Ajax Coaches

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr feb 22, 2008 7:48 pm

Thijs schreef:The news is confirmed on the official website.
Probably the worst kepy secret of the year this but still surpised that it's official already. Does this mean that Koster goes completely or will we retain him in some role.

If he is going, not sure whether that's good or bad for the current season. It could fire him up for a grandstand finish now that he's in the shop window as it were as a coach but on the other hand it could go completely the other way if he feels badly treated. I suppose this season is lost anyway and whatever else happens, MvB will hopefully offer a bit of badly needed stability.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr feb 22, 2008 8:27 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
Probably the worst kepy secret of the year this but still surpised that it's official already. Does this mean that Koster goes completely or will we retain him in some role.

If he is going, not sure whether that's good or bad for the current season. It could fire him up for a grandstand finish now that he's in the shop window as it were as a coach but on the other hand it could go completely the other way if he feels badly treated. I suppose this season is lost anyway and whatever else happens, MvB will hopefully offer a bit of badly needed stability.
Van Basten will start AFTER the European Championship in June/July.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr feb 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Here's a pretty good article about things:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=t ... &type=lgns
Van Basten to coach Ajax

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands (Ticker) - Marco van Basten on Friday signed a four-year deal to take charge of Ajax at the conclusion of Euro 2008 - but only after holding lengthy talks with club bosses about their plans for the Amsterdam giants.

The 43-year-old Holland coach, who had a spell overseeing Ajax reserves in the 2003/04 season, will succeed Adrie Koster at the Amsterdam ArenA and will begin work on July 1.

Van Basten’s assistants John van’t Schip and Rob Witschge will join him at Ajax.

“The goal is always the same at Ajax,” said Van Basten on the club’s official website. “But it is down to the coach as to how he achieves it.”

The former Ajax and AC Milan striker was clear on what he expects from the club’s board.

“For me it was important to assess beforehand what I would start with,” he added. “Because of that we had several talks about all kinds of things.

“I will not go deep into the agreements we have made but I can say that there is clarity about the transfer policy and that I know what I am getting into. And that has all been put on paper.”

Van Basten has a mixed record in charge of the Dutch national side since taking over from Dick Advocaat in 2004, although it is likely he will be judged ultimately by what happens at Euro 2008.

High-profile fall-outs with Clarence Seedorf, Mark van Bommel and Ruud van Nistelrooy, the latter of which has now been resolved, has cast doubt on his ability to deal with big-name players but he can point to the fact the Oranje have qualified for the 2006 World Cup finals and this summer’s European Championships as proof that his methods work.

He announced in December he would not be renewing his contract with the Dutch FA (KNVB) when it expires at the end of June.

He is confident he has made the right choice to return to Ajax after being impressed by the way the club conducted themselves during the negotiations.

“Everyone at Ajax wants to become a champion, certainly (technical director) Martin van Geel,” he said. “Van Geel gets a lot of criticism but I had excellent talks with him. That also applies to the board members.

“My agent Perry Overeem told me that he had the feeling in all the talks at which I wasn’t present that he was doing business with able and correct people.”

Van Geel was pleased to have got his man.

“We are delighted with the news,” he told the club’s official website. “They (Van Basten, Van’t Schip and Witschge) are three ambitious coaches with an Ajax pedigree and all three have had an international career as a player and now they also have enough experience as coaches.

“It’s also very good that we have clarity about the technical staff for the coming seasons.”

Under Koster, who has been in caretaker charge since Henk ten Cate quit the post in October to become part of Avram Grant’s backroom staff at Chelsea, Ajax is currently second in the Eredivisie, nine points behind defending champion PSV Eindhoven.
I think van Basten and van Geel's comments about transfer policy and clarity about the technical staff are about the best sign. It sounds like van Basten was probably pushing more control in these areas and Ajax is giving it to him. I think that's been one of the big problems. Let the technical minds handle the technical aspects, first and foremost, and the business aspects second. That's the only way to run a club that is successful on the pitch rather than one that is a successful business entity.

