26 FEB 2023; Vitesse - Ajax; Match Day 23

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

26 FEB 2023; Vitesse - Ajax; Match Day 23

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 23, 2023 11:30 pm

Ajax travel to Vitesse after getting knocked out of Europe. The match should be interesting because Vitesse have not extended their contract for the arena in Arnehm. If they don't have a place to play, they can lose their football license.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

GangstaRiB

Re: 26 FEB 2023; Vitesse - Ajax; Match Day 23

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr feb 24, 2023 9:34 am

Vitesse and their stadium. An absurd example how football (including 20-something-year old mediocre players that earn waaaaay too much) is supported by tax payer money.

When Vitesse got into financial problems (happened several times already), the local government 'purchased' the stadium from Vitesse for hundreds of millions. When Vitesse recovered from their financial problems, they were allowed to buy the stadium back for a 'symbolic' value of 1 euro.

On-topic: I don't expect sexy football from Ajax this season. Just grind games to a victory. If Ajax wins every game from now on they will be champions. But Ajax is never going to win every game, so we must hope that Feyenoord also slips-up somewhere.

So I expect that Vitesse-Ajax will be an ugly game, but only focus on three points and get the hell out of there.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 24, 2023 2:44 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
vr feb 24, 2023 9:34 am

On-topic: I don't expect sexy football from Ajax this season. Just grind games to a victory. If Ajax wins every game from now on they will be champions. But Ajax is never going to win every game, so we must hope that Feyenoord also slips-up somewhere.

So I expect that Vitesse-Ajax will be an ugly game, but only focus on three points and get the hell out of there.
Yes, I agree. I think we often have unrealistic expectations that Ajax will have lots of 2019 like seasons when the reality is we have lots of Frank de Boer ones. I hope they get a savvy technical director on board ASAP so they can figure out the right way to overhaul the club and don't transfer in players who are just not that good. It is very difficult running a football team these days.

Ajax will continue to see teams playing ultra defensive football hoping to score on counters.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 24, 2023 2:59 pm

Only benefit of being Ko'd last is we can concentrate on trying to win the title. Apart from the Cup game next Thursday and a possible semi mid week in April we just have league games once a week .

We have a small squad summed up last night as all 3 subs are not good enough to play 90 mins . Brobbey scores goals as sub ,Conceicao is still lightweight and good for 20 mins.Lucca is not an Ajax style player and with Tadic in the striking role wont get more than an odd 10 mins Wijndal will still alternate with Bassey.

Sanchez is poor and Grillitsch,has never been fully fit and I dont expect him to be more than a sub.These 2 will get playing time that Regeer and Fitz-Jim should be getting.

So Ajax need to focus on 3 points at Arnhem.Wijndal probably will play and Alvarez CD ,Bassey sub.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 26, 2023 1:49 pm

No line up yet, at least I will be able to watch on a proper stream today.Feyenoord looking like getting a win in Sittard so we must win.

Looks like Wijndal will replace Bassey with Alvarez Cd. Reading the debate of our starting line up on Ajax Showtime and against the lower sides ,who are hard to break down, I would go with Alvarez at CD and play a more creative MF.Like some of my Dutch fans I too would start with Fitz-Jim .

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 26, 2023 1:53 pm

Just confimed Wijndal starts ,Bassey sub ,the rest unchanged.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo feb 26, 2023 3:19 pm

Is it me or is the game showing in slowmotion?

Vitesse scores and within 1 minute, Klaassen equalized. Besides that.. Ajax are really poor.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 26, 2023 3:24 pm

Not good so far , Davy was just about on side.

PS I now have a proper stream site for games but today my internet connection decides to play up luckily for only a minute or 2

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo feb 26, 2023 3:29 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
zo feb 26, 2023 3:19 pm
Is it me or is the game showing in slowmotion?

Vitesse scores and within 1 minute, Klaassen equalized. Besides that.. Ajax are really poor.
The team really needs to play with a double pivot in MF the way they did with Frenkie and Schone. Drop Davy One Goal and put in Fitz=Jim along side Taylor. They would get much faster ball rotation and fewer turnovers. Berghuis can float in the middle. It's really so obvious.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » zo feb 26, 2023 4:01 pm

Ajax really need an overhaul this summer, what a nightmare, let's be honest, the amount of players that are Ajax material currently can be counted on one hand. Brobbey, Kudus, Tadic, Timber. That means there needs to be a clearout.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo feb 26, 2023 4:27 pm

Rulli MOTM for me.

The rest is worrying. Brobbey (20 million), Bassey (23 million), Bergwijn (30 million), Wijndal (5 million) are either not good enough or are just simply giving up. Heitinga needs to set some standards otherwise these players will ruin everything for Ajax.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo feb 26, 2023 4:29 pm

Not going to complain about getting three points from that game. Yikes.

