The One & Only Official Music Geeks' Thread

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Tom_

Re: The One & Only Official Music Geeks' Thread

Bericht door Tom_ » di jun 30, 2009 1:11 am

Nick Cave is pretty much an institution here. One of my favourite songwriters so I'm biased but he's very popular amongst 'alternative' / 'indie' types. Probably hasn't been huge with the more mainstream market or the latest generation but I wouldn't really know much about that...

He recently curated the first ATP festival in Australia (which was pretty incredible) so that's an indication of his status. If you're interested there's a best of out there which is OK, or pick up something like Murder Ballads or No More Shall We Part, or even the latest album (Dig, Lazarus, Dig!) which isn't quintessential Nick Cave but good none the less.
SPL schreef:A Question for Dan or anyone

On the subject of older performers at glastonbury the wife was watching Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds .
They are Australian , she wants to know are they big in Australia and what do you know about them.

PS My wife is more clued up on modern music than me . Our son , aged 20, is always playing current stuff .

Me well I am in a time warp.I think I got stuck after the 80's .

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jun 30, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks Chugger. The wife says he was definately different!!! I will look him up on youtube as I did not
see him.

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » di jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm

On the subject of older performers at glastonbury the wife was watching Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds .
They are Australian , she wants to know are they big in Australia and what do you know about them.

PS My wife is more clued up on modern music than me . Our son , aged 20, is always playing current stuff .

You made it all the way to the '80s? :smallgrin.gif:

One of my favorite movies, Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire (1987), includes scenes of Nick Cave in performance. The angel finally meets his beloved in a club where Cave and the Bad Seeds are playing.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm

mako schreef:

You made it all the way to the '80s? :smallgrin.gif:

One of my favorite movies, Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire (1987), includes scenes of Nick Cave in performance. The angel finally meets his beloved in a club where Cave and the Bad Seeds are playing.
Isn't that the movie they re-made with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan about a decade ago? The remake sucked, and it had that horrible Goo Goo Dolls song.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di jun 30, 2009 3:55 pm

aveslacker schreef: Isn't that the movie they re-made with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan about a decade ago? The remake sucked, and it had that horrible Goo Goo Dolls song.
Yeah it was. Never saw that one, but watched the original every year in German class when I was younger, kind of surreal :hypocrite.gif:
AFCA

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » di jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:
aveslacker schreef: Isn't that the movie they re-made with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan about a decade ago? The remake sucked, and it had that horrible Goo Goo Dolls song.
Yeah it was. Never saw that one, but watched the original every year in German class when I was younger, kind of surreal :hypocrite.gif:
I never saw the remake either; it got absolutely terrible reviews. Wings of Desire is indeed surreal - Peter Falk as a fallen angel?!? - and if, like me, you don't speak German, I imagine you lose a lot of the beauty of the language. But the imagery is breathtaking, and I love the idea of invisible angels moving among us and being able to hear our thoughts by placing their hands on us.

And that's probably enough about movies on a music thread.... :blush.gif:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jun 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Nick Cave at Glastonbury is on you tube. I will ahve to catch some of his songs.

Mako the wife is not sure I reached the 80's but I told her 3 of my all time favourites were in that era
ie Kate Bush Freddie Mercury and Meat Loaf.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di jun 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Chugger schreef:Nick Cave is pretty much an institution here. One of my favourite songwriters so I'm biased but he's very popular amongst 'alternative' / 'indie' types. Probably hasn't been huge with the more mainstream market or the latest generation but I wouldn't really know much about that...

He recently curated the first ATP festival in Australia (which was pretty incredible) so that's an indication of his status. If you're interested there's a best of out there which is OK, or pick up something like Murder Ballads or No More Shall We Part, or even the latest album (Dig, Lazarus, Dig!) which isn't quintessential Nick Cave but good none the less.

Nick Cave is a living legend. Absolutely one of the greatest singer/songwriters of his generation (the world over btw). No question.

He has a very long list of music releases depending on your tastes, probably go with Chuggers recommendation and work from there if you get hooked.

And I love that despite living in England for a while, he still has a perfect Aussie accent :)

Davo15

Bericht door Davo15 » wo jul 01, 2009 2:12 am

Wonder when Blur might make a trip this side of the Atlantic? Seeing them in London would be amazing but not sure when I'm headed back there. Last year when I was I did manage to see Punk Rock legends The Stranglers at Shepard's Bush Empire which was rather sweet.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo jul 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Just read that Mudhoney will be playing De Melkweg on 10/14. Well , if I make it to Amsterdam, at least I don't have to worry about a scheduling conflict with a CL fixture :tranen.gif: :tranen.gif: .
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo aug 02, 2009 10:04 am

OK, another new CD recommendation from me. From Concerto Records in Amsterdam who had it on their listening post (not sure if you'll get this outside of NL).

Unleash by Rob Klerkx, drummer with the band Moke. Really good CD this, very mellow lyrics but quite a rock sound (as you'd expect maybe from a solo album from a drummer). He has a voice (but not necessarily a musical stype) very similar to Peter Gabriel I think.