The successful business entity will come with success on the pitch. Why do you think Ajax has been one of the richest clubs since the early 70's? 4 European titles plays a lot into that.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr feb 22, 2008 9:54 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:

Yeah, I got that, that's why I was pondering that the news would either motivate or demotivate Koster until the end of the season. I know he was only expecting to stay till the end of the season as head coach but he still might have expected a job of some sort at the end of the season.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr feb 22, 2008 10:10 pm

I feel ok about this, I guess. I'm glad that there appears to be some clear delineation of roles on the technical side.

I just hope that Van Basten is able to find the right talent and doesn't end up being another R. Koeman when it comes to evaluating talent.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za feb 23, 2008 2:34 am

It says on the Ajax website:
Ajax.nl schreef:In the contracts, a mutual evaluation moment, that will take place after two seasons, has been included.
Does that mean he can bugger off after two seasons if he gets a better offer? Not meaning to be too cynical but we really do need someone to stick around for 4 or 5 years.

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » za feb 23, 2008 6:08 am

I like the signing of Van Basten very much. And not just for sentimental reasons. I think he did an amazing job with Oranje after the Dick Advocaat era. Beating the Chechs twice en route to Germany, inviting tons of new players to give them a chance, not giving in to undisciplined players like Nistelrooj en v Bommel. Scolari of Portugal was just a bit too much to ask but there is no real shame in that. I really hope they'll go far at the EC next summer to add something more tangible to his resume. Nobody can tell how we'll fare next season and onwards but my guess is we will have a lot more fun with Ajax than in recent years.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » za feb 23, 2008 12:16 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
GangstaRiB schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef: Probably the worst kepy secret of the year this but still surpised that it's official already. Does this mean that Koster goes completely or will we retain him in some role.

Yeah, I got that, that's why I was pondering that the news would either motivate or demotivate Koster until the end of the season. I know he was only expecting to stay till the end of the season as head coach but he still might have expected a job of some sort at the end of the season.
Oh ok. Koster is in some ways the perfect interim manager. He knows he is going to be replaced by someone else at the end of the season and he doesn't take this opportunity to launch himself as a headcoach of Ajax. He is just being modest.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Coaching an international team is surely very different from a club team!!

We cannot get any worse under him. We now have Ajax men back in charge and I am positive. I bet he and JC have already decided who to get rid of . (half the first team squad!!)

bryan

Bericht door bryan » za feb 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Bad appointment. It might work out, it might not... it's a gamble. And the club is willing to wait a full 10 months without a proper manager to appoint somebody with no club management experience and no trophies. What the fuck?

It would have been easier to get somebody with proven successful managerial experience who was willing to take over the reigns earlier. It could have given us a chance of winning the league this season. But no, we throw away this season in order to wait so we can appoint... a complete novice.

I'm sorry, I know he was a great player, but this is so dumb.

Once again PSV have out done us in terms of competency. They've gotten Huub Stevens (a damn good manager) in for next season, and in the meantime they have a decent manager (Sef Vergoosen) in charge, while we're stuck with Adrie Koster.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Co Adriaanse is unemployed RIGHT NOW.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » za feb 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I think Ajax have wanted for van Basten for some time.

van Baten's footballing brain isn't in question here. He knows what he wants and how to get it. He will demand respect, and he will get that. no doubt.

I think for the first time, the club is actually looking forward a few years. This is an appointment I have some faith in.

I just hope that I'm right.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » za feb 23, 2008 9:00 pm

One thing nobody ever questioned about MvB was his heart and guts. Best of luck and welcome home to him , John van't Schip, and Rob Witschge. :welcome: The coaching staff was definitely long on ability and heart as players.

I just hope they are able to surround themselves with a squad chock full of of skill and play for the crest on the front , not the name on the back, players.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » zo feb 24, 2008 5:04 am

bryan schreef:Bad appointment. It might work out, it might not... it's a gamble. And the club is willing to wait a full 10 months without a proper manager to appoint somebody with no club management experience and no trophies. What the fuck?

It would have been easier to get somebody with proven successful managerial experience who was willing to take over the reigns earlier. It could have given us a chance of winning the league this season. But no, we throw away this season in order to wait so we can appoint... a complete novice.
It's been pretty obvious for a while that Ajax wanted Marco to be the new coach next season. Even before HTC left. And Marco has 4 years of highest level experience more than Michels and Van Gaal had together when they started. Plus he's done well at Oranje. And then with JC in the background... What can go wrong?

