Ajax Coaches

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » vr feb 01, 2008 8:38 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
The Purple Cow schreef:My favourite would be Rijkaard, followed by Ko.
You'd rather have Rijkaard than me? What does he have that I don't have?

My favourite would be Guus Hiddink. :ajaxsmiley.gif:

#2: Co Adriaanse

#3: Louis van Gaal

Rijkaard? Well... okay, if none of the above are available. Van Basten? That would be a f*cking disaster.
K.
It's a fucking disaster right now, so it can't be any worse. Can it? I start to think, that Van Basten isn't so bad idea anymore

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr feb 01, 2008 9:05 am

Van Basten is a huge risk.

He may be a former great player.
He may be statistically successful with Holland (although you'll not find many fans of the product he's provided on the pitch).

BUT he has no experience as a club level coach.
It's another member of the alumnae association (Wouters, Blind), Koeman had been a coach elsewhere at least (and still made a dog's breakfast out of a great platform.

I recognise the problems run deeper organisationaly, but he's not going to change that. But you need a guy who can change the culture (and has a track record with that regard. Hence logical prefferences would be;
#1 Hiddink (not available, and too expensive)
#2 Adriaanse
#3 Van Gaal
#15 Van Basten

This WILL BE ('cause I'm sure its a done deal) bad news.... :bomb.gif:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 01, 2008 9:06 am

carcajou schreef: Stam played for PSV and Milan for a long time, and he was awesome for us.
happy to find one who shares my feelings...

back to topic, the most important would be to chose the next coach early enough for him to pick the players he'll want for the next season

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 01, 2008 10:55 am

carcajou schreef: You guys need to stop crying about all this PSV this, Feyenoord that, PSV background or whatever. It's just a matter of whether or not he's good at what he does. Stam played for PSV and Milan for a long time, and he was awesome for us. Let's stop looking at the labels. I honestly would rather have a good player or coach from Feyenoord than a piss-poor guy from the youth system.
I tend to agree with this most of the time, but in that case, I think it would be a real proof of the complete failure of the Ajax philosophy and club culture. When you need what was probably the best PSV coach ever to save the mighty Ajax, there's something seriously wrong. Ok, that's the case but :faga1.gif:.
Now if he comes, I won't cry, this guy would get results and can produce good football, but I don't really want to admit that 'the PSV way' is better than the Ajax values. But anyway, I just don't see him coming, as a coach or TD, as it is sometimes rumored.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr feb 01, 2008 11:06 am

Hiddink would be an incredible purchase. I can't see it happening, but we can only hope. His track record is outstanding.

I watched him closely with the Socceroos in the 2006 WC and how he transformed that team in such a short time was a tribute to his inter-personal and footballing skills. I guess it did help that the Australian Team were eager to learn and ego wasn't a problem.

But I think he proved that he can work with what he has, ie: he will play to the teams strengths and bring the best out of the players. He has done that everywhere he has worked.

The guy is the modern footballing genius. Probably one of if not THE best coach of the past 20 years. He would be a great asset.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr feb 01, 2008 11:16 am

Cedric_AeF schreef:I tend to agree with this most of the time, but in that case, I think it would be a real proof of the complete failure of the Ajax philosophy and club culture. When you need what was probably the best PSV coach ever to save the mighty Ajax, there's something seriously wrong. Ok, that's the case but :faga1.gif:.
Now if he comes, I won't cry, this guy would get results and can produce good football, but I don't really want to admit that 'the PSV way' is better than the Ajax values. But anyway, I just don't see him coming, as a coach or TD, as it is sometimes rumored.
Its not that the PSV way was better. Surely it just shows that Hiddinks way was better. If we are too proud to except that, and can't learn from the success of other clubs, even the ones we dislike with a passion, then this club is doomed to failure.

We need to learn from other people success and adapt it but into the Ajax culture. If that culture needs to change to bring success back then so be it.

While I would love to always play the so called 'Ajax way', I would rather have a successful club, then a team of easy beats and the laughing stock of Dutch football.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr feb 01, 2008 11:30 am

Cedric_AeF schreef: I think it would be a real proof of the complete failure of the Ajax philosophy and club culture.
I would suggest that the current state of affairs points to that being the case.

To be more precise, not necessarily that the philosophy the current culture is a failure (i.e. the application of the philosophy). We need a new broom to sweep away the attitudes (apathy and hubris). A very strong manager (not just coach) who makes them look in the mirror and admit their abject failure over the last number of years. That takes a strong personality, not one of the 'old boys' who's afraid to take on the players and more importantly the hierachy.

Speaking of which, where is this special inquiry, that was supposed to be set up? Just a piece of PR spin when the fans were ready to riot?
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 01, 2008 11:36 am

Hiddink would be my first choice but he is almost certainly not available.
Van Gaal would be my next choice. He would stir things up but he knows the Ajax system and got one team to perform at the highest level,but he was probably lucky that so many talented players were coming through in the early 90's.
Trouble is they always say never go back.He will be judged on 1995 and winning the CL is not going to happen for a very long time.
Ajax fans would just be pleased to qualify for the group stages!!

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Hiddink is not stranger to the Ajax "philosophy" as shown at the 98 Holland's superb WC.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Van Basten confirms Ajax talks - PA Sport

Holland coach Marco van Basten has confirmed he has held talks with a delegation from Eredivisie giants Ajax...

