25 May 2011: Portland Timbers - Ajax

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

25 May 2011: Portland Timbers - Ajax

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 24, 2011 7:00 am

Ajax's second friendly in the U.S. (the first one is DC United vs Ajax on 22 May).

This visit to the U.S. for some friendly football is Ajax's first since the Gotham Cup, back in 1999!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Re: 25 May 2011: Portland Timbers - Ajax

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 24, 2011 7:07 am

Some re-posts...
ajaxusa schreef:
AjaxPDX schreef:
ajaxusa schreef:I'll arrive Sat evening and stay 'till Tuesday night (when I fly to Portland for Ajax' 2nd friendly, v the debutantes of MLS, the Portland Timbers!).
I've been a Timbers season ticket holder for the past eight years, and been a lurker on these Ajax boards ever since back at the old website. I'll have one extra ticket to the Portland-Ajax match. If you want it, ajaxusa, just let me know, and it's yours.
That's super-cool! However, I'll be there with at least my son, and possibly also my niece and another friend. But I would love to rely on you for guidance on the best way to get tickets, best tailgating, etc. (We should probably take this conversation over to the "ajax friendlies" thread.)
K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do mar 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm happy as a clam in mud to say that I will be going to BOTH games, in lovely DC and lovelier Portland! And my son Ryan will fly up to join me for the Timbers game. Hup Ajax!
:ajaxsmiley.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
Mark it 8, Dude.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » do mar 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Ajaxusa, I'll let you know when I hear about general tickets going on sale. This game is included in the season ticket package, so there's 12,500 tickets already gone. Stadium holds just under 20,000, so there will be tickets available. It's often hard to tell what demand will be like for these friendlies though. They capped season tickets at 12,500, there's now a waiting list, and close to half the regular season league games have already sold out the full 19,000 before they'd played their first match, so I'd imagine the demand will be fairly high for a club like Ajax, but who knows, you might be able to just walk up and buy a ticket on match day.

Also, we can keep in touch re tailgating, etc., for match day. The stadium is right downtown, there are plenty of bars around, and with a group like the Timbers Army, I'm sure there will be some form of entertainment somewhere.
Portland Timbers FC - AFC Ajax - Southampton FC

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di mar 29, 2011 12:17 am

AjaxPDX schreef:Ajaxusa, I'll let you know when I hear about general tickets going on sale. This game is included in the season ticket package, so there's 12,500 tickets already gone. Stadium holds just under 20,000, so there will be tickets available. It's often hard to tell what demand will be like for these friendlies though. They capped season tickets at 12,500, there's now a waiting list, and close to half the regular season league games have already sold out the full 19,000 before they'd played their first match, so I'd imagine the demand will be fairly high for a club like Ajax, but who knows, you might be able to just walk up and buy a ticket on match day.
Cool. Do you know when Season Ticket holders will get their tickets? My best bet is probably to find season ticket holders who don't want to go to this game.

And... Do you know of any decent online communities for Timbers fans? The Timbers discussion on BigSoccer is dead/lame. Virtually no interest in this game.
AjaxPDX schreef:Also, we can keep in touch re tailgating, etc., for match day. The stadium is right downtown, there are plenty of bars around, and with a group like the Timbers Army, I'm sure there will be some form of entertainment somewhere.
Excellent. We'll probably be looking for some good tailgate action before the game...
Mark it 8, Dude.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » di mar 29, 2011 8:52 pm

ajaxusa schreef:
And... Do you know of any decent online communities for Timbers fans? The Timbers discussion on BigSoccer is dead/lame. Virtually no interest in this game.
Try here: http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl

Most avoid BS at all costs.

And season tickets are being mailed out this week. No word yet on when single tickets for the Ajax match go on sale to the public.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di mar 29, 2011 9:13 pm

AjaxPDX schreef:Try here: http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl

Most avoid BS at all costs.

And season tickets are being mailed out this week. No word yet on when single tickets for the Ajax match go on sale to the public.
Excellent, thanks for the tip!!!
Mark it 8, Dude.

grachtdog
Contacteer:

Bericht door grachtdog » wo mar 30, 2011 6:57 am

Holy moly. Dreams do come true.

I'm going to start packing right now. :blub.gif:
XXX

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr apr 01, 2011 5:56 am

If anybody's going to this game, and you have not been to Portland (or to DC for that matter), I can tell you, you're in for a treat... Portland is really, really great. Great food, GREAT beer. Awesome fans. And... not that it matters, but... the highest ratio of strip clubs per capita in the United States. Did I mention the food?
Mark it 8, Dude.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm

And here's the specific thread on Soccer City about this game.
Mark it 8, Dude.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » wo apr 13, 2011 9:22 pm

To ajaxusa and anyone else interested:

Tickets for the Ajax match at Portland Timbers go on general public sale this Friday, April 15, at 5:00 pm Pacific time. Unfortunately, you have to buy through Ticketmaster.

And to anyone out there in the US or with ESPN viewing access: the Timbers' first ever MLS home match is tomorrow night (Thursday) against Chicago Fire on ESPN. Should be pretty festive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-eah0PIxfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZegmC62kF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjlc-eVlKeE

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo apr 13, 2011 11:37 pm

OK, great. I've been waiting for the exact date. I have a sleeper cell in Portland, ready to spring into action and buy tickets at the stadium ticket office..

