Amsterdam & The Netherlands Tourist Info

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do jan 17, 2008 8:11 pm

For the information, TicketUnlimited charged me 115 euros (ticket+shipping to France) for a 16.25 euros ticket. No comment.
meh :|

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jan 18, 2008 12:15 pm

carcajou schreef:For the information, TicketUnlimited charged me 115 euros (ticket+shipping to France) for a 16.25 euros ticket. No comment.
Dito here. This is absolutely f*^king ridiculous, but then I suppose there are people that are willing to pay this, so you can't blame them for trying to make extra money.

There really needs to be a better way for non season card holders to get access to games. I really don't see why you can't just purchase tickets directly from the club or another ticket agency. Works perfectly in Australia.

Anyway, thats my gripe for the day. If we win, then I wont have any more complaints about the cost of the ticket.

FYI - If anyone is thinking of going to more than 2 games next season, you might want to look at getting a season card. They start at around 180 Euros. So looking at the price of TicketUnlimited are charging, thats pretty much going to see PSV and Feyenoord. Plus the money from the season card goes to the CLUB, not some ticket agency.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr jan 18, 2008 12:45 pm

High demand means high prices.

If you want to have a fair chance and prices for tickets, you might want to consider taking a Supporters Club Card. It will cost you about 20 euro's per year and you are instantly a Ajax supportersclub member. With the Ajax supporters club card you are the second in line for tickets. Seasonticketholders are the first, then you.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr jan 18, 2008 2:31 pm

DanK schreef: FYI - If anyone is thinking of going to more than 2 games next season, you might want to look at getting a season card. They start at around 180 Euros. So looking at the price of TicketUnlimited are charging, thats pretty much going to see PSV and Feyenoord. Plus the money from the season card goes to the CLUB, not some ticket agency.
That's perfectly true. When prices are that ridiculous, buying a season card makes sense all of a sudden. I used to be a season card holder, I'll consider it again in the future, that's for sure.
meh :|

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr jan 18, 2008 2:52 pm

price is one of the reasons why I got a season card, the other being the impossibility to get tickets for "high risk" games
Appie, stay strong !

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » za jan 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Mystery Bob, one of the most experienced Ajax USA travelers, says this:

My Amsterdam Hotel Experiences: Hotel Vondel - the Ajax-USA trip in 2003 stayed here, it was very nice. Delta Hotel, on Damrak - No DiAnn, Near the Palace - Not bad, very steep steps. Krasnapolsky Apartments - Apartments in the back of the Kras, Great location. Fair Condition, Expensive. Hotel de Koopermoolen - Fair, pretty good location. Victoria Hotel - the first hotel on Damrak when leaving Centraal Station - Great Location. Nice inside. Expensive. Trianon - Low price, not recommended. I don't remember the name of the hotel from the second year. I have stayed at the IBIS Stopera, I thought it was very nice. The Hotel Hortus - the price is right, not very comfortable, but acceptable.

Thanks Bob!

m BZ

Bericht door m BZ » zo jan 20, 2008 1:15 am

I have the hotel from 2003 wrong, It was the AMS Hofpark, it was very nice, located on the far end of Vondelpark. I have also stayed at the Rembrandt, it was also OK. The Rokin was a few years ago. It is little beyond the Dam. It was acceptable and a pretty good location.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jul 21, 2008 6:53 am

Good news for many of you and especially for Jim!

The European 'smoking ban' is in effect in The Netherlands since July 1st. All public places (including bars, pubs, restaurants, music venues etc. - and football stadiums!) are now smoke free.

There was, of course, a lot of fuss about this beforehand, but now that it's July everybody just seems to accept it without problems.

I love it! And I'm sure the average American tourist will, too.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma jul 21, 2008 7:44 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
The European 'smoking ban' is in effect in The Netherlands since July 1st.
K.
I support the ban but I did have to laugh at the quote in this article when I read it

"It's absurd. In other countries they look to see whether you have marijuana in your cigarette, here they'll look to see if you've got cigarette in your marijuana." :drecul.gif:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/01/eu.smoking
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma jul 21, 2008 7:48 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Good news for many of you and especially for Jim!

