Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Re: Grab Bag Of Random Posts

Bericht door #14 » za okt 18, 2014 2:31 am

Amsterdam is quite compact and, being a NYer with the amount of walking I imagine you do, you'll find it easily in your wheelhouse.

Jordaan is not far from the very center at all. Quite residential and not entirely unlike Chelsea. Tends to have fewer hotels tho. The Pulitzer is well located and actually quite close to Jordaan. De Pijp is a good bit further from the very center.

I'm a huge fan of Vondelpark - a bit more of a walk to the very center than Jordaan but a very easy trip by tram. Check out Hotel Parkview, Vondelgarden Apartments, and B&B Emma Ln.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » za okt 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks #14 and Cruijff (for your pm's). All great info.

I'm used to walking 4-6 miles a day - so I'm guessing I should be fine walking about in Amsterdam. I love Dutch beer (drink a lot of that whenever I visit Aruba). So can take breaks for beer :)

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za okt 18, 2014 6:58 pm

On staying I read trip advisor comments and for the 4 star hotels were all fairly poor.In the end we stayed in Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam South.Although only 3 star but every comment was very good about it and they were right it was very comfortable and Service was 5 star. Main point in mentioning this is that the tram/metro stop was 100 metres away and they ran every 5 mins. This was from just south of Amsterdam Zuid station and took 20 mins to the centre.

Thus you may pick a hotel further out but if its on a tram route you will be in the centre in minutes.

If you want a half day out the city then Volendam Marken and Edam are very easy to get to.Buses outside Central Station and get a10 euros rover ticket ie hop on and off.Buses are frequent and it takes 25 mins to get to Volendam.Edam,5 mins further on from Volendam does not have the tourists of the other 2 and we found it beautiful, quiet little streets,little lifting bridges over the canals. All Tourists go to Volendam harbour ,which is full of restaurants and souvenir shops, but seem to avoid the far more beautiful little town of red cheese balls fame.

These are my 2 pennies worth having just been there. Have a great time and hope you get to see a game.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » za okt 18, 2014 7:10 pm

SPL schreef:On staying I read trip advisor comments and for the 4 star hotels were all fairly poor.In the end we stayed in Hoilday Inn Express Amsterdam South. Only 3star but every comment was very good and they were right.Service was 5 star from reception. Main point in mentioning this is that the tram/metro stop was 100 metres away and they ran every 5mins. This was from just south of Amsterdam Zuid station and took 20 mins to the centre.

Thus you may pick a hotel further out but if its on a tram route you will be in the centre in minutes.
Correct it seems like a lot of 4 star hotels get very lazy and don't do anything more for their guests as long as they don't lose that star. Many 3 star hotels give better service and look 'fresher' in the bed rooms.

Near the Amsterdam Zuid area is a very convenient location. Good connection to the city centre and the Schiphol - Amsterdam Zuid train ride takes only a 6 minutes. To Amsterdam Arena it's also just 6 or 7 minutes by train. But I would prefer renting an AirBnB/Homeaway appartment or house in De Pijp or De Jordaan. Then it will really feel like you're living in the middle of Amsterdam with your family during these 5 or 6 days! :biggthumpup.gif:

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » za okt 18, 2014 7:16 pm

SPL schreef:Main point in mentioning this is that the tram/metro stop was 100 metres away and they ran every 5 mins. This was from just south of Amsterdam Zuid station and took 20 mins to the centre.

Correct the tram ride is about 20 minutes and nice things too see on the route as well! :biggthumpup.gif: The metro / subway has line 51 going towards Amsterdam Central station and that one brings you much faster to the city centre. Amsterdam Zuid - Waterlooplein takes about 7 or 8 minutes with the underground.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma okt 20, 2014 3:31 am

I'm a little bit jealous. Have a great time. Hope you get to a match and it's a good one. :headbang.gif: :headbang.gif: :headbang.gif: :onfire.gif: :onfire.gif: :onfire.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma okt 20, 2014 11:20 am

I'm jealous also. The last time I saw a live Ajax match (did see the friendly here in DC a couple of years ago after the season was over but I don't count that one) was the final matchday in 1978 when Ajax beat Twente at home 4-1. Wow, was that a lot of years ago, I need to get back to Amsterdam soon!!!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma okt 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks SPL & Cruijff (again). We're leaning towards renting from Airbnb/Homeaway. I'll look for places close to a tram stop.

Orange14 - Actually that friendly in DC was the only live in-person Ajax game I've seen!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma okt 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Well I was only there last month and I want to go back asap. Going to the Arena just for the Ajax shop and not taking in a game was not the same.My wife says I can go over in the spring to take in a game so I am going to plan to do that.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » ma okt 20, 2014 6:58 pm

SPL schreef:My wife says I can go over in the spring to take in a game so I am going to plan to do that.
The wife understands what you need!!
SPL schreef:Well I was only there last month and I want to go back asap. Going to the Arena just for the Ajax shop and not taking in a game was not the same.
You post in this topic that you were staying just a bit south of Amsterdam Zuid train station... Then you were less than 700 meters from the Olympic Stadium!!

