Ajax on Television (+ Webcasts, YouTube etc.)

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: Ajax on Television (+ Webcasts, YouTube etc.)

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 07, 2021 2:29 am

I read on another board that ESPN on the US won't be carrying Dutch league games. This is really disappointing. I am not sure whether I will have any alternatives. I guess they have v their plate full with Spanish league games.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Freestreams-live.1.com has worked well for me last season and even for a couple of friendlies ie both the Leeds games were on it.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo aug 08, 2021 12:23 am

I'm stuffed too this means. I usually can't watch the live games because of the time difference. ESPN in the US was the only channel that carried replays on demand.

I used to watch on Fox NL, but I haven't been able to get access to espn.nl because it's only available with a Dutch cable TV subscription (I asked to "borrow" an access code on the Dutch section but didn't get any replies).

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » zo aug 08, 2021 2:01 am

Orange14 schreef:
za aug 07, 2021 2:29 am
I read on another board that ESPN on the US won't be carrying Dutch league games. This is really disappointing. I am not sure whether I will have any alternatives. I guess they have v their plate full with Spanish league games.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
This is likely correct as I checked ESPN plus a few days ago and didn’t see the eredivisie listed anymore among the leagues and this now pretty much confirms it. Do we know if anyone else picked up the rights? Extremely disappointing as now I have to play around with different streams and won’t be able to watch in the tv and also will be unable to stream games later. If true, I will definitely cancel my subscription and make sure they know the reason. I see they still carry tue Belgian league. The fuck….

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo aug 08, 2021 3:14 am

ESPN has the rights until 2025.

It’s like the bad old days around the early 2000s where cable networks had the eredivisie rights but never broadcast anything.

At least we have streams for the live games. Some of the kickoffs are at 3 a.m. in my timezone though.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo aug 08, 2021 7:55 am

Tom_ schreef:
zo aug 08, 2021 3:14 am
Some of the kickoffs are at 3 a.m. in my timezone though.
Same problem here. I missed at least half the games last season because of it.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo aug 08, 2021 11:54 am

Over here premiersports has Dutch rights but only shows every other Ajax game live so I did not bother.I notice they have no Dutch football on next week so will stick to streams.Firstrow was good last night and I do get luck with Freesteams-live 1.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » zo aug 08, 2021 3:36 pm

Weirdly enough I somehow found myself on a youtube page which claims to have the Eredivisie for this season -

https://tv.youtube.com/browse/eredivisi ... T-IkDRYg6g

Only trouble is that I don't think they're showing very many games.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo aug 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Tom_ schreef:
zo aug 08, 2021 3:14 am
ESPN has the rights until 2025.

It’s like the bad old days around the early 2000s where cable networks had the eredivisie rights but never broadcast anything.

At least we have streams for the live games. Some of the kickoffs are at 3 a.m. in my timezone though.
Those are the rights for televising in The Netherlands. ESPN USA only had a three year contract for the games over here. That contract has expired. ESPN lost the Italian games to CBS but picked up the Spanish league to pair up with the Bundesliga. It may be they feel that there is too much soccer programming and Ajax/Feyenoord/AZ (those were pretty much the only teams they covered last year) matches are not worth the investment.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo aug 08, 2021 4:47 pm

Amol schreef:
zo aug 08, 2021 3:36 pm
Weirdly enough I somehow found myself on a youtube page which claims to have the Eredivisie for this season -

https://tv.youtube.com/browse/eredivisi ... T-IkDRYg6g

Only trouble is that I don't think they're showing very many games.
While interesting, it requires a full subscription to YouTube TV at $65/month which I won't pay. It will take something like the Internet effort of several years ago, 'NGSN', who bundled several lesser leagues for about $10/month. They carried high quality streams of dutch games but ran afoul of rights to one or more of the leagues they were carrying. I'm not sure that there is anyone out there trying to do this.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » zo aug 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Tom_ schreef:
zo aug 08, 2021 12:23 am
I'm stuffed too this means. I usually can't watch the live games because of the time difference. ESPN in the US was the only channel that carried replays on demand.

