coronavirus

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SPL

coronavirus

Bericht door SPL » za mar 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Just thought I would set up a post for us English speakers on this superb site for fans of this beautiful club.

I trust all of you around the world are ok and surviving. Here in UK we have panic buying in supermarkets and shelves are empty.Crazy people and its not just loo rolls that are short.

UK 's response seems a lot more laid back than the rest of Europe.

What's it like with the rest of you?

Ps 2 weeks ago since we last saw Ajax, seems more like 2 months. Think it could be 2 months before we see them again.

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Re: coronavirus

Bericht door raymon » za mar 21, 2020 9:09 pm

I’m in the UK and spacial distancing myself. Shops are a bit crazy but I expect that to improve soon (I mean, how much stockpiling could people do?!).

Other than that I foresee stricter measures to come in soon and equally people ignoring them. It’s going to be a long summer...
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo mar 22, 2020 11:30 am

Here in Taiwan things are mostly tranquil and normal. The govt has procedures learned from back in the SARS epidemic which they put into effect so everything was under control right from the start. Life goes on mostly as before. There are temperature monitoring stations at the entrance to all medical facilities and you have to wear a face mask in all public buildings and on all public transportation. Otherwise nothing seems changed. They are very efficient at identifying and isolating the 'positives' so there hasn't been a huge outbreak.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo mar 22, 2020 11:34 am

Forgot to mention that they have hand sanitizer dispensers at the entrance to many of the stores that people go to.

zeux

Bericht door zeux » zo mar 22, 2020 11:58 am

rjf1 schreef:
zo mar 22, 2020 11:30 am
Here in Taiwan things are mostly tranquil and normal. The govt has procedures learned from back in the SARS epidemic which they put into effect so everything was under control right from the start. Life goes on mostly as before. There are temperature monitoring stations at the entrance to all medical facilities and you have to wear a face mask in all public buildings and on all public transportation. Otherwise nothing seems changed. They are very efficient at identifying and isolating the 'positives' so there hasn't been a huge outbreak.
So the method is not a 'lockdown', but identifying 'positive' cases and isolating them. Through testing and temperature measuring.
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

raymon
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » zo mar 22, 2020 1:20 pm

zeux schreef:
rjf1 schreef:
zo mar 22, 2020 11:30 am
So the method is not a 'lockdown', but identifying 'positive' cases and isolating them. Through testing and temperature measuring.
Same in Hong Kong according to a client of mine.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo mar 22, 2020 6:11 pm

zeux schreef:
zo mar 22, 2020 11:58 am

Right - lockdown is for when you haven't done the testing and isolation early enough nor efficiently enough so that the disease has already become widespread to the point where lockdown is the only means of containing the uncontrolled spread.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo mar 22, 2020 8:49 pm

Semi-chaos depending on where you live in the US. In our state, Maryland, all restaurants, schools, bars, indoor shopping malls, work out gyms, and a couple of other places are closed. It is hit or miss when you go to the food market about what you will find. Most paper products, liquid hand soap, hand sanitizer, meat and poultry are not in stock. We have a specialty store, Whole Foods, that is owned by Amazon and they have good supplies of meat, poultry, vegetables and fruit. I do most of my shopping there as they have special opening for those over 60 years of age and they check your ID before you can enter the store. It means getting there at 0700 hrs but I'm up before that anyway and it's only a 5 minute drive from my house.

I'm retired from the biopharmaceutical industry and am using the time to track the development of new drugs and vaccines for the virus. I'm amazed by the sheer number of publications that are coming out of China. A lot of us who are retired have set up an email chat list to talk about this. I'm also following the epidemiology of the outbreaks. I'm not spending much time complaining about all the things that have gone wrong, those will fall into the lessons learned category. We don't know how long the lockdown is going to be here or if they will close more businesses.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma mar 23, 2020 1:51 pm

No self isolating in Uk this weekend ,people crowding the beaches ,parks ,even the mountains in Wales had queues going up them.

The supermarkets have hundreds of people queuing.And planes from China ,Italy and Iran still arrive.

Sadly Uk not taking this virus seriously enough and our weak government does not inspire confidence in me. The London tube is still running which I find crazy.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma mar 23, 2020 10:25 pm

SPL schreef:
ma mar 23, 2020 1:51 pm
No self isolating in Uk this weekend ,people crowding the beaches ,parks ,even the mountains in Wales had queues going up them.

The supermarkets have hundreds of people queuing.And planes from China ,Italy and Iran still arrive.

