General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do okt 13, 2005 11:10 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:I can sense a little bit of 'next door neighbor rivalry' here... I recognize it. The mighty Kingdom of The Netherlands: good guys. Krauts: bad guys. :yes: ;)
I dont know why Frans has anything against the Aussies. Actually I am quite hurt by his comments. Is it our fault that we beat them at everything, all of their artists (eg: Finn brothers) leave their home to live in a better country, and we can say the word 'six' without making it sound like 'sex'. Its about time New Zealand just became an Australian state... ;)

Seriously though, NZ is probably the safest country on earth, they mind their own business, as far as I know, their politicians aren't racists followers who can't think for themselves, they have over the years produced some amazing artist and I have a number of NZ friends who in all honesty have them same mentallity as us Aussies (in general). Enjoy your life, treat everyone equal, enjoy a laugh (at ourselves as well) and we can both take the s*it out of england when ever we can :xyxthumbs:
Kowalczyk schreef:I have a different opinion on the Australia v Uruguay games. In general, I sympathize with countries where the lads love a beer, a good pisstake and generally prefer 'tongue-in-cheek' over drama. These are my favourite places and my favourite people, in most cases.

In practice, this means (generally speaking) that I, in most cases, tend to sympathize with the 'English-speaking world' (in practice: either countries where English is the official language or countries where people speak English reasonably well) and much less with the 'latin' world.

What I'm trying to say is... CAAAAARRMMMM ON YOU SOCCEROOS!! Stuff them diving, whining, ponce f*cking bastards for us, fer FACK's sakes!! I mean: they shake your hand, but as soon as the ref looks the other way they step on your f*cking face, don't they. HAMMER 'EM!

Oops, now gave myself away (I think...) :hypocrite:

K.
Ko...feel free to come over for a beer anytime mate. Maybe Frans can find his way over as well (I think they have airplanes in NZ ) :D

dws

Bericht door dws » do okt 13, 2005 11:21 pm

I dont know why Frans has anything against the Aussies. Actually I am quite hurt by his comments. Is it our fault that we beat them at everything
You forgot to mention the mighty ALL BLACKS .... they crapped all over the Aussies in the Tri-Nations. :yes:

Best of luck to the boys in gold against those UroGays . :xyxthumbs:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr okt 14, 2005 2:27 am

dws schreef:
I dont know why Frans has anything against the Aussies. Actually I am quite hurt by his comments. Is it our fault that we beat them at everything
You forgot to mention the mighty ALL BLACKS .... they crapped all over the Aussies in the Tri-Nations. :yes:

IIRC the Aussies put up more of a fight than the Lions did... :redcard:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr okt 14, 2005 7:57 am

DanK schreef:(...) they have over the years produced some amazing artists
The Chills! The Clean! The Sneaky Feelings!

The Flying Nun label (Dunedin) produced some absolutely classic indie stuff, especially in the latter half of the 80s and around 1990.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr okt 14, 2005 8:02 am

I am sorry Ko, but I think your post is on the wrong thread ;)
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr okt 14, 2005 8:14 am

DanK schreef:
we can say the word 'six' without making it sound like 'sex'.
So is that how you can tell. I'm always upsetting Kiwi's and Canadians by accusing them of being from somewhere they're not :blush:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr okt 14, 2005 9:33 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:So is that how you can tell. I'm always upsetting Kiwi's and Canadians by accusing them of being from somewhere they're not :blush:
Well, at least Kiwis and Aussies (and Yanks and Canucks, for that matter) technically speak the same language, in a more or less familiar accent.

Dutch and German are different languages and they have a very different 'melody' and pronounciation, but still the whole world thinks we're Krauts when they hear us. Now that pisses me off... ;)

Seriosuly, though: the gutteral g and the hard vowels make Dutch sound so much more harsh (and less 'melodic') than German... There are many linguistic similarities, but the difference in sound is quite big.

On the other hand: many Dutchmen can't even hear the difference between Turkish and Arabic (we have loads of Turks and Moroccans here), whereas those two languages are extremely different. Turkish is an Indo-European language, essentially belonging to the same 'language family' as German and Dutch. Arabic is a different 'family'. They don't even have the same alphabet and a 100% different sound.

So, Dutchies who take it as an insult if someone can't tell the difference between Dutch and German, but at the same time claim that Turkish and 'Moroccan' (wtf?) are all the same moussaka, are just plain stupid and ignorant. German and Dutch are identical twins if you compare 'em to Turkish and Arabic.

