03 NOV 2021; Dortmund - Ajax; CL Group Match Day 4

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

kezme44

Re: 03 NOV 2021; Dortmund - Ajax; CL Group Match Day 4

Bericht door kezme44 » wo nov 03, 2021 10:56 pm

Amol schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 10:50 pm
We're actually trying to run down the clock as well. Wow. We've grown mentally so much since 2019.
I know! I was amazed by the self composure usually lacking in these circumstances :biggthumpup.gif:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo nov 03, 2021 11:09 pm

Great win and once it was 2-1 we had the rare sight of Ajax keeping possession for nearly 10 mins ,blimey thats unheard of.

Antony MOM but Klaassen and Kudus coming on as subs did give some extra strength from MF . Pasveer may have got to the penalty quicker but again he had a very good game and did not let us down. Onana now available but Pasveer should keep playing.

Right a really great day in Dortmund as the U 18 won 1-0 earlier.We can now relax as we are in the last 16 ,now need to stop dropping points in the league.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo nov 03, 2021 11:11 pm

A flattering win marred by the RC against Hummels. I have to cook dinner now and will post ratings later on tonight. Antony is of course the MOTM.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm

Amol schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 10:48 pm
In a way yes. We've had control of the game since the silly red card, but haven't really been creating many chances.
In the phase between their penalty and Tadic's equaliser, it looked to me like Dortmund were more likely to score a sucker punch on the break. I think that would've been game over. They had a few pre-chances but the goal never materialised. That's why I think Ajax were lucky.

But we can forget that, the record will show 6 points from BVB with a goal difference of +6!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo nov 03, 2021 11:31 pm

Tom_ schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 10:55 pm
I think we are guaranteed to finish 1st now?
Correction. If Sporting win twice they can get to 12 points, but they would have to beat Ajax by more than the 5–1 Ajax got against them in Portugal to go top. So we have effectively won the group.

:biggthumpup.gif:

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo nov 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Tom_ schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm
Amol schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 10:48 pm
In a way yes. We've had control of the game since the silly red card, but haven't really been creating many chances.
In the phase between their penalty and Tadic's equaliser, it looked to me like Dortmund were more likely to score a sucker punch on the break. I think that would've been game over. They had a few pre-chances but the goal never materialised. That's why I think Ajax were lucky.

But we can forget that, the record will show 6 points from BVB with a goal difference of +6!
I saw it slightly differently. We were trying to take over the game - but it's always difficult against 10 men. I knew if we moved them around (which we were), they would tire somewhere in the 2nd half. When Klassen came on, we ended up gaining more control in the MF which calmed our game down a bit.

You're right - there was danger of us giving up a goal on the counter.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do nov 04, 2021 12:02 am

And I agree - Pasveer stays on as #1. He's in good form right now and saved us 2-3 times today. Almost saved the penalty as well.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do nov 04, 2021 1:17 am

It looked from the get go that Dortmund were prepared to pressure Ajax and get goals. The defense held up OK and Pasveer was able to keep things sorted out. Then came a very questionable RC to Hummels and all of the sudden Ajax were playing against 10. Dortmund were awarded a penalty by VAR which on seeing the replay was justified. Reus shot low and Pasveer did get a late hand on the ball but not enough to keep it out of the net. Ajax came out in the second half prepared to rotate the ball and look for openings. Dortmund stood strong but Antony came up with some excellent crosses to enable Ajax get the win and move on to the knock out round. It was good to see Ajax closing the game out in the final ten minutes by controlling the ball. Too bad they did not do this back in 2019 against Tottenham.

Player Ratings:

Pasveer (7.5) - alert in the goal and great on the ball as well, his kicking as exemplary
Blind (7) - good game but did give the ball up cheaply leading to a Dortmund break
Martinez (6.5) - stumbled early on and was bailed out by Pasveer who got a hand to a knock the ball away from the Dortmund striker
Timber (7) - solid on the game
Mazraoui (7.5) - really good on the overlap and interplay with Antony
Alvarez (4) - poor game; didn't control the MF at all and picked up a silly YC
Gravenberch (6.5) - just shy of a 7 for me, did OK handling the ball but was overrun early in the game
Berghuis (6.5) - above average is all
Tadic (7.5) - went hard for the deflected cross got the goal before crashing into the upright
Haller (7) - worked hard and was rewarded with the match winner
Antony (8) - strong on the ball and his crosses were outstanding
Klaassen (6.5) - nice goal to cap things off
Kudus (6) - showed some flashes with the ball

Go Ahead Eagles on Sunday followed by another international break. Besiktas come up with a trip to Turkey at the end of the month.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do nov 04, 2021 6:00 am

Amol schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 11:59 pm
I saw it slightly differently. We were trying to take over the game - but it's always difficult against 10 men. I knew if we moved them around (which we were), they would tire somewhere in the 2nd half. When Klassen came on, we ended up gaining more control in the MF which calmed our game down a bit.
Good points, that is all exactly what ended up happening. They were completely unable to chase the ball in the last 10 minutes.

I was just being a hand-wringer... I saw a lot of mistakes in Ajax's ball handling, especially in the first half and it was giving me that step-on-a-rake feeling. I think Gravenberch and Martinez both had a lot of turnovers as well as Alvarez (already pointed out by Orange). And when Blind dribbled the ball into Dortmund's box and just handed it over, totally out of position, I thought "uh oh, here we go".

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do nov 04, 2021 4:35 pm

https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/ ... 2569663489

Erik ten Hag has only lost one away game in the #UCL as Ajax manager:

Draw vs Bayern
Draw vs Benfica
Win vs AEK
Win vs Real Madrid
Win vs Juventus
Win vs Spurs
Win vs Valencia
Draw vs Chelsea
Win vs Lille
Draw vs Atalanta
Win vs Midtjylland
Defeat vs Liverpool
Win vs Sporting
Win vs BVB
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do nov 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Was the Liverpool defeat the one where Onana totally screwed up and let in a very weak goal? I know it was in one of the two matches but don't remember if it was the away game.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do nov 04, 2021 6:22 pm

Tom_ schreef:
do nov 04, 2021 6:00 am
Amol schreef:
wo nov 03, 2021 11:59 pm
Good points, that is all exactly what ended up happening. They were completely unable to chase the ball in the last 10 minutes.

I was just being a hand-wringer... I saw a lot of mistakes in Ajax's ball handling, especially in the first half and it was giving me that step-on-a-rake feeling. I think Gravenberch and Martinez both had a lot of turnovers as well as Alvarez (already pointed out by Orange). And when Blind dribbled the ball into Dortmund's box and just handed it over, totally out of position, I thought "uh oh, here we go".
So far this season - we've done better against teams wanting to attack us. We have struggled against teams which just sit back and defend in numbers. Dortmund falls into the first category so I knew we had a chance.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do nov 04, 2021 9:07 pm

Orange14 schreef:
do nov 04, 2021 5:53 pm
Was the Liverpool defeat the one where Onana totally screwed up and let in a very weak goal? I know it was in one of the two matches but don't remember if it was the away game.
Yes. Back then Ajax fans supported him, now they are throwing it in his face, saying 'all because of you we lost our away record in the CL'

Plaats reactie