of games there had been 24 goals in comparison in Argentina 2011 the second cycle has already started and there has only been 10! goals.

I sure hope the floodgates start opening or this is going to look like Italy 1990.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

PabloDiablo

Bericht door PabloDiablo » vr jul 08, 2011 10:53 pm

ajaxcolombia schreef:Wow very specific prediction. The tournament has really lacked any flair and very few goals have been scored, with onl Chile gathering a win against an 11 man opponent. I was happy to see my colombian boys, with our Porto armed arsenal, pretty much ridicule Argentina on the field. But its alarming that despite having a central forward like Falcao who can score 15 times in the Europa League, we were so poor shooting on target, although Az's Romero was also to blame for us not beating Argentina. So anyway, hope Chile and uruguay really set it alight tonight and score as many goals as you predicter Flipster, the tournament's reputation is in dire need of it.
I was really pulling for Colombia in that game, and in fact they could have won - one of their guys missed an open goal near the end of the first half. Messi looks like a mortal when he plays for Argentina.

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » vr jul 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Venezuelan Ajacied schreef:
ajaxcolombia schreef:In terms of goal or temperature? :confused.gif: :biggrin.gif: , Well I'll answer both just to be sure. Depends on what city of Brazil the matches our played, the south of the country will be mildly cold, but not as much as in this tournament, while the northern country will stay pretty much very tropical. In terms of goal scoring, well more and more, inetrnatioal football is lagging behind club competition for some obvious reasons (less continuity with coaching staffs for example and less player ontact to really gel in a team) and others that are hard to explain, I don't think it is merely a problem in South America, as south africa 2010 also saw some really defensive football with few teams really proposing any attacking and open play. The problem with the copa america is that 8 out of the 12 teams competing make it to the second round, so you get to pass as the second best team in third place in your group, so teams really don't see the need of going out to win the match and risking not winning a point when three points is enough to get you through. And last, what I believe could really make the difference is that the ten teams that make up the Conmebol don't have that big of a difference talent wise between each other as you could say Germany has oer San marino or Andorra or whatever. Even almighty Brasil and Argentina aren't years beyond the likes of Paraguay, Chile Uruguay and even Colombia. Take a look at Colombia vs. Argentina, yes they had Messi the best player in the world but we featured a striker in prolific form in falcao and his reble winning partener, Freddy Guarin, with a back four groomed in La liga and the Seria A, all of whom are playing for Champions league bound teams so it can get pretty even and hard to score in this tournament.
I think the weather is being a factor, right now players are just not looking comfortable on the field. Speaking of field some have mentioned that the damp cold weather is making the pitch slower than usual and thus working against the South American style of play. Venezuela 2007 was a goal fest, I mean after the first cycle of games there had been 24 goals in comparison in Argentina 2011 the second cycle has already started and there has only been 10! goals.

I sure hope the floodgates start opening or this is going to look like Italy 1990.
Yeah Venezuela 2007 was a great tournament, and its funny some players were complaining about the extreme heat in Maracaibo and other cities before it began.
Godenzonen

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » za jul 09, 2011 12:07 am

First half of chile uruguay ends in another 0-0, with very clear chances wasted by both sides. Luis had a sitter and through it over the bar. I was particularly annoyed by his antics, always complaining to the referee and dropping to the floor, though he was provoked verbally at one point by defender Contreras fomr Chile at one point, with only a very clear "f*** you" on cam from Suarez as response. No Nico Lodeiro today, dropped by tabarez for today's atch.
Godenzonen

ajaxcolombia

Bericht door ajaxcolombia » za jul 09, 2011 1:12 am

Another tie in the copa america, 1-1 between uruguay and chile, alavaro pereir scored first for uruguay, wile barcelona target alexis sanchez equalized for chile. One of the better matches in the cup yet, and there should have been more goals, chile ad some pretty clear ones.
Godenzonen

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » za jul 09, 2011 1:17 am

I was close and got 1 scorer right. Wasn't happy with Suarez in this match, I think Gerrard is having a negative effect on him by teaching him to be a worse diver and moaner, but otherwise a good game.

Flipster81

Bericht door Flipster81 » za jul 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Sorry for double posting but a bit of sad news for me today, one of my football heroes has hung up his boots. Fabio Cannavaro, total legend and the man who showed you don't have to be over 6 feet to be a quality defender (I'm 5'8" haha).

Plaats reactie