Remind me to take you inside the stadium next time. There is even a possibility to kick a football on the pitch.

Afbeelding

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jan 02, 2015 8:30 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I got this from a poster over at BigSoccer. It's long and in Dutch, but well worth picking your way through if you have the time and the inclination.

http://www.tussendelinies.nl/vijf-seizo ... ciele-reus
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jan 02, 2015 2:05 pm

aveslacker schreef:Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I got this from a poster over at BigSoccer. It's long and in Dutch, but well worth picking your way through if you have the time and the inclination.

http://www.tussendelinies.nl/vijf-seizo ... ciele-reus
An accurate description of what has been going on over the last five years. I look at the financials every year when they are reported and the club is doing quite well. Obviously the there is a limit to growth because of limited television and merchandise revenues. They cannot command the same level of sponsorship as Bayern (who sell sponsorship of everything that a label can be slapped on). The only way to keep things going are to limit expenditures on transfers and qualify for CL football. Also remember that poor performance by the Dutch #2 team (never making the group stage) means that Ajax get all the money.

On another note, if anyone wants to follow football fianance on a regular basis they should follow The Swiss Ramble: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/ who covers teams in depth. He just posted on Man U and Everton (most of his writing is about EPL teams but he has written about Ajax in the past).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » za jan 03, 2015 12:45 am

On my visit to the Arena last month I noticed one really weird thing. I could not buy any Ajax stuff inside the Arena.

I think small things like this make a difference. The only place I could've bought a jersey was outside the Arena and it shut down at 6:30pm. Most evening games start at 8:45pm.

I just thought that we need to better at these simple things and I understand that this will only be a drop in the merchandising budget.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di aug 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Our neighbor's daughter, Katie Ledecky, just won five gold medals at the world swim championships in Russia. She will be favored to win several at next year's Rio Olympic Games. :blub.gif:

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » di aug 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Orange14 schreef:Our neighbor's daughter, Katie Ledecky, just won five gold medals at the world swim championships in Russia. She will be favored to win several at next year's Rio Olympic Games. :blub.gif:

Get outta here! Really? She's a neighbor? I watched Kazan 2015 WC and indeed she was the star of the tournament! Congrats to her and her family. I will certainly be watching next years Olympics where hopefully she will deliver. I also like Missy Franklin a little, so I might be rooting for her also... :blush.gif:
May the Force be with you

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 26, 2016 10:07 am

Appie, stay strong !

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di apr 12, 2016 10:58 am

A big story over here is that a big celebrity with a big celebrity wife has been found out cheating on her but has a court order so the press cannot reveal his name. The Scots can broadcast his name and indeed every other country but England.His name is evidently the talk of USA and all over the internet.

I am sure its my least favourite footballer and person Beckham so maybe someone can confirm? My wife said post this ,neither of us can think of anyone else but this overhyped ego .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di apr 12, 2016 12:16 pm

I just did a google on 'David Beckham cheating' here in the US and nothing new comes up, just some year old links.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di apr 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Try searching Twitter with hashtag "PJS" (how one of the celebs is identified in the injunction).
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di apr 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:Try searching Twitter with hashtag "PJS" (how one of the celebs is identified in the injunction).
Certainly not David Beckham!!! :biggrin.gif:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di apr 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Orange14 schreef: Certainly not David Beckham!!! :biggrin.gif:
Nope he doesn't even have "Blue Eyes".
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di apr 12, 2016 2:06 pm

I've google PJS so know who it is.Disappointed its not Beckham . If the identities were published in England ,most people will say who cares .

We can now go back to more important matters like .AFC Ajax

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di jan 31, 2017 5:08 pm

This will be fun for the "old guard" here... I've been doing some research on Eddy Hamel, and this lead me (again) to the Way, Way Back Machine, which has a fairly extensive archive of the old Ajax USA site. https://web.archive.org/web/20040201224 ... /index.jsp. So many good feels, browsing those pages, especially the 'Rendezvous in Amsterdam' page. :ajaxscarf.gif: I miss those days...
Mark it 8, Dude.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » di jan 31, 2017 5:56 pm

@ ajaxusa:

:biggthumpup.gif:

You are still very welcome to come again for a trip and combine that with one or two Ajax games! :biggthumpup.gif:

grachtdog
Contacteer:

Bericht door grachtdog » zo feb 11, 2018 4:01 am

Just a shot in the dark: Has anyone ever come across the piano music for the "Ajax March" tune? I would love to be able to play that one.

g-
XXX

Plaats reactie