Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mar 16, 2007 9:53 am

Just a quick note to wish the Dutch cricket team luck against South Africa in today's World Cup game...

South Africa are ranked #1 in the world right now, and cricket (like rugby) is a sport were upsets are a lot rarer than football...but you never know....

:eusa_pray: :wk: :eusa_pray:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr mar 16, 2007 12:34 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:Just a quick note to wish the Dutch cricket team luck against South Africa in today's World Cup game...

South Africa are ranked #1 in the world right now, and cricket (like rugby) is a sport were upsets are a lot rarer than football...but you never know....

:eusa_pray: :wk: :eusa_pray:
Good luck to NL too. Ireland drew yesterday with Zimbabwe who are supposedly (still) a fully fledged "test" nation so there is hope...
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 16, 2007 2:39 pm

I watched the West Indies - Pakistan match on a stream here at work. Great stuff! I've been a WI fan since 2000, when I lived there for a while.

That does make me a glutton for punishment, doesn't it. :X

In any event, good luck to Holland. :xyxthumbs:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr mar 16, 2007 4:39 pm

aveslacker schreef:I watched the West Indies - Pakistan match on a stream here at work.
....well, it makes you have quite a good boss too. I can't even use the internet at work so can never even post on here during the day (except today - I'm at home :cheer: ).
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 16, 2007 7:12 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
aveslacker schreef:I watched the West Indies - Pakistan match on a stream here at work.
....well, it makes you have quite a good boss too. I can't even use the internet at work so can never even post on here during the day (except today - I'm at home :cheer: ).
I'm surprised the web police didn't invade my office. I'm sure they wouldn't approve.

It was a good match, though. There's something enjoyable about the West Indies when they're playing well. Too bad that isn't all that often (although more so than it used to be).
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » vr mar 16, 2007 7:25 pm

Afbeelding
KNCB Rules!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mar 16, 2007 8:08 pm

Well after a great start (SA put out to bat and lost a wicket in the first over), things went very bad very quickly.... and I quote from Cricinfo live commentary....

"There's not much to say. Never before have so many SIXES been smashed in a one-dayer, never before has anyone clattered 36 in a one-day over, never before has a World Cup fifty come faster, never before have so many batsmen devoured so many bowlers with so little effort. South Africa have created one royal mess here at Warner Park and it will take some beating."

South Africa 353/3 (40/40 ov) :sad:

Holland to bat....should be a breeze.... :nooo:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mar 16, 2007 10:53 pm

I quote from Cricinfo once more....

"Rain delayed the start and then SA batsmen showered the ground with sixes and fours. A sedate start - they were on 4 for 1 at the end of 5 overs - before they broke free. And how. Kallis hit a unbeaten ton, Smith had a fifty, Gibbs blasted 6 sixes in a over - a World record and Boucher hit a frenetic fifty - quickest in World Cup history."

South Africa 353/3 (40/40 ov)
Netherlands 132/9 (40.0/40 ov)

Personally I think SA were lucky...... :eusa_liar:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mar 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Simon Kuper on Dutch cricket (from The Times).....

Hail Holland, world cricket’s unlikely lads

By Simon Kuper

Published: March 5 2007 14:01 | Last updated: March 5 2007 14:01

I still have the letter. It is dated June 8, 1984, and invites 25 boys to a training camp for Holland’s national under-17s cricket squad. Though I was neither particularly good at cricket nor Dutch – I merely happened to be growing up there - my name is the last on the list. Getting the letter was the proudest moment of what has passed for my sporting career. Later that summer I spent a week sleeping in a changing-room in the eastern town of Deventer, and got the best cricket coaching I would ever receive.

One of those 25 boys later won an Olympic gold medal with the Dutch hockey team. Another became a well-known cabaret artist. Most probably sit in offices dreaming of the weekend, and some of us live in Paris and can’t be bothered to play cricket anymore.

However, one of the boys from that week in Deventer is about to captain Holland at the cricket world cup in the West Indies. Luuk van Troost, now an old man of 37, leads the most unlikely nation in the tournament: the last team to qualify, the only continental European side, and the only participating country never colonized by Brits. Zen Marie, a South African making a documentary film about the Dutch team, admits: “There is a certain humour in the fact that they are playing.”

