Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

24 Feb 2005: AJ Auxerre - Ajax

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 18, 2005 7:36 am

Only a week until the return leg...

We're 1-0 up, which means in practice that one goal will almost certainly see us through. I'm sure Auxerre can be better than they were at the ArenA (although more attacking will also make them more vulnerable), but I really can't see them score three goals against us. They just seem to have lost it a bit. They're not as good as they were a few years ago.

I say: we require one goal and let's go for that. Don't lean back and play defensively, but go out and try to score a goal. An early one will knock them out - and we can finally have a relaxed away game in Europe (been a while...).

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 21, 2005 1:23 pm

Bad feeling about this one...

We only require one goal - and that situation will probably remain unchanged for 90 minutes: whether it's 0-0, or 1-0 to Auxerre or even 2-0 to Auxerre - we will require just just a single goal and we're through.

But I fear that Koeman will not go for this goal, but lean back. Ajax will focus on their defense and panic if they concede one (which is unnecessary).

After yesterday's anti-Koeman atmopshere during the Den Bosch game it is a safe bet that hell will break lose if we f#ck this one up.

K.
Still alive...

Marillion
Site Admin

Bericht door Marillion » ma feb 21, 2005 4:39 pm

I think it's an advantage that this is an away game. Ajax has been performing better in away games then at home. Auxerre failed to make a good impression in the first game.

Their defense looked weak and I also think that the keeper isn't to good. He had problems with high crosses and corners. I agree with you that one goal should be enough. Let's hope that Koeman thinks the same about this game and that he will not let Ajax play to defensive. We haven't got the right players for that.

Mr. Ajax

Bericht door Mr. Ajax » ma feb 21, 2005 6:04 pm

Away game or not, I plead for the 'AZ tactic'; Get a goal in prefferably during the first 10 minutes to more or less secure a good mood to the game. My only worry here is that Koeman will probably instruct AJAX to lean back after that one goal if not before... :sad:
- Je bent net zolang gestoord tot je een genie bent -

Wie kent Cees de Wolf nog
AT Toto winner 09/10

Bericht door Wie kent Cees de Wolf nog » ma feb 21, 2005 9:28 pm

I actually expect Auxerre to play the AZ-tactics: they need an early goal for sure. I assume all Ajax has to do is score; this will implicate that Auxerre needs at least three goals. Altough Ajax is definately not at it's best, I can't see our club concede that many goals.

Under normal circumstances, Ajax should reach the next round. But what are normal circunstances these days? :sad:
“Freedom! Football is freedom.” Bob Marley

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Team news...

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 22, 2005 1:42 pm

Rafaël van der Vaart did not train with the Ajax squad on Tuesday. The midfielder has the flu and is in bed. It is as yet uncertain whether he will be available to coach Ronald Koeman in Thursday's UEFA Cup fixture at Auxerre or not.

As a precaution Koeman will have twenty players along to Auxerre (the maximum for the actual match squad is 18 players). Wesley Sneijder has recovered from a hamstring injury and has been added to the squad. Nigel de Jong was suspended for the Eredivisie last Sunday, but is available against Auxerre. Brazilian left fullback Filipe is in Koeman's squad of twenty.

Steven Pienaar, Tomás Galásek, Hans Vonk and Zdenek Grygera are still injured, whereas Angelos Charisteas is not eligible for Ajax's European matches.

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo feb 23, 2005 5:27 am

Better Charisteas isn't available. Anastasiou, hardly a world beater, looked better in 13 minutes on Sunday than Charisteas in 70.Babel also had more moments of sheer class and excellence in his stint than Charisteas.

I too fear Ajax will not go for the juglar, given RK's pretzel logic of late. After his decent performance last Wednesday , I wonder if Lindgren starts if VdV can't go.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Van der Vaart out

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 23, 2005 10:43 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Rafaël van der Vaart did not train with the Ajax squad on Tuesday. The midfielder has the flu and is in bed. It is as yet uncertain whether he will be available to coach Ronald Koeman in Thursday's UEFA Cup fixture at Auxerre or not.
And the answer is 'no'.

Van der Vaart is down with the flu. A squad of 19, without Raffy, left for Auxerre this morning. Well, let's hope Sneijder is match fit then.

The squad in full (as published on Ajax.nl): Bogdan Lobont, Hatem Trabelsi, John Heitinga, Julien Escudé, Maxwell, Mauro Rosales, Anthony Obodai, Nigel de Jong, Yannis Anastasiou, Wesley Sneijder, Daniël de Ridder, Rasmus Lindgren, Hedwiges Maduro, Urby Emanuelson, Filipe Kasmirski, Ryan Babel, Nourdin Boukhari, Nicolae Mitea and Maarten Stekelenburg.

By the way: the trip to Auxerre is not very smooth. Due to the snowfall around the town of Auxerre they couldn't land at Auxerre airport. They're now landing in Dijon and will be transported by coach from there.

Snowfall, huh...? Remember the last European game that had conditions like that? Brugge away... We just don't seem to like it. :huh:

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo feb 23, 2005 2:02 pm

Given all the injuries, weather headaches,etc., a result which would put Ajax thru would be incredibly satisfying against the backdrop of this painful to witness season.

