10 DEC 2019; Ajax - Valencia; CL Group Game 6

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

kezme44

Re: 10 DEC 2019; Ajax - Valencia; CL Group Game 6

Bericht door kezme44 » di dec 10, 2019 10:58 pm

yup, could see this one coming months ago. surprised siem de jong didn't save the day. we barely had any shots on goal in a game where we only needed a draw and which would have gotten us to the knockout rounds of the cl

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di dec 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Gutted and should been another 5 mins for time wasting but like last Friday we would not have scored.

Yes the ref at Chelsea cheated us but the bottom line is Chelsea and Valencia both won in Amsterdam and we cannot complain. If you have to end up with Siem de Jong coming on well again words fail me.

So Thursday night Europa League and lets just win the title.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di dec 10, 2019 11:05 pm

Well... we *were* unlucky in that we won two of the three ties in the group and that’s normally enough to go through. But the bubble around Ajax from this season and last season has really burst now.

Can’t complain much because we didn’t look like scoring at any point tonight. Losing Promes and maybe also Neres just took too much attacking sting away and we didn’t have the depth to cover those positions.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di dec 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Ajax had to confront another 4-4-2 and just as in Friday's game against Willem II, Ajax could not score. They conceded an early goal and then in the waning stages of the game lost whatever composure they had, unnerved by Valencia's stalling tactics. Off it is to the Europa league with a questionable team given the injuries and the upcoming January transfer window when we could see some players leave. It's disappointing that the two key Ajax wingers missed this match but the seeds of destruction came in London when could not hold off Chelsea in a match they should have easily won.

Onana (6.5) - made one good save and then drew a late YC so he will be suspended for the first EL match
Tagliafico (5) - could not generate any offense against the packed in defense
Blind (6) - decent passing
Veltman (5.5) - kept the Valencia man onsides for the winning goal
Mazraoui (6) - generally decent on the night moving up to the MF in the 2nd half
Martinez (6) - won more challenges than he lost
Alvarez (4) - just too slow with the ball to be a MF on this team
van de Beek (5.5) - just could not seem to figure out how to play against this defense
Ziyech (6.5) - scuffed the best chance of the night
Lang (4.5) - poor and looked scared when he had the ball
Tadic (6) - couldn't pull a rabbit out of his hat
Dest (6) - really worked hard trying to keep the ball going forward
Huntelaar (5) - had no impact at all
de Jong (NR) - I hope this is his last season with Ajax

Big match in Alkmaar on Sunday and I see a let down coming up.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di dec 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Valencia not very good, but we were very bad, so that's what happens...

More bitter about the Chelsea games' VAR incidents than these drama queens, but it's done and dusted now. If we don't start the sell off in the winter transfer window we should have a decent shot in the Europa League I guess.

Back to focusing on winning the league title for now.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di dec 10, 2019 11:12 pm

Agree Valencia were not very good but we could not beat a poor team .

Think we will keep our squad in the winter although surely Siem should be sold off .

Need to beat AZ but they will be hyped up playing at home again.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di dec 10, 2019 11:27 pm

All the big money teams go though to the next round which is no surprise. I don't know whether I will watch any CL matches next year as things are so predictable. I will support Dortmund as they are the only club that seems to be like Ajax, trying to find and nurture good young players rather than buy them.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo dec 11, 2019 8:57 am

I won't be watching anymore CL (never do except Dutch teams anyway).

Looking back, in the group we beat Lille twice (turns out that was no big deal), and only got 4 points out of 12 against the stronger teams. So despite everything (VAR, play acting, etc), that's just not good enough.

Genuinely interested to see how far we can go in the Europa League though (assuming no nonchalance).

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo dec 11, 2019 1:03 pm

I too wont follow CL now Ajax are out. We lost 3 players last summer and although Martinez has played well we miss Schone's goals especially his freekicks. Alvarez for Frenkie and Veltman for Matthijs are simply poor. Alvarez is not even a MF.

Bottom line if we cannot even draw at home to a poor Valencia we should not moan.We are not good enough with just one fit forward and Tadic is struggling for goals this season. KJH is still ok as a pinch hitter v smaller Dutch sides but barely touched a ball last night.

