30 Nov 2006: Ajax - RCD Espanyol

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ferry

Bericht door ferry » vr dec 01, 2006 12:13 pm

It's difficult to point to a single reason of the decrease in performance, I think. It's probably a combination of factors:
- Jaap Stam and Urby Emanuelson weren't playing last night. Okay, we also played poorly in the last couple of games where they were on the pitch, but their absence didn't help either.
- Babel. It's mentioned above by someone, he seems to be able to make a difference in this team. He's a dangerous weapon with his speed and technical skills.
- Self Confidence. The lost game against psv has had apparently more impact then we could imagine. The last couple of games were similar to what we've seen last season; slow play, no movement without the ball, no depth in the passing... It's all too careful, they're too scared.
- we don't have MEN. The guys from Espanyol were all bigger and stronger. Probably smarter in the game as well. (or more experienced)
Of course Ajax shouldn't aim to have 11 butchers on the pitch, there should always be place for the creative players like Sneijder, but a bit more 'body' would probably help as well.

I don't know. On the other hand we've seen better from this same Ajax, so they can do better than what we've seen agains the Sparta's and Espanyol. Food for Psychologists if you'd ask me! (or just a massive win against Willem II this weekend)

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr dec 01, 2006 1:43 pm

Still alive...

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » vr dec 01, 2006 1:50 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Match report is up!

http://www.ajax-usa.com/matches/m06-07/ ... arena.html

K.
You are in Laaaandaaan mate, get your arse oot for a pint or something and forget all about this. See you later
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » vr dec 01, 2006 2:01 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef: Lets then try a different tack and ask you what would you do to turn the season around?
:headbang: :headbang:
Hi OPH. Hope you're OK. Now, the way to turn the season round.
First:
A win against Willem; that would instill some confidence. (a win against anyone should instil some confidence1)
Second: The return of Ryan Babel, playing on either wing. (He is the only "winger" who moves infield to help KJH)

Third
: The continued backing of the supporters! (It's no use abusing the players! They are trying...it's just confidence!)The season will be turned round soon.....alas, the championship looks asthough it's gone...for this year!

COME ON AJAX

:xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:
34 will always be with us

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr dec 01, 2006 2:16 pm

SaddlerIan schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef: Lets then try a different tack and ask you what would you do to turn the season around?
:headbang: :headbang:
Hi OPH. Hope you're OK. Now, the way to turn the season round.
First:
A win against Willem; that would instill some confidence. (a win against anyone should instil some confidence1)
Second: The return of Ryan Babel, playing on either wing. (He is the only "winger" who moves infield to help KJH)

Third
: The continued backing of the supporters! (It's no use abusing the players! They are trying...it's just confidence!)The season will be turned round soon.....alas, the championship looks asthough it's gone...for this year!

COME ON AJAX

:xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:
Hi there Mr S - We are okish at the moment but as things are destined to get a lot worse over the coming couple of months we take it a day at a time.
I am hoping to make it to Sunday's game and the following week against AZ (and of course the darts challenge - is that still on?). I am convinced that the lads will turn it on against WII and AZ and blow all our troubles away. Well that or maybe a few bock beers. :xyxthumbs:

Maybe Babel is the holy grail in all of this. It is certainly beginning to look that way. I spent a good couple of years moaning and groaning about Zlatan (bet Per remembers that :D ) and maybe our Mr Babel is destined to fall into the same category of the ugly duckling that turns into a beautiful swan. Lets hope so.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr dec 01, 2006 3:43 pm

We should be able to beat Zulte, who are 17th in Belgium league, and at least finish 2nd in the group but the way we are playing at present i would not hold my breath! If they put 4 past us then we really are stuffed!!

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr dec 01, 2006 5:40 pm

SPL schreef:We should be able to beat Zulte, who are 17th in Belgium league, and at least finish 2nd in the group but the way we are playing at present i would not hold my breath! If they put 4 past us then we really are stuffed!!
I'll eat my Ajax Cap if that happens, then again we lost too the spanish league #14 so I guess anything can happen X'C

I'll just have too ad some Ketchup too my cap :yes: :sad: X'C
BRING IT ON !!!!...

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » vr dec 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
I am hoping to make it to Sunday's game and the following week against AZ (and of course the darts challenge - is that still on?).

Maybe Babel is the holy grail in all of this. It is certainly beginning to look that way. I spent a good couple of years moaning and groaning about Zlatan (bet Per remembers that :D ) and maybe our Mr Babel is destined to fall into the same category of the ugly duckling that turns into a beautiful swan. Lets hope so.
Hi Mr B. The darts is definitely on, but Brian can't make it!!! I've got the two "youngsters" from last time, Neil & Scott, but don't YOU fancy a game? It's just some light hearted fun with other Brits, (The Dutch lads seem to be taking it seriously!!), but the lowest we can come is second!

Roll on "The Return of Babel", OR Babel 2.

See you for AZ game. Ibis again for us!

Chin up!

:xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs: :
34 will always be with us

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » za dec 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Lets then try a different tack and ask you what would you do to turn the season around?
it's a tricky question : now that HTC is our coach, the best thing is to let him do the job, hopefully learn from his mistakes, and revert to a 3-4-3 tactic with wingers
Appie, stay strong !

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo dec 03, 2006 12:12 am

philippe schreef:
Lets then try a different tack and ask you what would you do to turn the season around?
it's a tricky question : now that HTC is our coach, the best thing is to let him do the job, hopefully learn from his mistakes, and revert to a 3-4-3 tactic with wingers
Let's remember that this club has been in a downward spiral for essentially much of three seasons, since Koeman was in charge. Winning the eredivisie with Co's men just hid that for a while.

Once the players start learning how to lose, it takes a lot to re-teach them how to win, and instill a winning mentality.

We were all stoked with the great start to the season, but there isn't a whole lot of depth there, and the club still has a lot to learn.

It is important to keep these things in mind. It will take time to turn this team into a winner.

And HTC has a learning curve as well. This is going to be a crucial period for him.

We'll see what happens.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Plaats reactie