Sadly Uk not taking this virus seriously enough and our weak government does not inspire confidence in me. The London tube is still running which I find crazy.
NYC has finally started taking this pandemic seriously this past week and definitely since this past Saturday. Whole Foods in NYC has finally started forcing social distancing in the stores. They only allow a certain number of people in the store at a time and make the rest wait in line outside the store - in a socially distanced line.

We are now at about 12k COVID-19 +ve cases in NYC. Me and the wife have been WFH since last Monday, our 1st grader now has online school and we have an 8 month old running riot.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » di mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm

So for the US... Trump is already saying he will "open up" businesses to end the economic downturn... don't want to sound dramatic, but will he end the USA as we know it? How can he act so friggin' irresponsible? Most of the US residents don't have health insurance and they are in bad shape because of the fast-food diet...

The virus is still on the rise in the US, but you have that moron saying that it's okay for elderly to die so the economy can get back on its feet. Incredible...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di mar 24, 2020 12:40 pm

We have been locked down in Uk now after the crazy scenes on Sunday with thousands outside.

We can go out for food and can go out once a day for exercise.My wife and I will take the car go into our local countryside as we know places where we wont see people.

Not sure if they are going to stop big queues at supermarkets.

Mind the tube in London keeps going and pictures of people packed like sardines.London has the most cases but here where I live in the county called West Sussex ,on the south coast near Brighton, we have 26 known cases out of 850,000. We have to self isolate but London continues.Its a joke.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di mar 24, 2020 5:20 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
di mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm
So for the US... Trump is already saying he will "open up" businesses to end the economic downturn... don't want to sound dramatic, but will he end the USA as we know it? How can he act so friggin' irresponsible? Most of the US residents don't have health insurance and they are in bad shape because of the fast-food diet...

The virus is still on the rise in the US, but you have that moron saying that it's okay for elderly to die so the economy can get back on its feet. Incredible...
Trump and logic don't always go hand in hand. His claim about his successes in rooted in stock market gains over the last 3 years. Now that those gains have been completed wiped out - he's trying his best to have the markets go back up before this November's elections.

Now based on his actions, he clearly favors the stock market over people's lives or he's still not able to fathom how bad this will end up.

zeux

Bericht door zeux » di mar 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Amol schreef:
di mar 24, 2020 5:20 pm
GangstaRiB schreef:

Trump and logic don't always go hand in hand. His claim about his successes in rooted in stock market gains over the last 3 years. Now that those gains have been completed wiped out - he's trying his best to have the markets go back up before this November's elections.

Now based on his actions, he clearly favors the stock market over people's lives or he's still not able to fathom how bad this will end up.
Or he will go the Orban-route: declare a state of emergency, cancel the elections and claim that the US needs his 'steady' hand for the next four years as well...
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:

Trump is getting push back from members of his own party including some of the Congressional leaders. Most of the state governors, including ours here in Maryland, will disregard what the President says as they know their responsibility is to protect our health. It's a huge inconvenience but we are getting by OK. It hurts a bit when our daughter comes over for her weekly dinner and we cannot give her a hug. Our other daughter is a music therapist at Children's Hospital in San Francisco and is doing all she can to help keep the kids entertained as visits from anyone other than the mother or father are not allowed.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » di mar 24, 2020 9:07 pm

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
USA seeing somewhat of an explosion in infections. Is this due to more frequent testing or is the curve rapidly getting steeper?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di mar 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Dubbel schreef:
di mar 24, 2020 9:07 pm
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
USA seeing somewhat of an explosion in infections. Is this due to more frequent testing or is the curve rapidly getting steeper?
Curve is pretty much like other countries I've seen. Fortunately, we have not seen the same mortality rate that has been present in Italy. Because we have been so slow to do widespread testing, there is no understanding of what the true rate of infection is. Some experts believe that the infection number is 8-10 times that of what has been shown by testing. Italy has shown a decrease in new cases for the last three days. The other day I read a nice paper from a group of Italian and Greek scientists that modeled the original Lombardy outbreak. From their model they believe that the first infection was on January 21 and because of the March 8 lock down, the virus should fade out by the middle of May. We will have to look at the case number and if they continue at the current trajectory that may happen.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo mar 25, 2020 6:11 am

New York's Governor (Cuomo) got private companies to start testing about 10 days ago and we started seeing major spikes in cases identified. NY is testing more than all other states and therefore we have very high numbers. He has been very clear in his daily briefings and is leading from the front - unlike the Orange Man in DC.