Can you advise on the best place(s) to sit? None of us have ever been to that stadium before. Is there a better section/side?
Mark it 8, Dude.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » do apr 14, 2011 2:01 am

Depends on what you're looking for. Here's a seating map for orientation:

http://gpsdsoccer.com/userfiles/image/T ... Unsold.JPG

The north end behind the goal is where the supporters mostly hang out (i.e., singing, chanting, standing, don't expect to sit for 90 minutes... although for a friendly like Ajax, I'd imagine the atmosphere and madness will probably be noticeably more subdued as compared to a league match). The west stand is a sideline view and where you'll find the more or less casual fans. The middle of the road option. The east stand is brand spanking new, so is neat for that shiny and new factor, but is also probably where the rich folk will most likely be found (and while I don't know yet because it hasn't actually been used yet for a match, the east stand has the potential to get sun in your eyes for an evening game... if the sun ever comes out here again). All have plusses and minuses depending on your aim.

MIKE_ZUID2 (ASR_AFCA)
AT Toto winner 07/08

Bericht door MIKE_ZUID2 (ASR_AFCA) » do apr 14, 2011 8:13 am

If someone is able to take some pictures for our site (www.sthcrw.nl) , that would be appreciated.
Just drop me a pm.
Our group attends all matches at home and abroad. But we won't be able to visit America this year.

acab

Bericht door acab » do apr 14, 2011 10:38 pm

South Crew is a new group or part of VAK 410?

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do apr 14, 2011 11:14 pm

MIKE_ZUID2 (ASR_AFCA) schreef:If someone is able to take some pictures for our site (http://www.sthcrw.nl) , that would be appreciated.
Just drop me a pm.
Our group attends all matches at home and abroad. But we won't be able to visit America this year.
I don't have a good camera, but I'll definitely take lots of pics and you're welcome to any of them.
Mark it 8, Dude.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do apr 14, 2011 11:15 pm

AjaxPDX schreef:Depends on what you're looking for. Here's a seating map for orientation:

http://gpsdsoccer.com/userfiles/image/T ... Unsold.JPG

The north end behind the goal is where the supporters mostly hang out (i.e., singing, chanting, standing, don't expect to sit for 90 minutes... although for a friendly like Ajax, I'd imagine the atmosphere and madness will probably be noticeably more subdued as compared to a league match). The west stand is a sideline view and where you'll find the more or less casual fans. The middle of the road option. The east stand is brand spanking new, so is neat for that shiny and new factor, but is also probably where the rich folk will most likely be found (and while I don't know yet because it hasn't actually been used yet for a match, the east stand has the potential to get sun in your eyes for an evening game... if the sun ever comes out here again). All have plusses and minuses depending on your aim.
Awesome, thanks. I really don't care that much, but it's nice to have some insight before buying tickets.
Mark it 8, Dude.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo apr 24, 2011 2:48 am

Ajax will enjoy MLS' newest team, and also (probably) the best atmosphere in the league. Check out the crowd getting into the (nearly impossible to sing national anthem) at the team's opening match.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... field.html

Brilliant.

BTW, we got our tickets. We'll be in that sea of Portland supporters behind the goal. I hope I don't get beer dumped on me. Or worse...
Mark it 8, Dude.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr mei 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Great article about the new rivalry between two of MLS' newest (and fuzziest) teams, Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 83628.html
Mark it 8, Dude.

grachtdog
Contacteer:

Bericht door grachtdog » wo mei 18, 2011 1:54 am

Got my tickets and ready to go. What a perfect time to see Ajax. I can't wait.

I'm meeting some college friends at a pub near the stadium before the game. If anyone wants to join us, feel free to stop by. I'll be the one in the red and white shirt with #14 on the back :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Leaky Roof
16th & SW Jefferson
(503) 222-3745
http://www.theleakyroof.com
XXX

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo mei 18, 2011 3:03 am

grachtdog schreef:Got my tickets and ready to go. What a perfect time to see Ajax. I can't wait.

I'm meeting some college friends at a pub near the stadium before the game. If anyone wants to join us, feel free to stop by. I'll be the one in the red and white shirt with #14 on the back :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Leaky Roof
16th & SW Jefferson
(503) 222-3745
http://www.theleakyroof.com
Thanks for the offer! My niece is in charge of the night's festivities, but I'll suggest this pub and hopefully we can stop by! I'll be the one wearing a home shirt with no number, Aegon logo, and towing along my 12 year old son and three bewildered adults.
Mark it 8, Dude.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 18, 2011 11:32 am

People keep telling me Portland is a really nice place... (good music scene, too).

So jealous!

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo mei 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:People keep telling me Portland is a really nice place... (good music scene, too).

So jealous!

K.
And the beer. The beer is phenomenal there.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo mei 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Good music (not quite Seattle, but pretty close), great clubs, excellent food, awesome beer, and the highest per capita of strip clubs in the U.S. Plus, the fans in Portland create some fine atmosphere in their cozy stadium. Should be a great night.
Mark it 8, Dude.

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » wo mei 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Regarding the Leaky Roof pub/restaurant: it's pretty small. Only enough seating at the bar itself for maybe six people, and otherwise, seating at about a dozen tables. Not trying to dissuade you from going there, it's an okay place, but just saying.

I'll also add (all of these are within a couple blocks of the stadium):

Goose Hollow Inn -- http://www.goosehollowinn.com/ (decent outdoor patio if it's okay weather)

Bitter End Pub -- http://www.portlandbitterend.com/ (arguably the spiritual drinking home of the Timbers Army)

Cheerful Bullpen -- http://cheerfulbullpen.com/ (if you go here, check out the Timbers mural painted on the outside patio about 5-6 years ago)

Marathon Taverna -- http://www.yelp.com/biz/marathon-taverna-portland (it's a bit divey, but has some cheap eats and drinks)

And for a million other places around the city, visit http://portlandsoccerbars.com/

I live three blocks from the stadium, so if anyone has questions, let me know.

Plaats reactie