Ajax friendlies

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Ajax friendlies

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 10, 2005 9:56 pm

This thread is the place for talk about upcoming Ajax friendlies.

Any rumors (or, even better: confirmations!) about friendlies for this summer? Post 'em here!

I just read this report on Sky Sports. The last paragraph is interesting:

"Meanwhile, Tigers chairman Adam Pearson has reportedly approached Internazionale, Ajax and Athletic Bilbao about the possibility of playing the Humberside club in pre-season friendlies in the summer."

Would be a nice one!

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Re: Ajax friendlies

Bericht door carcajou » vr mar 11, 2005 12:06 am

Kowalczyk schreef:This thread is the place for talk about upcoming Ajax friendlies.

Any rumors (or, even better: confirmations!) about friendlies for this summer? Post 'em here!

I just read this report on Sky Sports. The last paragraph is interesting:

"Meanwhile, Tigers chairman Adam Pearson has reportedly approached Internazionale, Ajax and Athletic Bilbao about the possibility of playing the Humberside club in pre-season friendlies in the summer."

Would be a nice one!

K.
I'd totally in for such a little trip across the pond. Summer football is often lame but at least you've got to gt the sun shining :D

Over Pasanens Head

Re: Ajax friendlies

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr mar 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: The last paragraph is interesting:

Would be a nice one!

K.
Too right it would be - my number one son lives just under 1 hour away and my father in law lives in Hull and is within staggering distance.
Great town for drinking and partying.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mar 11, 2005 12:41 pm

Would be a nice one to do by ferry! (Rotterdam - Hull).

By the way: according to Football Ground Guide.co.uk it's not the most 'away fan friendly' town in the U.K.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/yfh45/hull.htm

Oh well - it's a friendly and we're not their enemies. I'm sure it will be fine. Never had any problems (Norwich, Nottingham, Derby - wherever).

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr mar 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Would be a nice one to do by ferry! (Rotterdam - Hull).

By the way: according to Football Ground Guide.co.uk it's not the most 'away fan friendly' town in the U.K.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/yfh45/hull.htm

Oh well - it's a friendly and we're not their enemies. I'm sure it will be fine. Never had any problems (Norwich, Nottingham, Derby - wherever).

K.
Cheap flights from Amserdam to Leeds-Bradford or I do believe there is a ferry service (again very cheap) from Amsterdam to Hull.
Away fan friendly and Hull certainly doesn't mix but you could say that for so many places in Europe - if you don't go looking for trouble you won't find it .
BTW, the pies at the ground are absolutely awesome.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mar 11, 2005 12:59 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:I do believe there is a ferry service (again very cheap) from Amsterdam to Hull.
Sure? I can only find ferries from Rotterdam (Europoort) to Hull and Amsterdam (IJmuiden, actually) to Newcastle.

If there are cheap flights I will probably go for that (footie fans on ferries... trouble guaranteed, as everyone will be pissed by the time you leave the port).

I hope this rumor is true - and that Ajax try to find another opponent from the same area, like Scunthorpe or Grimsby.

Two years ago we played two teams from the same area (Nottingham and Derby; only a short train trip) and it was great.

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr mar 11, 2005 1:07 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:I do believe there is a ferry service (again very cheap) from Amsterdam to Hull.
Sure? I can only find ferries from Rotterdam (Europoort) to Hull and Amsterdam (IJmuiden, actually) to Newcastle.

If there are cheap flights I will probably go for that (footie fans on ferries... trouble guaranteed, as everyone will be pissed by the time you leave the port).

I hope this rumor is true - and that Ajax try to find another opponent from the same area, like Scunthorpe or Grimsby.

Two years ago we played two teams from the same area (Nottingham and Derby; only a short train trip) and it was great.

K.
It seems that you are correct re the ferry and it doesn't look cheap - I will speak to my father-in-law tonight and see if we are missing something.

Not too sure about Grimsby and Scunthorpe - not the best of places and always bloody cold whenever you go there. Loads of teams in the area though - even Manchester, Newcastle isn't too far away. Could be an awesome trip and Ray will know a pub................ :xyxthumbs:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 24, 2005 10:07 am

Bertrand and Philippe: check this out...

http://www.estrepublicain.fr/sportslo/2 ... 47270.html

Are we going to France in the summer...? Any friendlies there...?

