The Big Euro 2008 Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » wo jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Sneijder is running his mouth about how terrified Italy is to play the Oranje:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 74&cc=5901

In related news: Sneijder isn't very smart.
Portland Timbers FC - AFC Ajax - Southampton FC

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » wo jun 04, 2008 8:59 pm

I think that's an extremely inaccurate translation of what Sneijder said. The question was whether Holland fear Italy and his reply was that Italy fear Holland just as much.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo jun 04, 2008 9:12 pm

It seems that Oranje (or at least one ex player) are getting ready for a big tournamant in the traditional Dutch way :bomb.gif:

De Boer queries Dutch commitment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 422782.stm
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do jun 05, 2008 3:05 am

Does anyone have one of those Excel electronic wallchart predictor type thingos for Euro 2008?

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » do jun 05, 2008 7:25 am

The Purple Cow schreef:"Squeeze all those countries into a place the size of Holland, make it perfectly flat, add a climate that allows people to play soccer year round, and throw in a total soccer philosophy based on the insight of one of the world's best players ever (Cruyff). My point? Something along the lines of the 'perfect storm'. "

You and I inhabit different universes, monkeytonk.
Is that good or bad?

For the record,
population Holland: 16.6 million
population Denmark (5.5), Norway (4.6), Sweden (9.0), Finland (5.2): 24.3 million.

So if that was your point, technically you're correct. I was exaggerating (as well as surprised by Sweden). But I used the example to offset the common argument that Holland is a small country. The Dutch often follow this up with some great achievement by their countrymen. 'A small country that is great in deeds'. The reality is that Holland, where it comes to its people and their achievements, is a midsize country (with the benefit of a tremendous infrastructure that increases efficiency).

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jun 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Is anyone else on here planning to watch the Oranje games in De Hems Dutch bar in London? If so it would be good to meet up for a biertje or two maybe?=

I went there for the Portugal game at the last World Cup and the place was absolutely rocking - just like being in Holland in fact.

I should be going to the first game at least in there - they're all 19.45hrs kick offs (UK time) which is handy..............

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr jun 06, 2008 11:35 am

SE6Ajacied said:
Is anyone else on here planning to watch the Oranje games in De Hems Dutch bar in London? If so it would be good to meet up for a biertje or two maybe?=

Yeah I will be there...but i finish work at 6pm, so its going to be packed out by the time i get there :rules.gif:

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr jun 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Found this on the official Dutch site:

http://www.ajax.nl/web/show/id=154417/contentid=66655

It's got the Euro predictions of some of the Ajax players/staff. Just click the names at the bottom and they are PDFs.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr jun 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Well we did alright in this tournament...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/ ... beers.html

(but only because the Belgians weren't entered).
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr jun 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:Well we did alright in this tournament...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/ ... beers.html

(but only because the Belgians weren't entered).

Yeah, no one matches the Belgians when it comes to this. Glad they used Grolsch instead of Heineken at least, although I've yet to see Grolsch Weizen in the US.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr jun 06, 2008 9:53 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:

Yeah, no one matches the Belgians when it comes to this. Glad they used Grolsch instead of Heineken at least, although I've yet to see Grolsch Weizen in the US.
No Grolsch Lente Bok either. Tarwebok and Oud Bruin from Heineken are both very acceptable though.

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » za jun 07, 2008 2:53 pm

My very favorite Dutch Pilsener, Amstel 1870, has now been launched in the USA.

About time too! I'm looking forward to introducing it to my in-laws next time I'm over there.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » za jun 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Well we're off....

HAPPY EURO EVERYONE !!!!

:wk.gif:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » zo jun 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Well it's been a yawnfest so far, let's hope Poland v. Germany livens things up tonight.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » zo jun 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Come on you Germans!

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » ma jun 09, 2008 2:09 am

Well two days of euro footy and the same results....first game ends in favor of the favprite 1-0 and the second game also favors the favorite 2-0....will it change tomorrow ??? sure hope so since the dutch are underdogs :hupajax.gif: Im actually going to place a bet on two draws tomorrow....
BRING IT ON !!!!...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma jun 09, 2008 11:06 am

The Purple Cow schreef:Well it's been a yawnfest so far, let's hope Poland v. Germany livens things up tonight.
Wouldn't necessarily say its been a "yawnfest'. Agree that the first game was a poor excuse for a football match, but the others have been reasonably entertaining, especially given its the first round of games.

Thought Austria was unlucky against Croatia, they were at least good for a point. Definite penalty on second watch though. But someone needs to give Olić a good whack around the noggin. A gymnast would be happy with some of the diving rolls that guy takes.

Fingers crossed for an Oranje win tonight!

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » ma jun 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Well it's not getting any better is it?

Germany sleep-walked through their first game, and the Romanians haven't done much for brighter football in the first half of their game. If France score soon, it might brighten up though.

The worst thing that could happen tonight would be for Italy to score early. Then they'll just shut up shop and we'll be in for another 90 minutes of abject tedium. So we need an early Oranje goal, then we could be in for a cracking game.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma jun 09, 2008 6:57 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:Well it's not getting any better is it?

Germany sleep-walked through their first game, and the Romanians haven't done much for brighter football in the first half of their game. If France score soon, it might brighten up though.

The worst thing that could happen tonight would be for Italy to score early. Then they'll just shut up shop and we'll be in for another 90 minutes of abject tedium. So we need an early Oranje goal, then we could be in for a cracking game.
For sure. If Italy score its over.

France - v - Romania. Worst game I have seen for a long time. Did the 2 teams just travel back to Italia 90 or something???

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » ma jun 09, 2008 8:42 pm

2-0 HT :headbang.gif:

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » ma jun 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey ho, finally 45 minutes of proper football.

van Nistlerooij's goal was legitimate. There was an Italian defender behind the byline who was officially playing Van Nistelrooij onside even though he was lying down at the time.

You're not allowed to leave or join the field of play without the ref's permission (basically to stop defenders stepping off the pitch to play people offside). So if you're there, you're officially in play.

JM

Bericht door JM » ma jun 09, 2008 8:43 pm

I am impressed with Holland's 1st 45 minutes v Italy. Van der Vaart looks particularly good and their balance in a 4-2-3-1 makes sense with all of the injuries to their wings.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma jun 09, 2008 9:43 pm

Can't say I expected that. And it's nice to see Italy get themselves in trouble by playing injured, if that dude had stayed on his feet van Nistelrooij would've been offside.

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » ma jun 09, 2008 9:44 pm

WOW !!!! Football Justice has finally been made at its fullest....GO ORANJE !!!!!!
BRING IT ON !!!!...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma jun 09, 2008 9:47 pm

Excellent game. 3-0 win. De Hems was a right wash-out. I got there about nearly two hours before kick-off and joined the queue of Oranje fans outside - nothing happened til an hour before kick-off though we could all see that the downstairs bar (there are two) was empty. Anyway then this guy came out and said there was a staff shortage or something and sent everyone away so I got home just in time for most of the game.........

Brilliant result though. Hup Oranje! :onfire.gif:

Gesloten