The midfield is so bad, and Kudus is so good in the middle, I really don’t see why he starts on the wing. It’s also probably time to think about benching Bergwijn.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo feb 26, 2023 4:39 pm

This team makes things so difficult with errant passes and some dicey play from Rulli. They escape with a 1-2 win in Arnehm but really should have killed the game off with some better finishing. They are still 3 points adrift of Feyenoord but the lions share of the possession didn't seem to mean much today. I continue to think that the MF needs another player with good ball skills. Alvarez is so much better as a CB with the field in front of him and he doesn't have to struggle as much with his passing. Davy One Goal just cannot get the job done. I would opt for Taylor and Fitz-Jim as a double pivot the way EtH used de Jong and Schone in 2019. Maybe we will see something different against de Graafschap in the cup match this week. At least we came away with a win rather than a draw.

Rulli (6.5) - he gets a full point off for some bonehead passing but made some very good saves
Rensch (5) - not much offense but he defended well
Alvarez (7) - strong game with the game wonder and some good interventions
Timber (6.5) - decent enough game
Wijndal (5) - sloppy with the ball on one occasion and had to take a YC, he did go forward purposefully
Taylor (6.5)- all around decent but needs a partner in the MF
Berghuis (5.5) - subbed off at the half
Davy One Goal (6) - got his goal and not much else though he always plays hard
Kudus (6.5)- puzzling game with both excellent and mediocre moments with the former outnumbering the latter
Tadic (6) - put in a hard shift
Bergwijn (6) - good on the ball but couldn't get in shooting position
Bassey (6) - strong enough on defense which was needed
Brobbey (6) - had a couple of chances on goal and held the ball up well
Hato (NR) - on late

Cup match coming up on Thursday and home to NEC next weekend

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo feb 26, 2023 4:42 pm

Ayman schreef:
zo feb 26, 2023 4:01 pm
Ajax really need an overhaul this summer, what a nightmare, let's be honest, the amount of players that are Ajax material currently can be counted on one hand. Brobbey, Kudus, Tadic, Timber. That means there needs to be a clearout.
They don't have enough money for an overhaul. They will bet some money for Timber and Kudus. Alvarez is decent but nobody is going to pay top money for him. The supervisory board will not free up money to be spent for expensive players which are the only ones that can make an impact.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo feb 26, 2023 4:42 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
zo feb 26, 2023 4:27 pm
Rulli MOTM for me.
HIs two miscues with the ball were troubling

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 26, 2023 4:43 pm

A hard fought win and this was what was missing under Schreuder. Still think Hato at 16 is as good as Wijndal and I did think Bassey was good enough at what he did today. Timber is struggling this season and he does not look that special at present.

Agree there will be a big overhaul this summer. Kudus Alvarez and Timber will go and new signings Lucca Sanchez and Grillitsch can also go ,that of course leaves 12 1st teamers left!!!! Bassey and Bergwijn will get another season as no one will buy them at present.

Relief for 3 points and my internet was ok in the 2nd half

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo feb 26, 2023 4:52 pm

Orange14 schreef:
zo feb 26, 2023 4:42 pm
GangstaRiB schreef:
zo feb 26, 2023 4:27 pm
Rulli MOTM for me.
HIs two miscues with the ball were troubling
Maybe. But the amount of free-kicks and corner kicks he defuses by getting to the ball early is a great quality. Especially with the current state Ajax are in.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo feb 26, 2023 4:54 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
zo feb 26, 2023 4:52 pm

Maybe. But the amount of free-kicks and corner kicks he defuses by getting to the ball early is a great quality. Especially with the current state Ajax are in.
No argument for me!!! He is clearly an upgrade on the two old men that we have on the roster. I wonder if Gorter is good enough or Charlie Setford is the future #1

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 26, 2023 4:57 pm

Just to add we wont spend big money this summer even if we finish top and get automatic CL group spots. As I just posted above there has to be a big overhaul as we will lose 5 or 6 of our 18 .(Steks who will retire and Kaplan not included in the 18).Hato looks like getting more time but Fitz-Jim and Regeer are both coming up 20 and need to be playing Eredivisie level.Regeer really should have gone to Emmen in January for some experience.

Only other Young who looks like being in the squad next season is Vos ,a DM nearly 18 and looks very good.

Losing 10 players and replacing them with 10 new signings, some who are no better than our own youth players, was too much for this season and Tadic,Klaassen Berghuis and Pasveer( as no2) have only one more good season left for us at most.

Plaats reactie