16 OCT 2022; Ajax - Excelsior; Match Day 10

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

16 OCT 2022; Ajax - Excelsior; Match Day 10

Bericht door Orange14 » do okt 13, 2022 1:17 pm

Back to league play on Sunday with Excelsior coming to Amsterdam. This should be a winnable game. No midweek CL as Ajax will get a breather before hosting Liverpool on October 25. Amazingly Ajax can still make the CL knock out round if they beat Liverpool by two goals and Napoli beat them on the final match day. One always needs to remain optimistic!!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Re: 16 OCT 2022; Ajax - Excelsior; Match Day 10

Bericht door SPL » do okt 13, 2022 7:46 pm

Blind will still play and Tadic maybe at left side leaving Bergwijn to play out of position at 10.If Kudus stays as striker think the white hankies will be out for the coach.Reading online most fans want him out.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do okt 13, 2022 10:05 pm

I would like to see Kik Perie called up from Jong Ajax and given a shot at LCB. He is really good with the ball and quicker than Blind. I know some don't rate him but we are running out of options. I still have not see a definitive injury report on Kaplan's knee problems.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo okt 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Just realised having been out for the last 2 Saturdays ie missed GAE and Volendam I last watch a league game v AZ, seems a long time .Cannot remember missing 2 league games in a row before.

Should be an easy win today but the GAE and Volendam games should have been easy.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo okt 16, 2022 6:41 pm

Finally Brobbey starts ,Kudus sub.Klaassen for injured Taylor,Tadic back and Blind still plays LCD.

Any sort of win will do but with PSV and Feyenoord with good wins today we cannot afford to drop points like GAE.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo okt 16, 2022 7:51 pm

Excelsior are extermely poor and only some great saves and timely blocks have kept the number of goals down. I don't think this is much of a test for Ajax as there is no quickness from the opponents and every Ajax player seems to be beating defenders 1 v 1. Still the goals were nice as were some of the attempts that were saved. No midweek game this week so maybe Ajax can get their mojo back.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo okt 16, 2022 7:55 pm

Very comfortable so far 3 goals and should have been 6

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo okt 16, 2022 9:01 pm

Just what Ajax needed a big win,ok should have got 10 and we did give away a silly soft goal but it was a good all round performance against a poor side.
Finally our coach starts with a proper striker and Brobbey adds a heck of a lot more than the lightweight Kudus at striker.Conceicao looks very quick and needs more playing time and why do we put the left footed Baas on at RB!

Bergwijn's goal an absolute beauty.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo okt 16, 2022 9:09 pm

Lots of goals for Ajax tonight and there could have easily been 5-6 more that were either saved or blocked. Given the poor recent performance by Ajax, maybe this will be a confidence builder but the opponent was extremely poor. Excelsior were slow and poorly organized leaving huge spaces to be exploited. Ajax had 29 shots with 20 of them on goal. Ajax had some sloppy play during the game that would have been punished by top rate teams and still needs to work on field awareness and making sure passes are crisper. It was good to see Brobbey get almost the full game at striker. He held the ball up well and had some very good runs. Conceicao looked very lively in the short period he was on the field at RW. No CL match this week and RKC Waalwijk next Saturday ahead of Liverpool coming to Amsterdam.

Player Ratings (I can't justify more than a 7 for any player given the quality of the opposition)

Pasveer (6) - had a quiet game and was beaten by a decent header
Sanchez (7) - solid game and nice to see him on the scoreboard
Timber (7) - quietly good
Blind (6.5) - fortunately did not have to do much defending and came off at the half
Bassey (7) - had a good first half going forward at LB and was decent defending in the second sliding over to the center
Alvarez (7) - amazing that he did not score with any of his three chances but had a solid game none the less
Klaassen (6.5) - typical workman like game from Klaassen
Berghuis (6.5) - ended up with the match winner when Excelsior scored and one of those who was sloppy with the ball on more than one occasion
Berwign (7) - finally got on the scoreboard in the 2nd half and relished the large amount of space he was offered
Brobbey (7) - solid game and had two nice goals along with good hold up play; this should put an end to the Kudus experiment
Tadic (7) - excels against this level of competition and he can easily beat defenders who are too slow and out of position
Wijndal (6) - good to see him finally get into the team again after being out injured
Concicao (6) - very good in the short time he was on the field; super quick and able to put in a good cross with his off foot
Kudus (6) - need to see more of him as a MF!!!
Baas (NR) - on late
Lucca (NR) - on late

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo okt 16, 2022 9:13 pm

SPL schreef:
zo okt 16, 2022 9:01 pm
why do we put the left footed Baas on at RB!
I think because Sanchez was out injured for a while and the only other possibilities were to put in Magallan and slide Timber out or sub in Regeer. Remember Mazraoui played some LB a couple of times when Tagliafico was out. I may be wrong but I think one of those times was in 2019 against Juventus

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo okt 16, 2022 9:25 pm

Regeer has played RB but has this season gone back mainly to DM.I guess 10 mins of Baas at Rb is better than Magallan coming on.

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » di okt 18, 2022 1:52 am

nice victory against a side that looked at times like an amateur team. played well and scored 7 goals, whatever that’s worth. nice to see wijndal come in at halftime and I wonder if this was a change of guards. brobbey played well and kudus looked dynamic in the midfield as he came on. agree that brobbey is a better option as a forward but kudus did well in that position and I’d like to see both as starters. tadic played decent but definitely way too slow and conceicao should get more playing time. also bergwijn scored right away when he was switched onto the left side and schreuder needs to figure that one out. he gave an interesting press conference today and definitely looked like someone who is afraid for his job

Plaats reactie