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do mar 24, 2005 10:25 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Bertrand and Philippe: check this out...

http://www.estrepublicain.fr/sportslo/2 ... 47270.html

Are we going to France in the summer...? Any friendlies there...?

K.
Well the article is about Vittel, which is a thermal springs city, and the fact that many football clubs now choose to do the pre-season physical training there (Marseille, Paris Saint Germain, Monaco). And the article is talking about Ajax for next summer, they MIGHT come. Nothing's sure for now but it's a possibility. Well that would be cool...

But Nancy is not the most beautiful place on the world :pukey:.

The article isn't talking about any friendly.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Pre-season friendlies... update!

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do apr 28, 2005 6:11 am

Ajax have not released their pre-season campaign just yet, but I'm sure they soon will... A few amateur clubs have announced that they will play Ajax in pre-season.

A few weeks ago it was already announced (I don't remember where) that Ajax will play WHC in Wezep (close to Zwolle) on Monday, July 11th (kick-off 18:30 CET).

The Twente.nl website (not the website of FC Twente, but the news portal for the Twente, the area) reports that Ajax will, as usual, go on training camp in the village of De Lutte. Over there their first friendly will be against Quick '20 in Oldenzaal (Sportpark Vondersweyde) on Tuesday, July 12th (we also played them in pre-season in 2001, by the way).

Note that Ajax almost never play friendlies two days in a row, not even against amateurs in pre-season... WHC on the 11th and Quick '20 on the 12th...? Not sure if this is all correct.

The local VVV (Tourist Information Service) of the coastal town of Katwijk, meanwhile, reports that Rijnsburgse Boys from the nearby town of Rijnsburg will play Ajax on Saturday, July 16th. The club are celebrating their 75th anniversary that week. The Ajax friendly is the highlight of the celebrations.

As soon as Ajax announce their pre-season agenda a news report will appear on Ajax USA...

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do apr 28, 2005 8:24 am

In a Dutch-language thread on Ajax Talk a fan also claims that Ajax will play HHC in Hardenberg. They are in the Saturday Hoofdklasse ('Top Class') of Dutch amateur football. Rijnsburgse Boys are also Saturday Hoofdklasse, Quick '20 are Sunday Hoofdklasse and WHC are Saturday Hoofdklasse.

No lower division amateur opponents yet... Which is remarkable. Ajax normally start with one or two games against lower division amateur sides (sometimes even Fourth Class).

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do apr 28, 2005 10:12 am

what about the Amsterdam tournament ? any dates yet ?
Appie, stay strong !

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » do apr 28, 2005 10:33 am

The tourney is usually the weekend nearest to the turn of July into August. so my money is on Friday 29 July and Sunday 31st, this year.

There is always one English club. Chelsea would be nice, but we are about due for another visit from Man U. (ding!).

There is always an Italian club. A. S. Roma would be nice (Chivu, Chivu) but their fans are bastards. So my moneys on Juve.

There is always an a.n. other team just to make up the numbers. Given the Adidas sponsorship, it would be nice if we could have one of the big Adidas teams like Real Madrid, or Spartak or perhaps an interesting Japanese team. But most probably we'll get one of those fat, unfit, South American teams who are only three days into their season preperatiion as usual.

Bericht door 343 » vr apr 29, 2005 11:15 am

According to ELF.nl FC Porto, Arsenal, Boca Juniors and Ajax will play the Amsterdam Tournament..
Laatst gewijzigd door 343 op vr apr 29, 2005 11:24 am, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr apr 29, 2005 11:22 am

343 schreef:According to ELF.nl FC Porto, Arsenal, Boca Juniors and Ajax will play the Amsterdam Tournament.
That would be one hell of a line-up... :xyxthumbs:

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr apr 29, 2005 11:30 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
343 schreef:According to ELF.nl FC Porto, Arsenal, Boca Juniors and Ajax will play the Amsterdam Tournament.
That would be one hell of a line-up... :xyxthumbs:

K.
Yeah....a little cross-channel shopping trip for Mr Wenger....

:outtahere:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

No U.K. friendlies...

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr apr 29, 2005 3:54 pm

Disappointing news, folks...

