09 FEB 2023; FC Twente - Ajax; Beker Round of 16

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

09 FEB 2023; FC Twente - Ajax; Beker Round of 16

Bericht door Orange14 » ma feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm

A trip to Enschede is coming up in the Beker. Ajax surely will seek revenge from the listless 10 man draw.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Amol

Re: 09 FEB 2023; FC Twente - Ajax; Beker Round of 16

Bericht door Amol » do feb 09, 2023 5:52 pm

Same lineup as the weekend Eredivisie game.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Hope to find a stream as Mola Tv shows league games only.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 09, 2023 7:38 pm

tight first half 0-0 Twente had slightly better chances than Ajax. Ajax positioning in the field is much better than under Schreuder and they seem to be doing a better job of pressing.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 09, 2023 7:45 pm

Clearly I am not going to watch Twente.After the league game where I could not get a working stream I have watched on Mola which is official site for UK for Dutch Eredivisie. Alas tonight I have to find a stream and nothing has change since 4 weeks ago ie 3 main sites every link is identical and wont connect so I will give up tonight and dont have much hope for Union Berlin game .

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do feb 09, 2023 8:22 pm

SPL schreef:
do feb 09, 2023 7:45 pm
Clearly I am not going to watch Twente.After the league game where I could not get a working stream I have watched on Mola which is official site for UK for Dutch Eredivisie. Alas tonight I have to find a stream and nothing has change since 4 weeks ago ie 3 main sites every link is identical and wont connect so I will give up tonight and dont have much hope for Union Berlin game .
Yeah.. it’s a pity that you support a small country team… :smallgrin.gif:

Ajax 1-0 up, great goal by Kudus with a perfect setup from Tadic.

Hopefully there is a German stream source for the Union Berlin game.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do feb 09, 2023 8:46 pm

That’s a win! Solid performance. Not pretty, but we are showing character and determination.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 09, 2023 8:58 pm

A nice combination goal by Kudus was the match winner as Ajax head into the next round of the Cup with a 0-1 victory. Ajax defended well in the 2nd half and were the dominant team. The positional play is so much better than under Schreuder and free kicks don't seem to be as big an adventure. Ajax did a good job in duels winning the majority of them and were good at clearing the ball in the box.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (7) - had one tough save to make but otherwise was not troubled
Rensch (7) - good defending today
Timber (7) - had a very weak pass early in the first half that was intercepted but he recovered to make an good initervention
Alvarez (7) - strong game with just a single weak pass that marred his performance; moved up in to the MF with 12 minutes to go
Wijndal (6.5) - maybe should have done better going forward but it good game overall
Taylor (6.5) - had a couple of poor passes but also had a good shot on goal that forced a smart save
Davy One Goal (6) - decent game even if he did not get his goal
Berghuis (6.5) - had a poor pass late in the match that forced him to foul conceding a free kick deep in the Ajax half
Kudus (7.5) - had to keep the ball at his feet with two defenders close by and then beat the keeper which he did
Tadic (7) - very good ball possession and his pass to Kudus led to the game winner
Bergwijn (6) - decent enough
Conceicao (6) - had a decent spell coming in for Klaassen and his pass to Tadic led to the goal
Brobbey (5) - had a couple of passes but not much involved
Bassey (6) - on late for defense and delivered

RKC waalwijk comming up on the weekend

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 09, 2023 9:13 pm

At least missing the 2 games v Twente I have not missed goals .

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 09, 2023 9:47 pm

I have for a few weeks now said our squad is short and today the best 11 started with the 3 subs used the only real back up.
Lucca wont get any playing time with Tadic striker and Brobbey sub. Sanchez has been over taken by Regeer and wont get any playing time . Regeer and Hato will get a few minutes as full backs and hopefully Fitz-Jim will get minutes but these 3 will still be the main stays for Young Ajax and not ready to start for the 1st.

If Timber or Alvarez get an injury which keeps them out for a few games our defence will be paper thin.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do feb 09, 2023 10:03 pm

Couldn't find any channel/service to watch the game. However a 0-1 Cup victory at Twente is pretty solid.

Heitinga also brought on Bassey to play LCB and I'm guessing moved Alvarez up a line. That's amazing as I think he's preparing for the Union Berlin game or for other sides where we'd need a more defensive minded DM than Taylor.

