LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » di feb 08, 2005 6:41 pm

A very happy new year!!
I think I lost my fucking headache

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » di feb 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Geez, what a nice bag, I'm feeling home already. :xyxthumbs:
but is this allowed? I mean, Lucas and Zitgaar were talking about the japs new year? Do I have to wish Lucas a good Year... AGAIN? :blush:

Or may we go off topic in here? Well in that case... :worshippy: I :loveboard AjaxUSA!!!
I'M NOT A COMPLETE IDIOT!
...some parts are missing

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Dr. Living Stoned schreef:Or may we go off topic in here? Well in that case... :worshippy: I :loveboard AjaxUSA!!!
This is the only place where everything off-topic is actually on-topic...

:xyxthumbs:

K.
Still alive...

SylvievdVaart

Bericht door SylvievdVaart » di feb 08, 2005 8:45 pm

And a Merry Christmas for everybody! :xmas:

I'm early this year! :yes: Oh, and have a nice summervacation!
so you're a tough guy, like it really rough guy, just can't get enough guy, chest always so puffed guy

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » di feb 08, 2005 9:07 pm

Ah love that "All freedom feeling" in here. :xyxthumbs: So i can say something like: I once caught a fish THIS big without you questioning my mental abillities? This is almost too good to be true.

Hey Silvie, you were off topic! and so am I. :D

on a serious note, this bag is fun, no doubt about it, but since you don't like peeps to go off topic, what do you do when the topic gets off-topic?

maybe a polite way to get rid of my... ehm OUR garbage-postings is a Garbage bin Zone, in that way you dont have to delete postings, cos you can't add them to this nice thread.

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di feb 08, 2005 9:12 pm

New thread lurking in the darkness:

Doggie Bag of Rabid Posts.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

SylvievdVaart

Bericht door SylvievdVaart » di feb 08, 2005 9:12 pm

Dr. Living Stoned schreef:Hey Silvie, you were off topic! and so am I. :D
Yeah you bet I was you doctor Live and Stoned! :yes:

Freedom in here!

Freedom, I won't let you down
Freedom, I will not give you up
so you're a tough guy, like it really rough guy, just can't get enough guy, chest always so puffed guy

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » di feb 08, 2005 9:31 pm

666 schreef:New thread lurking in the darkness:

Doggie Bag of Rabid Posts.
oh damn, misspelled treats, right? :blush:

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di feb 08, 2005 9:40 pm

Two more pages of this drivel and Ko et al. will seek refuge here.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » di feb 08, 2005 9:50 pm

666 schreef:Two more pages of this drivel and Ko et al. will seek refuge here.
So why don't you leave them alone for a while, so that they can find their way on this forum? There's no reason for us to chat in English and disturb them. :eusa_pray:
Het stinkt aan alle kanten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 08, 2005 9:59 pm

joey schreef:So why don't you leave them alone for a while, so that they can find their way on this forum? There's no reason for us to chat in English and disturb them. :eusa_pray:
Seriously - that's a very good point.

I am not annoyed by your 'drivel' at all. It's perfectly fine with me. I'm not interested in it either (makes threads very un-interesting to read, to be honest), but I'm not annoyed by it.

But our discussions at SoccerPages were always very much 'to the point' and seriously about football 99% of the times. Even the stuff in the 'Grab bag' almost always had a point and a more or less relevant subject. Almost no-one seemed to regard the board as a place where you talk nonsense and have silly cheeky dialogues with one another.

Ideally I would like the English Zones to be a place for high-quality Ajax discussions. I know the Ajax USA community likes it that way. Some of them may actually lose interest if there's too much nonsense in the English Zones - or discussion about social/political issues. I think that's not what the average Ajax USA'er prefers.

So indeed: maybe the appropriate Dutch Zone is a better place for cheeky dialogues with no subjects in particular: I mean, all of the people who seem to be up for that are Dutchies anyway. I think the average Ajax USA visitor is not annoyed by it, but not amused either.

K.
Still alive...

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » di feb 08, 2005 10:10 pm

Well, I don't think Ko will go for any German site. :)

Why we created AT had also a lot to do with the way things were run on AM and I really hope posting dont get deleted here.

As one of the "founding fathers" [that sounds great, doesnt it] of this site I hope peeps can go off topic without being yelled to, or have their postings deleted. Mods are there to clean up and guide people to the right zone.

but that's just my thoughts.

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » di feb 08, 2005 10:20 pm

Doc, Ko made himself quite clear. No off-topic posting in the English zones.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 08, 2005 10:20 pm

Dr. Living Stoned schreef:Why we created AT had also a lot to do with the way things were run on AM and I really hope posting dont get deleted here.
Who ever talked about deleting posts...? Not me.
Dr. Living Stoned schreef:As one of the "founding fathers" [that sounds great, doesnt it] of this site I hope peeps can go off topic without being yelled to, or have their postings deleted. Mods are there to clean up and guide people to the right zone.
Yeah - and that's exactly what I'm doing. I direct discussions/conversations that are not about Ajax or football to the 'Grab Bag' thread. Over here you are welcome to talk about anything you want.

I'm just suggesting (and I do it very kindly) that if you're having a cheeky little dialogue about nothing with some of the Dutch Ajax Talkers, the Dutch-language zones may be the 'place to be' for you.

I mean: you don't chat in English with your Dutch friends in pubs, do you? ;)

K.
Still alive...

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » di feb 08, 2005 11:39 pm

I would chat in english if one of my friends were only understanding english.

and yes you were yelling at me, at least it looked that way in the "about this forum"-threat. The words lame, prejudice and generalizations were a bit un-nice and not like the way mods functions at AT.
Here the people make the topics and the mods do the cleaning up, not the other way around.

