Litmanen's contract not extended

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Gesloten
Philippe
Contacteer:

Litmanen's contract not extended

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 29, 2004 1:03 pm

So Ajax decided not to extend Litmanen’s contract. An amazing and disappointing option, since he could at least have provided extra help in difficult circumstances next season. Ajax can be successful in international competitions only with a successful mixture of the many young talents with a few experienced players.
I think it was a mistake not to extend Richard Witschge’s contract for one more season, as it was clear during the first (and for us last) phase of the CL that we missed experienced players, especially for the last games.
Besides, it is a bad sign for other top class players who might feel like playing for Ajax again : “if you have problems, we will just let you down”.
Anyway, we can all get ready for a second and last farewell party for Jari.

mr_cooper

Bericht door mr_cooper » za apr 03, 2004 10:47 am

Ajax reserve skipper Jari Litmanen, who has been informed by the club that he will have to leave in the summer, says that he is not intending to hang up his boots at the end of the season.
Litmanen: "In principal I want to continue playing football. I still have a lot of pleasure in the game and I don't want to stop in this way." Were he will be applying his trade next term is unclear. Litmanen: "I am open for all suggestions. I have no preference for a particular club or land. Everyone can call me. I want to get back in action as soon as possible. My next match is the most important. I want still want to be able to contribute something for Ajax this term"

Philippe
Contacteer:

farewell party ? when ?

Bericht door Philippe » vr apr 09, 2004 1:12 pm

Litmanen leaving Ajax early
Friday, 09 April 2004
AFC Ajax have parted company with Finland striker Jari Litmanen with immediate affect.

Starting again
The 33-year-old had been told last month that his contract would not be renewed in the summer after a number of injury problems. However, the runaway leaders in the Netherlands have agreed to release him early to help him find a new club as soon as possible.

Final farewell
The club also added "a future co-operation between Jari Litmanen and Ajax in another function at the club remains still possible". Ajax are also examining ways of ensuring that Litmanen is given a suitable send-off in front of the Ajax fans.

Plenty of success
Ajax general manager Arie van Eijden said: "We regret that we have to part with Jari, but unfortunately physical problems in the last two years have not allowed him to fulfil everyone's hopes." Litmanen has achieved much in his two spells with Ajax, either side of his spells at FC Barcelona and Liverpool FC between 1999 and 2002, including four Eredivisie titles and three Dutch Cups.

Scoring return
His most successful year was 1995, when he helped the Amsterdam club to the domestic championship, the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA Super Cup and the European/South American Cup. Litmanen made his long-awaited return from injury for Finland last week, scoring in the 2-1 friendly victory against Malta, after shaking off an ankle problem.

Liberty
Contacteer:

Bericht door Liberty » vr apr 09, 2004 1:18 pm

This way he can play for FC Lathi. The Finnish competition begins in May. So he can get some rest and start training for FC Lathi.

Farewell Jari, we will miss you. :xyxthumbs: X'C
Tijd voor iets nieuws.

Gesloten