I used to watch on Fox NL, but I haven't been able to get access to espn.nl because it's only available with a Dutch cable TV subscription (I asked to "borrow" an access code on the Dutch section but didn't get any replies).
Let me check what I can do.
My login for ESPN isn't working anymore for a long time. Already since FOX Sports became ESPN the login doesn't work. I think I will call them during the week and when I have a working username and password again I can share it.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma aug 09, 2021 4:07 pm

One approach that I heard about over on the Big Soccer forum is to us IPTV (internet protocol TV) to stream Dutch league games. I'm still in the research phase but my understanding is that I don't need any additional hardware with Windows 10 as you can stream IPTV channels with VLC media player which I have installed for playing DVDs and downloaded media. There is this UK site: http://myiptvbox.live/ that says they are carrying Eredivisie matches along with other leagues as well. What I don't understand is whether they pay a license fee to the EPL and other leagues for match feeds. 40 pounds per year seems too low a price to me but maybe it is correct.

If anyone has had experience with IPTV, please post here. Thanks.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di aug 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Cross your fingers US supporters. ESPN+ schedule is showing the Ajax-NEC match on Saturday. It's the Spanish language feed but that doesn't bother me as 'yo hablo espanol'

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » di aug 10, 2021 11:20 pm

very strange but looks like there will be a stream after all. they are also showing the psv game. I was reading somewhere that the broadcasting agreement expired in late July so they must have extended but strange that it’s only in spanish. not complaining!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo aug 11, 2021 12:30 am

Orange14 schreef:
zo aug 08, 2021 4:41 pm
Those are the rights for televising in The Netherlands. ESPN USA only had a three year contract for the games over here. That contract has expired.
Thanks Orange, that makes more sense. I assumed the US rights were linked to the broadcast rights in the Netherlands.
Orange14 schreef:
ma aug 09, 2021 4:07 pm
My understanding is that they are essentially capturing and streaming satellite TV. They don't say which channels are available but they do have a free 48 hour trial.

I doubt it's legit/licensed (that doesn't bother me). I guess if you can get it on IPTV you can also find an internet stream.
Cruijff schreef:
zo aug 08, 2021 8:31 pm
Let me check what I can do.
My login for ESPN isn't working anymore for a long time. Already since FOX Sports became ESPN the login doesn't work. I think I will call them during the week and when I have a working username and password again I can share it.
Thanks Cruijff, that would be really helpful. I figure some people in NL aren't using their ESPN logins since they can watch on TV.

Fox/ESPN has been great for us people in weird timezones who want to watch the broadcasts on demand but they stopped selling access without a TV subscription a few years ago.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 11, 2021 12:34 am

kezme44 schreef:
di aug 10, 2021 11:20 pm
very strange but looks like there will be a stream after all. they are also showing the psv game. I was reading somewhere that the broadcasting agreement expired in late July so they must have extended but strange that it’s only in spanish. not complaining!
Yes it is weird. ESPN is already streaming all the Dutch games to Mexico and Central America in Spanish so I assume this is the same feed that we will get. I'm pretty conversant in Spanish so the language won't be an issue and the big plus is when Ajax score we will get to hear, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL" from the announcers. The rights issue is strange as ESPN owns the Dutch rights when they took over Fox a couple of years ago.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 11, 2021 12:38 am

Tom_ schreef:
wo aug 11, 2021 12:30 am
Orange14 schreef:
ma aug 09, 2021 4:07 pm
My understanding is that they are essentially capturing and streaming satellite TV. They don't say which channels are available but they do have a free 48 hour trial.

I doubt it's legit/licensed (that doesn't bother me). I guess if you can get it on IPTV you can also find an internet stream.
I'm going to experiment with this just in case ESPN+ change their mind. The providers I've looked at all have the Dutch ESPN channels and Ziggo sport. It's a bit of a black box as to how they are getting signals. It must still be small beans as I would assume if it weren't the major content owners would go after them. There is a problem about a provider going out of business and most of the people I've talked to said to go short term subscriptions just to protect yourself. I found one site that wanted to be paid in bitcoin! I have one trial tomorrow and will schedule another one on Thursday. I'll let you know how they work out.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo aug 11, 2021 1:02 am

Thanks, I'd be interested to know how it goes.

