11 Dec 2013: AC Milan - Ajax

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Philippe
Contacteer:

Re: 11 Dec 2013: AC Milan - Ajax

Bericht door Philippe » do dec 12, 2013 11:36 am

King Litti schreef:
SPL schreef:But yes we should focus on winning the Eredivisie. With our luck we will draw Napoli or Benfica by the way.
It's not luck but the strange UEFA rules : we are among the "worst" 3rd from the CL due to goal difference.
So we'll get a tough opponent for sure.

Let's concentrate on the Dutch League.
Appie, stay strong !

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 12, 2013 2:20 pm

SPL schreef: In the end we are unlucky not to be in the last 16 and now its Thursday nights and Europa Cup. We need to concentrate on the league though.
I completely agree. Europa League doesn't provide much in the way of €s and only offers bad travel fixtures and chances for players getting injured. I would rather see us send out second stringers for these matches unless it's a big team that we are playing (e.g., Juventus who also join us there).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do dec 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Have to say I really do not want us to start having to play loads of Thursday night Europa games and it getting in the way of winning the title. I hope we draw Spurs or a big club , get ko'd and make some money from our gate .
Winning the title is our only aim now not the Europa Cup.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Didn't know about the fan violence and from this story it appears that some Ajax supporters were complicit: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16486 ... ue?cc=5901 Also there should be links to the post-match interviews from de Boer and Aleghri; interesting to hear the responses from each one.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 12, 2013 2:36 pm

SPL schreef:Have to say I really do not want us to start having to play loads of Thursday night Europa games and it getting in the way of winning the title. I hope we draw Spurs or a big club , get ko'd and make some money from our gate .
Winning the title is our only aim now not the Europa Cup.
http://espnfc.com/tables/_/league/uefa. ... ue?cc=5901 lists the current Table standings for the Europa League pools. There are a lot of terrible teams that will qualify and I certainly don't want to see us draw Rubin Kazan! Several years ago FC Twente had a match in Russia when it was -20C or something like that; players had to wear tights, caps and gloves. Spurs are the only decent club in the pools though we could draw Lyon and exact revenge for what happened in the CL three seasons ago. Juventus are the only other club that I'm interested in seeing us play as they don't play anti-football. The problem with all the possible EL match ups is that we are better than most all of the teams and might seriously win some matches here thus harming our league chances.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Finally here is the right quote that encapsulates the frustration from yesterday, "They can never beat you, buy you can lose against them…. Johan Cruijff answered a reporter in 1995, days before Ajax won the Champions League against AC Milan. What were Ajax chances against the Italians, was the question. The answer is so true. Everybody got what he meant. Except for the reporter…" So true today!!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do dec 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Ajax were simply like a bunch of 18 year old virgins that wandered into the San Siro brothel to be confronted by a bunch of ugly, cynical, old whores....
There was only ever one side that was going to get ripped off.

:aai.gif:

(Not that I'm speaking from personal experience of course :hypocrite.gif: )
Laatst gewijzigd door Manneken Pis op do dec 12, 2013 10:33 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do dec 12, 2013 7:29 pm

MP Love your post above what a great description .Not sure Poulsen can be described as an 18 year old virgin!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do dec 12, 2013 10:34 pm

SPL schreef:MP Love your post above what a great description .Not sure Poulsen can be described as an 18 year old virgin!

Fair comment.
I guess with him coming off I forgot about that!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr dec 13, 2013 12:04 am

@Manneken Pis - you win the trophy for the best concise summary of the match as well as the funniest...... Well Done
Laatst gewijzigd door Orange14 op vr dec 13, 2013 11:58 am, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr dec 13, 2013 1:49 am

Manneken Pis schreef:
SPL schreef:MP Love your post above what a great description .Not sure Poulsen can be described as an 18 year old virgin!

Fair comment.
I guess with him coming off I forgot about that!
His coming off, is the epitomy of your quote. The just wanted to discard any threat to them. Them whores...
May the Force be with you

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr dec 13, 2013 6:05 am

Manneken Pis, that was fucking hilarious! We should award you with the comment of the year! :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za dec 14, 2013 10:54 am

If only Frank started Ligeon at left back, and Blind in midfield instead of Poulsen, oh well. That is that. Btw guys what is this nonsense about Ajax being in the Europa league isnt good for the domestic fixtures, wtf???? What kind of attitude is that? How come other teams are able to cope? I have never heard this about any other team, its just a kop out. No excuses. Ajax should go for all competitions they are involved in.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » za dec 14, 2013 11:21 am

Amen Ayman, we should go for this for 100%. The Europa League will still bring fantastic matches to our stadium!
Orange14 schreef:I guess Juventus are not seeded as well. :drecul.gif: By my reckoning there are only three "very" good teams (highlighted above). I think that SPL said it best on the Milan game thread, lets get the best possible team that will fill our and their arena so we can maximize the money we make on the match (and I think only Spurs fall into this category). My wish would be Spurs in the first round and if we defeat them Juve in the second round.
I don't agree at all about your money talk. Me too wants to go to Whitehart Lane, but why right now? We can draw them one or two rounds later, Ajax is able to beat most of these opponents. For me a trip to Maribor would be very cool, but Basel, Leverkusen or KRC Genk would be perfect. Then I can just drive our car to the away match.

Collecting as much money (and Europa coëfficient points) as possible means staying in this Europa Cup for as many rounds as possible. The game against Steaua Boekarest was sold out by the way, a huge difference with PSV Eindhoven. Only 12.000 fans in their stadium against Napoli, 51.000 in Amsterdam Arena and a great atmosphere at Ajax - Steaua Boekarest! :biggthumpup.gif:

Let's go for this one hundred percent...! These matches are so much nicer than watching Ajax - Utrecht or Ajax - RKC Waalwijk at Amsterdam Arena...!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za dec 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Five years ago when we hadn't won an eredivisie in years I may have agreed that we don't want to waste energy in the UEFA cup. But we've won three in a row and firstly, it would hardly be a disaster if we finish second this season, and secondly, what's the point ignoring UEFA competitions (we can't win the CL) and just winning the eredivisie every year?

I doubt any Ajax player would be thinking 'I don't want to play in the UEFA Cup because it's cold in Moscow'...! These guys are professional athletes, that means they want to compete no matter what.

I'd also like to see some data on this 'European hangover' phenomenon. Does anyone have a link? Last time I read about it, maybe five years ago, I think away games in EU competitions cost about 1.5 points over the whole season (that is, you have to make the final to pay the full cost).

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » zo dec 15, 2013 11:06 am

Manneken Pis schreef:Ajax were simply like a bunch of 18 year old virgins that wandered into the San Siro brothel to be confronted by a bunch of ugly, cynical, old whores....
There was only ever one side that was going to get ripped off.
Classic. lol

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr dec 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Zonal Marking review of the game for those getting bored of the seasonal distractions and missing football already....

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2013/12/12/ ... h-ten-men/

Cheers,

MP

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » vr dec 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Good read -- thanks -- sounds like the analysis was spot on.

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » za dec 28, 2013 2:23 pm

The analysis is somewhat good but they missed a key point there - the quality of our attacking players. Schøne is a midfielder playing out of position and Bojan with Fisher scored 5 goals together for the first half of the season.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma jan 06, 2014 3:44 pm

very interesting article. Thanks. Worth mentionning we missed Siem De Jong ...
Appie, stay strong !

Plaats reactie