Ryan Babel

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 10, 2006 1:11 pm

According to the reports Fiorentina's bid is not 10 million, but 6 million euros... We're talking about a summer transfer here, obviously.

According to the reports Babel and his agents are very much up for it.

Me? I am not too sure. I agree with all of that it is not a good thing when a youth player doesn't get a serious chance and leaves before he even turns 20, while Ajax spend millions on strikers.

Thing is: I have had my doubts about Babel from the start... He just hasn't really convinced me so far. His first touch is terrible. Frankly, if you ask me he's one of the least skillful players in the squad. He's mightily strong and very dangerous when he's got some space in front of him, so that he can dribble and accelerate. But a top drawer #9 for Ajax...? I am not sure. His ability in small spaces is limited, because he has no control over the ball.

In general, it's not a good thing to sell such a young and definitely talented striker at such an early age. But I fear that he is not going to be a world class striker, and that we'll end up selling him for like 2 million to Portsmouth in two years' time...

Time will tell. I'm glad I don't have to decide on this one...

K.
Still alive...

kaiser

Bericht door kaiser » vr feb 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:According to the reports Fiorentina's bid is not 10 million, but 6 million euros... We're talking about a summer transfer here, obviously.

According to the reports Babel and his agents are very much up for it.

Me? I am not too sure. I agree with all of that it is not a good thing when a youth player doesn't get a serious chance and leaves before he even turns 20, while Ajax spend millions on strikers.

Thing is: I have had my doubts about Babel from the start... He just hasn't really convinced me so far. His first touch is terrible. Frankly, if you ask me he's one of the least skillful players in the squad. He's mightily strong and very dangerous when he's got some space in front of him, so that he can dribble and accelerate. But a top drawer #9 for Ajax...? I am not sure. His ability in small spaces is limited, because he has no control over the ball.

In general, it's not a good thing to sell such a young and definitely talented striker at such an early age. But I fear that he is not going to be a world class striker, and that we'll end up selling him for like 2 million to Portsmouth in two years' time...

Time will tell. I'm glad I don't have to decide on this one...

K.
I think it is wishful thinking to say that he is dangerous, look at his scoring this far...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » vr feb 10, 2006 4:14 pm

His scoring record as a striker speaks for itself.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 10, 2006 4:22 pm

bryan schreef:His scoring record as a striker speaks for itself.
Not exactly sure what you mean here... (whether you're being ironic or not).

His scoring record as a striker is actually quite good. His record as a left winger is pants.

Doesn't change anything for me, though.

K.
Still alive...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » vr feb 10, 2006 4:25 pm

I mean his scoring record as a number 9, before Blind started playing him out of position.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr feb 10, 2006 5:58 pm

Well godd things about him:

1. Fast
2. Dribbling
3. Could transform into a good Left Winger, but he doesnt like that place
May the Force be with you

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr feb 10, 2006 6:08 pm

We should use Babel as a right winger instead of that D*nkey Rosales.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr feb 10, 2006 7:53 pm

6 Million for an unproven commodity? 3 million less than we spent on a known, proven goalmouth killer (Huntelaar)?

Sell him and don't look back.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

DanK

Bericht door DanK » za feb 11, 2006 8:23 am

aveslacker schreef:6 Million for an unproven commodity? 3 million less than we spent on a known, proven goalmouth killer (Huntelaar)?

Sell him and don't look back.
I am all for Babel staying, but if we can get 6 mil??? :pinkelephant:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 27, 2006 8:33 am

Babel did not want to talk to the press after the Heracles game. He was afraid he'd say stupid things...

This kid is obviously very frustrated at the moment. And I can understand him, but having said that: he doesn't really have too much of point. Huntelaar and Rosenberg are doing great and I don't think Babel has much to demand, in spite of his well-taken goal at Heracles. He's young and he has to be patient.

Yet, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose him this summer... Unfortunately.

K.
Still alive...

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » ma feb 27, 2006 10:26 am

He shouldn't be so frustrated. He is only 19 years old and has a terrible first touch (kan iemand balaanname goed vertalen?).

Huntelaar is showing his class and Rosenberg works his ass off. Babel has too many up-and-downs to really get in the starting line-up.

And where does he want to go? Rumours say that he can go to Italy, well if one country is conservative about young players, its Italy! I can promise him that he won't play for 2 years when he moves to Juventus of Milan.

But probably the money is better.....