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/ind ... cid=105268

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » vr feb 01, 2008 4:18 pm

I am all for hiddink or van gaal. But I like very much also the idea of football of the dear old morten olsen.
we need a coach that kicks some asses, anyway, so hiddink or louis would be perfect
O tempora o mores

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr feb 01, 2008 5:05 pm

DanK schreef:Van Basten confirms Ajax talks - PA Sport

Holland coach Marco van Basten has confirmed he has held talks with a delegation from Eredivisie giants Ajax...

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/ind ... cid=105268
Here's a little more (from http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 80&cc=5901):
Euro 2008 will be Van Basten's final matches as national coach and he also spared a thought for his own future.

'I spoke with Ajax already and told them I am interested but the club said there also are other candidates,' he said.

'We made a second appointment but that will be with my agent and I will not be present.'
This is from an article about the selections for the Croatia match next week. I think it's interesting that van Basten said he was interested in the Ajax job. The way things are going within the Ajax management, that seems enough for them to just hand it over to him next year, even if they say they are considering another candidate. I really think van Basten will get the job if he wants it as Ajax will try to appease him rather than find the best coach.

Like most of you, he wouldn't be my first choice, but I would hope he would be an improvement over the last few years. My choices would be:
van Gaal, Hiddink, Co, and then probably van Basten
Laatst gewijzigd door gordonvandekamp op vr feb 01, 2008 9:40 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr feb 01, 2008 5:51 pm

It doesn't really matter who sign eventually. All coaches in the past had the perfect scenario at hand, and they all pretty much failed.

So, we simply can't predict which coach would be the best candidate for Ajax.

Ajax is rotten to the bone.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 01, 2008 6:52 pm

Koeman was a success for 2 and ahalf seasons with 2 titles and a quarter final CL. He did have some very good players though with Zlatan Maxwell
Chivu VDVaart.

As I said in another posting , once Heits Steks and KJH go this summer,
a new coach will be left with alot of young kids and a lot of dross.

It appears none of us want Marco but with Hiddink very unlikely it would seem that Co and Van Gaal may not be the boards top choices as they may not want ex coaches coming back.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm

They already brought back players so why not coaches now ? :pulp.gif:

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr feb 01, 2008 8:08 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:They already brought back players so why not coaches now ? :pulp.gif:
Well.. our wonderful chairman Mr. Jaakke already closed the door for Adriaanse in a shameless way.

Van Gaal is not very popular by some ancient Ajax residents (Cruijff for instance).

Koeman was really the only exeption in the last 10 years. Why? As said: he had a great bunch of players, bought by Leo Beenhakker. Beenhakker didn't follow Ajax policy, but used his own network to buy players.

So Beenhakker has been succesful for Ajax, but he did it in his own way. The years before and after Beenhakker were afwul.

Are those awful year coincidence? Of just a lack of proper policy?

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » za feb 02, 2008 10:34 am

Barcelona are in talks with Jose Mourinhio - so Rijkaard is definitely an option.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma feb 04, 2008 11:48 am

The Purple Cow schreef:Barcelona are in talks with Jose Mourinhio - so Rijkaard is definitely an option.
I would be pleased with that option, but truth be told I would be slightly worried that Rijkaard's record is inflated by the fact that he had all those great players.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind seeing Rijkaard, van Gaal, Co or Beenhakker at Ajax. Or Hiddink for that matter.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma feb 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Trouble is we are going to end up with Marco!!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma feb 04, 2008 7:11 pm

SPL schreef:Trouble is we are going to end up with Marco!!
My preference would be Hiddink, but here's where I think van Basten might be a good manager.

He has been criticised for not having Holland play well, but I think there is a possibly when working more closely, and more importantly for a longer period of time with a squad that he could develop an attractive attacking squad. Personally I think he maybe able to develop the team, which he can't really do with a national team. 38 games has to be better for this to happen then qualifiers...

He knows football. He's a smart guy. One of the best footballers of all time. His knowledge to pass onto players would be incredible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember too many complaints when he was with the A1 side.

One thing we cannot argue with the Dutch National Team is there defensive record. This needs fixing at Ajax. Maybe his time in Italy has rubbed off and this can transfer to the Ajax squad.

He knows the Ajax way.

He does and says what he wants. He's the boss and the players will know it. There is no chance he will take any shit.

He's van Basten. Menno I think you mentioned this to me the other night. Just seeing the guy on the side of the pitch will mean something. Its almost like having a Cruijff standing there. The guy is an Ajax legend, probably second to the throne behind JC himself.

We could do much worse. And at least he got Holland to qualify for the last 2 majors, this is something that van Gaal couldn't do...actually I am coming around to the idea of van Basten the more I think about it.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di feb 05, 2008 2:48 am

All good points, but sometimes the best players make the worst managers. The only exceptions I can think of might be Beckenbauer or Cruijff.

I just worry that MvB is going to buy crap players (would van Geel be able to stand up to him? It appears he couldn't do so with Ten Cate, so I don't know if he could to Marco) and the team is going to play catenaccio-style soccer.

But then again, if they win, a lot will be forgiven. That's how low expectations appear to have sunk.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma feb 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Sonny Silooy is leaving at seasons end and his place as A1 coach appears to be going to Frank De Boer.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 22, 2008 6:03 pm

will await official news but looks like Marco is our new man.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Thijs
Site Admin & Toto winner WC 2010

Bericht door Thijs » vr feb 22, 2008 6:12 pm

The news is confirmed on the official website.

Plaats reactie