The European 'smoking ban' is in effect in The Netherlands since July 1st. All public places (including bars, pubs, restaurants, music venues etc. - and football stadiums!) are now smoke free.

There was, of course, a lot of fuss about this beforehand, but now that it's July everybody just seems to accept it without problems.

I love it! And I'm sure the average American tourist will, too.

K.
It's the main thing I always hated about travelling to Europe. The smoking. You want to smoke, fine. Just keep it out of my face.

It's been illegal in Oz for years. You can't smoke in football stadiums there either. I am sure the guy who I sat next to a few years ago in the ArenA had no idea or care factor about that while he was blowing cigar smoke into my face.

Come to think of it, it may have been into Jim's and my faces. Good times Jim. Good times.

Good law, better late than never.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma jul 21, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm fine with the ban. it's been a fact of life in many parts of the States for a few years now. I don't smoke and really hate emerging from a club smelling like stale smoke.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma dec 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Yeah! I'm booked for my annual Amsterdam visit, this time with young Ryan accompanying me. Jan 30-Feb 5, with games on Sat and Tues night (plus Young Ajax on Monday). Can't wait (but have to anyway).

:headbang.gif:
Mark it 8, Dude.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma dec 08, 2008 9:00 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Yeah! I'm booked for my annual Amsterdam visit, this time with young Ryan accompanying me. Jan 30-Feb 5, with games on Sat and Tues night (plus Young Ajax on Monday). Can't wait (but have to anyway).

Yay! I was actually thinking of making it down myself for the game on the 30th...this is as good an excuse as any to make the effort. Might see you there mate.

Oops. Correction. The game on the 31st...

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » ma dec 08, 2008 10:23 pm

DanK schreef:
ajaxusa schreef:Yeah! I'm booked for my annual Amsterdam visit, this time with young Ryan accompanying me. Jan 30-Feb 5, with games on Sat and Tues night (plus Young Ajax on Monday). Can't wait (but have to anyway).

Yay! I was actually thinking of making it down myself for the game on the 30th...this is as good an excuse as any to make the effort. Might see you there mate.

Nice choice of dates.....pity it wasn't a couple of weeks later...but, late Saturday night games are very atmospheric....and, if we can arrange it through the "team of Brits"....we might be able to find some tickets! Have to find out from Ko who's in town that weekend. I know me and Dan are..but if the other Brits in 410 aren't coming....there's 2!!!

Get Ko on the case.

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
34 will always be with us

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma dec 08, 2008 10:51 pm

SaddlerIan schreef:
DanK schreef:

Nice choice of dates.....pity it wasn't a couple of weeks later...but, late Saturday night games are very atmospheric....and, if we can arrange it through the "team of Brits"....we might be able to find some tickets! Have to find out from Ko who's in town that weekend. I know me and Dan are..but if the other Brits in 410 aren't coming....there's 2!!!

Get Ko on the case.

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
You guys are awesome. I haven't confronted the dilemma of match tickets yet... Would LOVE to be in with the F-Side for the games... There is some very nice Kentucky bourbon coming the way of anyone who can so accommodate us...
Mark it 8, Dude.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di dec 09, 2008 1:58 am

I was looking at the Heerenveen and Heracles matches as plan A, but am holding off until I see the UEFA draw. Hoping for a cup match and league match, as I had when we played Auxerre in the UEFA Cup and then a league match within a few days several years ago. If the draw isn't conducive, I'll opt for plan A. Several Ajax travel package levels are still available.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Just booked my flight to Amsterdam. Should be there Thursday night, but flying back out Sunday. Still good few days in Amsterdam to hopefully catch up.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm

