General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

DanK

Bericht door DanK » za dec 31, 2005 8:32 am

ZoefdeHaas schreef:How old is this guy?
From memory 26, actually maybe just turned 27. He played in Belgium for Lierse, but headed back 'down under' for the relaunch of the new football league in Australia (the A-Leauge). He is an absolute star in this country (esp in his home town of Melbourne). Everytime I watch him play I wonder why he didn't stay in Europe. He scores some absolute stunners and is comfortable with the ball on both feet.

PSV could do much worse. Should be nice and cheap too.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jan 13, 2006 10:41 am

Against Ajax, Arsenal played without a single Englishman. Now they bought another Frenchman, Abou Diaby. Now that they're leaving Highbury anyway, can't they just move to France...?

Imagine you're a supporter of a club like that...

I really can't stand it that so many football fans have this fetish for English clubs. To me, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are almost everything that I don't want my club to be...

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr jan 13, 2006 6:20 pm

If Arsenal moved to France it might be cheaper to watch them!!!

The only english player in their squad who was produced by them is Ashley Cole , only other englishman Campbell. It is standing joke in this country that Arsenal do not like young english players. However the rumor today is that they may be signing Theo Walcott ( see my reference to him in Nigel de Jong posting) This boy looks as good as Rooney so Wenger may even sign an englishman!!

Moan U do have a few englishmen but they still go out and buy unknown foreigners. Chelsea of course have an english thread in their team in Terry Lampard and Cole.

The best of the youngsters at these clubs are non english.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr jan 13, 2006 6:40 pm

PS to My above posting.

Arsenal manager Wenger has denied he is about to sign Walcott. He has just discovered the boy is english and not french.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Mr. Green

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr jan 13, 2006 8:41 pm

SPL schreef:PS to My above posting.

Arsenal manager Wenger has denied he is about to sign Walcott. He has just discovered the boy is english and not french.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Mr. Green
They just got Adebayor (Togolese, but almost French) for 10M€.
meh :|

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » vr jan 13, 2006 9:28 pm

I don't think either the Adebayor or Walcott deals have been confirmed, they're just rumors and speculation at this point (although the Adebayor one looks to be a near certainty, may even be completed today). If they do pull off both these deals, however, that makes for quite a busy 24 hours at Arsenal... 30M Euros spent with Adebayor, Walcott and Diaby coming in.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za jan 14, 2006 1:36 am

AjaxPDX schreef:I don't think either the Adebayor or Walcott deals have been confirmed, they're just rumors and speculation at this point (although the Adebayor one looks to be a near certainty, may even be completed today). If they do pull off both these deals, however, that makes for quite a busy 24 hours at Arsenal... 30M Euros spent with Adebayor, Walcott and Diaby coming in.
www.lequipe.fr says Adebayor's move is a done deal.

I don't know for sure for Walcott.

And Diaby is also for sure.
meh :|

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo jan 15, 2006 1:57 pm

Donkey Adams has a new job

Form bbc.co.uk

"Utrecht bring in Adams as a coach

Former England and Arsenal captain Tony Adams will begin work as trainee coach with Dutch side Utrecht on Monday.
Adams helped coach Feyenoord's Under-21 squad in July in a bid to gain more experience of the European game.

And he will now be added to the first team technical staff at Utrecht on a "work placement" similar to his stint at Feyenoord, the club website said.

Utrecht boss Foeke Booy said: "He wants to see how we work. He'll join us for a month and then we may extend his stay."

Adams has been improving his knowledge and experience of European football with coaching spells in Italy, France and Belgium.

The former centre-back quit as manager of Wycombe Wanderers in November 2004 for personal reasons a year after he joined.

He retired as a player at Arsenal in 2002."
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » wo jan 25, 2006 6:11 pm

This friday (27 Jan 2006) at 12.00 in Montreux (Switzerland) will be draw for Euro 2008 qualifies' group. 50 countries will be drawn to 7 groups, and 2 best teams from every group will qualify to Euro 2008.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jan 25, 2006 7:03 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Donkey Adams has a new job

Form bbc.co.uk

"Utrecht bring in Adams as a coach
F-word and Utrecht... I couldn't have thought of two better Dutch clubs for him. :D

K.
Still alive...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm

Excellent news. I now no longer have to watch his "punditry" on Match of the Day 2.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jan 27, 2006 1:58 am

Pele: Brazil to win World Cup (aka: Pele states the bloody obvious!)
from theworldgame.com.au

Pele is backing Brazil to retain the World Cup because they have greater depth than other top teams like England or Italy.

"I think England has a good team this year, Italy has a very good team but of course Brazil is the favourite, without a doubt," Pele told Reuters.

He gave his views about the likely winners of this year's tournament in Germany on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum, a gathering of political and business leaders.

"Brazil has two teams. If they have to change a player it makes no difference," said the triple World Cup-winner.

"But if a team like England or Italy lose their best players through injury, they have problems to get replacements."