P.S.... The thought of Raffie receiving bedside care from the beautiful Sylvie ....some guys have all the luck.

Liberty
Contacteer:

Re: Van der Vaart out

Bericht door Liberty » wo feb 23, 2005 2:54 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Snowfall, huh...? Remember the last European game that had conditions like that? Brugge away... We just don't seem to like it. :huh:

K.
We have players from Greece, Brazil, Argentina, France, Tunesia and South Africa. Of course this team doesn't like the chilly conditions.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Re: Van der Vaart out

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 23, 2005 5:18 pm

Liberty schreef:We have players from Greece, Brazil, Argentina, France, Tunesia and South Africa. Of course this team doesn't like the chilly conditions.
Ah... Now I understand.

X'D

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do feb 24, 2005 2:55 pm

Six hours and counting... :blub:

Expected Ajax line-up according to Ajax Netwerk:

---------------------- Stekelenburg ---------------------------

Trabelsi ------- De Jong -------- Escudé ---------- Maxwell

Sneijder ---------------- Heitinga ---------------- Lindgren

Rosales ------------------ Babel ------------------ Boukhari

Probably right - and I kind of, sort of agree with it. The only thing I would consider would be Obodai instead of Lindgren (Obodai on the right, Sneijder on the left). But this is fine with me, too.

Too bad for Ridders, but I honestly don't see a starting slot for him in this game. Maybe on Sunday for the league, when we can play with two offensive midfielders instead of one.

EDIT:
Match preview on UEFA.com:
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEFACu ... index.html

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

First half summary!

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do feb 24, 2005 9:44 pm

RYAN BABEL IS GOD! :blub: :blub: :blub:

What a f#cking GREAT goal - and sweet Jesus, was it an important one. We were basically trampled under foot in the first fifteen minutes. Auxerre had three 100% chances and a goal was a matter of time. Kalou scored it (header, 31st minute). It looked pretty bad.

But then Ajax scored from their first proper attack. Nice little pass from Rosales to Trabelsi, who pulled it back to the edge of the penalty box - and there was Babel: BANG, 1-1. Stunning goal, which will (probably) see us through in the end.

GREAT half-time score after a first half that seemed to turn into a catastrophe.

Second half!!

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do feb 24, 2005 10:14 pm

Imagine my surprise to read on UEFA.com play-by-play:
24' After a pulsating start from the home side, the visitors are coming much more into the match now and here they come with John O'Brien, but the man who is soon to leave the club sees his cross blocked
Surely that's a mistake. John didn't travel to France and surely isn't playing. The line-up doesn't include his name... What a gaffe by the commentator. :eusa_liar:

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do feb 24, 2005 10:16 pm

Come on boys, 20 more minutes... This is ominous. It feels like the Milan game... :eusa_pray:

Feest

Bericht door Feest » do feb 24, 2005 10:28 pm

It's 3-1 now.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do feb 24, 2005 10:29 pm

I knew it. I just knew it. I'm not even surprised.

__earth
Contacteer:

Bericht door __earth » do feb 24, 2005 10:32 pm

heartbreaking.

And Koeman is toasted.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Re: First half summary!

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do feb 24, 2005 10:36 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Stunning goal, which will (probably) see us through in the end.
Oh well - I should have known better.

It doesn't even hurt anymore.

K.
Still alive...

BPBlueSox
Contacteer:

Bericht door BPBlueSox » do feb 24, 2005 10:40 pm

Koeman is one stupid fucker.

ajaxnumberone
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxnumberone » do feb 24, 2005 10:40 pm

So Sad ! I don't know what happened but Ajax lost in the end of the match. :aai:

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do feb 24, 2005 10:43 pm

I hope the management and the coaches rot in hell..or Den Haag, which ever is worse . Ajax is now a running joke . Really pathetic and gutless. :redcard: to Jaakk-ass, Van Idioten, Slop, Koeman, and the rest.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 24, 2005 10:52 pm

Got to say that Auxerre deserved to go through on the night. Babel's goal was superb but our only sniff at goal.

MOM Stekelenberg He was brilliant and but for him we would have lost by 6. The defence was woeful, midfield not much better. Sneijder probably not match fit after an injury and Obodai!! was he on the park!!

One final point De Jong is and never will be a central defender.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do feb 24, 2005 10:52 pm

I didnt' want to follow the whole match ....I logged on from work like 20 minutes from the end. I was already expecting disaster, but then we were winning on away goals!!!

And then this.

I just don't want to take this anymore. Its too difficult. I mean right now, I'm not even shocked, which is the saddest part.

Please for everyone's sake, Koeman, we had 1 great year with you & you stayed with us for 2 more years. But seriously ...please go ....NOW.

I had this question....did he put Maduro on while they were taking the corner from which they scored or was it before the corner??

If he actually did that substitution during the corner, then I dunno what to say.

I mean, just for the good of everyone.....Koeman has to go. This team is going nowhere.

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » do feb 24, 2005 10:58 pm

Two seasons of decay in a row with one certain thing - our idiotic managers of all levels... Koeman's teams can perform well only if they have a lucky day, there' no other way .

Plaats reactie