K.
Still alive...

Frans

Bericht door Frans » vr okt 14, 2005 10:49 am

Venezuelan Ajacied schreef: If most of you dident know, it is the second straight time that Uruguay play Argentina on the last fixture date needing a result(last time it was a draw) this time they needed a win, and they got it.After Korea and Japan the Uruguay coach admited publicly that their had been an agreement between the two federations before the game to allow Uruguay the draw so they could make it trough, this time speculation ran wild, and it happened again :pukey: .
Great. two teams of match-fixers. That should keep the bookies happy. :sad:

Seriously though, I don't want Uruguay in the world cup. and I wouldn't really mind if Aussie made it. and I've got nothing against australians in general. Even when they come out with some bullshit about our accents. This coming from a bunch of nutters who pronounce all their i's as e's and e's as a's. ;)
Of course, I'm not actually an official NZer so I don't know why I care.

Anyway, final words. Go Guus!! and go australia

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr okt 14, 2005 11:25 am

Uefa.com is showing the pots for Euro 2008 (bloody hell, we haven't even had the finishing games to the WC Quals!!!). Anyway the pots are:
UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying round draw
Pot 1
Greece
Netherlands
Portugal
England
Czech Republic
France
Sweden

Pot 2
Germany
Croatia
Italy
Turkey
Poland
Spain
Romania

Pot 3
Serbia and Montenegro
Russia
Denmark
Norway
Bulgaria
Ukraine
Slovakia

Pot 4
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Republic of Ireland
Belgium
Latvia
Israel
Scotland
Slovenia

Pot 5
Hungary
Finland
Estonia
Wales
Lithuania
Albania
Iceland

Pot 6
Georgia
F.Y.R. Macedonia
Belarus
Armenia
Northern Ireland
Cyprus
Moldova

Pot 7
Liechtenstein
Azerbaijan
Andorra
Malta
Faroe Islands
Kazakhstan
Luxembourg
San Marino

For once we cant play the Czech's, but maybe Germany!?!

Draw Montreux, Switzerland on 27 January 2006

dws

Bericht door dws » vr okt 14, 2005 11:59 am

aveslacker schreef:
dws schreef:

IIRC the Aussies put up more of a fight than the Lions did... :redcard:
The Lions can get tae f*ck. I was supporting the All Blacks. :yes: :headbang:

Lions :rocketwhore:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr okt 14, 2005 12:36 pm

The draw for the Euro 2008 qualification groups will take place on January 27. Before that, on December 09, we'll have the draw for the World Cup 2006.

Do you think the same rule as in the Champions League will apply: 'teams from the same country can not be drawn into the same group'...? :D

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr okt 14, 2005 12:54 pm

Went to Hawaii a few years back and everybody asked what part of Australia did I come from because of my Estuary English pronounciation. I of course put them right with the normal response of:- do I look like a friggin convict?
Seemed to do the tirck :D
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr okt 14, 2005 2:32 pm

dws schreef: The Lions can get tae f*ck. I was supporting the All Blacks. :yes: :headbang:

Lions :rocketwhore:
Actually, in spite of my Welsh wife and in-laws, so was I. I always support Wales, but Woodward is such a wanker (would make a good gridiron coach, imo, they're all complete wankers).

And the All-Blacks are awesome when in full flow.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr okt 14, 2005 2:36 pm

aveslacker schreef:
dws schreef: but Woodward is such a wanker
Yeh he was such a wanker as shown by him leading England to the world cup through his tactics. :worshippy:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr okt 14, 2005 2:59 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
dws schreef: but Woodward is such a wanker
Yeh he was such a wanker as shown by him leading England to the world cup through his tactics. :worshippy:
Well, those tactics worked great when you have a Martin Johnson. Reminds me of a famous quote by gridiron coach Bum Philips about Earl Campbell, his star running back (very reminiscent of Jonah Lomu in the way just ran over people). Philips said, "Earl Campbell made me a good coach." Ditto for Woodward and Johnson.

Woodward's tactics were great... in 2003. Unfortunately the Lions tour took place in 2005. The 2003 tactics didn't work so well then.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

dws

Bericht door dws » vr okt 14, 2005 6:47 pm

aveslacker schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:
aveslacker schreef: Yeh he was such a wanker as shown by him leading England to the world cup through his tactics. :worshippy:
Well, those tactics worked great when you have a Martin Johnson. Reminds me of a famous quote by gridiron coach Bum Philips about Earl Campbell, his star running back (very reminiscent of Jonah Lomu in the way just ran over people). Philips said, "Earl Campbell made me a good coach." Ditto for Woodward and Johnson.

Woodward's tactics were great... in 2003. Unfortunately the Lions tour took place in 2005. The 2003 tactics didn't work so well then.