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 27, 2006 11:03 am

GangstaRiB schreef:He shouldn't be so frustrated. He is only 19 years old and has a terrible first touch (kan iemand balaanname goed vertalen?).
No translation required, mate. A terrible first touch; that is exactly it. :xyxthumbs:

K.
Still alive...

Tisba
Contacteer:

Bericht door Tisba » di feb 28, 2006 3:29 pm

I hope Blind will make him play against Milan at San Siro, for me it's the next Kluivert
Laatst gewijzigd door Tisba op di feb 28, 2006 3:41 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Jesse

Bericht door Jesse » di feb 28, 2006 3:33 pm

Why is he the next Kluivert?
"Well, maybe Bob Dylan was wrong. Maybe you do have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Tisba
Contacteer:

Bericht door Tisba » di feb 28, 2006 3:40 pm

Jesse schreef:Why is he the next Kluivert?
First he's black (lmao), Second he's high sized, got two good feets, he's fast, and because since kluivert Ajax didn't produce a good 100% holland attack striker

Tisba
Contacteer:

Bericht door Tisba » di feb 28, 2006 3:42 pm

In France a lot of people love Ryan Babel and don't understand why he is not titular

Jesse

Bericht door Jesse » di feb 28, 2006 3:44 pm

I think he's got to work on his first touch. Right now that one is so terrible that it hurts when you watch it.
"Well, maybe Bob Dylan was wrong. Maybe you do have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Tisba
Contacteer:

Bericht door Tisba » di feb 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Jesse schreef:I think he's got to work on his first touch. Right now that one is so terrible that it hurts when you watch it.
His first touch ?....hum....maybe but he's much better than Rosenberg

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 28, 2006 4:04 pm

Tisba schreef:
Jesse schreef:he's much better than Rosenberg
Explain, please... Rosenberg hasn't exactly been shit in recent weeks, has he?
K.
Still alive...

Tisba
Contacteer:

Bericht door Tisba » di feb 28, 2006 4:17 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Tisba schreef:
Jesse schreef:he's much better than Rosenberg
Explain, please... Rosenberg hasn't exactly been shit in recent weeks, has he?
K.
Against Heracles (and Heereven too) he missed some easy goals,he is too slow for me, the big problem with this player is that he must be taken in centre of attack not in the left like blind do all time(:redcard: Danny) , but I know Huntelaar is in the place

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di feb 28, 2006 5:26 pm

I prefer Rosenberg's work ethic to Babel's. I prefer Rosenberg's maturity to Babel's. Rosenberg has taken advantage of the opportunity presented.I simply don't feel the same can be said for Babel, who has been in Ajax 1 longer .Babel is pacy, and can be good off the bench, but chemistry is important. Rosey and KJH have shown good chemistry so far.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Frans

Bericht door Frans » wo mar 01, 2006 8:02 am

Blind3 schreef:Rosenberg has taken advantage of the opportunity presented.I simply don't feel the same can be said for Babel, who has been in Ajax 1 longer
When Babel initially got a small run in the side last year he did quite well. However he then had to play second fiddle to Charisteas, and since then he has not had much of a chance at his preferred position. So to say he hasn't taken his chance is a bit harsh. Rosenberg had a half year worth of opportunity to prove himself. Babel got a handful of games, in which he did ok.

Of course, at the moment Babel does not warrant a place in the starting lineup.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » wo mar 01, 2006 11:51 am

Tisba schreef:I hope Blind will make him play against Milan at San Siro, for me it's the next Kluivert
As a left winger he might be Kluivert from AC Milan... As a striker he is far away from Kluivert from FC Barcelona... And when you're talking about his frustration etc. he really looks like Kluivert from Newcastle ;).

He has a chance to develope into a great striker, but now he has to understand that he might be only reserve player (Huntelaar is number 1 at the moment). He is only 19 and I'm afraid that he is starting to pose into a big star- look on his haircut or things that he is saying in interviews. I am really scared that he will change rather into Mido than Kluivert... :sad:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 01, 2006 2:05 pm

Frans schreef:So to say he hasn't taken his chance is a bit harsh.
That is correct. On the other hand, it is also a bit harsh to say that he never got any chances (which you didn't, but certain other people seem to feel that way).

He had an absolutely amazing goal scoring percentage in his first ten games or so and he became a starter overnight. It must be said, however, that he had a very bad slump after that -- and this was, initially, at his favourite position of central striker.

Blind moved him to the left wing because he stopped scoring and his piss-poor first touch started to show. On the wing he would have more space to take advantage of his pace and to 'correct' his poor first touch, was Blind's thought. On the left wing Babel never really played well, unfrotunately.

And now we've got KJH (who's great and by all accounts the undisputed #9) and Rosenberg (who is doing better on the left wing than Babel ever did, at the moment). Both of these boys are scoring a lot of goals and there is simply no reason for Blind to replace any of these two.

So, again: I don't think Blind has to defend himself (when it comes to his current preferences for the positions of striker and left winger, that is) -- and I most definitely don't think that there Babel has much to demand.

K.
Still alive...

kaiser

Bericht door kaiser » zo mar 05, 2006 11:43 am

Babel is not good enough for a starting position. It is harsh truth, it hurts, I guess we all want to see players from the youth organisation in the team. But Babel can not outperform Rosenberg or Huntelaar, when Perez comes the situation will be even worse. Babel has to be lent out to develop further. Perhaps he is a future man for Ajax, let us give him a fair chance to prove that in a context where he can develop further.

Gesloten