07 MAR 2021; Ajax - Groningen; Match Day 24

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

07 MAR 2021; Ajax - Groningen; Match Day 24

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Ajax host Groningen this Sunday and hope to avenge an earlier away defeat. The visitors are in 6th place and only Ajax have conceded fewer goals. This is likely to be a closely fought match given all fixtures Ajax are dealing with. PSV are away to Fortuna Sittard and AZ and Vitesse play each other.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

GangstaRiB

Re: 07 MAR 2021; Ajax - Groningen; Match Day 24

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do mar 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Orange14 schreef:
do mar 04, 2021 4:30 pm
Ajax host Groningen this Sunday and hope to avenge an earlier away defeat. The visitors are in 6th place and only Ajax have conceded fewer goals. This is likely to be a closely fought match given all fixtures Ajax are dealing with. PSV are away to Fortuna Sittard and AZ and Vitesse play each other.
Yep. This will be a very difficult game. Heerenveen didn’t put up a fight, but Groningen will. They are not starstruck, thanks to their coach (ex Feyenoord). And at the same time they are pretty hard to beat. In my opinion this will be a deciding game. If we win this, a big hurdle will be taken.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mar 07, 2021 12:11 pm

Good morning to all, Alvarez at Cd ,Tagliafico back , Neres starts and Blind rested.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo mar 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Well we should be 3–0 and cruising but somehow it’s only 1–0, and some dreadful giveaways have me worried about coughing up a goal or two.

After I praised Haller’s link up play his passing has been a disaster today! Did he complete a single one?

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo mar 07, 2021 1:11 pm

When you miss as many gold plate chances as we did, there's always the feeling that it will come back to haunt you.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo mar 07, 2021 1:32 pm

2–0.

Tadic has been excellent today - maybe we need Dumfries to insult him more often, if this is how he responds

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mar 07, 2021 2:17 pm

A comfortable win in the end ,once we got the 2nd early in the 2nd half.Dont agree with making subs when Tadic was about to take the pen. Gamesmanship at its worse. Tadic missed but I laughed when VAR, late as ever, said retake. Careless to let them score and overall we should have scored more goals.Again Haller got a goal but he still does not impress me overall for 22 m.

Alvarez ok at CD but he should be back at DM on Thursday.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm

If this team would learn to counterattack like an Italian team, we could have had a half dozen more goals.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mar 07, 2021 2:33 pm

I would never want Ajax to play anything like an italian team!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo mar 07, 2021 2:36 pm

What some of us thought might be a tight match ended up an easy 3-1 win for Ajax. It was only marred by some poor defending on a set piece where a free header got one back for Groningen at the end of the 90 minutes. Ajax solved the defensive-minded visitors quite easily and should have added to their goal total. Ajax again went to a three man back line with Martinez anchoring the center with Alvarez and Gravenberch on either side. It turned out to be a free flowing formation with Alvarez sometimes pushing up field and Timber dropping back. Lots of good performances on the day and I'll single out Tadic as the MOTM for his excellent play with the ball. It was harsh to have the missed PK called back but the right call as the Groningen player who went in early was the one who headed the ball away after it hit the cross bar. Had he not touched it, I suspect there would have been no retake.

Player Ratings:

Stekelenburg (7) - came up with two big saves but other than that it was routine with just a lot of kicking to do
Tagliafico (6.5) - good to have him back in the lineup; decent enough on the day but rather quiet going forward
Martinez (7) - solid game manning the center of defense
Alvarez (7) - first match on the back line and he continued to be a force winning duels and making some good interventions, it was his shot that drew the hand ball for the penalty
Timber (7.5) - just another wonderful game from a player who is so cool on the ball and sees openings to run into, had he not had a poor touch on the one run into free space he might have had a spectacular goal
Gravenberch (7) - got out of his recent funk with a very fine match; he took his chance well on the first goal
Kudus (5.5) - still rusty and had some cheap give aways
Klaassen (6.5) - industrious as ever
Tadic (7.5) - very fine match from the captain
Haller (6) - got the match winner on an easy tap in but had some poor decisions, lingering on the ball too long
Neres (7.5) - very fine on the day with some excellent passing and field awareness
Ekelenkamp (6.5) - came off the bench and put in a fine shift with some good passing and pressing
Idrissi (NR) - on for the final part of the 2nd half
Antony (NR) - on for the final part of the 2nd half
Labyad (NR) - on very late

Thursday Night Lights, the Euro version continues with a match against Young Boys coming right up followed by a trip to take on PEC Zwolle
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo mar 07, 2021 2:38 pm

SPL schreef:
zo mar 07, 2021 2:17 pm
Tadic missed but I laughed when VAR, late as ever, said retake.
VAR is not consulted until play is stopped in these situations according to the rules. See my match comment for why it was the correct call.

Plaats reactie