He also seems to be making a lot of common sense subs which is so refreshing. Brings Chico on, and moves Kudus back into Klaassen's spot. Makes so much sense and he actually did it.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 09, 2023 11:32 pm

Amol schreef:
do feb 09, 2023 10:03 pm
Heitinga also brought on Bassey to play LCB and I'm guessing moved Alvarez up a line. That's amazing as I think he's preparing for the Union Berlin game or for other sides where we'd need a more defensive minded DM than Taylor.
Yes, that is how the Bassey sub worked. Alvarez was really good on the ball in the match today.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do feb 09, 2023 11:34 pm

Orange14 schreef:
do feb 09, 2023 11:32 pm
Amol schreef:
do feb 09, 2023 10:03 pm
Yes, that is how the Bassey sub worked. Alvarez was really good on the ball in the match today.
We finally have a coach who's able to play with 2 types of DMs - offensive minded vs more defensive minded.

Some of here have been screaming about this for a while. You don't need a defensive DM against park the bus sides.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr feb 10, 2023 1:03 am

These lineups do make more sense but it’s not making the players any better!

The defenders and MFs are so poor on the ball, they are always going to struggle to build up from the back against a good press.

Lucky today that Twente didn’t have the quality to do anything with the turnovers they generated.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr feb 10, 2023 4:58 am

Tom_ schreef:
vr feb 10, 2023 1:03 am
These lineups do make more sense but it’s not making the players any better!
I saw 15 minutes of highlights after I posted and I'm updating my view of the game. Oh my :blush.gif:
The defenders and MFs are so poor on the ball, they are always going to struggle to build up from the back against a good press.

Lucky today that Twente didn’t have the quality to do anything with the turnovers they generated.
We were getting run over. I saw 3 really terrible misplaced passes from Timber, Alvarez and Taylor. A better side would've scored at least 2 goals from those 3.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr feb 10, 2023 1:55 pm

Also, Alvarez could easily have got himself sent off in about the 20th minute for a deliberate foul when Misidjan got in on goal.

Not complaining , but all in all I think Ajax rode their luck in this game!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 10, 2023 2:34 pm

I forgot to note that our loanee Salah-Eddine started for Twente as a MF and not LB which has been his normal position with Ajax youth teams. He had a decent match.

In response to some of the comments above, yes there were some poor passes that led to attacking attempts. However, I think the spacing of players and positioning was much better than under Schreuder when they were all over the place. Ajax were able to recover quite well and defended free kicks very well. When teams are in transition as a result of transfers in and out it takes a while to get things figured out. At least Heitinga is not putting players where they don't belong. As SPL notes, the roster is very thin right now and we are seeing other teams have big problems as well. Feyenoord have lost several defenders and their #1 GK to injuries. PSV have a crap manager and AZ are inconsistent. I still think this will come down to the last match day and hope Heitinga can continue to bring stability to the team.

We will see next week how this team really stacks up against a strong opponent.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr feb 10, 2023 3:06 pm

Orange14 schreef:
vr feb 10, 2023 2:34 pm
I forgot to note that our loanee Salah-Eddine started for Twente as a MF and not LB which has been his normal position with Ajax youth teams. He had a decent match.

In response to some of the comments above, yes there were some poor passes that led to attacking attempts. However, I think the spacing of players and positioning was much better than under Schreuder when they were all over the place. Ajax were able to recover quite well and defended free kicks very well. When teams are in transition as a result of transfers in and out it takes a while to get things figured out. At least Heitinga is not putting players where they don't belong. A
Oh I 100% agree. Heitinga is already way better than Schreuder.

But I just took my rose tinted glasses off for a minute, so I can watch the next few games in the right perspective.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za feb 11, 2023 12:25 am

Agreed, they’re much better organised and the teamwork has obviously improved.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 11, 2023 1:43 pm

Watched the 15 min highlights but apart from the goal nothing really to be excited about .Organisation and teamwork has improved under Heitinga.

Draw tonight but it will be PSV or Utrecht away. Why not Feyenoord away is easy they have already been told the draw is fixed and they will be home to non league Spakenburg

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za feb 11, 2023 11:55 pm

Ajax drew de Graafschap in the quarterfinal of the Beker

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 12, 2023 1:27 pm

Good draw for us as we dont need to play a tough cup game v PSV or Feyenoord at this stage of the season.

PS I really did think Feyenoord would get Spakenburg!!

Plaats reactie