NYC's Mayor (Di Blasio) on the other hand is generally terrible and has been terrible through this pandemic. The fool took too long to make a decision about schools - he should've given parents a choice to see if they wanted to keep kids at home instead of sending them to school. He also was until very recently going to public gyms every morning while telling the entire city to stay at home and practice social distancing.

NY State has a population of about 20 million people with 8 million people living in NYC. NYC has about 40-50% of the cases in the state which is about right. I expect these numbers to get much worse before they get better.

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » vr mar 27, 2020 8:13 pm

I'm sure you wouldn't consider it a far stretch if I say that modern day US politics is quite polarized and that this polarization is deeply rooted throughout US society. Trump, though an accelerator, is a mere exponent of that. In a nut shell; if you are a young conservative than all your friends will be red, a young democrats friends will be blue. The media you trust reflects that. This division continues at community level, between states and is painfully visible on Capitol Hill.

The difference in perception of the current crisis based on who and where in the US you are makes it fascinating to follow how the country deals with the upcoming avalanche of crises. I suspect that we won't look back at this as 'the Corona crisis' but as 'something that started with the Corona crisis'. I'm not too positive that this 'something' is going to be a good thing. It might be time for red en blue to start living in the same reality. Just in case.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo apr 29, 2020 11:16 am

Who changed the format of ajaxtalk.nl forum? We have a saying, don't fix something that isn't broken.
Anyway this lockdown is BS, nobody knows whether the virus would mutate or not, once they ease the lockdown. They should quarantine elderly/vulnerable people. The many shouldn't suffer for the few.

raymon
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » wo apr 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Ayman schreef:Who changed the format of ajaxtalk.nl forum? We have a saying, don't fix something that isn't broken.
Anyway this lockdown is BS, nobody knows whether the virus would mutate or not, once they ease the lockdown. They should quarantine elderly/vulnerable people. The many shouldn't suffer for the few.
It was broken thus we changed it.

I wouldn’t say the lockdown is bullshit, it’s mainly to manage the capacity of the health services. But it is at a great cost, correct.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » wo apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm

raymon schreef:
wo apr 29, 2020 9:18 pm
Ayman schreef:Who changed the format of ajaxtalk.nl forum? We have a saying, don't fix something that isn't broken.

I wouldn’t say the lockdown is bullshit, it’s mainly to manage the capacity of the health services. But it is at a great cost, correct.
The cost is not worth it, people are claiming 'inconvenience in their lives. They are downplaying it! That is disgusting. Kudos to Americans for standing up for their liberty

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do apr 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Ayman schreef:
wo apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm
raymon schreef:
wo apr 29, 2020 9:18 pm

The cost is not worth it, people are claiming 'inconvenience in their lives. They are downplaying it! That is disgusting. Kudos to Americans for standing up for their liberty
If you are over 70 years of age as I am you might have a different view of things. My background is in the pharma industry and for the past six weeks I have been reading almost every preprint I can find on drug/vaccine development and the clinical epidemiology of the virus. The most at risk are older people with other medical condition and if you live in an assisted living group environment you are in a bad place. In my state of Maryland, half of the deaths are in that population. There is also a marked incident in large clot strokes in people 25-35 years of age. As Ramon noted the initial lock down was to prevent a surge into the hospitals. In most places, that seems to be under control. He do have a cautionary story from the Japanese island of Hokkaido where they had things under control and then relaxed some of the controls only to see a second spike of infections that was the same size as the first wave.

There are no good answers here. In the US we have seen workers in meat processing plants get sick and the plants had to shut down. It is estimated that 25% of the beef processors are now closed. I think some places can open up but certainly not any were there would be large crowds in close contact. Life will be changed until we have a working vaccine.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » vr mei 01, 2020 8:53 am

Lockdown is not BS - absent a vaccine it is the only tool we have to prevent the wildfire spread of the disease - and it is not only older people who get infected - all segments of the population are affected.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr mei 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Lockdown is needed.Here in Uk our NHS is coping but our deaths are now about to overtake Italy and 2nd to USA. I read 15,000 a day still flying into the country everyday and not tested,this is crazy.

Lockdown will continue here for all of May although more shops and small businesses will start to open. I dont see Premier football restarting before August.How on earth can they talk about restarting when 700 still died yesterday.

It does feel surreal living like this.I live on the south coast and the region,called counties,West Sussex has only 1100 recorded cases out of 858,000 population.This is very small but would be a lot higher but for lockdown.

Plaats reactie