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo feb 24, 2008 9:31 am

Dubbel schreef:What can go wrong?
Plenty. But I'm on your side with this one. Lets think positively.

:onfire.gif:

bryan

Bericht door bryan » zo feb 24, 2008 1:58 pm

And Marco has 4 years of highest level experience more than Michels and Van Gaal had together when they started.
Marco van Basten has been in charge for 26 full internationals.

Rinus Michels had five full seasons (180 games or so) in charge of amateur clubs, in the 1960s, when amateur clubs were important. He cut his teeth in management the hard way.

Louis van Gaal spent six full seasons (over 200 matches) as an assistant, learning the craft of management from others.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » di mar 04, 2008 6:11 pm

According to "Voetbal Report", Koster will join PSV after this season. He will be an assistant of Huub Stevens.

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » di mar 04, 2008 9:57 pm

So we have a clear conflict of interest next Sunday. It is clearly in Koster's long-term interest for Ajax to lose.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mar 04, 2008 11:47 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:So we have a clear conflict of interest next Sunday. It is clearly in Koster's long-term interest for Ajax to lose.
Why? If he's going there either way, what difference would it make if he wins or loses?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » wo mar 05, 2008 2:15 am

aveslacker schreef:
The Purple Cow schreef:So we have a clear conflict of interest next Sunday. It is clearly in Koster's long-term interest for Ajax to lose.
Why? If he's going there either way, what difference would it make if he wins or loses?
Champions League Football....i bet he would really like to be on the bench of a champions league team.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mar 05, 2008 10:02 am

Venezuelan Ajacied schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
Champions League Football....i bet he would really like to be on the bench of a champions league team.
I seem to remember we had the same situation with Huntelaar in his last game for Heerenveen....and that didn't stop him from scoring against us. Would it be in PSV's long-term interests to employ a coach who would deliberately throw the game??

This happens all the time in football, "officially" (ie where the move is open and agreed) or otherwise.

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » wo mar 12, 2008 10:59 am

Looks like Koster won't go to psv after this season

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo mar 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Van basten schreef:Looks like Koster won't go to psv after this season

Yeah I think that's good news, if for nothing more than how he should be treated by Ajax. They should at least make him feel like they want him there (if they do, or get rid of him), especially at this point in the season.

I hold the management mostly responsible for the issues this season (untimely transfers of both players and staff) and I just think it would have been a bad idea to not offer to keep Koster around in some fairly high-level position for next season.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do mar 13, 2008 9:40 am

Yep. Here's an article about it:
Koster confirms Ajax stay

Ajax coach Adrie Koster has confirmed he will stay on at the club as reserve team boss when Marco van Basten replaces him in the northern summer, ending speculation linking him with a move to PSV Eindhoven.

Full article:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/koster-c ... ay-108135/

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm

DanK schreef:
Yep. Here's an article about it:
Koster confirms Ajax stay

Ajax coach Adrie Koster has confirmed he will stay on at the club as reserve team boss when Marco van Basten replaces him in the northern summer, ending speculation linking him with a move to PSV Eindhoven.

Full article:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/koster-c ... ay-108135/
That's good news. If he was good enough for us to appoint him in the first place then it would be madness to chuck him just because he didn't have it to step up to a different job - especially to PSV....

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo jul 23, 2008 7:01 pm

I see Denis Bergkamp is back at Ajax. I take it he is spending the season with us as he gets his coaching badges. Is he likely to stay longer ie has his family moved back here if so he would look as if he is intending to hang around for ayear or 2!!

Press today believes DB wants to bring Arsenal youths over to join our youth teams. I hope this does not happen as it will be of no benefit to Ajax. Nacer Barazite is a young dutch kid at Arsenal but what benefit would it bring to us if he came to our squad for a year? I do not want Ajax to be the feeder of any club. I certainly do not want any of our youth teams having to field Arsenal kids . We have all of 1 non dutch in our senior youth squads ie a 17 year old greek goalie, who has lived in Amsterdam for 2 years, will be in the A2 youth team squad. (Kostas Peristerides)

If they send kids over the next thing is they will suggest we send Rodney
Sneijder Geoffrey Castillin over to Arsenal .

Main point of my posting is asking for comments about DB coming here.

Plaats reactie