The thing about a no-off topic policy is only going to work if you can clean up the topics, because there will be off topic posting. They will lead to more off topic discussion and that isn't what you want or is it? Brings us to another prolem, phpBB doesnt have the "Add postings to threat", so were do you leave those off topic postings? No other option then to delete those, or am i forgetting something?

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » di feb 08, 2005 11:57 pm

:sleepey: :nooo:

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » wo feb 09, 2005 12:02 am

it getting late huh? Anyway, have a nice trip joey.

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » wo feb 09, 2005 12:39 am

It's perfectly clear:

Kowalczyk schreef:I'm just suggesting (and I do it very kindly) that if you're having a cheeky little dialogue about nothing with some of the Dutch Ajax Talkers, the Dutch-language zones may be the 'place to be' for you.

I apologize to all Ajax-usa- posters for this unfortunate discussion. :sad:

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » wo feb 09, 2005 1:51 am

OK kids, listen. All of you.

Pointless chatter about nothing is an important part of dutch social life, and now that Ajax-USA got itself entangled in the .nl part of the web, you'd better get used to it. When it comes to non-football talk, AjaxTalks moderators lead the pack. You'll find three admins and a former moderator among the top 5 posters, and they didn't reach their 7000+ post counts by anti-Koeman rants alone.

The policy on off-topic chatter has always been 'go ahead, but only in the designated sections.' Like all rules in the netherlands, the off-topic rule is not strictly enforced. Reasonable amounts of off-topic silliness are tolerated throughout the forum. Only when things go beyond reasonable, 343 pulls out his scissors and boots the offending posts into the dark dungeons of 'het rommelhok.'

And now we have a small but growing problem. There is no english 'rommelhok' or 'klein cafe.' Just a grab bag that doesn't seem to be big enough for its new job.

That spells trouble, because by finding shelter in the english zones of AjaxTalk, the former Ajax-USA gained 600+ members. And most of the new members are dutch. And they will behave like dutch.

The crowd got bigger, noisier, more diverse, and way less disciplined. Rules and traditions that used to work back then may not necessarily go down well in the new format.

Imo, the merger wil only succeed if:

The AjaxTalk regulars accept that the former, almost excusively dutch version of AT has grown into a larger international community, and behave accordingly;

and:

The Ajax-USA regulars accept that ATs english section is not a carbon copy of the former Ajax-USA discussion board.

We can't have two separate communities with different sets of rules. Different languages aside, we're all in one AjaxTalk. The dutch will be part of the english section and they'll take their culture with them. And vice versa. I'll leave it to the mods to figure out how to fine-tune the merger, but it's obvious that the job's not done yet.

My advice to reduce future trouble:

Split the 'not the nine o'clock' section into an Ajax/Football discussion part and an 'everything else' grab bag of random threads. A single grab bag of random posts has already proven itself inadequate to the task and we're still on page one. Imagine what this thread will be like in a month or two.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

BPBlueSox
Contacteer:

Bericht door BPBlueSox » wo feb 09, 2005 2:16 am

Split the 'not the nine o'clock' section into an Ajax/Football discussion part and an 'everything else' grab bag of random threads. A single grab bag of random posts has already proven itself inadequate to the task and we're still on page one. Imagine what this thread will be like in a month or two.

I personally think that's a good idea. :aai:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 8:12 am

I don't see the problem, to be honest.

This thread was created especially for everything that's got nothing to with football in general (we have a General Football thread for that) or Ajax in particular (all other threads are for that).

The Doc can post whatever he wants in this one. No problem. No annoyance.

Seriously.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 8:25 am

666 schreef: The Ajax-USA regulars accept that ATs english section is not a carbon copy of the former Ajax-USA discussion board.
Absolutely. 100% accepted.

Once again: this thread is the designated place for off-topic discussions - and I have no intention whatsoever to delete any of the postings in this thread that have been posted so far.

If you ask me we don't need a special zone for off-topic stuff, though. We had such a zone on SoccerPages - and not a single Ajax USA'er ever posted there. All they did was talk Ajax in the Ajax Zone.

So, if you create an English-language Kleine Café or Rommelhok, it will be almost exclusively used by Dutch Ajax Talkers speaking English to each other... Which would be rather silly. But still fine with me, except that someone else will have to moderate it, because I don't feel like it. Don't want to read other people's chatter and political pub-talk. I never visit the Dutch Debat zone either. Depresses me.

I think Jim feels the same way - and I think that the native speakers of English on this board will hardly use the new zone, which will effectively turn it into a place where Dutchies speak English to each other. But once again: if you think Ajax Talk needs it - go ahead.

:xyxthumbs:

It seems a much better idea to me to make the Rommelhok a multi-lingual zone, where Doc and the others can start all kinds of random threads (political stuff, cosy chatter) in Dutch, English - and for all I care in Chinese and Swahili, too. That way the English Zones can remain 'to the point', 'cos that's what almost everyone (including the Dutch mod team, I can assure you) would prefer.

K.
Still alive...

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 8:42 am

It seems to me that just wait and see what happens is best in this situation. The 'locals' are a big group and so are the former ajaxusa-posters. Inevitably those groups will be influenced by each other, since they're not completely seperated from each other.. It seems to me that it's impossible right now to predict what exactly will happen. I think -and hope- both groups gain from each others customs and habbits...If at any point there will be need for a bigger non-ajaxitems zone in the English section it can be created at that moment.
I think I lost my fucking headache

Plaats reactie