21 OCT 2014 Barcelona-Ajax CL Match Day #3

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SPL

Re: 21 OCT 2014 Barcelona-Ajax CL Match Day #3

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 22, 2014 11:16 am

I like Riedewald and he certainly played better than Zimling.Ajax have played him at LB,CD,DMF in the youths and Jong but he may well settle as a DMF.

One has to question de Boer and Overmars for bringing in a moderate player like Zimling only to see a kid ,just 18,playing better in front of 80000 and not even his regular position!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 22, 2014 12:10 pm

I thought it was a bit of a mistake to bring Riedewald on as DM. Would have rather seen him at LB with Viergever moving into the MF. I don't know if he has the qickness to play at DM and we was pretty well beaten on the play where he took the Yellow card. Despite this complaint, he has a good future with the club.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Here are some more thoughts on the tactics (or lack thereof) displayed yesterday. Being in the US I don't get a chance to see any of the youth matches so I don't know whether they are tactically as poor as the senior team. Until the club decides to move away from the build from the back static approach to offense they will do little more than win ugly matches. Sure Barca have much better players than Ajax but look how they created space on the pitch. Diagonal runs by players sucked Ajax defenders away from dangerous players (the first goal was 3-4 passes and then a wonderful finish by Neymar that Cillessen had no chance on. I think I counted only ONE time when Ajax had 4 passes in a row with players in space and that was in the second half when the club seemed to be more interested in trying to create something than in the first half.

The Nou Camp is a big field, presenting good opportunities for players to move to space yet Ajax continued there normal approach. The passing was way too soft and players continued to get trapped in 1 v 2 and 1 v 3 situations with no visible way out. You cannot keep passing to players near the touch line as Barca will eat you alive with their pressing.

In the Eredivise Ajax are able to move Moisander and Veltman into the offensive half of the field. Both are decent on the ball and able to make cross and upfield passes. Did they ever pass the halfway line once time last night? No, because they had to be more concerned with Barca breakaways because of poor passing and trapped players.

If Frank wants to continue to play meek football, good for him. I think we deserve better. We are seeing the NT adopt this same philosophy and it's very troubling.

Cruyff said something interesting on Monday. He was more interested in the youth match between Barca and Ajax as that would be a true measure of where Ajax stands regarding his "revolution." I didn't see the match but heard that Ajax did quite well. I don't expect any turn around until those players make it to the first team and of course they will need a new manager! I hope Jonk, Overmars, and van der Sar recognize this as well.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Oranje ,agree your observation on Riedewald but my post earlier just points out the kid,18 last month, may not have been that great at DM last night but was still better than Zimling.

One big difference between our first team and our Jong Ajax and U19 youth is in the make up in the front 3 .
Our youths yesterday had 3 quick mobile forwards with El Idrissi in the centre very mobile and quick. Muric doesn't play for our A1 but another talented local kid Vince Gino Dekker plays on the wing. At Jong level we have Becker ,Acolatse and Muric as mobile wingers ,Menig is used as a striker but is fast and mobile.Zivkovic I have not seen much so far but I believe is also in this same mold.

Turn to our first team and we have a striker who is as slow as a donkey and has the turning speed of a tank.El Ghazi and Kishna are both just out the youths ,not probably ready for 90 mins a game and on the other "wing"
a midfielder in Schone and for good measure Andersen has played wing.

I would like to see 2 proper wingers and a mobile striker in our first just like we use in the Junior ranks. Milik seems to fit the mobile role but at present neither of the young wingers are completely ready and El Ghazi is rated as a future striker.

Talk of Schone going in January and hopefully Siggy will also go so maybe after the winter break I may get my wish.

NB We could lose more than those 2 in January,Napoli were looking at Moisander last night and is expected to leave then. Duarte and Sana have no chances of breaking through and should also go then.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 22, 2014 7:41 pm

@SPL - Moisander had a good match last evening so the scouts must have thought well of him. If we are not in Europe makes sense to let him go.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do okt 23, 2014 9:06 am

We lost our chances to go through in Cyprus, not in Barcelona.
We should be better for the return game, with Boilesen, Serero, and hopefully more of Milik, and El Ghazi.
Afbeelding
Appie, stay strong !

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do okt 23, 2014 9:10 am

Orange14 schreef:@SPL - Moisander had a good match last evening so the scouts must have thought well of him. If we are not in Europe makes sense to let him go.

We'll play the Europa League. But I think it's time to let him go.
Appie, stay strong !

Plaats reactie