Great CD anyway, if anyone wants to listen you can hear the title track here http://robklerkx.bandcamp.com/track/unleash
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di aug 04, 2009 10:23 am

Blind3 schreef:Just read that Mudhoney will be playing De Melkweg on 10/14. Well , if I make it to Amsterdam, at least I don't have to worry about a scheduling conflict with a CL fixture :tranen.gif: :tranen.gif: .
I'm going on holiday to Cyprus from Oct 9th to Oct 21st. Which is nice, but almost immediately after booking the gigs started falling down from the sky: The Pixies @ Heineken Music Hall, Mudhoney @ Melkweg and Ray Davies (of The Kinks) @ the Carré...

Great...

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di aug 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Australia's Next Superstar!

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/601991/ ... ns_in.html

Believe it or not, but we get even bigger talents here in Holland!

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di aug 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Australia's Next Superstar!

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/601991/ ... ns_in.html

Believe it or not, but we get even bigger talents here in Holland!

K.
LMAO! I'm with the guy who fell off the chair I'm afraid, thanks for posting that - brightened up my day!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma nov 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Blind3, were you THERE...?

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do nov 05, 2009 10:32 am

Ko, I was at all four shows, 27,28, 30, and 31 October. FUCKIN' EPIC ( and I'm not referring to the record company of the same name) !! The setlists were unbelieveable !!! Whip It was awesome. I know two of the folks who caught parts of the Devo costumes when the lads threw them into the crowd. Ed, in Mark Mothersbaugh glasses, even bought out a 6 foot bullwhip during Whip It ,which he cracked a few times.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do nov 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Oh God, I'm not jealous...

:1evil.gif:

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr nov 06, 2009 2:02 am

Hoping for a DVD . Glad that the official bootlegs will be available soon . I'm definitely buying all four boots through the Ten Club .
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma dec 07, 2009 9:39 am

This is absolutely brilliant, by the way...

The Muppets do Bohemian Rhapsody

My favourite bit is the first verse ("Mamaaaa") by Animal. :drecul.gif:

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma dec 07, 2009 10:50 am

Went to see the Tragically Hip here in Brussels a week ago (to remind me of my Canadian days).

They were simply outstanding...
Gordon Howie has one of the best stage presence out there.

Highly recommend them if they're passing your way.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do dec 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Want a nice Christmas album...?

Download THIS. Christmas Candy is a Christmas EP of Dutch indie bands. It's a free download, including artwork. Spread the word.

Like it? In that case you might want to check out the fantastic Cover Club. The Christmas Candy EP is theirs, too. Four EPs full of covers (a Sex Pistols EP, a Neil Young EP, a 'Dirt Pleasures' EP and a four-song version of the Christmas EP), all available for free download.

The guy behind all this is in The Gasoline Brothers, from Utrecht, who released their fantastic second album Tsk! this year. The Gasoline Brothers offer all of their music for free. You can download the new album for free from their website: HERE. It's the top one.

Not available for free download, but highly recommended nonetheless: the great Excelsior Recordings label released some of their very best albums this year. The three below are 'must haves' for people like SE6Ajacied, who bought XLCR stuff before.

* Anne Soldaat - In Another Life (buy it here)
* Moss - Never Be Scared/Don't Be A Hero (buy it here)
* El Pino & The Volunteers - The Long-Lost Art Of Becoming Invisible (buy it here)

Just a few recommendations...

K.
Still alive...

Khraa

Bericht door Khraa » do dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm

hmmm, going to see El Pino next month. I hope it is as good as you say it is....
Alright, stop this nonsense. It is getting way too silly!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do dec 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Not available for free download, but highly recommended nonetheless: the great Excelsior Recordings label released some of their very best albums this year. The three below are 'must haves' for people like SE6Ajacied, who bought XLCR stuff before.

* El Pino & The Volunteers - The Long-Lost Art Of Becoming Invisible (buy it here)

K.
Haven't bought any music at all for a while so haven't got any of those but I am familiar with all of them from the website.

I did get the GEM United box-set when I was in Amsterdam in the Summer though which is much recommended if anyone's not already got the stuff on it.

Still listening to Rob Klerkx a lot (great CD) and hoping to get a chance to play the classic New York Dolls CD that I picked up secondhand in the market near work later....

Wie kent Cees de Wolf nog
AT Toto winner 09/10

Bericht door Wie kent Cees de Wolf nog » vr dec 11, 2009 9:55 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Want a nice Christmas album...?

Download THIS. Christmas Candy is a Christmas EP of Dutch indie bands. It's a free download, including artwork. Spread the word.

Like it? In that case you might want to check out the fantastic Cover Club. The Christmas Candy EP is theirs, too. Four EPs full of covers (a Sex Pistols EP, a Neil Young EP, a 'Dirt Pleasures' EP and a four-song version of the Christmas EP), all available for free download.

The guy behind all this is in The Gasoline Brothers, from Utrecht, who released their fantastic second album Tsk! this year. The Gasoline Brothers offer all of their music for free. You can download the new album for free from their website: HERE. It's the top one.

K.
Brilliant tip from the Ko-ster! :biggthumpup.gif:
“Freedom! Football is freedom.” Bob Marley

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr dec 11, 2009 9:58 am

Wie kent Cees de Wolf nog schreef:Brilliant tip from the Ko-ster! :biggthumpup.gif:
That's right... He's more than just a sexy poster... :ajaxsmiley.gif:

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie