19 FEB 2022; Willem II - Ajax; Match Day 23

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

19 FEB 2022; Willem II - Ajax; Match Day 23

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 17, 2022 1:29 pm

Ajax are on the road this Saturday against struggling Willem II. Next week they reenter CL competition against Benfica. Matches are still coming fast as another midweek match is on the schedule with a cup tie against AZ the first week of March.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Re: 19 FEB 2022; Willem II - Ajax; Match Day 23

Bericht door SPL » za feb 19, 2022 6:41 pm

Klaassen stays and Gravenberch sub. Need the win to maintain the 5 point lead as PSV will probably win tomorrow.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 19, 2022 7:42 pm

A very poor 45 mins by Ajax ,this looks like another 0-0 draw like those Heracles GAE games earlier in the season.Luckily old boy Nunnely ,who is very quick, has zero ball control ,hence he never made it with us.

Our front 3 have done nothing so far so it can only get better we hope.

This is the sort of game we need Brobbey to come on .

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » za feb 19, 2022 8:39 pm

I didn’t think we were going to win this one

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 19, 2022 8:50 pm

We somehow won in pouring rain and dreadful conditions.Tadic disallowed goal Antony marginally offside I think . Somehow Timber got the ball in the net ,hope he is fit for Benfica.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za feb 19, 2022 10:08 pm

Timber is fit, Tagliafico slight doubt he picked up a knock in training

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 19, 2022 10:28 pm

The guy who writes match reviews on Ajax Showtime thought the offside for Tadic goal was wrong.I assumed it was against Antony but even then thought the goal was ok.I was shocked it wasn't given ! Thankfully Justin won the game with his goal.

ETH clearly was not happy with VAR either.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za feb 19, 2022 11:31 pm

Just finished watching the replay. Awful conditions from start to finish with a driving rain and wind. Pitch was pretty much waterlogged for the last 10 minutes. Ajax had one called back by VAR because of a narrow off sides but Timber came up with the match winner and slid into the post suffering a minor leg injury. Ajax tried to play some tight in football when they had the ball inside the penalty box but had shot after shot blocked by Willem II defenders. Pasveer was not threatened much at all and only made one simple save. Benfica up mid week in Lisbon under what should be better weather conditions.

Player Ratings:

Pasveer (6) - did some able kicking under poor conditions
Blind (6) - had some poor passes and one bad give away early on but otherwise was decent
Martinez (7) - solid again defensively
Timber (7) - got the match winner so he has to be MOTM by default
Mazraoui (6.5) - OK match, spending much of the game in the offensive half
Alvarez (5.5) - OK given the conditions
Berghuis (6) - a lot of movement in the match but couldn't make the killer pass
Klaassen (6) - better than average
Tadic (6.5) - worked hard with the ball but things got too tight inside the box
Haller (6.5) - really good hold up play and ball control
Antony (6) - had the ball a lot but constantly bottled up
Gravenberch (6) - solid coming off the bench
Danilo (6) - worked hard to give the team another outlet up front
Schuurs (NR) - on late for Timber and knew exactly what to do when the ball came to him - kick it as far down field as possible

Ajax set a record for most league games without a loss with the win today.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za feb 19, 2022 11:33 pm

SPL schreef:
za feb 19, 2022 10:28 pm
The guy who writes match reviews on Ajax Showtime thought the offside for Tadic goal was wrong.I assumed it was against Antony but even then thought the goal was ok.I was shocked it wasn't given ! Thankfully Justin won the game with his goal.

ETH clearly was not happy with VAR either.
The ESPN feed here in the US showed a clear off sides. Can't complain much as this is the first VAR decision in a long time to go against Ajax. Usually we get those decisions.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Thanks Orange 14 for confirmation on the VAR offside.

In general I would get rid of VAR,just need a goal line camera to ensure the ball has gone over the line for a goal. The delays for VAR and issues they cause I would rather just stick to non VAR footy. My local team Worthing are in level 7 of the football pyramid and no VAR.Its much more enjoyable knowing the game is not being stopped for 4/5 mins to see if the ball has gone over the touchline ie Blind v PSV .

End of rant!

PS Worthing are top of the league by 6 points with a game in hand ,the coach's idea of football looks like he has read Johan Cruyff's book of coaching and at the end we get 3 Little Birds played ,which only makes me want to be in the JC Area.

Back to last night we now have won 10 in a row since our last defeat and let in One goal,Timber's rare mistake v PSV.Keep it up v Benfica.

Plaats reactie