After much planning, I'm now set for a trip to Amsterdam in February with a visit to de Klassikier on the schedule as well.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what to check out while I'm there. Will be there for about a week with nothing much else planned currently. Haven't been to Amsterdam in a few years and I can't wait.
AFCA

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:After much planning, I'm now set for a trip to Amsterdam in February with a visit to de Klassikier on the schedule as well.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what to check out while I'm there. Will be there for about a week with nothing much else planned currently. Haven't been to Amsterdam in a few years and I can't wait.
Well if you support Oranje as well you could do worse than the Netherlands Football Museum, on the corner at the end of Kalverstraat near the Kalvertoren and the large indoor shopping centre (the large 'Free Record Shop' is worth a visit too seeing as your passing).

It's quite small and only open at weekends I think but it's right in the centre so you won't have to make a special trip. The Amsterdam Historical Museum at Kalverstraat 92 is worth a visit as well - again, it's quite small but right in the centre so you won't have to make a special trip. There's a small but interesting section on Ajax as well including some films in English (or with subtitles - can't remember which).

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo jan 07, 2009 4:35 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef: Well if you support Oranje as well you could do worse than the Netherlands Football Museum, on the corner at the end of Kalverstraat near the Kalvertoren and the large indoor shopping centre (the large 'Free Record Shop' is worth a visit too seeing as your passing).

It's quite small and only open at weekends I think but it's right in the centre so you won't have to make a special trip. The Amsterdam Historical Museum at Kalverstraat 92 is worth a visit as well - again, it's quite small but right in the centre so you won't have to make a special trip. There's a small but interesting section on Ajax as well including some films in English (or with subtitles - can't remember which).

Thanks for the advice. I'll be there with my girlfriend, who may have had enough football with the match (and tour beforehand since we went with the travel package rather than the scalpers for the same price), may still be able to drag her there.

Definitely interested in the historical museum and free record shop. While I'm thinking about it, any inside tips for where to see live music? Anything relaxed with good music is usually fitting.
AFCA

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo jan 07, 2009 6:55 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef: I'll be there with my girlfriend,

Definitely interested in the record shop
Well perhaps with a handful of "shopping vouchers" (Euro's - notes only required) you can leave your better half in the shops while you pop round the museum. That's what I'd try anyway even if does cost you extra on the entrance fee :smallgrin.gif: :blush.gif: .

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do jan 08, 2009 10:57 am

The most interesting and beautiful part of the city remains IMO the west part with the Jordaan district, its many canals, small shops, cafes, and restaurants...Wonderful walks.
But as for a visit, you should see this, which will give a very good view of life in Amsterdam during the Golden Age, located in the heart of the red light district : http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 48,00.html
Appie, stay strong !

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jan 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Jordaan is an excellent area. Amsterdam is probably one of the best cities in Europe to just walk the streets, although it maybe a bit cold.

Stop in one (or three) of the many wonderful locals around, and if you want to go to a museum the van Gogh museum, is excellent. I have heard the Amsterdam Historical Museum is great too, but have yet to go.

Tip - Have a good map.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » vr jan 09, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks for all the tips. We should be staying in the Jordaan area, just haven't finished booking that yet. It's one of my favorites too. I've basically skipped the museum visits previously and that seems like a good thing to do in February.

We haven't done much planning yet and figured we'd spend a lot of the time walking around and just seeing the city. I have no problem just sitting in Dam Square for a few hours provided the weather is good enough :koe.gif:

(Hopefully will at least be better than Chicago's, just snow and cold the last few weeks).
AFCA

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr jan 09, 2009 10:47 pm

One more thing, if you've not gone before I recommend a trip to the Albert Cuypmarkt, down in De Pijp (another really nice area of Amsterdam to walk around). It's 'just' a street market really but also a real Amsterdam institution, I only discovered it on one of my more recent trips to Amsterdam and I always try to visit now. Lots of nice bars in that area too.

Plaats reactie