That cricket ever reached the Netherlands is a tribute to the country’s levels of globalisation. Rather than simply crossing the Channel from England, the game was imported by South Africans. It didn’t land on propitious soil. The Dutch summer is even shorter here than the English one, and Dutch clay is so soggy that cricket here can only be played on matting wickets or Astroturf. This means that even 14-year-olds can bounce balls at your head. At the most pathetic levels of Dutch cricket, many batsmen wear helmets.

Cricket only ever penetrated a few pockets of Dutch society. In The Hague, it’s played by posh types who regard it as a sort of magical rite with the power to transform them into English gentlemen. The game somehow also took root in Schiedam, a tough town just outside Rotterdam, known as the only place in the Netherlands where boys play cricket on the street. Schiedam once even produced a rare case of Dutch cricket hooliganism, when thousands of fans watched two local teams contest the national title. Van Troost, Holland’s captain, is from Schiedam. And increasingly since about 1990, Dutch cricket has been played by poor Asian immigrants. When these dockworkers and cleaners meet Hague bankers, both sides presume (often correctly) that the other is cheating.

There is another category of Dutch cricketer: people whose families were randomly infected by the game generations ago, and never shook it. Leaf through scorebooks and you come across the same few surnames. Arguably the royal family of Dutch cricket is a cheery tribe of blond giants named De Leede. On chilly summer mornings 25 years ago Tim de Leede used to tonk my legspinners into the local canal. Now he travels to the world cup as Holland’s 39-year-old elder statesman, the holder of many national records.

When I rang him in the Netherlands he was playing in the snow with his children. Tim works for KPN, the Dutch telecoms company. “They really don’t care that you play in the Dutch cricket team,” he said, “so you have to buy yourself free, take unpaid leave to go the world cup. It’s costing me handfuls of money. Only Ryan ten Doeschate is a professional cricketer. The rest of us work.”

How had Dutch cricket changed in the last 20 years? In the past, said Tim, almost all the country’s 5,000 cricketers were “Dutch”. Now many were “immigrants”. At lower levels of cricket this produced tensions, Tim confirmed. “You see many people quitting because they’ve had enough.”

In the world cup, Holland are in a group with the two best one-day cricket teams on earth, South Africa and Australia, as well as with Scotland. What would count as success? “Beating Scotland,” said Tim. “South Africa and Australia are so much better. How we do against them depends more on how they go into the match than on how we do.”

Is it fun to play against much better teams? “Lots of fun. As a bowler it’s fun because you see that if you bowl a good-length ball, even they have to block it. Though I’m not really looking forward to facing Brett Lee.” Perhaps fortunately, Australia’s pace bowler has just pulled out of the world cup with an injury.

Something puzzled me, I told Tim. Luuk van Troost as a teenager was not a very good cricketer. Once, when his club visited mine, and we were short of players as usual, he played for us and opened the batting with me. We scratched around horribly for ages, neither of us seeing the ball. He also lacked charm: the last time I played against him, I said hello and he gave me a blank look. When I reminded that we knew each other, he said, “That says nothing to me.” Yet a whirl of the clock later, he is captaining his country. How had he done it? “Mentality,” Tim replied.

I had to tell Tim: “When we were kids, you were the best of everyone.” “Really?” he asked. I didn’t mention the time he got bored of tonking us into canals the usual way, switched to batting left-handed, and tonked us even further. But he had never turned pro in England. Had he maximized his talent? “We’ll produce a professional once every ten years,” he sighed.

Does Tim now feel old as a cricketer? “Absolutely, yes,” he said, which is remarkable, because I can still see the ball sailing off his bat over the birch trees and wondering what on earth to do about it. Fortunately that is now the problem of Australia’s captain Ricky Ponting.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » za mar 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Meanwhile, both Bangladesh (v India) and Ireland (v Pakistan) are close to pulling off upsets today.

Lets go Bangla & Ireland!
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

US to appoint Dutch-American day

Bericht door ajaxusa » za mar 17, 2007 9:33 pm

14 March 2007

AMSTERDAM - US Congressman Peter Hoekstra has managed to get bipartisan support in the House of Representatives for the introduction of a special day to commemorate US-Dutch relations.

Congress unanimously passed a resolution on Tuesday expressing its desire that “a day should be established as Dutch-American Friendship Day to celebrate the historic ties of the United States and the Netherlands.”

Pete Hoekstra, a Republican serving for the Second Congressional District of Michigan, was born in Groningen, the Netherlands, and immigrated to Michigan with his family at the age of 3. This makes him one of the few members of Congress who was not born in the United States.

The district has the nation's largest concentration of Dutch-Americans.

[from Expatica]

Maybe they should present a plaque or something to Ajax USA :bis:

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo mar 18, 2007 1:10 am

aveslacker schreef:Meanwhile, both Bangladesh (v India) and Ireland (v Pakistan) are close to pulling off upsets today.

Lets go Bangla & Ireland!
Yesssss!
http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/i ... 60204.html

Happy St Pats Day to all the Irish people out there btw. Green Beers all round.
:alc:

And a nice win to Bangladesh as well...
http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/b ... 59683.html

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mar 18, 2007 2:29 pm

A great win for Ireland.

Cricket being talked about on this site and I did not start it !!!!

PS Just to say I am cricket mad and watch and support the champion team in England Sussex.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma mar 19, 2007 9:16 am

Well hopefully someone can beat Australia. As Aussie as I am, I really dislike our cricket team. Smug little shits.

Win gracefully and stop giving our country a bad name (except u Gilly - u rock! :D )

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mar 19, 2007 4:10 pm

Bob Woolmer (58), the Pakistan Coach has died. He was found unconscious in his hotel room the Sunday morning, and later died in hospital. He appears to have had a heart attack.

Unbelievable........

Rest in peace Bob.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc2007/c ... 85940.html

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma mar 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Could someone favor me with a translation? At least a summary?

Dank u wel. (that's all I know.)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Planet Internet en Ajax bouwen A'dam ArenA in Second Life

Planet Internet start op 17 maart in samenwerking met Ajax en de Amsterdam ArenA, de 'virtuele' ArenA in 'Second Life'. In het virtuele stadion kunnen avatars vanuit de KPN founderslounge kijken naar programma's van Ajax TV, waaronder voorbeschouwingen en samenvattingen van wedstrijden en interviews met spelers. Ook kunnen bezoekers vrij rondlopen in de ArenA. Doel van de samenwerking tussen Ajax, Amsterdam ArenA en Planet Internet is het experimenteren met het bieden van entertainment in een virtuele wereld, door middel van nieuwe en innovatieve mogelijkheden. In de toekomst zullen ook andere events plaatsvinden in het stadion, zoals concerten en feesten. Op het Ajax ArenA eiland zijn naast de ArenA ook winkels met Ajax merchandise en een eigen Planet Bar, waar de wedstrijd na afloop geanalyseerd kan worden. Een verslaggever van Planet Internet zal de ontwikkelingen op het eiland volgen en verslag doen in zowel Second Life als de 'real life' op www.planet.nl. Op 18 maart kunnen supporters de wedstrijd PSV - Ajax live bekijken via de grote schermen in het 'real life' stadion. De uitzending wordt verzorgd door de Tele2 live Eredivisie.

http://www.kpn.com
Bron: KPN, 16 maart 2007

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » ma mar 19, 2007 4:47 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Could someone favor me with a translation?
It's probably not as interesting as you think.

'Second life' is a kind of virtual world on the internet and it's going to have a copy of the Arena in it. People can walk around the stadium and watch Ajax TV. In the future they are planning to have concerts and parties over there, as an experiment with 'entertainment in a virtual world'.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo apr 01, 2007 4:02 pm

Pretty surprising, this:

Sjaak Wolfs named interim Mayor of Amsterdam
In a somewhat puzzling move that will no doubt delight fans of the local soccer team, the City Council of Amsterdam has sacked beleaguered mayor Job Cohen and replaced him on an interim basis with longtime Ajax equipment manager and "Jack of all Trades" Sjaak Wolfs.

Full Story

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo apr 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Forget that it's April Fool's Day , Sjaak Wolfs is too damn smart to enter the Circus Maximus , or is it Cirque Du Soleil where politicos contort and distort the truth and engage in amazing illusions, of politics.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ajax-erie

Bericht door ajax-erie » zo apr 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Could someone favor me with a translation? At least a summary?

Dank u wel. (that's all I know.)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Planet Internet en Ajax bouwen A'dam ArenA in Second Life

Planet Internet start op 17 maart in samenwerking met Ajax en de Amsterdam ArenA, de 'virtuele' ArenA in 'Second Life'. In het virtuele stadion kunnen avatars vanuit de KPN founderslounge kijken naar programma's van Ajax TV, waaronder voorbeschouwingen en samenvattingen van wedstrijden en interviews met spelers. Ook kunnen bezoekers vrij rondlopen in de ArenA. Doel van de samenwerking tussen Ajax, Amsterdam ArenA en Planet Internet is het experimenteren met het bieden van entertainment in een virtuele wereld, door middel van nieuwe en innovatieve mogelijkheden. In de toekomst zullen ook andere events plaatsvinden in het stadion, zoals concerten en feesten. Op het Ajax ArenA eiland zijn naast de ArenA ook winkels met Ajax merchandise en een eigen Planet Bar, waar de wedstrijd na afloop geanalyseerd kan worden. Een verslaggever van Planet Internet zal de ontwikkelingen op het eiland volgen en verslag doen in zowel Second Life als de 'real life' op www.planet.nl. Op 18 maart kunnen supporters de wedstrijd PSV - Ajax live bekijken via de grote schermen in het 'real life' stadion. De uitzending wordt verzorgd door de Tele2 live Eredivisie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planet Internet and Ajax build A'dam sand in Second life
Planet Internet start on 17 March in association with Ajax and the Amsterdam sand, the virtual sand in Second life. In the virtual stadion avatars can teleview, among which voorbeschouwingen and summaries of games and interview with players from the KPN founderslounge to programmes of Ajax. Also visitors can walk around rather in sand. Aim of the cooperation between Ajax, Amsterdam sand and Planet Internet is experiments with offering entertainment in a virtual world, by means of new and innovative possibilities. In the future events also other will take place in the stadion, such as concerts and festivals. On the Ajax sand island their own Planet bar are beside sand also shops with Ajax merchandise and, where the game can be analysed after result. A report donor of Planet Internet will follow the developments on the island and report does both Second life and the real life on www.planet.nl. On 18 March supporters can the game PSV - Ajax live examine stadion by means of the large baffles in the real life. The retransmission is looked after by Tele2 live the Eredivisie.
ONCE AJAX-ALWAYS AJAX

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Our good mate Dubbel started a Baseball topic, but unfortunately: this zone is not the place for that... Everything that has to do with football but not with Ajax, may be discussed in the General Football Discussion. Everything else (i.e. everything that has nothing to do with football) may be discussed here in this thread.
Dubbel schreef:With the start of another season in the MLB it is due time to open a baseball topic in this zone. The lads in the Dutch zone don't seem to get the fun of this sport and I hope this topic will thrive better in the Anglo-Saxon/USA zone. Anyone following this sport?

My LA Angels of A have started the season 2-0 over Texas with Vladdy in his usual great form. :cheer:
Go ahead - talk baseball!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Re-posting...
aveslacker schreef:I'm with you Dubbel -- Houston Astros all the way!!! :yes:

Afbeelding
K.
Still alive...

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » wo apr 04, 2007 11:16 pm

ANAHEIM -- Ervin Santana gave the Angels exactly what they needed on Wednesday afternoon -- seven strong innings en route to a 5-3 decision over Texas that completed a three-game sweep of the Rangers in front of 35,701 Angel Stadium of Anaheim fans.
Don't these people have jobs to go to? :confused:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do apr 05, 2007 7:05 am

Dubbel schreef:
ANAHEIM -- Ervin Santana gave the Angels exactly what they needed on Wednesday afternoon -- seven strong innings en route to a 5-3 decision over Texas that completed a three-game sweep of the Rangers in front of 35,701 Angel Stadium of Anaheim fans.
Don't these people have jobs to go to? :confused:
Dubbel-

Why the Angels and not the Dodgers?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do apr 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Great to see such a turn out. I was in the Bronx to watch the Yanks and Tampa on Monday. 50,000 plus in attendance , a Yankee win, and the thrill :pukey: of riding the cramped NY subway to and from Manhattan to the Bronx. Give me a cramped 54 train to Biljmer any day!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Plaats reactie