The providers *definitely* go after them, it's the typical whack-a-mole DRM situation. e.g. https://torrentfreak.com/tag/iptv/

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo aug 11, 2021 5:48 am

Orange14 schreef:
di aug 10, 2021 9:47 pm
Cross your fingers US supporters. ESPN+ schedule is showing the Ajax-NEC match on Saturday. It's the Spanish language feed but that doesn't bother me as 'yo hablo espanol'
You beat me to this. I just pulled up my ESPN app and saw the same thing. Fingers crossed that this was just a scheduling issue and they'll include the English version as well.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo aug 11, 2021 5:50 am

Amol schreef:
wo aug 11, 2021 5:48 am
Orange14 schreef:
di aug 10, 2021 9:47 pm
You beat me to this. I just pulled up my ESPN app and saw the same thing. Fingers crossed that this was just a scheduling issue and they'll include the English version as well.
A good friend of mine moved to Haarlem last year. My plan B (which my friend doesn't know yet) is to use his home address to order whatever online Dutch football package I'd need.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo aug 11, 2021 7:36 am

Amol schreef:
wo aug 11, 2021 5:50 am
A good friend of mine moved to Haarlem last year. My plan B (which my friend doesn't know yet) is to use his home address to order whatever online Dutch football package I'd need.
AFAIK you can't.

You can only order a bundle of internet and TV, which comes with a "koppelcode" to access ESPN watch.

You might be able to use your friend's koppelcode if he doesn't need it.

Let me know if you find another way!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 11, 2021 12:58 pm

Tom_ schreef:
wo aug 11, 2021 1:02 am
Thanks, I'd be interested to know how it goes.

The providers *definitely* go after them, it's the typical whack-a-mole DRM situation. e.g. https://torrentfreak.com/tag/iptv/
I just got the 24 hour test link from Topedo IPTV. They are located up in Canada. It was really easy to set up. You just paste the URL into VLC Media Player (I use this to stream content and play DVDs and music) and wait for the channels to load up. There were a huge amount of channels including a lot of adult content which I certainly did not want. It's easy to do a search for channels and I found the ESPN channels in less than 2 seconds. I just finished watching a session of one of the Voetball talk shows. It's in Dutch and this will help me improve my language comprehension. Former Ajax player Hedwiges Maduro was on. The picture was great and there were no dropouts. I was watching on my computer and will try it on the TV later today to see how it works there.

There are a lot of sports channels from all over the world so one should be able to watch football matches all weekend if one wanted to.

I may give this one a trial run as a back up just in case. I think the key thing from what I've read is to only purchase a short term subscription in case they go out of business.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Good to hear.

Any sign of catch-up / watch on demand?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Tom_ schreef:
wo aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm
Good to hear.

Any sign of catch-up / watch on demand?
That I don't know. VLC Media Player does allow you to record things but I am guessing you have to do this in real time.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 12, 2021 8:22 pm

I purchased a 3 month subscription to a Canadian IPTV provider. Today I have been watching the two Europa Conference matches with the Dutch teams Feyenoord and Vitesse. Both are on Dutch channels and the picture is clear and there are no dropouts at all. I just load the URL they gave me into VLC media player and wait for all the channels to load. You can find all the football channels world wide at: https://www.livesoccertv.com/ and then enter the one you want into the search box. You need to do this there are well over a 1000 channels and manual search would be a real pain. Just click on the channel and bingo, you are good to go. I assume that I will be able to get all the Jong Ajax matches this way as well.

This works both on my computer workstation as well as my television that has a PC hooked up to it. there are apps for cell phones and tablets that can also be used along with streaming boxes for TVs if you have one of those. It's pretty nifty tech.

As Tom noted, these providers can go out of business with no warning so you should always pick the shortest subscription time and then renew when the time comes. I am paying $15/month US for this which I find to be reasonable.

Plaats reactie