General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Amol

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door Amol » di jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Did Martinez read my earlier post? Brings on Mertens on for Dembele and sticks him on the RW and pulls De Bruyne into the AM role.

This should work.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di jul 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Alright - c'mon man. Why is Fellaini on the wing or on the pitch at all?

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di jul 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Martinez outfoxed by Deschamps.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Belgium go out conceding a goal off of a corner as Feilani lost his marker. I thought both Alderwiereld and Vertonghen had good games. Toby had a nice off foot shot that Lloris had to do a good job saving as he saw it late. 43% of the goals in the whole tournament have come off of free kick situations.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo jul 11, 2018 11:31 am

Just back from a very hot Jersey Channel islands. I did not bother to watch England v Sweden on Saturday but knew the score from the bar in the little harbour where we were.

I have to admit on Saturday I really did not feel like celebrating football. The 8th was Sunday but I could only think of
what happened on that Saturday last year.A beautiful sunny day Cricket in Arundel Castle ,came home via another cricket game to see my son's team win and then home. And the headline The World Prays for Appie.Football,even for an Ajax nut like me ,has not been the same since.

I will never apologise for going on about this kid so last Saturday when every other English fan on Jersey was going mad my thoughts were on this beautiful kid. I just raised my glass to Appie and hope he will someday awake and know his family.

He touched my heart, silly old sod that I am.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » wo jul 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Last night France pulled a Mourinho plan, similar to that of ManU against us in the Europa League Final in 2017. Belgium did slightly better than us and are out. I can't stand the cynical approach, such as France these days, Italy in past etc
May the Force be with you

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

souras84 schreef:Last night France pulled a Mourinho plan, similar to that of ManU against us in the Europa League Final in 2017. Belgium did slightly better than us and are out. I can't stand the cynical approach, such as France these days, Italy in past etc
I was just thinking of that this morning. I think positional switching is definitely required to overcome this. ManU did this to us by blocking out all outlet passes out of defense and leaving Sanchez open. France did the same thing by blocking all outlet passes from defense and letting Chadli have all the possesion.

Zonal Marking says it much nicer than I did - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 41666.html

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo jul 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Zonal Marking is spot on as usual. 11tegen11 also shows that France had some slight advantages: https://twitter.com/11tegen11?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw I think Martinez made some tactical blunders in this match but in part he had no choice because Meunier was suspended. I didn't think the suspension would be so important but Chadli really was not as dangerous a player. de Bruyne and Lukaku could never get into the game. Pogba was really important defending.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » do jul 12, 2018 3:54 am

'You are coming home, but without the World Cup'

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm

England had an easy draw and overachieved.Last night they had chances but Croatia were the better side and had more quality in midfield.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do jul 12, 2018 3:25 pm

IMHO, Colombia with James Rodriguez would've beaten England.

This was the first strong midfield which they faced and their 3-3-2-2 (which to me really is a 3-5-2/5-3-2) was over run in midfield once their wingbacks were pegged back by Crotia's wingers. Also since the wingbacks were pinned back, the Croatian wingbacks had the entire touchline to run up and down on.

Of course, zonalmarking and 11tegen11 write about it much better than I do -
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 43526.html

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/10 ... 3166474241

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » zo jul 15, 2018 1:02 am

Took the train to Belgium this Saturday to experience some of their World Cup atmosphere during the game against England.

Good to see that Toby Alderweireld is highly appreciated.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo jul 15, 2018 3:06 am

Toby made what was at the time a game saving incredible clearance off the goal line in the win vs England. Another cool thing about that game was that Toby, Jan Verthongen, and Thomas Vermaelen were all on the pitch for the final thirty minutes.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo jul 15, 2018 10:47 am

I am still a big Vertonghen fan,hope he returns home in the next couple of years.

A Belgium v France final would have seen the 2 best sides playing.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma aug 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Don't know where to put this but the US sports website fivethirtyeight.com has statistical projections for the current Eredivisie season as well as rankings of all Global football teams. Ajax are ranked #37 in the global ranking: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/gl ... id=irpromo and are projected to win the league this season: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... redivisie/

We shall see if this holds up.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » di aug 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Orange14 schreef:Don't know where to put this but the US sports website fivethirtyeight.com has statistical projections for the current Eredivisie season as well as rankings of all Global football teams. Ajax are ranked #37 in the global ranking: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/gl ... id=irpromo and are projected to win the league this season: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... redivisie/

We shall see if this holds up.
I bet they didn't watch the Heracles match before reaching their conclusion.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Ajax women advance to the round of 16 in the UEFA ladies Champions League, knocking out Sparta Prague. First time they have made it this far.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Marcel Keizer has taken over as manager at Sporting in Portugal. The club was in turmoil at the end of last season with supporters in open revolt against players and management. Club is in third place right now a point above Benfica.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma dec 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Nations League semi-final draws took place this morning.

The Dutch have been drawn against England and Portugal drew Switzerland. I expect to see a Netherlands vs Portugal final.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » di dec 04, 2018 11:58 am

Switzerland might surprise you -- they looked pretty good in their last game,

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » di dec 18, 2018 12:22 am

Matthijs de Ligt receives 'Golden Boy Award' (voted best player Under 21 years).

First time ever a defender wins the price.
In 2003 the first edition was won by an Ajax player and now the most recent one also:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/ajax-st ... ddfos1syrv

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di dec 18, 2018 2:17 pm

de Ligt deserves this ,simply the best young defender in the world,will be impossible to replace.

Way back in August 2016 , still aged 16,he debuted for Jong Ajax and I just sat watching thinking this kid is way too good for this level.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » zo dec 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Peter Bosz has been appointed as the coach of Bayer Leverkusen. Good luck

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo dec 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Ayman schreef:Peter Bosz has been appointed as the coach of Bayer Leverkusen. Good luck
And Frank de Boer may be the next manager of MLS Cup champion Atlanta FC over on this side of the ocean.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo dec 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Frank has gone to Atlanta .A bit of a cultural shock as he lives in the sleepy old harbour village of Monnickendam north of Amsterdam. He evidently turned down Anderlecht so not sure how American soccer will improve his CV.Taking Anderlecht back to the Belgium title might have been better.

Plaats reactie