News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Ajax-related books

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 25, 2008 7:48 pm

The first book in this brand-new Ajax books thread is not really an Ajax book...

Let me explain.

Ajax USA 'diehards' who visited Amsterdam for one of our infamous Ajax USA Rendezvous (plural) will surely remember Peter 'Floyd' Hassebroek from Canada. Cool bloke. Good drinker. Very good at winding up the Yanks, too.

I hadn't heard from him for quite a while, but he has re-emerged, with a début novel under his arm. It's called Upbound and you can read everything about it on his website: http://www.peterhassebroek.com/

I just ordered my copy. Hardcover, 'cos it's nice and the dollar ain't worth jack these days anyway. I really liked the blurb and the excerpt on the website. Can't wait to read it!

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mar 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Ajax-related books, eh? Good topic.

I'm not sure if anyone's heard about it, but there's an interesting Ajax book called Vak 127. According to the blurb, the book is, "a soccer book without soccer. A raw tale full of combis, steel walkways and supporters humor, but mostly about unconditional love for a football club, friendship and the worry that everything is going to change."

I've never heard of the author before, some guy named Menno Pot. It'd be neat to hear his opinions about Ajax.

In any event, I haven't read the book, but it seems pretty cool.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo mar 26, 2008 6:39 pm

The new edition of Uefa Champions magazine for April/may(has a picture of Christiano Ronaldo on the front) contains a 6 page article The trouble with Ajax about our problems.An interesting read.

There is a seperate column in this article by a very important Ajax fan,
our own Menno. Our site is also mentioned with reference to Menno.

If you cannot buy or see this magazine then it is usually reviewed on UEFA.com site. This edition has not come up on their site yet but probably will do in a day or so. the article may appear on the website.

Daily Blind

Bericht door Daily Blind » wo mar 26, 2008 7:09 pm

SPL schreef:The new edition of Uefa Champions magazine for April/may(has a picture of Christiano Ronaldo on the front) contains a 6 page article The trouble with Ajax about our problems.An interesting read.

If you cannot buy or see this magazine then it is usually reviewed on UEFA.com site. This edition has not come up on their site yet but probably will do in a day or so. the article may appear on the website.
Thanks for this, I will have a look tomorrow on the office!

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di apr 08, 2008 3:58 am

SPL schreef:The new edition of Uefa Champions magazine for April/may(has a picture of Christiano Ronaldo on the front) contains a 6 page article The trouble with Ajax about our problems.An interesting read.

Hey, that's great! You know, this magazine did a story about Ajax USA's visit to Amsterdam a couple of years ago, and ever since then I've received the magazine for free. It shows up every other month, a bit late after its long journey across the ocean and a contintent, but I always enjoy it. Looking forward to this next issue especially.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Re: Ajax-related books

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do sep 17, 2009 8:00 am

Re-posting... (this thread already existed; I deleted your new one...)
aztattooedsean777 schreef:Are there any good books on the team's history or what not that anyone would recommend? I just got some birthday gift certificates that I would like to use on some good football books. :biggthumpup.gif:
aveslacker schreef:Check out the Ajax-usa website. There's a classic book by Simon Kuper that is worth it, imo.
Another link from Ajax USA: here's a page on Ajax-related books in English... It's pretty much everything we knew of at the time.

http://www.ajaxusa.com/books/

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do okt 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Dutch only, but this must be a great book: a beautiful boxed set of two book on Louis van Gaal, a biography and book of coaching philosophies. You can order it HERE @ Voetbalshop.nl, if you can read Dutch...

I didn't order it yet, but I will.

But first... holiday! I'm off to Cyprus for twelve days tomorrow morning. Behave yourselves, people. See you on October 21st!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Not an Ajax book, but I'll post it here anyway...

Did any one of you read Soccer in a Football World by David Wangerin?

It's about the history of 'America's forgotten game': football in the U.S.

Recommendable?

K.
Still alive...

zeux

Bericht door zeux » ma mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
But first... holiday! I'm off to Cyprus for twelve days tomorrow morning. Behave yourselves, people. See you on October 21st!

K.
Funny post in light of recent events. Did you not forget to get your savings from the bank?
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Zeux schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
Funny post in light of recent events. Did you not forget to get your savings from the bank?
I think that's a pretty old post - otherwise March until October is one hell of a holiday.... :excited.gif:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

zeux

Bericht door zeux » ma mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
Zeux schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
I think that's a pretty old post - otherwise March until October is one hell of a holiday.... :excited.gif:
Of course! Just funny in these days to read a post that he went to Cyprus.
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Zeux schreef:Of course! Just funny in these days to read a post that he went to Cyprus.
One can still go to Cyprus, in fact. Island's still there.

K.
Still alive...

zeux

Bericht door zeux » di mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Zeux schreef:Of course! Just funny in these days to read a post that he went to Cyprus.

K.
True!

But bring your own money.

Did you like it, Cyprus?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Zeux schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
True!

But bring your own money.

Did you like it, Cyprus?
Who knows when the ATM machines will be open??? I see the banks are staying closed for almost another week.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 27, 2013 10:24 am

Book, people. Books.

:rules.gif:

Now, who read that book on U.S. soccer?

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr mar 29, 2013 3:26 am

Don't worry Ko. I'm paying attention. Somebody wrote a book about taking a six month holiday to play soccer inside a bank in Cyprus ? WOW . Who knew ?
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di feb 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Actually a magazine article. The February edition of World Soccer has an 8 page article on the world's best and most important football club.Front cover states Ajax spotlight on Amsterdam's player factory but it focuses on the velvet revolution.

I note in the pen pictures of the first team squad Zimling does not appear ! The author Klaas-Jan Droppert has decided Zimling not worthy and has included a pen picture of Nouri instead ( Forgive me, I am sure Zimling is a really nice guy and if I were a fan of Willem Tilburg I would be happy with him )

Article is a good read .

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo feb 04, 2015 7:12 pm

SPL schreef:Article is a good read .
Hi SPL,

Did you learn anything or was it just the standard info that's in pretty much every "Ajax focus"?
Just asking before I buy it.

Cheers,

MP
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo feb 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Just standard info on the velvet revolution and what we are doing with youth.I didn't learn anything new.

If you see it in the shop you can just have a quick read.

Plaats reactie