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr jan 27, 2006 4:19 am

aaaaaaaaaaaa Ok DUH!!!!!!!!!! :X
BRING IT ON !!!!...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za jan 28, 2006 10:25 pm

England are doing very well in the Eredivisie! David Jones of NEC now has 4 goals in the last two games.....just watched Willen II v NEC on Talpa.....
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma jan 30, 2006 9:48 am

SPL :-

I can't here the Worthing Sing :headbang: :D
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma jan 30, 2006 6:23 pm

OPH I have not forgotten you!

To the others on this site OPH and I support our local teams , who play in the Rymans League which is 7th Division.( Premiership, Championship,Div 1, Div 2,Conference, Conference South then Rymans)We are in a semi pro league.

His team, Braintree are currently top , with games in hand and are favourites to go up ( Champs go up , play off for the 2nd promotion place between 2nd to 5th place clubs) My team Worthing are 5th.

On Saturday they beat Worthing 4-2 Did you go by the Way?

Refering to Worthing there are similarities with Ajax.For the last 3 games, which we have all lost, the coach has been playing players out of position.
eg right back plays centre back, centre back at defensive midfield, defensive midfield at right back. All season one of our best strikers has played right wing , the right winger at central midfield and finally are leading scorer is now always a sub and gets about 10 mins footy

DOES THIS REMIND YOU OF THE WAY A CERTAIN DUTCH TEAM ARE COACHED????

The name of our coach, who is clueless, is Danny Bloor ( even the names are similar )

PS Even if they were all playing in their right positions we would still have lost to you.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma jan 30, 2006 6:34 pm

As a post script to the above I thought I would mention that one of the teams in our league are AFC Wimbledon. The original Wimbledon , who played at Crystal Palace ground for years moved to Milton Keynes(a new town 30 /40 miles north of London) about 4 years ago and were able to change their name to MK Dons and are still in the league, bottom of Div 1.

The old South London based supporters of Wimbledon decided to form anew team ie AFC Wimbledon and this is their 4th season.They now have their own ground in Kingston, next door to Wimbledon,and have a hugh support for this level of about 2000 a home game. Worthing are well supported at 400 average but last Saturday when they came down to Worthing the gate was 2200.

This ends my little bit of Waffle about non league footy here in South east England.

dws

Bericht door dws » di jan 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Seems Quincy Owusu has signed a contract for 3 seasons with Moscow Spartak.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di jan 31, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi SPL - I didn't go as I felt that it would be pushing my luck with she who must be obeyed - I was going to be out all the next day in Amsterdam. Apparently though it was a very good game and the best team won - which you would expect me to say.

However there were problems at Braintree versus Chelmsford last night viz:-

"Braintree Town’s Essex Senior Cup Semi-Final at Chelmsford City ended prematurely with the match referee abandoning the game with some 20 minutes remaining. Steve Good had given Braintree a fifteenth minute lead, an advantage doubled on 31 minutes by James Baker. After the break Braintree continued to control the game until a melee between the players brought the game to a halt. After consulting with his two assistants, the match referee decided to abandon the game.
Chairman Lee Harding was disappointed with the outcome: â€

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 02, 2006 7:44 pm

Defence in tatters, Midfield almost non existant and not scoring enough goals.!!!!

Yes I could be describing our team but that is my description of my son's beloved Arsenal in recent weeks. He is always making fun at Ajax ( ignorant boy!! ) but when I told him that last night after another defeat he could not disagree.

And we have still won the Champions League /European Cup 4 times.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za feb 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Thank God Nigeria knocked Tunisia out of the African nations cup in the quarter finals (6-5) on penalties. Lets hope Trabelsi will get his ass back to Amsterdam for training on time. :worshippy:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 06, 2006 3:17 pm

Question for the Brits...

I will have to miss Ajax vs Willem II on Wednesday evening, as I will be in London on a business trip. I might go to a gig in the evening (Broken Social Scene @ the Astoria or Clear Lake @ the Barfly), but a nice fix of footie would be a nice one as well. Can you tell me which London clubs play at home on Wednesday 8th (if any...)? Division doesn't matter. All I'm looking for is a nice game at a nice ground.

Is there a website that lists all the fixtures or something?

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 06, 2006 3:22 pm

Wow, I just noticed that Charlton will play Liverpool in the league and Chelsea vs Everton in the FA Cup... Not bad. Not bad. Which one do would you guys recommend? (I kind of fancy the Charlton vs Liverpool game... are Charlton home games normally sold out?)

Also: any nice games in lower divisions?

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma feb 06, 2006 3:26 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Wow, I just noticed that Charlton will play Liverpool in the league and Chelsea vs Everton in the FA Cup... Not bad. Not bad. Which one do would you guys recommend?

Also: any nice games in lower divisions?

K.
No games in lower divisions on Wednesday - AFC Wombles versus Braintree is on the Tuesday night.
Personally wouldn't bother with any but if I had to chose it would be the Charlton game as Chelsea/Everton one will be just plain crap and would cost you the earth

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma feb 06, 2006 3:26 pm

SPL schreef:
And we have still won the Champions League /European Cup 4 times.

plus the UEFA cup, that makes five
Appie, stay strong !

Plaats reactie