I just read the Dutch language thread about the pre-season friendlies for this summer. Our man 'Brigade Zuid' sent e-mail to [email protected] to find out if they know anything already. The reply was: "No pre-season friendlies have been confirmed as yet. However, we can tell you that there will be no pre-season friendlies in England this season."

That sucks!! One of the nicest traditions of recent years...

X'C X'C X'C X'C

I want U.K. friendlies!!!

Edit: by the way: we will not run the Amsterdam Tournament line-up as news before it's been officially confirmed by Ajax or the tournament website. Last year several magazines had it that Bayern Munich were coming. Turned out that wasn't the case. We will wait for official confirmation.

K.
Still alive...

Mr. Ajax

Bericht door Mr. Ajax » vr apr 29, 2005 5:23 pm

I doubt it will be Arsenal, they were here just last summer...It would be rather boring to have them here again... I would like to see the Amsterdam Tournament played by the likes of AJAX Amsterdam, Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspurs, and Boca Juniors. Don't ask me why though... :blush:
- Je bent net zolang gestoord tot je een genie bent -

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za apr 30, 2005 10:38 am

Mr. Ajax schreef:I doubt it will be Arsenal, they were here just last summer...It would be rather boring to have them here again... I would like to see the Amsterdam Tournament played by the likes of Ajax Amsterdam, Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspurs, and Boca Juniors. Don't ask me why though... :blush:
Amsterdam Tournament is the best... Weather is lovely and even if the games are lame the atmosphere is just sweet. I wanna make it this year again.
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mei 02, 2005 6:51 am

For the record: the line-up of Ajax, Arsenal, Boca Juniors and FC Porto has been confirmed by Ajax.nl... Check out the English language report (which also includes the matches schedule):

http://english.ajax.nl/show/id=118083/contentid=40317

Last season we played Panathinaikos and not River Plate, which I thought was a real shame. This year it's better: Arsenal and Boca Juniors. I'm looking forward to the latter game in particular!

We will also run this as news on Ajax USA later today. No confirmation of the other friendlies yet...

K.
Still alive...

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » ma mei 02, 2005 3:43 pm

I've got a friend who will be working in in Belgium in July and me and some other friends were thinking of visiting him sometime. I was kinda thinking that this could be combined with the Amsterdam Tournament, if it's possible date wise.

How about the tickets for the Tournament? Are they hard to get in the last few days before the game?
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di mei 03, 2005 12:32 am

I'm all for another AT.It would be my third.I have had an absolute blast at the previous 2(2002, 2004).
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Germany!

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Okay - apparently it's going to be Germany...

http://www.bundesliga.de/news/liga/articles/23392.php

According to this report (in German) Ajax will play an (away) game against Arminia Bielefeld on July 23. Not sure if it's a one-off friendly or part of a training camp in Germany. If the latter is the case we can expect at least one more friendly in Germany to be added to the agenda.

Where is Bielefeld, by the way? Close to the Dutch border?

Edit: it's also on the official Arminia Bielefeld website now...

Train trip is a piece of cake, by the way: Amsterdam to Duisburg is a direct connection (ICE to Cologne). In Duisburg there's a direct train to Bielefeld. Less than four hours in total. Any Cockney Cloggies up for it?

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Re: Germany!

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » wo mei 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: Any Cockney Cloggies up for it?

K.
I am on holiday in Turkey, so count me out of the trip. Also saving money for the 3rd qualifying CL round games in early and late August.

carcajou

Re: Germany!

Bericht door carcajou » wo mei 04, 2005 6:42 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Okay - apparently it's going to be Germany...

http://www.bundesliga.de/news/liga/articles/23392.php

According to this report (in German) Ajax will play an (away) game against Arminia Bielefeld on July 23. Not sure if it's a one-off friendly or part of a training camp in Germany. If the latter is the case we can expect at least one more friendly in Germany to be added to the agenda.

Where is Bielefeld, by the way? Close to the Dutch border?

Edit: it's also on the official Arminia Bielefeld website now...

Train trip is a piece of cake, by the way: Amsterdam to Duisburg is a direct connection (ICE to Cologne). In Duisburg there's a direct train to Bielefeld. Less than four hours in total. Any Cockney Cloggies up for it?

K.
If money starts comin' in, then I'm in.
meh :|

Plaats reactie