Woodward used the vast amount of Sky tv money at his disposal to create the most professional structure ever seen in Rugby Union. However, without the likes of Johnson and Dallaglio there would have been no England World cup victory. It was the senior players in the England squad , not Woodwind, who enabled an English victory. The senior players determined the tactics to employ during game time. Without hard nosed Bastards like Johnson and Dallaglio England would not even have reached the final. Remember, England were a team in decline by the time of the World cup; Johnson and Dallaglio and the rest of the England forward pack deserve the bulk of the credit for winning the world cup .... not that tosser Woodward.

In Scotland Johnson and Dallaglio are hate figures. However, we recognise great players when we see them. That being said, we can smell a bull shitter from twenty paces..... Woodward is a premier Bullshitter. :yes:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr okt 14, 2005 7:02 pm

And don't forget Wilkinson hitting penalty after penalty after penalty. Truly exciting.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

dws

Bericht door dws » vr okt 14, 2005 7:19 pm

And don't forget Wilkinson hitting penalty after penalty after penalty. Truly exciting.
That's the biggest flaw in the game .... a team can win from 40 yards out. :pukey:

And don't forget who won those penalties ... the England pack .. the Bastards.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr okt 14, 2005 8:37 pm

Great coach, motivator and a winner and what do you call him - a tosser and a wanker. All sounds like a lot of jealousy to me. :headbang:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr okt 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I never called him a tosser! :bis:

I like rugby, but I don't care enough about it to be jealous of Clive Woodward.

I don't think he's as great a coach as you're giving him credit for. He presided over an England team at the peak of its powers, and it took him quite a while to get his team there. And the way he handled the Lions was poor, to say the least: claiming all along that form, not reputation would be the basis for selection and then selecting his old standbys (Neil Back, a not match fit and out-of-position Wilkinson, Jason Robinson, etc) for the first Test, showing that he had never really intended to select based on form. That's not good motivation.

As a tactician and coach, Woodward was clearly outclassed by Graham Henry in New Zealand. He absolutely could not adapt his game plan to fit his players. It is understandable that the All Blacks would win the series, but the Lions never even came close to playing to their potential.

If the Henson affair is indicative of the way he motivates players, then his skills in that regard are very suspect. And bringing Alastair Campbell on tour... not such a smart move.

And even if he is a better coach than his detractors claim (which I'm not so sure about), he is still a wanker insofar as his personality.

Like I said, in another world, he would have made a good gridiron coach - he has a meticulous eye for every conceivable detail, his strategy for rugby would have translated well to gridiron, and he is enough of a control freak to manage a big squad. And, like most gridiron coaches, he is a bit sleazy.

As a rugby coach he rode a wave of good players and got the most out of them at the right time. To be fair, he also deserves credit for some of the stuff off he did off the pitch to modernize the English game (at the national-team level, at least). But does this make him a good coach? Hardly. And does it keep him free from being a wanker? No.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr okt 14, 2005 9:16 pm

Well, we have to not agree on this one Aves and btw I never said you called him a tosser - it was DWS that called him that.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » za okt 15, 2005 12:27 am

Over Pasanens Head schreef:Well, we have to not agree on this one Aves and btw I never said you called him a tosser - it was DWS that called him that.
Fair enough. Just to be clear, I don't think anyone could say that England didn't deserve to win the WC. They were the best team. The question for me is whether or not it was the coaching of Woodward that did it as opposed to the tremendous quality of their players, and I think here is where I agree that we must agree to disagree (that's a mouthful).

Anyway, now back to talking about round football in this forum.

Cheers, :alc:

Your humble working boy.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za okt 15, 2005 12:37 am

aveslacker schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:Well, we have to not agree on this one Aves and btw I never said you called him a tosser - it was DWS that called him that.
Fair enough. Just to be clear, I don't think anyone could say that England didn't deserve to win the WC. They were the best team. The question for me is whether or not it was the coaching of Woodward that did it as opposed to the tremendous quality of their players, and I think here is where I agree that we must agree to disagree (that's a mouthful).

Anyway, now back to talking about round football in this forum.

Cheers, :alc:

Your humble working boy.
There's no debate anyway. England sucks. They're the Italy of Rugby. Mr Robot Wilkinson won the WC by himself, which tells a lot about the entertainment they provided :(
meh :|

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » za okt 15, 2005 12:38 am

Well, even at their best, they're not as exciting as France, NZ or Wales.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » za okt 15, 2005 7:55 am

Just for the record OPH, Woodward IS a tosser.

I say that not because of anything he's done in the last 25 years, but because he was an unpleasant PE teacher at the school I went to.......

So there......... ;)
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Plaats reactie