Siem de Jong!!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth is he doing being played.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo dec 11, 2019 1:32 pm

SPL schreef: Siem de Jong!!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth is he doing being played.
Just shows how thin the squad is once we get a few injuries I'm afraid.

Also felt last night that we pumped endless ineffective crosses into the box. You could tell after 20 minutes that that wasn't going to work.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo dec 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Bram van der Ploeg over at AjaxShowtime has a good analysis of yesterday's match: https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/articl...b ... uciale-pot The most interesting point is his comment that Ajax were unbalanced by moving van de Beek up to #10 and Ziyech to the wing which is not how they had been playing prior to the injuries to Neres and Promes. Maybe he was correct that Ajax should have brought in Sontje Hansen to play on the wing so that Ziyech could roam freely in the MF and van de Beek would have then guarded Parejo from the beginning of the match. It would have been a ballsy move by ETH and one in keeping with Ajax philosophy of throwing young players into big games. Maybe it would have worked.

I'm moving on now and thinking of the match coming up on Sunday. It's too bad the CL adventure ended up this way but as Ajax supporters these days we are often disappointed.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo dec 11, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm still trying to get over the game. We really were never able to handle the loss of 3 players (2 starters and a sub). Last year we lost Neres during a crucial period and that cost us the game against Spurs.

I couldn't see the entire game yesterday, but there were so many missed passes by the entire team. The 2 missed passes by Veltman and then Lang eventually led to the counter which Valencia scored on. Veltman of course didn't hold the line and kept the Valencia goal-scorer onside.

I'm not sure how the team gets back to play AZ this weekend. Also there's an ill-advised trip to Qatar coming up in the winter break.

I'm still trying to figure out what to feel right now.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo dec 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Also why couldn't Traore come on yesterday instead of Siem?

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo dec 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Agree about Traore instead of Siem.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo dec 11, 2019 7:49 pm

SPL schreef:Agree about Traore instead of Siem.
I think the only reason for Siem is that he's decent in the air. I don't know about Traore. Ajax really need to see what Traore can do. I'm not sure Huntelaar stays on for another year and we do need a proper #9.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo dec 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Reading online there should have been 14 mins of extra time in the 2nd half! Those extra 8 mins still would not have seen us score.

Probably do need to get another striker who plays in the Ajax way. I love KJH but he is good in a system where you just lump the ball high into the area.Sadly he has been ineffective these last 2 games and not sure we should give him another year.

PS Shaktar Donetsk just got beaten by Atlanta and are now in Europa League .Good news for Holland as Ukraine probably wont catch us for 9th place in co-efficients. Top 10 will mean automatic qualification for champs for the next 2 seasons.Next season already certain but this years co-efficients are for 2 seasons time.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo dec 11, 2019 10:19 pm

SPL schreef:Reading online there should have been 14 mins of extra time in the 2nd half! Those extra 8 mins still would not have seen us score.

Probably do need to get another striker who plays in the Ajax way. I love KJH but he is good in a system where you just lump the ball high into the area.Sadly he has been ineffective these last 2 games and not sure we should give him another year.

PS Shaktar Donetsk just got beaten by Atlanta and are now in Europa League .Good news for Holland as Ukraine probably wont catch us for 9th place in co-efficients. Top 10 will mean automatic qualification for champs for the next 2 seasons.Next season already certain but this years co-efficients are for 2 seasons time.
We didn't appear to really have many scoring chances in the first 90 minutes. So agreed that an extra 8 minutes wouldn't have done much. Also - 14 minutes of Extra Time!?!? That just sounds crazy.

I'm still upset that Dolberg didn't decide to stay back and fight. I'm very disappointed in his decision.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 12, 2019 4:07 am

Regarding the referee, he was very kind to Tagliafico who should have received a RC for the tackle near the end of normal time. It was a goal scoring opportunity as Veltman would never get over in time.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do dec 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Agree about Tagliafico he should have got a red .

On the 14 mins it was broken down roughly to 3mins for subs , 3 mins for Blind being treated ,2 mins for Paulista being treated,3 mins delay over the free kick where Tagliafico was booked ,and finally Paulista took 2 mins to leave the field.

We would never have scored had we played another hour.Same v Willem which is very worrying.

Plaats reactie