07 MAR 2020; Heerenveen - Ajax; Match Day 28

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Tom_

Re: 07 MAR 2020; Heerenveen - Ajax; Match Day 28

Bericht door Tom_ » za mar 07, 2020 10:45 pm

We needed that. Three messy goals though and if Heerenveen has scored in the first half I think we would’ve been in trouble again. Hope we can get some momentum going for the last 9 games. IIRC AZ have to play against Feyenoord and PSV in the run in. We have away games at Utrecht and Feyenoord coming up.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mar 07, 2020 10:46 pm

Utter relief we have won a game.I was in shock when Tadic got the 1st but 3 in 6 mins was just wonderful and suddenly we were starting to play football again.

From what I saw Jurrien Timber does look like a good prospect.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za mar 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Finally some goals!!! Thanks to some good work by Onana and a fluffed attempt at an open goal, Ajax went into the second half at 0-0. Tadic got a gift for the first Ajax goal and then played like a demon the rest of the half. Let's hope that this gets the team out of its funk and they can move on now. Tadic gave Dest a tongue lashing near the end of the first half, I guess for being to lackadaisical about overlapping. What's weird is that Ajax actually defended pretty well when everyone was in place and they were not getting caught up field. Good debut for Jurrien Timber.

Player Ratings:

Onana (7.5) - some world class saves in this match
Tagliafico (7) - quite good all around match
Blind (5.5) - some bad give aways and he really cannot defend on counters because he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW
J. Timber (6) - gave away a dangerous free kick very early on but played on with a YC, doing a decent job
Dest (6) - don't know what the dust up was about but he was decent on the night
Martinez (6.5) - did a good job controlling the MF
van de Beek (6.5) - put in a solid shift
Ziyech (6) - OK in parts of the match and just ordinary in others, angry at being taken off but he was getting too lazy and need to come off
Promes (6.5) - looks to be fully fit now and blasted the third goal
Traore (6) - worked hard all night long and had the sense to work hard after missing a shot to pass to an open Promes
Tadic (7.5) - MOTM and played with huge desire all night long
Gravenberch (5.5) - some good possession coming on late for Ziyech
Huntelaar (5) - always a supporter favorite at the home of the first club he played for
Alvarez (NR) - on late for Timber who cramped up.

Home to Twente next week and I think followed by a midweek make up match in Utrecht before the Klassiker
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mar 07, 2020 11:00 pm

Agree great game by Tadic

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za mar 07, 2020 11:09 pm

I thought the commentator said 9th April for Utrecht but I may be remembering incorrectly. Either way it’s two tough away games and we want to beat Twente to be going in to them in better form.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za mar 07, 2020 11:49 pm

Tom_ schreef:
za mar 07, 2020 11:09 pm
I thought the commentator said 9th April for Utrecht but I may be remembering incorrectly. Either way it’s two tough away games and we want to beat Twente to be going in to them in better form.
Yes, you are correct. That's the date. Feyenoord also have a make up game in mid-week against AZ; April 8
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mar 08, 2020 1:44 pm

Feeling a lot better this morning , a win last night was so important and clearly lifted the players and the fans.I was calling for ETH's head as I thought he had lost the team.I do believe last night would have been the end for him had we lost but full marks to him for taking a hugh risk with Jurrien Timber.Had we lost ,and Jurrien made a mistake, like Alvarez's pen or Blind's recent errors or Schuurs howler away to AZ, ETH would have been destroyed by the press and fans.

A win plus 4 teenagers used last night ,nothing better in football.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo mar 08, 2020 1:54 pm

Statistically the team was not as good as in recent losses. Passing percentage was down and they did not have as many shots. Fortunately, they were able to get some close in shots which was not happening in the losses. There continues to be tremendous concern about how susceptible they are to counters when the ball is cheaply given away. this is the one big difference between last year's team which seldom gave up cheap goals that way. The two CBs seem to be out of position most of the time, maybe too concerned about getting position for offense rather than seeing where the opposing striker is who can easily break free.

Plaats reactie